• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I have both the dev mode and entered the "whitelisting" thingie, the dev mode is just too bothersome when I already have a PC hooked up to the same TV but wouldn't mind having the app anyway

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Amiga Rick Dangerous?? If so, how did you get it working? I'd love to have Amiga emulation in the living room, I played around with uae on Raspberry pi many years ago but it never ran good enough.
Joystick controls on the gamepad is bad though (stick up=jump :p) but I guess you can remap for each game.
Rick Dangerous is open source. You need to load the core called xrick in RetroArch. Then go to Content Download section and there will be one entry for Rick Dangerous. There will be a data.zip file to download. Then navigate to the downloads folder and you can run the data.zip using the xrick core.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is making me wish I hadn't cancelled my Series S preorder, even though I have so many ways and systems to play classic games.

Sep 29, 2020
I seem to have hit a wall with how much I can copy over with my file explorer. If I delete an iso I can add another but if I don't nothing gets copied to the internal harddrive (no error message or anything). I tried moving my (personally ripped) gamecube, dc and saturn collection over.

Is this a known problem and is there a solution? Running the retail version of Retroarch and the paid version of my file explorer.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
I ended up getting whitelisted and have the full retail app in my Xbox series X. I cannot believe how crazy this is. I'm plying Dreamcast and PS2 games on my Xbox.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Is performance radically different between Xbox Series X and Series S with emulation? I'm really interested in finding out if the emulators can natively render Gamecube/PS2 titles at 4K resolution with all sorts of goodies.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Is performance radically different between Xbox Series X and Series S with emulation? I'm really interested in finding out if the emulators can natively render Gamecube/PS2 titles at 4K resolution with all sorts of goodies.
The performance is not much different from testing both.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So far I haven't had any luck getting dreamcast or ps2 games working. I tried 3 iso ripped ps2 games, installed the bios from that video linked earlier but all 3 go to a black screen and then quit and give a "Failed to load" error.

Dreamcast games just crash the app completely.

Any ideas what I might be missing?

Nov 1, 2017
Would be amazing if someone wrote an idiots guide on how to use Retroarch. There are an overwhelming amount of options and something as simple as trying to increase the rendering resolution seems to be really difficult to find. Unless it isn't possible for the games i am trying?

Honestly though teething issues aside this is really incredible and it further cements the Xbox as the go to console of choice to play games from a vast selection of different platforms.

So far I haven't had any luck getting dreamcast or ps2 games working. I tried 3 iso ripped ps2 games, installed the bios from that video linked earlier but all 3 go to a black screen and then quit and give a "Failed to load" error.

Are these games bigger than 2GB? It's been mentioned that you can't run those from a USB drive if that's what you've been doing. Copy it to the internal drive.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020

Have you installed PCSX2?

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Rick Dangerous is open source. You need to load the core called xrick in RetroArch. Then go to Content Download section and there will be one entry for Rick Dangerous. There will be a data.zip file to download. Then navigate to the downloads folder and you can run the data.zip using the xrick core.
Thanks! It's a great game but I misunderstood and thought you got the Amiga emulator working.

I'll try fiddling with this today. Joystick controls on a controller is problematic though but maybe you can use an arcade stick to get proper joystick controls? Would be great!

groovyalex391

May 7, 2020
I figured out how to move games onto the internal storage (for over 2gb). I'm trying to play F Zero GX and it still won't load in, even on internal. Idk what I'm doing wrong.
I have also successfully run Luigi's Mansion off my USB and I have been able to play PS1 and PSP. I just struggle with over 2gb games atm.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Can someone help point me in the right direction? Got a bunch of disc based games ripped myself on an external HDD but all of my Saturn games give the the "core does not support vfs" error. They load fine on the PC and I've been using them for years. Is there something I am not doing right?

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Can someone help point me in the right direction? Got a bunch of disc based games ripped myself on an external HDD but all of my Saturn games give the the "core does not support vfs" error. They load fine on the PC and I've been using them for years. Is there something I am not doing right?
you need to put them in the internal storage

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I have retroarch on my internal. Am I able to run the games off my external that I already use for Xbox or do I need an emulator exclusive external?

