• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if truck rental companies in the area charge a steep premium insurance fee to cover for all the trucks they had destroyed by this bridge?

You have to wonder if the truck rental employees are trained to absolutely make sure to mention the existence of this bridge whenever someone rents a truck?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
We have a similar bridge, that claims a truck ever few years

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what it's like to be in the driver's seat when your truck hits the bridge at full speed? They should make an amusement park ride out of this.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need to have a giant screen that plays the bridge videos 24/7. That's the only deterrent.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The people who hit it:

a) have never driven there before
b) aren't paying attention to the road because there are multiple signs on the bridge and 3 blocks away from it in every direction

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will say I wish google maps and other map apps had options for vehicle height and would make sure to direct you to bridges that can accept that size. I have to drive 26' box trucks a lot for work and I have to chart my course ahead of time since there are so many low bridges clearance bridges around where I work.
I'm surprised that they don't give you a truck based GPS for work. Speaking of which, can't you download a truck specific app like ALK co pilot or something?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they need to stop treating people as intelligent and just put a big sign up that says "If you're in a truck, this bridge will destroy it."

Risible

Oct 25, 2017
That bridge hungers for Penske trucks. If you watch any Youtube compilation you'll see so many of them get eaten :).

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This, is, amazing.

We here in Perth, Western Australia, have a very similar "low lying" bridge. It even has its own website for days since the last incident!

https://howmanydayssincebayswaterbridgehasbeenhit.com

As you can see, locals still don't get the hint.

We have a Melbourne one too http://howmanydayssincemontaguestreetbridgehasbeenhit.com
Amazingly, people seem to be actually figuring it out. There was a coach that crashed in to it a while ago and quite a few people were injured the court case has been featured on the news a few times, that could be why.

images

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are actually a lot of lights and warnings leading up to that intersection with signs for detours. These drivers simply don't notice them and pay the (hilarious) price every time. Nothing defeats 11'-8".

I count at least ten signs per side and at night it looks like Shibuya station crosswalk.

The guys you can hear cheering in the background in some of those shots are peel enthusiasts. The slomo repeat has a perfect sardine can peel.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
If a road feature becomes an accident blackspot, it's up to the road management people to fix the problem. It's not always possible to close the road permanently, but if there are feasible alternative routes this should be considered.

I'd love it if all drivers were alert and rational at all times. If they were, we wouldn't need lights and barriers on level crossings and crash barriers on motorways would be unnecessary. This kind of road nuisance is a good example of where a road safety problem blends into responsible road management.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
If a road feature becomes an accident blackspot, it's up to the road management people to fix the problem. It's not always possible to close the road permanently, but if there are feasible alternative routes this should be considered.

I'd love it if all drivers were alert and rational at all times. If they were, we wouldn't need lights and barriers on level crossings and crash barriers on motorways would be unnecessary. This kind of road nuisance is a good example of where a road safety problem blends into responsible road management.

The cost of digging up the sewage lines and replacing them far outweighs the signs.

It's not just a matter of digging out some pavement either because those lines were designed for a very specific level of ground cover and removing that ground cover risks those pipes collapsing. I don't know exactly what they're using, but if it's reinforced concrete box or pipe then digging out that run would require a whole new survey, re-engineering the steel areas in the box/pipe for that level of cover, likely stamped and sealed drawings for the city, manufacturing the pipe itself, closing off service for that area of pipe somewhere upstream of that location, and then the actual installation itself, which shuts down the intersection. Again, this is just me making the assumption they're using RCBs but it's just way, way cheaper to put up signage. After that it's on the driver's to pay attention as they should be in any other situation.

To clarify, I'm not a civil engineer. But I work in the industry as a drafter and am always paired up with other engineers in our department to solve issues like this and it's far from simple often times. I literally last week just completed a job where our run of box was conflicting with existing SAS and we had to design a unique solution for those conflicts because that line could not be moved lower due to the ground cover.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
#1 in that video is so good

Oh shit, Blame Space is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Whatever happened to this dude?

As for the video, a lot of those drivers aren't professional drivers. They are just rented trucks for moving and stuff, so the drivers aren't really trained to worry about clearance. I feel bad for some of them.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
These low bridges are a bit more obvious than arched ones. I walk by this one everyday, but buses and trucks always know to move to the middle of the road when passing through.

0011.jpg

This one from last month was quite impressive though

Oct 27, 2017
They need to rebuild that bridge, it's clearly causing problems and wasting peoples time and money.
They can't, as has been explained in this thread and on the website in the OP. The city can't lower the road because there's a sewer main underneath, and lifting the train track on the bridge a few feet higher would involve rebuilding several miles of track on either side to avoid an excessively steep grade.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
The cost of digging up the sewage lines and replacing them far outweighs the signs.

