Who is the most manly man in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

• Snake

Votes: 176 20.4%
  • Simon Belmont

Votes: 176 20.4%
  • Captain Falcon

Votes: 328 38.0%
  • Ryu

Votes: 69 8.0%
  • Ike

Votes: 114 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ghosts 'n Goblins games were a part of the NES Classic, the SNES Classic, and Switch Online presentation (from the very recent Nintendo Direct). Nintendo holds Ghosts 'n Goblins in high esteem. So I think mentioning Sir Arthur is completely fair game. Remember that Sakurai's first choice for Capcom character was Mega Man. Not a Street Fighter or Resident Evil character.

I can also make a similar argument in favor of Phoenix Wright. While his franchise isn't as big as other franchises, he's still a well known character with a strong connection to Nintendo.

(Not that I'm really expecting a third Capcom newcomer at this point. Just that Dante strikes me as a weird choice when Capcom has so many other options Sakurai could go for.)
I understand Nintendo holds GnG in high regard and as part of the classic Nintendo roster of games (and thus characters). But GnG's popularity and Arthur's Iconography has never been even close to Castlevania and the Belmonts, which is significantly less popular than any other third party franchise or characters currently in the game -- with the possible exception of Bayonetta (but she has much more modern relevance).

With how many strong and iconic IPs Capcom has, it makes no sense for Sakurai to pick GnG before Resident Evil or Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter (which he already sort of has). Those are clearly the 3 biggest not repped in the game. They would also put, say, Chun-Li (who is from an already repped franchise) way before touching GnG.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
72 seems about right

2 newcomers in the October direct and 2 newcomers in the November Smash direct

I think they will announce a character at the The Game Awards since it's the night of Smash's launch.

That being the last newcomer at launch or a DLC character I don't know.

And what's this music theory?

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly if we're only getting two more fighters I don't think one of them will be an Echo. Assuming this rumor is true I'm thinking they're done. I also think we're probably not going to get a Pokemon rep this time around. Something I noticed is that all the newcomers are from franchises that are relatively "under repped" if Mario isn't getting a newcomer, or Zelda, or Fire Emblem I'm thinking Pokemon is not a part of it especially since they probably didn't have an idea who to include and the series is already represented fine.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Brock making up another theory name and having it instantly become OFFICIAL via gamexplain is hilarious.

Deleted member 18807

GameXplain suggests Isabelle's Stop Sign move is actually her Up Smash. And it makes a lot of sense since you can see shine sparks before the move happens as if it were chargeable. At first I thought it was a taunt but it makes much more sense this way.

Just thought it'd be nice to share here.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
It would be incredibly odd for Sakurai to say "we're basing the roster on the ballot this time" and then not actually announce any more ballot picks after saying that...

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There are a lot of ways they can design that grid and fill up the real estate on the side of the box. Maybe not in a way that attains a divisible symmetry between both sides, but still in creative enough ways, such as having the newcomers take up enlarged squares or some such.

Either way, I'm not buying the theory, given that the most veritable leaks so far have been hinting at at least one more newcomer beyond Ken and Incineroar, and I just don't expect them to end the game's hype cycle on those two.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They;re not going to have a Smash direct that only announces two characters after the last one announced 5.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just a small update for the list tonight
Updated as of 9/14/18

INCINEROAR AVATAR BET MATCH

Face Team (MAKES AN ENTRANCE INTO SMASH, BABY!):
chrisPjelly
Brock Reiher
LoboRundas
Lord Vatek
Okabe
ShinobiBk
Masozi

Heel Team (Knocked over the ropes, not in Smash Ultimate):
TimeFire
alexi52
SpaceCadetKeon
J-Tier *

If you're on this list, please make sure you're actually down for the AVATAR bet itself. I don't want to misinterpret anyone's reply.

Could've sworn there were a looot more people dogpiling this precious inferno feline a couple days ago. The Heel team needs more members lol

As always, reply or tag me if you want in. Makes it easier for me to spot posts

Last edited:

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
You know I think the decision to order characters and stages by arrival to Smash rather than by series was due at least in part for DLC. Ordering by series may be a hassle when you have to slot characters to the middle of the select screen. It's much easier to just keep adding new stuff to the end.

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
What would be the point in announcing Richter, Dark Samus and Chrom in one 2 minute segment, and then turn around and only announce 1 additional echo later?

