• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What are you most excited about potentially seeing in the coming weeks?

• The Sequel to the Breath of the Wild

Votes: 468 36.0%
  • 3D Donkey Kong

Votes: 121 9.3%
  • Metroid 5

Votes: 176 13.5%
  • Pikmin 4

Votes: 31 2.4%
  • Fire Emblem

Votes: 43 3.3%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Votes: 119 9.2%
  • Switch Pro Hardware

Votes: 342 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy. There's almost nothing to be truly excited for during the second half of the year on the other platforms, outside of Horizon and Halo (and I'm not even convinced Horizon makes 2021). Nintendo has a golden opportunity here.

That's true, especially if they have killer software + new hardware.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They said it will focus exclusively on software. Exclusively is pretty strong language. Even if they do announce the Pro, which is still technically possible, it won't be talked about at all at their Direct, which is really odd if it actually exists and will be announced as has been claimed
They just want to reassure people they aren't taking a lot of time to talk Switch Pro. It'll probably get a mention. Remember it's third party devs who want Nintendo to announce it before E3, not Nintendo.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Nintendo has data that a celebration event can boost sales for other games in the series. It's just that BOTW being so entirely different from SS might actually hurt it in the long run. It is a weird situation that the Zelda franchise is right now.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
I really am expecting a fantastic game. If there's a solid 5 years between BOTW and it's sequel (granted it's less time in development than that) and they're reusing BOTW's Hyrule and I can only assume quite a few of it's mechanics, it needs a strong story, some new locations and just general improvements. I have complete faith, but I really hope they do a sequel justice.
I think there's no other game in development right now that I've got higher expectations for at this point than BotW2.
I'll worship Aonuma and team if they actually manage to blow me away again.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
BotW 2 is 2022. They may show a new trailer in the E3 Direct but seriously, Skyward Sword HD comes out a month later. Focusing on BotW 2 and announcing a Holiday 2021 release date would destroy any momentum for SS:HD. They're not going to start the BotW 2 marketing machine before SS:HD is even released.

Ayup. I wouldn't be surprised if the next big BotW2 marketing beat (new trailer, title reveal, etc.) is at the Game Awards.

Remember — per some pretty reliable sources, WW HD and TP HD are also coming this year, too. So there's a lot of Zelda to talk about that isn't BotW 2.

When they say in February "we hope to be able to show you more later this year," I don't really sit there and go "that means June for sure!" when there's a big trailer reveal event in December.

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I just really hope to see Metroid, but if the Switch Pro thing wasn't true, which is possible, then the Metroid rumor might not be true either. Either way, it should be a fun morning! I'll enjoy seeing what Nintendo has to offer!

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
Note: this is the wording they used to reveal E3 2019's Nintendo Direct

Nintendo Direct E3 2019: The presentation will begin at 9 a.m. PT on June 11. Viewers can watch it by visiting https://e3.nintendo.com/. The presentation, which focuses entirely on software, will offer a look at games scheduled to launch in 2019.

So this isn't new. And of course 2019 was also when other rumours about new hardware ("Switch Pro" which turned out to be the less battery-hungry Switch and Switch Lite) were spreading.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any shot they show Splatoon 3 at E3? I'm only guess 25% but I won't rule it out

IronFalcon1997

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
They just want to reassure people they aren't taking a lot of time to talk Switch Pro. It'll probably get a mention. Remember it's third party devs who want Nintendo to announce it before E3, not Nintendo.
I mean, it sounds like they won't be talking about it at all. Look, I still think it's possible, and I'd love to see it. I just think it's odd that they wouldn't even mention it at E3 if they had already announced it by then

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Legends would make for a great March, 2022 release to cap off the fiscal year. Or it would if BotW2 weren't launching at that time. Just sayin'

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Note: this is the wording they used to reveal E3 2019's Nintendo Direct

So this isn't new. And of course 2019 was also when other rumours about new hardware ("Switch Pro" which turned out to be the less battery-hungry Switch and Switch Lite) were spreading.
Yeah and we got hardware that year...and they're using the same language again because we're getting hardware announced this year too just not in their presentation

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's no way they don't show something new from BOTW2 at the E3 showing.

If they don't, the entire thing will be ruined in the public eye by people disappointed that it wasn't there.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think a tease for Breath of the Wild 2 is inevitable regardless of Skyward Sword HD (in fact they might want to advertise the Zelda & Loftwing amiibo being compatible with both games, a la Wolf Link). We'll get the name at least, I'm sure.

But I don't think we'll get anything comparable to E3 2016, where the first game dominated the show. Maybe something more akin to the Breath of the Wild story trailer at the Nintendo Switch Showcase.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
BotW2 will be the fake One More Thing before the real One More Thing AKA Metroid Teaches Typing

mattendo

Feb 9, 2021
Very torn on if BOTW2 is going to be there or not. Why wouldn't they mention that in the announcement?
Because I doubt it has a hugeeee emphasis on BOTW 2 unlike previous examples such as Smash - especially if it's a 2022 release. We know it exists, we know news is coming, there's little reason for Nintendo to have explicitly mentioned that game out of all the others at E3 when it's a safe assumption it'll be there already. Zelda fans will be tuning into the Direct regardless.

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
I expect Zelda be the first trailer and having some content in Treehouse if it releases early next year.

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
Ayup. I wouldn't be surprised if the next big BotW2 marketing beat (new trailer, title reveal, etc.) is at the Game Awards.

Remember — per some pretty reliable sources, WW HD and TP HD are also coming this year, too. So there's a lot of Zelda to talk about that isn't BotW 2.

When they say in February "we hope to be able to show you more later this year," I don't really sit there and go "that means June for sure!" when there's a big trailer reveal event in December.
You don't apologetically tell your fans that you'll have something to share this year if you only intend to be technically correct with a showing in December. That just poisons the reception to everything in between and makes no one happy.

Lintendo

Sep 11, 2018
Off course Zelda Botw2 will be in some capacity at E3, there's no doubt about it... if it's gonna be Released this year... well I don't think so.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Ok folks, we've got two lists to think about. What's at Nintendo's E3, and what's not? (feel free to add any third-party titles you expect to feature in Nintendo's show)

Announced games
- Metroid Prime 4
- Bayonetta 3
- The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Pokemon Legends
- Splatoon 3
- Pikmin 4 (Miyamoto's slip counts, dammit)

Rumoured/possible games
- Donkey Kong (EPD)
- Xenoblade/new Monolith Soft title
- Kirby (HAL)
- 2D Metroid (Mercury Steam)
- Super Mario Odyssey 2
- 2D Mario
- Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
- Wind Waker HD
- Twilight Princess HD
- Fire Emblem
- EPD 9 game