Status
Not open for further replies.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone knows how you can add grids or banners for games? Also changing a little the UI to make it look more customizable?

Also, how do you update cores?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have a good old fashion complete text guide? I just want to double check on setting up my external USB and I genuinely hate scrubbing videos for exactly what I'm looking for (and all the "guides" online seem to just be truncated versions of the video with only the opening part)

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Got frustrated and started from scratch. 2D systems are running great with retro achievements, a highly underrated feature.

Haven't tried many 3d systems, but PS1 emulation is wonky AF with no 3D accelerator support. Going to install the stage alone version of duckstation since it does, but RIP the dream of having it all nicely setup in one program.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Got frustrated and started from scratch. 2D systems are running great with retro achievements, a highly underrated feature.

Haven't tried many 3d systems, but PS1 emulation is wonky AF with no 3D accelerator support. Going to install the stage alone version of duckstation since it does, but RIP the dream of having it all nicely setup in one program.

DuckStation is unbelievably good. Set internal rendering to 4K and force widescreen on. You can even set it to fix wonky PS1 texture perspective stuff. Everything will run perfectly.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017

PS1 is perfect for me in Retroarch.
Hi guys, I've discovered a critical bug running Flycast core on the SeriesS, loading games via Usb 3.0 (Cdi format).

Flycast core has a known bug, if you close the game the app freeze and you have to restart retroarch, but that freeze prevents retroarch from deleting temp files.

On Flycast those temps are the games that retroarch copy from the usb to boot. Launching Retroarch again and selecting quit erase the temp, BUT (here comes the pain), the system doesn't recognize that space anymore, so, everytime this bug happens you're loosing disk space forever.

The only solution I could find was running standalone Flycast, that version doesn't generate temp files from usb.

Picture: the space is being consumed after running DC games from the usb on Retroarch. (And it doesn't come back, after rebooting retroarch, console, unplugging, etc)
My .cdi games close without issue, as do my .chd files. If you're losing HD space, reach out to gamr13/goldensky on discord. He is helpful and receptive of issues.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Will I face any issues by turning this into an emulation box? I know Nintendo typically roadblock your online activity if they discover you hacked the system to emulate games.

I just got my Series S today and I wanna get the most out of it.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Will I face any issues by turning this into an emulation box? I know Nintendo typically roadblock your online activity if they discover you hacked the system to emulate games.

No. The dev mode method relies on you activating a mode explicitly designed to run unsigned code, and the retail mode method involves installing the emulators that's been snuck onto the Xbox Store. There's no hacking required.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10

That's the beauty of this, you aren't hacking anything. You're operating the system within the features and capabilities Microsoft allows.

I don't think MS cares, and the only reason this would ever be intentionally shut down is in response to pressure from other companies.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017

Dev mode is 100% sanctioned by Microsoft, you won't get in trouble for using it. Basically it's completely sandboxed off from the retail mode.

DuckStation is unbelievably good. Set internal rendering to 4K and force widescreen on. You can even set it to fix wonky PS1 texture perspective stuff. Everything will run perfectly.
Just got it setup and hooooly crap. 4k, wide screen, perspective fixed textures, with no slow downs. How have I not used duckstation before on literally any other platform?

Sefirot

Jan 3, 2022
My .cdi games close without issue, as do my .chd files. If you're losing HD space, reach out to gamr13/goldensky on discord. He is helpful and receptive of issues.

How are you running your games, from HD or USB?

I found another person on youtube with the same problem, he lost 50gb.

Im not touching Retroarch on Series anymore, Flycast on the other hand works perfect.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Thank you guys for the help!

The wait between dev and retail mode is a bit much for casual use... I probably wont do it but maybe if there's a way I can mitigate that timeframe.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, I've discovered a critical bug running Flycast core on the SeriesS, loading games via Usb 3.0 (Cdi format).

Flycast core has a known bug, if you close the game the app freeze and you have to restart retroarch, but that freeze prevents retroarch from deleting temp files.

