Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so are we going to make thread every time a popular white woman artist says white supremacy is wrong but does little to nothing to stop it?

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
im not going to shit on her for not saying much until now or applaud her for saying it.

what i will say is to those of you being like who cares, whatever, pointless. Whole heartedly disagree. The only way this shit is going to get fixed is if enough white people care enough to fix it. The criticism and outcry can't just be from black people. Which is precisely why its important for her and other white celebrities and regular people to speak up and speak out.

"White people have to fix white people!" – Ta-Nehisi Coates

Most important here is that she has a massive amount of white female followers. It's important for white women to call out white women. You can bet a good number of her fans arent even political when they should be, and this kind of platform is the most theyll ever think about it. Hopefully, SOME fans are able to take this stand and get some perspective. We know how right wingers are working to use their platforms to push right wing ideology. Elon Musk just the other day tweeted on taking the red pill. Her calling out Trump is important

And, the cherry on top, is that she's throwing mud in the faces of dumbass right wingers who tried to make her into an alt right image.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
How about we raise the bar just a little, a dash, a -smidgen- higher.

I agree, lets start with not posting "Who gives a fuck" when someone comes out against Trump and advocates voting him out of office.

And after that, let's continue by NOT pretending that people being happy someone did so is the REASON our people are suffering, because that's bs and you know it. Nothing that happened in that Tweet is the problem here.

At the very LEAST ignore it? At the very LEAST ignore it if it doesn't matter to you. But "So fucking what?". Nah man, there aint no good reason to be like that in response to THIS.

im not going to shit on her for not saying much until now or applaud her for saying it.

what i will say is to those of you being like who cares, whatever, pointless. Whole heartedly disagree. The only way this shit is going to get fixed is if enough white people care enough to fix it. The criticism and outcry can't just be from black people. Which is precisely why its important for her and other white celebrities and regular people to speak up and speak out.

"White people have to fix white people!" – Ta-Nehisi Coates

Thank you. Not sure why this is so hard.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Good. She's got a lot of followers and hopefully this motivates a few to go vote.

We can't on one hand say that Trump's tweets harm our nation by promoting untested drugs and calling on our military to fire upon its own citizens, and then say that Taylor doing this won't amount to anything.

With that said, I hope she does more throughout the year as the election draws closer.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Honestly, OP butchered this thread with their (sarcastic?) popERA take on the tweet.

Had OP just shared the tweet, I think it'd be taken a lot better by people here. I think everyone here is happy to see the tweet, but it got muddied by a garbage demand to aPoLoGizE.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Good to see her use her voice to speak up.
+1

Dont think im gonna need to read the era responses to that tweet.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not giving any white person a pat on the back for speaking out against white supremacy. Why the fuck would I do that? How about end fucking white supremacy and then "maybe" my black ass will sputter out a thank you for the generousity.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow what a title

I can't wait until Taylor swift outright calls out "out" right wing white supremacist Milo Yiannopoulos

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I don't know her history on civil rights advocacy, but this tweet alone is like 100x more than what 90% of my white friends have said/done combined.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, OP butchered this thread with their (sarcastic?) popERA take on the tweet.

Had OP just shared the tweet, I think it'd be taken a lot better by people here. I think everyone here is happy to see the tweet, but it got muddied by a garbage demand to aPoLoGizE.

Oh no my title was super genuine like aggressively so lol , and like I don't post in Pop-Era.... I always write long titles.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017
No, I still blame her for not answering the bizarre demand for her to disavow racists she didn't even know existed.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Oh no my title was super genuine like aggressively so lol , and like I don't post in Pop-Era.... I always write long titles.

In that case, you're just making light of a very serious topic and you should really reconsider what it means to speak out against systemic racism. Expecting black people, or any people, to apologize to Taylor Swift because of this tweet is insanely ridiculous.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say getting people to vote for a certain party/side of the aisle is a pretty good start.
Well considering that Minnesota vote for a Democrat , has a Democratic governor, Minneapolis has a Democratic mayor, and the City of Minneapolis has consistently voted Democrat for a long time and yet black people have been consistently fucked over so yeah she hasn't really done much of anything.

Oct 27, 2017
Her marketing team is against the idea of her having a public political opinion.

And by marketing team I mean her dad.

Wow, I actually never knew this about her. As someone who has always rolled my eyes at anything Taylor Swift, I wasn't inclined to watch her Netflix special, but this really paints a much better picture as to why she was super quiet up until lately.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not giving any white person a pat on the back for speaking out against white supremacy. Why the fuck would I do that? How about end fucking white supremacy and then "maybe" my black ass will sputter out a thank you for the generousity.
You dont have to pat anyone but its also not realistic to think that Taylor Swift is in the position to end white supremacy, with one move. Progress is everything.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
In that case, you're just making light of a very serious topic and you should really reconsider what it means to speak out against systemic racism. Expecting black people, or any people, to apologize to Taylor Swift because of this tweet is insanely ridiculous.

