• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
We've seen Kimikobro exhibit precise telekinetic control as well as immense power. He had no problem whipping human bodies several stories into the air through concrete with a gesture, uplifting a sea vessel and crashing it to shore, downing a helicopter from considerable distance, and bringing down enough debris to momentarily halt the strongest supe we've seen in Homelander.

So why the fuck would Kimikobro physically tackle Stormfront? Why would he not flick her off the roof? Why not crash her through the floor, as he did that vehicle? Why did he never attempt to defend himself? Every instance she used her power he had time and ability to use his. That entire scene, while dazzling for its special effects, was logically inconsistent with what the show had just displayed of his powerset.

Heroes went from brilliance to trash overnight because the writing become awful. It's a testament to how much better The Boys is that even with my issues in ep 3 I thought it was great. I hope we don't see more plot induced nerfs as blatant as this, though.
People keep assuming that he didnt try using his power on her during the chase that doesnt show them through the building.

If you happen to have caught the full trailer of season 2, then you should know why he cant stop her just like he couldnt stop Homelander in the open either. He just lucked out he could drop so much on Homie where he was, on top of using a surprise attack. She powered through everything in the building, no plane there.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still a bit confused over Homelander's son and the true nature of Compound-V. The audience knows about it going into S2 because of S1, and Homelander knows about it(?) because he's involved in smuggling it out to create supervillains, so how does his kid supposedly have his powers? Does the show want us to think they're ALSO inheritable? Is this supposed to be a second layer on top of the initial reveal?

Maybe the fourth episode will reel it all back in but as of right now the writing around this plot point is sloppy.
The doctor who created him said they didn't know the powers would transfer, but they did. So its assumed that the powers can transfer genetically since Compound V alters your genetic code or some shit.

Apr 19, 2018
A reminder for those who might have missed the announcement a month or two ago:

ew.com

Diabolical! 'The Boys' to drop a Billy Butcher short film to accompany season 2

'Butcher' will show what happened with Karl Urban's character off screen between seasons, per showrunner Eric Kripke.

Showrunner Eric Kripke revealed during a recent interview with Collider that a short film for The Boys centered on Karl Urban's Billy Butcher will drop later this year, "sometime in the middle of the release" of the second season. It will also let the audience know what's been going on with the diabolically smirky character off screen.

"As season 2 begins, Butcher is M.I.A. and then shows up," Kripke explains. "In episode 2, we originally shot something that revealed where he went and what his experiences were. But it ultimately didn't end up fitting that well into the episode because it made Butcher's story a lot less mysterious and intriguing, and it slowed down the rhythm."

So, now, all that material will be compiled and released as a short film called Butcher. Kripke calls it "a companion piece." "There are references in the show that won't make sense unless you see this thing," he says.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I will say I wasn't totally vibing with Homelander's son's acting but man...

For a kid actor he did sell that sort of seething rage there. Which makes sense considering he was first pushed off a roof and knocked out and then Homelander started to get rough with his mom.

It *might* have been discussed but is the whole reason for the gated community is because Vought wanted basically a "controlled" Homelander? One in theory likely far closer to the ideal, that being of Superman-like.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People keep assuming that he didnt try using his power on her during the chase that doesnt show them through the building.

If you happen to have caught the full trailer of season 2, then you should know why he cant stop her just like he couldnt stop Homelander in the open either. He just lucked out he could drop so much on Homie where he was, on top of using a surprise attack. She powered through everything in the building, no plane there.

He could've held in her place like he did to Kimiko. Or use his TK in anyway when her back was turned to him instead of jumping Stormfront.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed all three episodes, but did anyone feel Season 2 feels a bit... I don't know, disjointed in regards to Season 1?

Granted, its been a long time since I saw the Boys Season 1 - but I didn't expect Hughie to act like this/be treated like this when S2 started by the other members of the team/Butcher. I saw someone mention he's basically Shinji and I kinda laughed lol. Idk - it just feels like there's a huge chunk missing between Season 1 and 2. Anyone else feel like this or just me?

Besides that - I enjoyed the first 3 episodes! Solid as ever.

Last edited:

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I like that the show doesn't waste time reintroducing everyone but jumping straight into the celebrity PR aspect of the characters probably wasn't the best hook.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
A reminder for those who might have missed the announcement a month or two ago:

ew.com

Diabolical! 'The Boys' to drop a Billy Butcher short film to accompany season 2

'Butcher' will show what happened with Karl Urban's character off screen between seasons, per showrunner Eric Kripke.

