Not open for further replies.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
could this be the pro

gif-191009_0738582ojtw.gif

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Why should a Nintendo fan care that a budget remake of D/P can probably handily outsell Halo?

Halo Infinite is a far far more ambitious production than all of the games you've mentioned, and it also looks incredibly fun. I'm not here on the edge of my seat waiting to dig into holiday game sales discussions - I want to play games. A Nintendo fan wanting a more ambitious or AAA title for the holiday is not spoiled.

The discussion has been centered around whether or not Nintendo has a "big" game for this holiday, one that can carry Switch through the holidays. Many people have been saying that they don't but the fact of the matter is that Pokemon and Mario Party are big sellers, crowd pleasers, and the type of software any publisher would be happy to have during the holidays. But for whatever reason, people don't count these as significant holiday games for whatever dumb reason and then they go on to suggest that Nintendo needs a "big" title like Donkey Kong (which hasn't been super significant in a decade).

And that's what I mean by spoiled. Nintendo fans have gotten so used to high selling games but that they don't perceive three 10+ million selling titles in a few month span as a lot.

Last edited:

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
A March release for Splatoon 3 makes sense, i think Nintendo will show more details and a release date for the game on the next Direct. A February release for Project Triangle Strategy would also align with Bravely Default II's release window.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Yes. They discussed that but agreed that if it doesn't reach 3 mil in the first quarter or get very close it prolly won't make it. Guess they're not expecting it to have a tail.

Yeah I'm not positive it'll cross 3 million either. Honestly I have no idea how well it will do, the hype and interest seem to be there, but is that just the die hards?

Generally yes... But I feel like nobody remembers what happened to SMT#FE. Bombed on Wii U, got a second shot at life on Switch... And seems to have bombed again. Only info I could find seems to imply it did worse then the Wii U version.

Now that's an extreme example, just pointing out that being on the Switch doesn't guarantee 5 million copies.
Dread has to sell 3m in the first 12 months for the bet to be won.

And while many games do find success on Switch, some of the success is tied to RoI and not pure raw sales figures.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
The discussion has been centered around whether or not Nintendo has a "big" game for this holiday, one that can carry Switch through the holidays. Many people have been saying that they don't but the fact of the matter is that Pokemon and Mario Party are big sellers, crowd pleasers, and the type of software any publisher would be happy to have during the holidays. But for whatever reason, people don't count these as significant holiday games for whatever dumb reason and then they go on to suggest that Nintendo needs a "big" title like Donkey Kong (which hasn't been super significant in a decade).

I think I was hooking into you calling people "spoiled" specifically.

As for the original discussion, I don't think they have a single 'big' title to carry them, but from a holistic view Nintendo's got everything they need for a very successful holiday (and that's before the revision is factored in). The selection of exclusive titles alone is pretty eclectic, even if none of them might classify as 'AAA': No More Heroes III, Metroid Dread, Mario Party, SMTV, Pokemon D/P, Advance Wars 1+2, Wario Ware etc. and that's all before January.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
A March release for Splatoon 3 makes sense, i think Nintendo will show more details and a release date for the game on the next Direct. A February release for Project Triangle Strategy would also align with Bravely Default II's release window.

I would think September would make more sense for Splatoon 3 because that would be the renewal month for so many NSO memberships.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I think I was hooking into you calling people "spoiled" specifically.

As for the original discussion, I don't think they have a single 'big' title to carry them, but from a holistic view Nintendo's got everything they need for a very successful holiday (and that's before the revision is factored in). The selection of exclusive titles alone is pretty eclectic, even if none of them might classify as 'AAA': No More Heroes III, Metroid Dread, Mario Party, SMTV, Pokemon D/P, Advance Wars 1+2, Wario Ware etc. and that's all before January.
It's definitely more of a "tons of variety" year as opposed to a "one huge massive game to anchor the holiday" kind of year. And that's totally fine! I'm looking forward to a lot of these games, even if none of them are a big AAA title in the vein of BOTW2.

