• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the most manly man in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

• Snake

Votes: 176 20.4%
  • Simon Belmont

Votes: 176 20.4%
  • Captain Falcon

Votes: 328 38.0%
  • Ryu

Votes: 69 8.0%
  • Ike

Votes: 114 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt DLC is being planned now unless they're either 1. Going to have a special gift like Mewtwo to reward early purchasers or something 2. Going to have free content updates.

Sakurai is very much about giving us all the content and not holding anything back.

drclaw411

Mar 22, 2018
In case anyone is curious. I am at the Chicago Best Buy Smash event, 4th in line. The store opens in 3 hours and the event starts in 4 hours. The line is already to the end of the building. One guy here also came yesterday and he said the line went down the block and was at one point a 4 hour wait.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I respect and trust Vergeben because he could've easily thrown K. Rool in his leaks, he would've been such an easy guess to make and gain cred, but he didn't because no source of his mentioned him.
Anyway, I'd take Sora over Geno easily, but I seriously don't think Nintendo cared to go through all that process when they could've added Geno or DQ and save them time and money.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Apart from Richter, who was an echo of the character just announced, all echoes have been shown outside of trailers. So unless you think Ken is unique/semi clone, I doubt he'd be in Incineroar's trailer. Now if you predicted Glass Joe, as a semi clone of Little Mac, being Incineroar's opponent I would have backed this 100%!

I was basically just theorizing if there was a possible Pokémon Direct they couldn't really work Ken in individually any other way, though honestly I could see him popping up at a tournament if any are coming up

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
In case anyone is curious. I am at the Chicago Best Buy Smash event, 4th in line. The store opens in 3 hours and the event starts in 4 hours. The line is already to the end of the building. One guy here also came yesterday and he said the line went down the block and was at one point a 4 hour wait.

Sounds like how the last best buy demo went for smash wiiu

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
IMO the bad side of "everything is here" is that it will take preference over representing new games via stages/newcomers.

The fact that we have 1 new stage from a really recent game (Odyssey), another new stage from a cross-platform game (Zelda BotW) makes me think that Nintendo wanted to have at least some representation of Switch games in Ultimate, but maybe the WiiU will end up underrepresented (DKC: TF, TW101, XCX, Captain Toad)... As I've said I expect a stagre from at least 3 of these 4 games, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

DLC will likely be a big part of this game. They are making a great starting point at least.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
DLC will likely be a big part of this game. They are making a great starting point at least.
Something I was thinking about recently - what are the odds the DLC stays paid, or if they'll shift it to a free model similar to Splatoon and ARMS? From Nintendo's POV, they will doubtless be leaving lots of money at the table with the former, but the 2 aforementioned games together with Mario Tennis and Kirby seems to have set a precedent for the latter - with only major updates such as Octo Expansion or Xenoblade 2's Torna being locked behind a paywall. More than likely Nintendo will see backlash if they charge - on top of the Online service as well which is now needed to play smash over the internet

What do you guys think? Will they still charge for new characters?

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Something I was thinking about recently - what are the odds the DLC stays paid, or if they'll shift it to a free model similar to Splatoon and ARMS? From Nintendo's POV, they will doubtless be leaving lots of money at the table with the former, but the 2 aforementioned games together with Mario Tennis and Kirby seems to have set a precedent for the latter - with only major updates such as Octo Expansion or Xenoblade 2's Torna being locked behind a paywall. More than likely Nintendo will see backlash if they charge - on top of the Online service as well which is now needed to play smash over the internet

Yeah nah, they're gonna charge for new characters for sure

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe that they are going to reveal DLC plans early this time around. There will surely be DLC, but won't be communicated like it was for Smash 4. And that Square Enix rep won't be part of the DLC batch because I don't think anyone has a clear vision of what's going to be DLC outside of Sakurai's mind.
The focus right now is debugging the game as quickly as possible in order to met the December 7th release date.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I totally expect it, but it would definitely stick out unfavourably compared to their DLC model for most of their games this gen

Considering the massive amount of content that Smash Ultimate is launching with and the large amount of money that goes into developing DLC characters for Smash, I 100% disagree. I don't think anyone sensible would complain if Nintendo charged money for Smash DLC, which they definitely will. I will say though, that they could do some kind of Mewtwo thing where the release one or two characters somewhat shortly after launch free of charge, but I wouldn't count on it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona

Well Splatoon 2 and ARMS started with a really small amount of content, with the promise of future content released periodically. Smash on the other hand will be released with a ton of content, they don't need to promise anything.