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
I have retroarch on my internal. Am I able to run the games off my external that I already use for Xbox or do I need an emulator exclusive external?
You can't use an Xbox formatted drive. You can store ROMs on any NTFS external drive but can't share it with Xbox games.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

I haven't got an S to try but I doubt it. Emulation is heavily CPU dependant and they've got the same CPU. Presumably the same performance so the title concentrating on the Series S is probably more down to the fact that it's $200 cheaper.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone tried amplifying internal resolution on games? I imagine PCSX 2 and PPSSPP should be able to do 4K atleast?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I hit 'close content' (which I presumed would close down the game) it closes the whole app and take me back to the dash. Guessing I shouldn't be hitting that if I want to just go back to the Retroarch menu?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dominator01 posted a Q&A that fills in a lot of the details around Retroarch on Xbox.

Question 1 - who ported retroarch or ppsspp to xbox one was it you
Answer - no it wasnt me who ported retroarch to xbox one that was a user named kryzs-h a user who knew how to make things work good enough for all of us to have fun - and for ppsspp it was hrydgard the ppsspp dev who ported it to uwp

Question 2 - are you a dev for retroarch or ppsspp?
Answer - no im not a dev i dont know how to code anything but i wish i could do more to help but my skills are nonexistent

Question 3 - if your not a dev what is your involvement with retroarch/ppsspp?
Answer - i figured out how to compile retroarch and ppsspp because whenever i relied on others the builds wouldnt have been updated in years sometimes so i took the time to compile each build so others that were in my shoes who dont know how to compile could just grab the latest from me, since i was compiling builds i started making retroarch and ppsspp videos on my youtube channel and started helping others who had issues, also when compiling, errors would occur so i reached out to both autechre (the retroarch dev for pc) and hrydgard (the dev for ppsspp for pc) and they'd help fix compile issues and sometimes something breaks on retroarch when it used to do something just fine i gotta compile 30 or so builds sometimes to see when it broke and then autechre would fix the builds for me and i'd compile and share fixed builds

Question 4 - you know libretro.com has xbox one builds already what makes yours so special
Answer - those are from me, i compile for autechre (the retroarch pc dev) and he updates the site with the builds i send him

Question 5 - how come autechre doesnt work on the uwp port if he's the dev?
Answer - altho he has an xbox one it doesnt seem like he's all that interested in fixing stuff thats specific to xbox one and so builds for retroarch have been buggy and sometime straight up not working(edited)

Question 6 - was there other emulators for xbox one before retroarch/ppsspp?
Answer - yes, nesbox was first to my knowledge and it supported nes,snes,gb,gbc,gba,sega genesis, etc and then a gba emu for uwp that works for xbox one released also a chip8 emulator was ported then a scummy site came around called xb1emu that he "ported" and stole source code for emulators and sold them to people, called gifer, floating digits, and inter calender, which was separate emulators for psx n64 and gba and yes they work but there very buggy and expensive but alot of people bought them none the less, then there was retrix a emulator that was pretty much retroarch rewritten in another code language so its less of a mess emulator and is clean and simple to use, the author of that goes by absestos and that emulator was free it also supports many systems

Question 7 - was there other emulators on the retail store at some point?
Answer - yes xb1emu site started hosting hidden emulators on the store and the only way to access them was first you had to pay for it then he'd give you a code and then when you launch it it was just a calender for example until you pressed certain buttons and the emulator would appear, and then there was xbrowse a stolen retrix source code port for retail that was just a webbrowser until you entered certain (url i think) then it would be retrix but with a redone ui that looks like a emustation frontend, and the last (for now) is tnavigator (2/3 and 4) which again is a rewritten retrix without permission from absestos and he's been selling and sometimes comes back to sell but at least he put some effort into it and didnt just make a new ui he also made new cores ui settings etc that retrix didnt have

Question 8 - whats so special about your ppsspp build instead of just the regular builds?
Answer - i found out how to make my own custom homebrew store so now you wont have some homebrew and none of the ones people really wanna play, i work on this brew store once in awhile and only put up stuff i like or think is well made and not some flash game with terrible controls and is awful to play

Question 9 - is the xbox one the only builds you have for ppsspp with your custom store?
Answer - no i have both xbox one and pc versions with my custom homebrew store available at http://bit.ly/xb1home

Question 10 - why not just upload these homebrew and emulators to ms's retail store?
Answer - we'd need permission from the owners for homebrew games also some hombrew games require copyrighted code so that wont happen, also emulators are banned from the store and anything added is taken down, there used to be emulators on there store just fine b4 the original xbox one came out and then they removed all and changed there policy(edited)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.