And next year has the potential to be massive, depending on how releases schedule out. While we don't really know the current schedule of Pokemon, given previous release patterns it's well within the realm of possibility that we'll get both Pokemon Gen 9 and BOTW2 in the holiday period. Plus there are big names waiting in the wings, like a new 3D Mario and a new Monolith game, and maybe DK. Plus Fire Emblem and Splatoon 3.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It shouldn't be too controversial to say that Nintendo's holiday season this year is big overall, but lacks a single title with the same calibre of, say, Mario Odyssey or Smash Ultimate. Sales will be amazing for sure but, outside of Metroid Dread, it doesn't feel like Nintendo's going to have all that much in the way of media fervour at the end of this year. Though with Pokemon Legends Arceus launching in January it's not like it'll be long before we do get a title guaranteed to make some waves (whether good or bad).

I mean I'm definitely happy with what we're getting. Metroid, SMTV and Wario Ware are locked in for me and, coupled with the hopefully-excellent Playstation and Xbox holiday lineups, it seems that things are definitely gonna be getting good :)

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
It shouldn't be too controversial to say that Nintendo's holiday season this year is big overall, but lacks a single title with the same calibre of, say, Mario Odyssey or Smash Ultimate. Sales will be amazing for sure but, outside of Metroid Dread, it doesn't feel like Nintendo's going to have all that much in the way of media fervour at the end of this year. Though with Pokemon Legends Arceus launching in January it's not like it'll be long before we do get a title guaranteed to make some waves (whether good or bad).

I mean I'm definitely happy with what we're getting. Metroid, SMTV and Wario Ware are locked in for me and, coupled with the hopefully-excellent Playstation and Xbox holiday lineups, it seems that things are definitely gonna be getting good :)
Yeah, when taking gaming as a whole, 2022-2023 are poised to be prime years all around. The new consoles will have come into their own by then and will really be bearing fruit, ala the PS4/X1 years of the mid/late 2010s, and Nintendo will have the Pro launching and be taking advantage of that, etc. Obviously COVID will still be playing a factor for a while, but I'm definitely excited for things to come. Mostly I just can't wait until we get another year in the vein of 2017, and it feels like 2022/2023 could be one of those.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
Help!

Fans of NVC, when do they stop talking about DDLC+? I don't want it spoiled, also is it actually spoiler-free?
Nintendo Voice Chat, the IGN Nintendo podcast. Their latest Pod discusses DDLC+, but I haven't listened to it yet and can't comment on spoilers, sorry! It's definitely a game that is best experienced knowing as little about it in advance as possible, though, I can highly recommend it.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Tony Hawk seems to have a huge resolution drop when running split screen. I'm not too worried as I got this game primarily for handheld. I double dipped on this one and can't wait to play tomorrow.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
2021 feels like the year of handheld games and I love it for that. I remember some people complaining about the lack of handheld type of games on the switch and that it feels like the console part is being prioritized a lot more.

Having Wario Ware come back is a dream come true for me. This year has already killed my poor wallet lol. A huge step up from 2020 in terms of software variety.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe
I would think September would make more sense for Splatoon 3 because that would be the renewal month for so many NSO memberships.
Splatoon 3 was originally supposed to launch this year. Presumably in September, because we usually get a major game that month, Pokemon normally gets the November spot, and this year September feels weirdly empty (only Warioware at the beginning of the month). So I really doubt they would delay it an entire year. It'll launch in the March - June period for sure.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Splatoon 3 was originally supposed to launch this year. Presumably in September, because we usually get a major game that month, Pokemon normally gets the November spot, and this year September feels weirdly empty (only Warioware at the beginning of the month). So I really doubt they would delay it an entire year. It'll launch in the March - June period for sure.

Where did we hear this about a release this year? I missed that.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
You know, it occurred to me reading the Eurogamer review that I really would be more interested in Nintendo Golf. Stages after Zelda or F Zero landscapes? Yes, please.

Mario Strikers? No. Nintendo Strikers with teams from all different franchises ? I'd be well into that.

I'm a bit bored of Yoshi and the like now.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I propose an alternative solution: Pokemon Presents. That, or an IndieWorld.
Indie Worlds don't usually get this place hopping (though something like Sports Story, Axiom Verge 2, or Silksong popping up would certainly help). A Presents would probably do it.

Now, would I prefer these to a Pro announcement? Maybe. I am really tired of Pro talk though and an announcement would be the best route to ending that, probably.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I have joined the ranks of people trying out Samus Returns before Dread comes out (already played some version of the rest of the 2D Metroids)

It's pretty good so far! Combat feels much better than in the previous 2D games, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.