It's not just a matter of digging out some pavement either because those lines were designed for a very specific level of ground cover and removing that ground cover risks those pipes collapsing. I don't know exactly what they're using, but if it's reinforced concrete box or pipe then digging out that run would require a whole new survey, re-engineering the steel areas in the box/pipe for that level of cover, likely stamped and sealed drawings for the city, manufacturing the pipe itself, closing off service for that area of pipe somewhere upstream of that location, and then the actual installation itself, which shuts down the intersection. Again, this is just me making the assumption they're using RCBs but it's just way, way cheaper to put up signage. After that it's on the driver's to pay attention as they should be in any other situation.

To clarify, I'm not a civil engineer. But I work in the industry as a drafter and am always paired up with other engineers in our department to solve issues like this and it's far from simple often times. I literally last week just completed a job where our run of box was conflicting with existing SAS and we had to design a unique solution for those conflicts because that line could not be moved lower due to the ground cover.

Thanks for your informed comment on the practicalities of handling that kind of traffic nuisance. I don't doubt that civil engineers employed by traffic planning departments go to great pains to make the roads as safe as can reasonably be expected in the circumstances. My comment is mainly aimed at the facile assumption that if only we were all constantly alert while driving there would be no problem.

In practice, black spots in the traffic network inevitably show up. This is especially problematic in urban areas with multiple legacy utility pipelines and cables, railway systems whose limitations mandate a very low maximum gradient, and crowded neighbourhoods where substantial modification would be impracticable because of risks to the structural integrity of many buildings.

My point is that, in the end, we don't get to just stand by and mock drivers for falling into the traps laid by planning decisions made on our behalf.

I suppose that time will probably reduce this problem, as fleet owners and insurers of commercial vehicles insist on the installation of intelligent clearance agents that force the driver to stop and take appropriate action on encountering an impassable obstacle.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel bad, that these videos have such good capture of the audio... I mean it's bad enough to SEE it happen, but the clash of metals as it tears off the roof of these trucks... is so much more visceral

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose that time will probably reduce this problem, as fleet owners and insurers of commercial vehicles insist on the installation of intelligent clearance agents that force the driver to stop and take appropriate action on encountering an impassable obstacle.
Looking at the bridge in google maps, there appears to be a perfectly viable detour across the same tracks one block to the east. Takes maybe 2 minutes.

But I don't think commercial fleet managers and insurers have a lot to worry about. I see a lot of moving vans, rentals, and campers bearing the overwhelming majority of the damage, so if I'm a rental company, moving company or small business expecting delivery in the area I'm telling those companies to take their damn time and not go anywhere near that bridge.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad, that these videos have such good capture of the audio... I mean it's bad enough to SEE it happen, but the clash of metals as it tears off the roof of these trucks... is so much more visceral
Yeah it sounds so much more violent than it (sometimes) looks. Plus you get to hear people yelling :lol

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Don't they teach drivers of trucks like that their vehicles can't go under these specific type of bridges?

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
I think the way the sign is worded could be improved. At least something along the lines of "DANGER Low Bridge" would get more drivers to take notice within the short amount of time they have to process the information.

But then it would just be a standard low clearance sign. The way it is now, the sign is only triggered on if your vehicle is overheight, and it's telling you to take action instead of acting as just a warning.

Don't they teach drivers of trucks like that their vehicles can't go under these specific type of bridges?

A lot of these incidents are just normal people that rented a moving truck.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
But then it would just be a standard low clearance sign. The way it is now, the sign is only triggered on if your vehicle is overheight, and it's telling you to take action instead of acting as just a warning.
It could still be vehicle dependant. Even just the addition of a big red "DANGER" to the start of the current message will help attract more attention.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I wonder if truck rental companies in the area charge a steep premium insurance fee to cover for all the trucks they had destroyed by this bridge?

You have to wonder if the truck rental employees are trained to absolutely make sure to mention the existence of this bridge whenever someone rents a truck?
Bet they only mention the bridge if you buy the insurance. They probably don't say shit to those that don't. lol

I never bothered going to the site until today and finally saw that the guy who set up the cameras to film the crashes also has a Patreon and sells pieces of the wreckage.

sooperkool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this one is in Durham, we have another one in downtown Raleigh that is 12'3" which and causes just as many of these a year.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can clear it I can clear it!!! ... they'd never give me a haul that couldn't clear this right

Yeah nope

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before but there are tons of these really low clearance bridges through out NJ thanks to the multitude of train tracks passing over roads as well as the numerous canal's that run along the Delaware River that do the same. There are bridges even lower than this one including one that is 10'6" that has imprints of the tops of numerous trucks that have driven straight into it without paying attention.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Love the can opener, not least of all because of the endless flow of people asking the same. exact. questions. whenever it's brought up.

Natural selection, vehicle edition.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The wildest part is watching the trucks backup and drive off with a still-falling-apart trailer, pieces falling to and fro all the while.