Votes: 353 24.0%
  • Wait until PS5 and play it on that

Votes: 419 28.5%

• Total voters

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm not waiting for TLOU2. I will wait and see on GOT, and I think with that I'd rather just wait and get the benefit of improved graphics hopefully on PS5. TLOU2 will likely warrant a second playthrough which will be glorious on PS5!!

Joo

May 25, 2018
Yeah that's not an option for me. I'm not risking my hearing any more by playing a game loudly on headphones (which is what is required with the Pro).
Well after hearing some things about other consoles, I guess my base PS4 isn't the loudest, but I've just used noice cancelling headphones with certain games like RDR2 or GoW which make the fans pretty wild. Works great and you definitely can have the volume at whatever level is best. It's still a bit annoying that you absolutely have to use the headphones of course.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Not going to wait. TLOU is my favorite game and I've been highly expecting the sequel.
Also I won't be getting a PS5 anytime soon, possibly 1 year or more after launch.

Oct 27, 2017
I was waiting already. But you might as well wait, especially if Phil is right that there will be delays to gaming in the future.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
November is a long time away from June and July. And big releases have been scarce since COVID-19. I am not waiting to play games I can enjoy as I wait for the PS5 launch in the holidays

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
TLoU2 on PS4 Pro at release. Ghost it really depends - I'm back and forth on how much I want to play it.

In addition, if Sony don't have a specific launch game for me I might just sell my Pro after TLoU2 and wait till i pick up PS5 before trying Ghost.

Simo

Oct 26, 2017
Michigan, USA
Day zero on Pro for Ghost. Game looks sublime from the footage shown on Pro and I don't have a noise issue so no need to wait for me.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
I'd be shocked if either ran badly on PS4. Only PS4 exclusives that come to mind in that regards are Days Gone and TLG. Days Gone was later patched to run just fine and for TLG I think it was more the tumultuous development that heavily impacted his performance. Later SoTC ran on the same engine and performed well enough. TLoU2 is arguably Sony's flagship game of this gen, again I'd be shocked if it hasn't been optimised to run perfectly. And it's also not like SuckerPunch has history of poor performing games either. SS released early on in the PS4's life cycle and ran flawlessly from what I can remember, it'd be very surprising if the the proceeding years SuckerPunch actually got worse at using the PS4 hardware and not better.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I need to know whether they'll upgrade the games for free before really making that decision. If not, I don't mind waiting a bit.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I will wait, not because I want to, but because the Mexican peso is shit, and the price would be too much for me to buy both games at launch.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Well, that makes it even more likely that these two games will support BC.

No matter what the situation is I think it's safe to say that no 'Sony Computer Entertainment' game from the companies Sony owns is going to be without backwards compatability.

Honestly, how much better could they get? 4K and/or better lighting perhaps?

1440p/1600p Checkboarded -> Full 4K
Higher framerates or a more consistent framerate
Much faster load times
Better antisotropic filtering
Improved lighting
Etc etc

There's a fair amount of changes that could be made with a simple enhanced backwards compatability patch. If they go the full remaster route like with TLoU on PS4 then things could be improved even more.

zeuanimals

Nov 23, 2017
No matter what the situation is I think it's safe to say that no 'Sony Computer Entertainment' game from the companies Sony owns is going to be without backwards compatability.

1440p/1600p Checkboarded -> Full 4K
Higher framerates or a more consistent framerate
Much faster load times
Better antisotropic filtering
Improved lighting
Etc etc

There's a fair amount of changes that could be made with a simple enhanced backwards compatability patch. If they go the full remaster route like with TLoU on PS4 then things could be improved even more.

What are the chances pop-in in BC games is eliminated?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Impossible to answer until we know if Sony is going to make the game enhanced or not for the PS5 and if they do are they going to charge for it. I plan to wait and see on both games. Also OP your reasoning for PRO and it being a Jet Engine does not apply to all of us with a Pro. My PRO is pretty damn quiet...not Xbox One X quiet but not the jet engine that many complain about...so if I do play it on the Pro, noise is not something I consider since my unit is pretty quiet.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
Sorry you had to bring it up. Maybe you should place your pro on an even opened surface if not already, it might help.

No worries, you couldn't have known :)

I currently have it on the middle shelf of a glass TV stand like this one:

5e43ffef9289a4079838048b

There aren't really many other places I can put it.

