• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No joke
7189234-3x2-700x467.jpg

Uh. That's gonna be dead people. No sewer too expensive kind.

Also why not make it a four way stop with hanging heavy height warning signs (picture four hazard striped trapezes) so that everyone has to stop and anything over height has to hit a giant clanging alarm bell and at low speed?

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Also why not make it a four way stop with hanging heavy height warning signs (picture four hazard striped trapezes) so that everyone has to stop and anything over height has to hit a giant clanging alarm bell and at low speed?

What you don't see in a lot of these is the many sets of precautions they've already gone through before even getting to the bridge. If you read about the OP's bridge they've basically tried everything.

Also a lot of these have a lot of traffic. It's not worth having everyone stop just to protect the few people who actually hit it. The light in the OP even specifically turns red for overheight vehicles with a big warning but people still go through.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
What you don't see in a lot of these is the many sets of precautions they've already gone through before even getting to the bridge. If you read about the OP's bridge they've basically tried everything.

Also a lot of these have a lot of traffic. It's not worth having everyone stop just to protect the few people who actually hit it. The light in the OP even specifically turns red for overheight vehicles with a big warning but people still go through.
Next step should be the water curtain stop sign from Australia.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
Install a gate a block away on the roads on each side that's the height of the bridge and if someone hits it it a huge sign lights up and says "YOU WILL HIT THIS BRIDGE"
Watch the videos. That's exactly what they have. The traffic light turns red and a sign reading "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN" flashes. Everybody who hits the bridge not only ignore all the warnings but they all run the red light.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Haha, we have a new refrigerated van for the business and I'm always so wary about knocking the fridge unit on some low ceiling. I took it through an automated car wash the other day, it was a nervous moment waiting for the brushes to rise up and over the fridge bump!

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watch the videos. That's exactly what they have. The traffic light turns red and a sign reading "OVER HEIGHT MUST TURN" flashes. Everybody who hits the bridge not only ignore all the warnings but they all run the red light.
Pressure sensors that activate a spike trap if it senses the over height vehicle will hit the bridge.

Deleted member 36086

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Why doesnt the city install a device that deploys a barrier like railroad crossings when it detects a vehicle is too tall?

Deleted member 9237

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uh. That's gonna be dead people. No sewer too expensive kind.

No one died luckily, they managed to duck in time (seriously)

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Why doesnt the city install a device that deploys a barrier like railroad crossings when it detects a vehicle is too tall?
The FAQ on the 11foot8 website answers all these kinds of questions. Basically, everyone involved feels like they've done enough. They're not really concerned about vehicles getting damaged, that's on the driver and ultimately not the city's problem since they've provided many warnings. And in the big scheme of things, these crashes don't happen that often. They're just concerned about the trestle being damaged, which the crash bar seems to mostly take care of.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just noticing the stationary mounted camera even shakes from the impact of the truck despite being far away

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
The light is sensor based. It turned yellow and red because it knew his vehicle was too tall. They even added a signboard that TELLS people outright their vehicle is too tall. If you're still hitting the bridge here today, you probably shouldn't be driving at all.
In a way that might make it worse. The amount of truck drivers I see who have a sense of entitlement and just run red lights is kind of astonishing.

Nice little can opener today

There's something so damn satisfying watching this, it's like visual ASMR. I could watch it all day.

Deadlast

Oct 27, 2017
I know the guy that runs the site. He has cameras setup and he was showing me some of the debris he collected from wrecks.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad this thread exists...and gets updates. So satisfying to watch for some reason, as long as no one gets hurt.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
I have somehow missed this thread. This is incredible. I couldn't stop laughing at "That will fuck your shit up, bro!!"

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Can't they install something that brushes against the top of a truck before it gets to the bridge? Similar in principle to strips on the side of the road that alerts drivers up who are drifting too far off the road.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Should have red flashing lights under the bridge and a horn or something. I don't exactly blame them for missing that sign

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't they install something that brushes against the top of a truck before it gets to the bridge? Similar in principle to strips on the side of the road that alerts drivers up who are drifting too far off the road.

They do. People are ignoring the warning.

Like, they even made it so if it detects overheight it switches the lights to red to stop the driver and get them to notice the bridge, and then a bunch of these videos are because they decide to run the red.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
This one shows how futile all the warnings are. There's a gigantic illuminated flashing sign, not to mention all the warnings beforehand that aren't on camera, the light turns red, and fucking dipshit goes anyway. Like, he's so aggressively stupid that he'll commit a crime in the process of ignoring all the warnings.