I think that all the DLC will be paid DLC, unless they decide to offer some small "free" content (returning stages, Mii costumes, songs) as bonus content for the paid online users.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
It does seem odd that Vergeban only knows of two more characters for sure in the base roster. If we really are only getting Insineroar and Ken I can't for the life of me understand why they blew their character load in the last Smash direct. I still think they're going to have more than two left.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Shadow wanted more than Tails as an echo? Shadow is an edgelord and tails is the OG bro.
Shadow is popular with the current Sonic fanbase. Also Shadow would be much easier to develop as an echo of Sonic than Tails. It's not necessarily about who's the most wanted, but who's the most likely.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It does seem odd that Vergeban only knows of two more characters for sure in the base roster. If we really are only getting Insineroar and Ken I can't for the life of me understand why they blew their character load in the last Smash direct. I still think they're going to have more than two left.

Perhaps the spirits mode is going to be a lot more in depth then were anticipating and the final smash direct is gonna largely focus on it with incineroar/ken as the final 2 cherries. If we believe vergeben maybe they end with a "sora/geno is coming" dlc announcement like mewtwo.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
Considering the massive amount of content that Smash Ultimate is launching with and the large amount of money that goes into developing DLC characters for Smash, I 100% disagree. I don't think anyone sensible would complain if Nintendo charged money for Smash DLC, which they definitely will. I will say though, that they could do some kind of Mewtwo thing where the release one or two characters somewhat shortly after launch free of charge, but I wouldn't count on it.
I'd argue a similar amount of money and effort goes into developing and balancing new Splatoon weapons, gear, stages, modes, etc... or new ARMS characters, for example. But you're right in mentioning that Smash has way, WAY more content off the bat than those games.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
If the SE rep is DLC there's no way in hell it's Geno, I can't see him selling well. Then again Roy was DLC so you never know.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps the spirits mode is going to be a lot more in depth then were anticipating and the final smash direct is gonna largely focus on it with incineroar/ken as the final 2 cherries. If we believe vergeben maybe they end with a "sora/geno is coming" dlc announcement like mewtwo.

It's not just Spirits; we don't really know anything about any game mode other than Classic. We don't even know what kind of unlockables are in the game. There are a lot of things that we still don't know.

But still like the other guy I think it's weird to drop all them characters in the last direct and only save two for the end. If anything they should have kept Dark Samus and Chrom secret.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I'd argue a similar amount of money and effort goes into developing and balancing new Splatoon weapons, gear, stages, modes, etc... or new ARMS characters, for example
Yes, but when you buy Splatoon 2 or ARMS you know that the small amount of content will be fixed with time, you're investing in somewhat that will come in a future time. For what Sakurai said about Smash, and what Nintendo showed us, that's not the case for Smash.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

They will definitely charge. I think Smash will adopt season pass model as well.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If the Square Enix rep is DLC then I don't think it's Geno, simply on the basis that Sakurai's made his opinion on pre-launch developed DLC fairly known, and because we've been hearing murmurs about a rep for quite a long time now. The only reason I can see Smash Ultimate getting a DLC rep so early is if there's some kind of legal hurdle involved with including a character on the cartridge, and I just don't think Geno is that kind of character given that Square has no problem letting Cloud in the game. Compared to that, at least Geno is a character closely associated with Nintendo who Square sees nothing to lose from preventing.

I don't know why we assume Square are the ones stonewalling Geno when there's a decent possibility that Imran was right - maybe Sakurai just doesn't want Geno anymore.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
That many new stages would certainly put just Incineroar being left into question

Unless he decides to add Ken's stage or a lot of stages for series without fighters, but that would be a bit weird priorities to go for non fighter stages before fighter stages

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
That many new stages would certainly put just Incineroar being left into question

Unless he decides to add Ken's stage or a lot of stages for series without fighters, but that would be a bit weird priorities to go for non fighter stages before fighter stages

That's exactly what I'm thinking. With 5 stages left, I think at least one would end up being from a new franchise's character.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If the box theory is the truth and Vergeben is to be believed, then I imagine that this is the final roster by launch.

qBt8bq7.png

There would be no bigger surprise than Sora, and he's one of the most requested characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.