On Flycast those temps are the games that retroarch copy from the usb to boot. Launching Retroarch again and selecting quit erase the temp, BUT (here comes the pain), the system doesn't recognize that space anymore, so, everytime this bug happens you're loosing disk space forever.

The only solution I could find was running standalone Flycast, that version doesn't generate temp files from usb.

Picture: the space is being consumed after running DC games from the usb on Retroarch. (And it doesn't come back, after rebooting retroarch, console, unplugging, etc)
Does uninstalling Retroarch at least resolve this issue? Sounds like a pretty serious problem.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
How are you running your games, from HD or USB?

I found another person on youtube with the same problem, he lost 50gb.

Im not touching Retroarch on Series anymore, Flycast on the other hand works perfect.
I'm running off USB in retail mode. CDI works normally for me. I couldn't get GDI to load in Retroarch so I converted all GDI to CHD and it's been great.
Try upscaling the games at all and even the series consoles struggle. Native was playable, but I needs me all the graphical bells and whistles.
Yeah I just tried this at 4x and it wasn't good. I guess I never had within Retroarch before. I honestly prefer shrinking down the screen and using a shader for PS1, personally, but I understand wanting to go the other way with it. I get good performance in Duckstation and Flycast stand-alone, but for some reason PPSSPP retail runs at like 90% speed. I tried to troubleshoot with GoldenSky and we couldn't resolve it. It runs perfectly on my friend's XSS.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Duckstation is so good... Turned on retroachievements, and I guess I'm reporting Mega Man Legends tonight.
I'm running off USB in retail mode. CDI works normally for me. I couldn't get GDI to load in Retroarch so I converted all GDI to CHD and it's been great.

Yeah I just tried this at 4x and it wasn't good. I guess I never had within Retroarch before. I honestly prefer shrinking down the screen and using a shader for PS1, personally, but I understand wanting to go the other way with it. I get good performance in Duckstation and Flycast stand-alone, but for some reason PPSSPP retail runs at like 90% speed. I tried to troubleshoot with GoldenSky and we couldn't resolve it. It runs perfectly on my friend's XSS.
I honestly waffle back and forth, a good CRT shader and native rendering is a beautiful combo, but sometimes I like that ultra sharp look.

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Duckstation is so good... Turned on retroachievements, and I guess I'm reporting Mega Man Legends tonight.

I honestly waffle back and forth, a good CRT shader and native rendering is a beautiful combo, but sometimes I like that ultra sharp look.
Wait, scratch that. I forgot I had ps1 games set to run on the Beetle core. I switched to Duckststion and have zero issues. It runs @ 4K at full speed with the wobble correction (tried a few games, including Ridge Racer 4 now). I'm running the retail version of RA.

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane

Played a bit of Resident Evil 2, Ridge Racer 4 and the first Harry Potter ps1 game through it. The quick turn cheat for re2 via the menu is incredible

Sefirot

Jan 3, 2022
Does uninstalling Retroarch at least resolve this issue? Sounds like a pretty serious problem.

After uninstalling Retroarch I can confirm the space is gone forever (At least till a factory reset), I tried uninstalling yesterday since I read about another person with this problem and loosing almost 50gb HD space.

So for me is a no for Retroarch in Series at least with the Flycast core running usb roms, Saturn roms where running with no problems.
Flycast standalone also works fine, cero temps created.

Control your space before and after launching games, just in case.

smart patrol

Oct 27, 2017
After uninstalling Retroarch I can confirm the space is gone forever (At least till a factory reset), I tried uninstalling yesterday since I read about another person with this problem and loosing almost 50gb HD space.

So for me is a no for Retroarch in Series at least with the Flycast core running usb roms, Saturn roms where running with no problems.
Flycast standalone also works fine, cero temps created.

