Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Damn, MH Stories is apparently mostly native resolution in handheld mode (dynamic) and looks absolutely gorgeous. Although the frame rate is uncapped, 60-20 fps lol.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious to ask what do you guys look for when you play a Zelda game.

Personally, dungeons are a huge priority for me because it's what differentiates Zelda from other action/adventure games. This is why I'm always surprised by people thinking Wind Waker is one of the best Zelda games when the dungeons are terrible. People say the music and atmosphere are what carries the game but tbh other Zelda games have that as well. To me, it doesn't have enough to carry the game, unlike say BOTW which also had mediocre dungeons but everything else was done extremely well.

For all the flaws Skyward Sword has it still has incredible dungeons which is why imo it's better than Wind Waker by default.

I used to think that it was the dungeons as well but I've come to realize that it's something a little bit more abstract and I'm not sure I can properly put it into words. This isn't unique to Zelda (nor do I think the series does this the best) but I think what I value the most, at least in the 3D Zeldas, is the interactivity with the world and the player's presence within said world. Basically, experiencing the world on screen not just as a virtual representation but almost as an actual physical space.

Dungeons with their three-dimensionality, their interconnectivity of rooms and puzzles etc. are just a very effective way of conveying said feeling. Turning a lever to have the water level rise so you can reach a platform is to me a more meaningful interaction than hitting something really hard with a sword because I can follow the chain from my intent, my action and the effect of said action. Breath of the Wild with its systemic approach does it a bit differently but the idea is essentially the same. My appreciation for Skyward Sword mainly stems from the way you interact with the world. I also love immersive sims and am extremely intrigued by VR. I'd love to have a Zelda spinoff that plays like the newest Prey for example.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Personally, dungeons are a huge priority for me because it's what differentiates Zelda from other action/adventure games. This is why I'm always surprised by people thinking Wind Waker is one of the best Zelda games when the dungeons are terrible. People say the music and atmosphere are what carries the game but tbh other Zelda games have that as well. To me, it doesn't have enough to carry the game, unlike say BOTW which also had mediocre dungeons but everything else was done extremely well.

For all the flaws Skyward Sword has it still has incredible dungeons which is why imo it's better than Wind Waker by default.
Adventure

When Mario games are all about fun, I feel like Zelda games are about this feeling of Adventure.

My two favorites, Ocarina and Breath of the Wild both have this in spades.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Party Superstars screenshots on the eShop look way too good and sharp. Must be running on the Pro.

You know?

The Pro.

The Switch Pro.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
Nah, the difference between film reviews and game reviews is that people actually review bad movies. Hardly anyone reviews bad games. And it is normal. Because I can see a bad movie in two hours, playing a bad game can be five times that. Why any reviewer is going to waste their time?

Nobody wastes time reviewing the tons of garbage with 2, 3 and 4 that are in the eshop or Steam. That's why we never see those reviews. If you look at Metacritic, most of the games do not reach the 4 reviews necessary to average.

Look at this. https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/pc/date Nobody is going to review that crap. That's why we only see games with good reviews.
That's true to an extent, but it's not the full story. A film with a Metascore in the 80s is highly acclaimed, even universally so. The MCU is super popular, generally liked critically, and TBH seems like what a lot of the AAA gaming world would like like model themselves after (in terms of financial and critical reception, long-term success, and cultural footprint). Avengers: Endgame got a 78 Metascore. The other Avengers movies are in the 60s.

Even Metacritic acknowledges this is a thing - a game is considered "mixed or average" if it scores below 70, whereas a film would need to score below 60 to get the same label.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Nintendo released their software guidance for this fiscal year and people said Nintendo has to have a lot of big sellers to achieve it? What happened to that conversation now? It should be revisited. We have Pokémon Legends, Pokémon BD/SP and Mario Party as the biggest sellers. Is that enough or do we need something in March…like Mario Kart…

I was thinking if dlc was coming for Mario Kart 8 it'd be nice to drop it on the release of Switch Pro. I still believe Zippo that Mario Kart is getting dlc or a new game.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021

Puzzles and dungeons. I also hold Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess in higher regard because of these reasons.