Why not save one of them for later so the final hype building event, so people's expectations wouldn't be lifted and there would be more to fire off right at the end?

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If Box Theory were to be true, everything Vergeben said would be put into question, so I wouldn't say that Ken and Inceniroar would certain to be the final 2.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
What would be the point in announcing Richter, Dark Samus and Chrom in one 2 minute segment, and then turn around and only announce 1 addition echo later?

Why not save one of them for later so the final hype building event, so people's expectations wouldn't be lifted and there would be more to fire off right at the end?

This is what's fully preventing me from hopping aboard this theory as well.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
They recognize that the best way to advertise Smash is to spend money on flashy reveals. Why would they spend all of their ammunition so close to the game's reveal, leaving only two fighters for the final three months?

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still think we've got a decent handful of both unique newcomers and Echo Fighters remaining, tbh

six unique newcomers seems a little low, imo

Deleted member 18807

If the Smash website taught me anything is not to assume stuff from artwork because they'd all be obviously placeholder up until this point. I'd go ahead and dare to say the marketing team have 3 or 4 versions of the same art to distribute to the press as presentations and reveals happens. Or they're being handled even tighter internally to avoid a ESRB leak situation.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I think they will announce a character at the The Game Awards since it's the night of Smash's launch.

That being the last newcomer at launch or a DLC character I don't know.

And what's this music theory?
Nobody will be announced at game awards. That's too late
You have to remember they need to send out review copies roughly 2 weeks before launch and of course some asshole who gets a review copy will spill the beans to the internet (either directly or through proxy) once they unlock everyone.
They will reveal everyone before review copies go out at the very least

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Nobody will be announced at game awards. That's too late
You have to remember they need to send out review copies roughly 2 weeks before launch and of course some asshole who gets a review copy will spill the beans to the internet (either directly or through proxy) once they unlock everyone.
They will reveal everyone before review copies go out at the very least

DLC :D

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Also, it's highly like there's going to be additional characters added via DLC so, other than having to fork out more money, what does it really matter whether there's 2 or 20 left in the base roster?

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I understand Nintendo holds GnG in high regard and as part of the classic Nintendo roster of games (and thus characters). But GnG's popularity and Arthur's Iconography has never been even close to Castlevania and the Belmonts, which is significantly less popular than any other third party franchise or characters currently in the game -- with the possible exception of Bayonetta (but she has much more modern relevance).

With how many strong and iconic IPs Capcom has, it makes no sense for Sakurai to pick GnG before Resident Evil or Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter (which he already sort of has). Those are clearly the 3 biggest not repped in the game. They would also put, say, Chun-Li (who is from an already repped franchise) way before touching GnG.

Not that I think we're due for another Capcom franchise, but all I can think is "are you sure about that?" When the first Capcom character in the game was not from Resident Evil or Street Fighter, but Mega Man. Mega Man was a dormant franchise with a history of canceled games when he was announced for Smash. His previous appearance was in a Capcom-endorsed fan game.

You've already admitted Nintendo holds GnG in high regard. It's also important to note that, with the exception of Bayonetta, the third party franchises with playable characters in Smash are from that era. Metal Gear, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Castlevania? They're from the 1980s. (And Sonic isn't too far removed from them as his first game was released in the early 1990s.)

Again, I'm not saying I think Sir Arthur is going to be confirmed or anything like that, but I acknowledge it as a possibility. And it wouldn't even be one that I considered that out of place.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Also, it's highly like there's going to be additional characters added via DLC so, other than having to fork out more money, what does it really matter whether there's 2 or 20 left in the base roster?
Well, DLC is going to be most likely relegated to certain characters like rex, spring, maybe a gen 8 pokemon, sylux...new ones, maybe a third party or two. Skullkid wouldn't be dlc.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Would it be ok if I put my stake in the ground and guess the following?

We'll see two more newcomers raise the count to 70.
There will be four more echos to give us a final total of 10.
That gives us the final count for the roster that will sit at 80.

Don't know how you can bookmark a post, but I'm feeling confident that over the next three months we will get at least six more character reveals.

Otherwise my secondary guess will be four more newcomers for 72.
Six more Echos for a final total of 12.
and the final count will sit at 84.

One or the other! That's where I'll be throwing my chips!

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Also it occurs to me that the old and tired complaint of "Clones are taking away spots from real characters!" is actually kind of true based on that theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.