Control your space before and after launching games, just in case.
Thanks for the update. Definitely does not make me want to use Retroarch on the Series X at the moment until it's addressed.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Been slowly working on getting more systems setup, and I just can't seem to get dolphin working. Click on a game and it's just black screen for 2 minutes then crashes back to the dev home menu.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I can't for the life of me get flycast working in RetroArch, it keeps saying the bios files are missing when I have them in the system/dc folder. I'll try the standalone flycast app tomorrow, sounds like it's more reliable.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I can't for the life of me get flycast working in RetroArch, it keeps saying the bios files are missing when I have them in the system/dc folder. I'll try the standalone flycast app tomorrow, sounds like it's more reliable.
Yeah. In my experience it's better and faster than the RA core.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Do the PS2 emulators that run in development mode have any sort of resolution upscaling?

Thinking about digging out some PS2 games to mess with this. I'm just a little nervous about somehow losing a bunch of SSD space. I have enough space on an external HD to back up all my game downloads just in case I have to factory reset though.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to put boxarts on the games? Kinda like having the series x menu within retorarch

Also, which is the best way to pass files from retroarch to demul or duckstation?

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Is there a way to put boxarts on the games? Kinda like having the series x menu within retorarch

Yes, there is an option to download the boxart right there at the bottom of the menu when you click on a game. Depending on various factors, this may or may not work. To work with this effectively, you have to understand how RA matches games up with cover art.

Basically, when you add a game to RA, it checks it against a database to see if it's known or not, probably using CRC or something. If it's known, it will rename the game's title inside RA to match it's database entry, regardless of the filename. If it doesn't recognize it, it will usually just name it the same thing as the filename.

If a game was recognized, then it will most likely be able to download the cover art for you. In addition to box art, it also downloads screenshots for the title screen and a gameplay screen, which you can also display in RA if you enable the settings to do so.

If a game was not recognized, then it probably won't pull the box art automatically. However, since the matching for art is all done based on the name of the game within RetroArch, you can still pull the boxart if you rename the game inside of RA to what the art files are named. You can find out what the name of the game should be by referring to https://github.com/libretro-thumbnails/libretro-thumbnails.

Depending on where you sourced your games, this can be a real project. I've found that cartridge games are far more likely to auto-detect names and therefore download box art than disc-based games.

If you need to rename a bunch of games, one time saving shortcut is to close RetroArch and rename your games by editing the playlist files directly. They are just structured text files so this is pretty easy to do, though on Xbox you'll have to FTP them to your PC, do the work, then ftp them back. I'd keep copies of the playlist files for future use in case you have to reinstall on the Xbox or something.

EDIT - You also can add your own custom boxart to the appropriate directories using the information here. If they are in the right place, are named the same thing as your game within RA, and are in PNG format, then it should work.

Please note that the three pictures that it downloads for each game can be quite large, especially given that they are in PNG format. Please keep this in mind on Xbox or PC if space is a concern.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, there is an option to download the boxart right there at the bottom of the menu when you click on a game. Depending on various factors, this may or may not work. To work with this effectively, you have to understand how RA matches games up with cover art.

Basically, when you add a game to RA, it checks it against a database to see if it's known or not, probably using CRC or something. If it's known, it will rename the game's title inside RA to match it's database entry, regardless of the filename. If it doesn't recognize it, it will usually just name it the same thing as the filename.

If a game was recognized, then it will most likely be able to download the cover art for you. In addition to box art, it also downloads screenshots for the title screen and a gameplay screen, which you can also display in RA if you enable the settings to do so.

If a game was not recognized, then it probably won't pull the box art automatically. However, since the matching for art is all done based on the name of the game within RetroArch, you can still pull the boxart if you rename the game inside of RA to what the art files are named. You can find out what the name of the game should be by referring to https://github.com/libretro-thumbnails/libretro-thumbnails.

Depending on where you sourced your games, this can be a real project. I've found that cartridge games are far more likely to auto-detect names and therefore download box art than disc-based games.

