• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who is the most manly man in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

• Snake

Votes: 176 20.4%
  • Simon Belmont

Votes: 176 20.4%
  • Captain Falcon

Votes: 328 38.0%
  • Ryu

Votes: 69 8.0%
  • Ike

Votes: 114 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it was only yesterday when Memoryman tried to argue that the Smash roster was final because all of the marketing materials that went out in Japan around June-July that lined up the characters perfectly. We all rightfully dismissed him.

Here we are two months later arguing that 72 is the final character number because of math based on marketing material.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
He never said they were basing it off the ballot? He said they picked those 4 characters based off it.
"I referred to the Smash Ballot when selecting characters this time, and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong series was one who received a ton of votes." doesn't really seem specific to those 4 fighters, especially since K Rool is the final character discussed in the article.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm throwing my chips on there being no more Echoes if that Box theory is true. Sakurai didn't mention anything about us getting more. As unlikely as it is just as the Box Theory is unlikely to give us the full picture we didn't even get an Echo in the Direct.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I know exactly how the box theory will play out:

Stage 1: Introduction
Stage 2: Adoption
Stage 3: Fanaticism
Stage 4: Brain-melting collapse

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it was only yesterday when Memoryman tried to argue that the Smash roster was final because all of the marketing materials that went out around E3 that lined up the characters perfectly and we all dismissed him.

Here we are two months later arguing that 72 is the final character number because of math based on marketing material.
Hey hey hey hey

It's Box Theory, not Verified Box Rule

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
I feel like it was only yesterday when Memoryman tried to argue that the Smash roster was final because all of the marketing materials that went out around E3 that lined up the characters perfectly. We all rightfully dismissed him.

Glad to see I'm not the only one whose mind instantly went to people ridiculing Memoryman for doing exactly the same thing they're now doing

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Well, DLC is going to be most likely relegated to certain characters like rex, spring, maybe a gen 8 pokemon, sylux...new ones, maybe a third party or two. Skullkid wouldn't be dlc.

It'd be interesting to go back in time and show people in 2013/14 who ended up being Smash For DLC. People were *sure* Wolf was a shoe in and Cloud suggestions would have been laughed off the internet.

Glad to see I'm not the only one whose mind instantly went to people ridiculing Memoryman for doing exactly the same thing they're now doing

There is a difference in timing. 6 months vs. 2 months out from release.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Remember when people believed EGMs April Fools rumors. People choose to believe many things.
bkjWJ6bCdtO8S0LkM_TqmgHY_xo=.gif

Red Fire

Oct 26, 2017
They were out since this

JE7AJoQ.png

I don't believe this 'leaker' one bit. They posted it only 2 days before the direct. They probably got to see/got info on the direct and knew Isabelle was in. Then they made the rest up. Otherwise they would have 'leaked' that earlier and not just 2 days before the direct.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dang the Grouping of 9 theory makes total sense for some bs reason, it even accounts for Dark Samus and explains why Sheik and Zelda are on opposite sides.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe this 'leaker' one bit. They posted it only 2 days before the direct. They probably got to see/got info on the direct and knew Isabelle was in. Then they made the rest up. Otherwise they would have 'leaked' that earlier and not just 2 days before the direct.
I don't even think they needed to see the direct early. Predicting Isabelle isn't a stretch and they just got lucky with the timing.

And look at the other predictions. EVERYONE is expecting Incineroar and Ken, and another leaker already said Dante so that's not new either.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not that I think we're due for another Capcom franchise, but all I can think is "are you sure about that?" When the first Capcom character in the game was not from Resident Evil or Street Fighter, but Mega Man. Mega Man was a dormant franchise with a history of canceled games when he was announced for Smash. His previous appearance was in a Capcom-endorsed fan game.

You've already admitted Nintendo holds GnG in high regard. It's also important to note that, with the exception of Bayonetta, the third party franchises with playable characters in Smash are from that era. Metal Gear, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Castlevania? They're from the 1980s. (And Sonic isn't too far removed from them as his first game was released in the early 1990s.)

Again, I'm not saying I think Sir Arthur is going to be confirmed or anything like that, but I acknowledge it as a possibility. And it wouldn't even be one that I considered that out of place.

The difference between Arthur/GnG and Mega Man is huge. Mega Man is very iconic and a very long running series. Just because it had been dormant for a while does not mean it is so low to be on the level of GnG. The early Mega Man and Mega Man X games are very tied to the NES and SNES. And other Mega Man series games have continued to appear on Nintendo systems (many exclusively) for years. Mega Man is iconic of the 80s. Ryu and Cloud are not, they're iconic of the 90s (just like Sonic). Arthur is not iconic of anything. Yeah GnG was somewhat popular at the time but it doesn't have near the history or character recognition as Mega Man does. It's not caomparable. I just don't agree that he is a possibility at all. Not when there are so many other Capcom candidates.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I swear to god we already discussed and disproved that Amazon description ages ago; they probably just haven't bothered to change it since the Direct.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
In the previous 2 months we've gotten 3 echoes and 3 newcomers

But in the final two months, we're only going to get 1 echo and 1 newcomer?

Why not shift those around a bit so it's not so front heavy to temper expectations?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Oh you poor thing, you haven't been exposed to the glory that is Pokemon Center yet.

https://www.pokemoncenter.com/plush/poké-plush-s0101-0001-0000#facet:&productBeginIndex:0&facetLimit:&orderBy:5&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

Incineroar is on Page 3 but just browse from the start and understand what you've been unfortunate enough to miss.

...Oh gosh, they got in a normal Lucario?! Hnnnngggg hang on I think I need something.

I know all about Pokemon Center..... I wanted the alolan vulpix with the cloak but it sold out and never came back.
Just figured it was pretty hard to make one that has human shape and hands etc

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
This goddamn Box Theory is going to infect every single conversation in here from now until the next Smash Direct, isn't it?

hahahaha-this-sucks-man-3187140.png

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the previous 2 months we've gotten 3 echoes and 3 newcomers

But in the final two months, we're only going to get 1 echo and 1 newcomer?

Why not shift those around a bit so it's not so front heavy to temper expectations?
There's not some characters per month quota we're supposed to hit here. Not that I believe we're getting only one Echo and one newcomer.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I mean, I think one more newcomer and one echo is implausible because they'll have a big blowout direct before launch, but even if that was it, I'd be happy?

Inkling, Ridley, Simon, K Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar
Daisy, Richter, Chrom, Dark Samus, Ken

Like, that's a damn good lineup to flesh out an Ultimate version.

Status
Not open for further replies.