Showrunner Eric Kripke revealed during a recent interview with Collider that a short film for The Boys centered on Karl Urban's Billy Butcher will drop later this year, "sometime in the middle of the release" of the second season. It will also let the audience know what's been going on with the diabolically smirky character off screen.

"As season 2 begins, Butcher is M.I.A. and then shows up," Kripke explains. "In episode 2, we originally shot something that revealed where he went and what his experiences were. But it ultimately didn't end up fitting that well into the episode because it made Butcher's story a lot less mysterious and intriguing, and it slowed down the rhythm."

So, now, all that material will be compiled and released as a short film called Butcher. Kripke calls it "a companion piece." "There are references in the show that won't make sense unless you see this thing," he says.
So what does this mean? We have to search for it separately or something?

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe. Maybe not. Some supes are clearly more powerful than others. And anyone in The Seven is supposed to be the best of the best.

I'm sure, but like the lack of attempt is what's bugging me. The whole sequence he was trying, but the one time it would've maybe worked he didn't. It also would've showcased how strong/scary she is

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
He could've held in her place like he did to Kimiko. Or use his TK in anyway when her back was turned to him instead of jumping Stormfront.

Kenji attacked her upfront so that she would focus on him and not Kimiko. He knew what would happen.
That's not him being dumb that's a sacrifice.

What is he gonna do with his TK ? She controls her momentum in mid air and she takes no damage as you saw her go through literal explosions and building collapsing, there was nothing to drop on her either and she was holding Kimiko already so throwing her away would do nothing as she wouldnt let go.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

For a kid actor he did sell that sort of seething rage there. Which makes sense considering he was first pushed off a roof and knocked out and then Homelander started to get rough with his mom.

It *might* have been discussed but is the whole reason for the gated community is because Vought wanted basically a "controlled" Homelander? One in theory likely far closer to the ideal, that being of Superman-like.

I think last season Vogel or someone says they realised they fucked up with Homelander by isolating him instead of raising him with a family. They're hoping Ryan is less of a sociopath if he grows up in a more normal life first instead of constantly being tested in a lab.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Kenji attacked her upfront so that she would focus on him and not Kimiko. He knew what would happen.

What is he gonna do with his TK ? She controls her momentum in mid air and she takes no damage as you saw her go through literal explosions and building collapsing, there was nothing to drop on her either and she was holding Kimiko already so throwing her away would do nothing as she wouldnt let go.
I guess people wonder could his TK overpower her raw strength? could he pry her hands off her?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I know this was mentioned last season but I was reminded of this by a Reddit post, guessing it's going to be clutch at some point:
mtngxd0x8kl51.jpg

Note the second super power.

Deleted member 11046

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

What could he do, we're asking of the guy who managed to bring down a helicopter with one stunted arm gesture while fighting off his super human sister. The same dude who lifted a sizable shipping vessel out of the sea and smashed it against a man on shore. We're asking what Kenji could have done when moments earlier he managed to briefly immobilize Homelander, something no other character has managed to do single-handedly. If Kimiko could apply physical kinetic force to lightly smash Stormfront against a wall a few times and that was enough to momentarily daze her, then Kenji's telekinesis (which far outstripped his sister's physical strength) should have been able to do much. much more.

But nope, in the final confrontation of his life he suddenly decides to get physical, despite being extremely trigger happy with his tk in every single other encounter up until then. It reeks of Heroes allowing the necessities of plot to interrupt internal show logic. That he died without putting up the fight that his prior feats clearly demonstrated he was capable of is aggravating.

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I wonder if and when Vought starts to intervene with Homelander and his influence on Ryan. As we know, corporate is just content waiting for him to get bored and leave but that isn't happening. And if we're to assume that the gated compound is an experiment of sorts to see what Ryan will become in a loving family situation, how much is too much Homelander? And what is there plan to stop him exactly? Really curious about that.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Just be sure to tag the spoilers like

MILK

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Reddit and Twitter are in meltdown mode over this being a weekly show now.

I'm personally fine with it as it gives me another thing to look forward to every week.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Not a big fan of what they are doing with The Deep

There is a fine line with ridiculing the dude and tryint to make we sympathize with an abuser and i don't think they that good at the distinction

What ?

Where did you took intersectional from? She literally is a racist =P

It's all going to be up to the viewer on whether you can redeem a rapist.

I think the show is trying to but softening the idea to people opposed to something like that by constantly humiliating and bullying him as a sort of penance.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
So, a few things.