If you need to rename a bunch of games, one time saving shortcut is to close RetroArch and rename your games by editing the playlist files directly. They are just structured text files so this is pretty easy to do, though on Xbox you'll have to FTP them to your PC, do the work, then ftp them back. I'd keep copies of the playlist files for future use in case you have to reinstall on the Xbox or something.

EDIT - You also can add your own custom boxart to the appropriate directories using the information here. If they are in the right place, are named the same thing as your game within RA, and are in PNG format, then it should work.

Please note that the three pictures that it downloads for each game can be quite large, especially given that they are in PNG format. Please keep this in mind on Xbox or PC if space is a concern.

Thanks gonna try

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
MVG reshared this tweet again. Something to keep in mind and part of the reason I have been wanting some of the emulators as standalone and disconnected from Retroarch.

neoak

Oct 25, 2017
And the developer of the amazing DuckStation just quit the project, because of intimidation / code copying from Retroarch as well.

Post w the news on emulation subreddit
www.resetera.com

Duckstation now on indefinite hiatus (Allegedly from Harassment via Retroarch & others) [Retroarch Responds]

Just read it on Reddit : https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/si2v5s/duckstation_now_officially_dead_github_repository/ I hope Stenzek will return to this awesome PlayStation 1 emulator sooner or later. Stenzek is the author of Duckstation, and started first with the Dolphin team. And...

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Has there been any updates I should be aware of on this? Just got a Series S and was wanting to start backing up some of my library to play this way.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any updates I should be aware of on this? Just got a Series S and was wanting to start backing up some of my library to play this way.
For PSX use Duckstation, PSP use PPSSPP and for Dreamcast use Flycast.

RetroArch can now handle loading bigger disc sizes off external drives now too, so you don't need to put them on your Xbox internal anymore

Pez

Oct 28, 2017
I'm seeing the series S go on sale for $250 and am getting tempted to buy one.

Is emulation on the platform completely dead at this point though?

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone with a Series X picked up a Series S on the side just for emulation? I want to handle all of it on my Series X, but I'm just always paranoid about Microsoft cracking down on that at some point and do not want my account shut down.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I don't worry about this at all. You are utilizing functionality that they have intentionally made available to the user. At WORST, they would make it so that the emulators don't work anymore but they won't penalize you for using them.

Thank you so much for this clarification. Since there is a Retail Mode version, would you also consider that safe for use? Dev Mode seems to be the safer route, but curious on your opinion of Retail Mode.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for this clarification. Since there is a Retail Mode version, would you also consider that safe for use? Dev Mode seems to be the safer route, but curious on your opinion of Retail Mode.
Neither option is more or less safe than the other, but Retail is way more convenient. No real reason to go with dev mode IMO.

There's also no risk at all in getting your account shut down. Like, as close to 0% risk as you can get.

Ninhead

Drive-in Mutant
Avenger
Nov 18, 2017
Has anyone with a Series X picked up a Series S on the side just for emulation? I want to handle all of it on my Series X, but I'm just always paranoid about Microsoft cracking down on that at some point and do not want my account shut down.
I have, and honestly, you don't really need to worry about that. I actually run it on both. You haven't "hacked" anything, so there isn't really anything they can do other than shutting down the apps.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
Since there is a Retail Mode version, would you also consider that safe for use?

Absolutely. Microsoft makes it possible to download tons of Windows store apps and run them on Xbox in retail mode. it's a feature, not a hack.

MS obviously polices these apps in their store, and probably to appease groups like Nintendo, can and do shut down the developer accounts that actually PUBLISH the apps to the store, but that doesn't affect the users or the apps already installed on your machine. The guy who pushes the emus to the store just starts up another dev account and pushes them out again for others to download again. I honestly don't think MS REALLY cares about it, honestly. It's not like people are emulating and possibly pirating older MS games. Sony and Nintendo are the ones most likely to have a beef with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.