I will be opening it up to check for dust and the like (my house is old and I've got dogs so who knows) but I'm not sure that'll help.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I'd go ahead and preorder the PS4 version of GoT if Sony would just freaking confirm crossbuy. I'm running out of patience with their inability to speak on the PS5.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
I kind of want to wait to play them on a PS5. I have a base PS4 so I could play them, but I'm comfortable waiting a bit more too. I think some of this depends on when we learn more about BC on PS5 and if there is going to be any significant advantages.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
At launch for tlou2. Fuck that nonsense about waiting to play on better hardware. I'm not waiting for cyberpunk either.

Ghosts I'm gonna wait till it drops in price and wait for impressions

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
What are the chances pop-in in BC games is eliminated?

Tbh I don't know, that's a question for a more educated person lol

What I do know is that even on my current high-end gaming rig with an SSD GTAV at 4K with literally every single setting turned to maximum still exhibits some pretty noticeable pop-in, whilst Spider-Man on a console decidedly less powerful than my PC has some of the best LOD management I've ever seen. So it might be more than just something that can be improved by simply better hardware.

Though I think pop-in will be more of an issue in GoT than TLoU:P2 seeing as that is an open-world game whereas the other is a much more directed experience.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I bought my Pro and a 4KTV for one reason and that was to play TLoU Part II when it launched. Day 1 for me. Ghost of Tsushima too, probably.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Nah those are both day 1s. And I like replaying games so seeing them updated on PS5 which they hopefully won't charge for lol is part of the appeal.

Does kinda suck for people without headphones though or a surround sound that can drown out the noise.

Even still TLOU2 is risky because those spoilers. That's a long wait between release and PS5.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
At this point I am no longer buying new games until the PS5 comes out. I'm ready for this gen to move on.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
TLoU 2 is day 1, after it everything else is probably just going to be a impulse buy or wait for PS5. GoT and CP2077 are the most likely games I just say "ah,fuck it" and buy though.

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm not playing another new AAA on my pro, the noise ruins it.

I'm just glad that I have my PC and, if push comes to shove, my Xbox One X for other AAA games.

I legitimately re-bought and then lost around 8 hours of progress with Assassin's Creed Odyssey because i didn't want to play it on my PS4 Pro anymore (the Pro I had before the Death Stranding one. Long story). It would go from 'jet engine' any time I was talking to a character to almost whisper-quiet no matter what. Playing RDR2 a few weeks after that with barely any noise whatsoever was just bliss tbh.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. Yeah, OP, now I understand why you're asking this question more. I have moderate tinnitus myself (about 45 dB loud when measuring it versus white noise adn a decibel meter), and having headphones with a good seal and using an decibel meter to measure before using them allows me to safely use headphones.

I've been fortunate in getting a launch model Pro that has never had a major sound issue. My launch model OG PS4 was louder.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
No worries, you couldn't have known :)

I currently have it on the middle shelf of a glass TV stand like this one:

5e43ffef9289a4079838048b

There aren't really many other places I can put it.

I will be opening it up to check for dust and the like (my house is old and I've got dogs so who knows) but I'm not sure that'll help.

This is going to sounds strange but a friend of mine has a similar TV stand and he doesn't keep the Pro on it anymore. Someone told him to move it on a wooden panel to reduce the noise, and it actually worked.

That said, in your case opening the console and cleaning whatever gunks inside will most likely help. Good luck!

MadraptorMan

Oct 27, 2017
Niigata, Japan
I'm pretty sure they're gonna be two of the hundred or so games the PS5's gonna have as backwards compatible at launch.

Yeah, and that is great, but I am specifically concerned about next gen versions of these games. They are coming about just months before the PS5 releases, and since I am 100% planning to buy a PS5, it makes me hesitate to jump in on PS4 versions right now.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TLOU 2 is a day one on my PS4 slim. Original was a masterpiece and I've managed to dodge the spoilers so far. Don't want to push my luck.

Ghost of Tsushima might as well be a PS5 launch title though.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm playing them right away to pass the time while we wait for the PS5 and/or the extinction of humanity.

Also, put on some damn headphones if your PS4 is soooo loud you just can't enjoy a game. 🙄

OP
OP
Plum

Plum

May 31, 2018
This is going to sounds strange but a friend of mine has a similar TV stand and he doesn't keep the Pro on it anymore. Someone told him to move it on a wooden panel to reduce the noise, and it actually worked.

Hmmm, that might be something to try. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Also, put on some damn headphones if your PS4 is soooo loud you just can't enjoy a game. 🙄

Already addressed that, read the thread.