It was genuinely in reference to the level of sexism and unfair assumptions that she was a terrible person and shit, that has been around for 10+ years.

I fucked up though for sure.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
It was genuinely in reference to the level of sexism and unfair assumptions that she was a terrible person and shit, that has been around for 10+ years.

I fucked up though.

I really understand what you meant, but that's kinda the problem: it's not about her. It's about her message and the millions of people in the USA that suffer from systemic oppression. By making a post title focusing on her, it distracts from her tweet's potential impact.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Good on Taylor. I like how political she has been recently. It's good that someone as popular as her is speaking out on this.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You dont have to pat anyone but its also not realistic to think that Taylor Swift is in the position to end white supremacy, with one move. Progress is everything.

When the original title says apologize to fucking Taylor Swift because she said something about white supremacy I think I am justifief in saying "how about fucking no". And I know it was a joke. And I didn't at all find it funny.

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah

I fucked up though for sure.
giphy.gif

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I really understand what you meant, but that's kinda the problem: it's not about her. It's about her message and the millions of people in the USA that suffer from systemic oppression. By making a post title focusing on her, it distracts from her tweet's potential impact.

Yeah... I went at it all wrong.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
When the original title says apologize to fucking Taylor Swift because she said something about white supremacy I think I am justifief in saying "how about fucking no". And I know it was a joke. And I didn't at all find it funny.
Fair point - i only responded to the Taylors Tweet not what other ERA users or the OP added to that message.
Apologizing to someone because they are doing what they are supposed to do is def. not the wave.

Pop-Era always doing too much.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
Yeah... I went at it all wrong.

I do want to add, we all fuck up. It happens. I think the difference is that some people don't give a shit and don't want to listen, and other people recognize a mistake and consider how to change. You're not a bad person, and I think everyone here would appreciate your recognition that the title wasn't necessarily the best choice given (especially) everything going on right now.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I do want to add, we all fuck up. It happens. I think the difference is that some people don't give a shit and don't want to listen, and other people recognize a mistake and consider how to change. You're not a bad person, and I think everyone here would appreciate your recognition that the title wasn't necessarily the best choice given (especially) everything going on right now.
<3

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Trump is going to lash out at her like a motherfucker at some point today.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Good on Taylor, really happy to see she's become more outspoken. And yes, this is significant - she's a powerful celebrity with a massive platform, more so than arguably any other celebrity in the US at least.

I bet people who have supported that POS Kanye over her feel dumb now.

OP
OP
excelsiorlef

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Side note you shoudl see all the GOP people running for Congress who are trying to get Taylor to notice them in the twitter chain, I've counted like 4

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
so are we going to make thread every time a popular white woman artist says white supremacy is wrong but does little to nothing to stop it?
She caused a big voter registration spike in 2018 and is seemingly committed to helping in an even bigger capacity this year. What more can she do?

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Fair point - i only responded to the Taylors Tweet not what other ERA users or the OP added to that message.
Apologizing to someone because they are doing what they are supposed to do is def. not the wave.

I admit with eveything going on in the US and Canada I'm just very frustrated right now. There is nothing wrong with T-Swift's tweet. It's a good thing. I dont want to make it seem like it isn't.

100% agree.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Taylor Swift has political sway is yet another microcosm of America's problems, but the stakes are so high that I can't see this as anything but a win.

Even if her endorsements were not enough in 2018, if she can convince swing voters or many of the misguided progressives who are thinking of abstaining to actually go out and make sure that there's still a damn country left after this, that's all we can ask for. There is just way too much on the line to be picky/dismissive about her history of political/ethical failings in the past. It isn't worth a breath now, even if you acknowledge that people can change (and indeed they can).

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Still pretty suspect to me that she spent years not clarifying her political beliefs while being accused of being a white supremacist.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
While she definitely got dragged far more than deserved, the overhyping of white people who call out racism is also unnecessary. She stayed silent in 2016, and got dragged for it. We shouldn't bow down because she tweeted this.
This

Calling this administration white supremacy is both years late and such a fucking low bar. Does the next GOP candidate get kid-gloves if they manage to not get a tweet reported for threatening violence? The white supremacy runs deep within US politics, and it's a consistent platform for the GOP.

Calling Trump a piece of shit is easy.

Zhengi

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I appreciate Taylor Swift making this statement. Hopefully white people actually listen to her and admonish this Administration. And I really don't understand people in this thread who are shitting on her.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019

She's had her reputation dragged through the mud countless times, not to mention the whole attempt to attach her to white supremacy. People aggressively demanded she speak out politically. Well y'all got your wish.

Taylor Swift fucking rules.

Watching the who's who of dipshit white supremacists calling her to stick to singing like the children they are is delightful.

Ironic that Taylor swift stands up for black people when Kanye west sucks up to trump.