One, I just started the new season today. Tonight. I just got done with episode 3. I was fully planning on staying up and finishing the whole thing. Guess I can't. That sucks.

More importantly, uh...

So how about that Stormfront? What a charming, winning personality she has.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What could he do, we're asking of the guy who managed to bring down a helicopter with one stunted arm gesture while fighting off his super human sister. The same dude who lifted a sizable shipping vessel out of the sea and smashed it against a man on shore. We're asking what Kenji could have done when moments earlier he managed to briefly immobilize Homelander, something no other character has managed to do single-handedly. If Kimiko could apply physical kinetic force to lightly smash Stormfront against a wall a few times and that was enough to momentarily daze her, then Kenji's telekinesis (which far outstripped his sister's physical strength) should have been able to do much. much more.

But nope, in the final confrontation of his life he suddenly decides to get physical, despite being extremely trigger happy with his tk in every single other encounter up until then. It reeks of Heroes allowing the necessities of plot to interrupt internal show logic. That he died without putting up the fight that his prior feats clearly demonstrated he was capable of is aggravating.

1) His powers did not work on Homelander...

He tried to drop him and Honelander flew.

The only reason he stopped him was because he lucked out that there were crazy heavy shit above him to drop on him.

2) he cant drop stormfront because she can levitate

3) she says , "awh you cant use your magic hands anymore", which 8mplies he did try to collapse the building on her in their fight offscreen when the building exploded ( which also explains why things fly out of it since that's not her powers )

3) Kenji got rid of Kimiko for a literal total of 3 seconds and she cant even fly..... nir was she trying to hurt him. Nor does she have instant zapping powers ....

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

The kid was on Big Little Lies and was surprisingly good on there. Also played the son of a psychopath.

Oct 2, 2018
I read the comics but I dont remember them much even though I read them last year - someone posted storm front's pages here and I was like oh

so

Episode 1+2 were boring

and the escalation in ep 3 was great and I'm looking forward to how the show advances.

I cant get over how hewie is the son of meg ryan and dennis quaid. I can't unsee it now everytime he's on screen.

Stormfront. I hope she gets nastier. She's played by the actress I know from the LA dating com/drama and its very distracting for me.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
This season is good but starting out kinda slow. There was a lot of hype for this season before it aired and some positive reviews but I feel like I must be missing something if those reviews were based on the first 3. Or were they based on all of it?

Either way, there's some good pieces being set up in these 3 so I won't complain, just a note on my end. Otherwise still a good time.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Does Homelander ever take off his suit or is that his actual star striped skin?

Kinda hilarious they're always walking around in their Super suits.

Reddit and Twitter are in meltdown mode over this being a weekly show now.

I'm personally fine with it as it gives me another thing to look forward to every week.

More shows need to be weekly in my opinion, having everything in one or two days ruins any discussion to be had about the episode because you have a window to talk about the whole season in 1 day it releases. I like looking forward and having to watch something exciting each week, and it keeps the talk alive.

Oct 2, 2018
This season is good but starting out kinda slow. There was a lot of hype for this season before it aired and some positive reviews but I feel like I must be missing something if those reviews were based on the first 3. Or were they based on all of it?

Either way, there's some good pieces being set up in these 3 so I won't complain, just a note on my end. Otherwise still a good time.

I feel the same way but ep 3 seems to be back on track so I'm hoping that the other episodes are going to be amazing. They're always going to struggle to match season1. Lighting rarely strikes more than once. I'm still optimistic this will be a great season.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Got up to date, kinda slow start but so far so good, other than The Deep scenes. Just kill him off already, it's a total pace breaker.

Riskbreaker

Nov 1, 2017
Is any minority character worth a damn in this show?

One is in a cult, one wants to get back to his family, one is a worthless drug addict who doesn't use his powers correctly, and one just doesn't even try to use his powers when facing supers, and one cowers and hides while a white supremacist does in her brother right in front of her, and the last one does business with said white supremacist.

Every one of them have a trash b side story. Every single one.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Is any minority character worth a damn in this show?

One is in a cult, one wants to get back to his family, one is a worthless drug addict who doesn't use his powers correctly, and one just doesn't even try to use his powers when facing supers, and the last one cowers and hides while a white supremacists does in her brother right in front of her.

Every one of them have a trash b side story. Every single one.

I don't think any of the characters are that deeply drawn, it's just Homelander's performance that is quite captivating. I hate how Asian dudes all appear just to get maimed or killed. I guess A Train might get some sort of an arc, as will Kimiko.