Bonus points if the combat is good too. Which is why Twilight Princess is my favorite because while Skyward Sword's combat is certainly better than Wind Waker it's basically the same thing each time. wait to see where they guard and swing appropriately. Twilight Princess is the only game that let's you be aggressive and offensive in the combat, compared to all the others where you're reacting to what they do.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I'm wondering what order you guys think I should play the 2D Metroid games in now that I am done with Zero Mission. Should I go in timeline order or release order from now on? I can easily play Super since it's on the Switch, but I would have to go out of my way to buy Samus Returns. Would it make sense to play Super, Fusion, then Samus Returns?

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Remember when Nintendo released their software guidance for this fiscal year and people said Nintendo has to have a lot of big sellers to achieve it? What happened to that conversation now? It should be revisited. We have Pokémon Legends, Pokémon BD/SP and Mario Party as the biggest sellers. Is that enough or do we need something in March…like Mario Kart…

I was thinking if dlc was coming for Mario Kart 8 it'd be nice to drop it on the release of Switch Pro. I still believe Zippo that Mario Kart is getting dlc or a new game.
Maybe they have high expectations for Metroid?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they have high expectations for Metroid?

tenor.gif

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I think a combination of HD remasters and $40-60 collections that they can also sell at retail is probably the way they're going to handle selling those games going forward.
Again, if that's their plan, then they should start actually doing it. There's only 2 games that even arguably fit that description that are either currently for sale or upcoming for that set of platforms.

Also any plan that doesn't include emulating the originals where possible is insufficient for preservation and likely to miss a lot of games which could otherwise be included.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly NESflix is a better idea than VC, I've warmed up to it a lot, paying a set price and just being able to dive into these extensive libraries for an entire year. $20 is more than worth it, and I don't even play online.

It just… needs more systems on it lol

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
DLC I would believe, a new game I wouldn't. "Ooh, more content for the game we already bought, for 20 additional dollars" is a much easier sell than "$60 for a new Mario Kart? But we already have Mario Kart."

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I know it probably doesn't take a lot to top the Wii U and 3DS charts, but Metroid doing so on both is a really great sign of interest in getting into the series imo.

I think Nintendo is doing a great job of building up the hype for it.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
That's true to an extent, but it's not the full story. A film with a Metascore in the 80s is highly acclaimed, even universally so. The MCU is super popular, generally liked critically, and TBH seems like what a lot of the AAA gaming world would like like model themselves after (in terms of financial and critical reception, long-term success, and cultural footprint). Avengers: Endgame got a 78 Metascore. The other Avengers movies are in the 60s.

Even Metacritic acknowledges this is a thing - a game is considered "mixed or average" if it scores below 70, whereas a film would need to score below 60 to get the same label.
That's my point: If you refuse to review bad games, the average is artificially higher than it should be.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Do you listen to the spawncast?

They have a bet on if it will sell more than 3 million copies or not if it does one of them has to play and review Balan Wonderworld lol
Only 3 million?

that's pretty achievable. Switch is a beast with software, well actually nowadays most software selling better then ever . If dread reviews well and good word of mouth it could pay off quickly.

Don't know, I've got a good feeling for Dread. Even if Japan isn't that big on the series. Tho I recall 2D doesn't do too bad.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
They'd sell more copies of Metroid Dread if they advertised it as "Samus from Smash Bros finally has her own game!"

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
Do you listen to the spawncast?

They have a bet on if it will sell more than 3 million copies or not if it does one of them has to play and review Balan Wonderworld lol

My guess is that it will do 2.5-3 million WW.

I would have said 3 million+ but I'm just not positive in Japan supporting Metroid to give it that push. The only way I see it pushing past 3 million is if the West pulls its weight which I would love to see. Also people bring up Pikmin Deluxe having strong sales but they forget that a lot of it's sales came from Japan.

Still, selling more than 2 million will be a respectable number for 2D Metroid and I wouldn't be surprised if that's Nintendo's expectation. Prime 4 will definitely be the big test for Metroid imo.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
Honestly NESflix is a better idea than VC, I've warmed up to it a lot, paying a set price and just being able to dive into these extensive libraries for an entire year. $20 is more than worth it, and I don't even play online.

I really like the idea, but they should've expanded it to more consoles years ago. Right now the Switch is an excellent NES/SNES machine and nothing more for legacy Nintendo content. I guarantee they would sell hundreds of thousands of downloads of GBA and GameCube games if they were $10-20 each.

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
That's my point: If you refuse to review bad games, the average is artificially higher than it should be.
... how was that your takeaway from my post? My point was that 80+ for a film means it's top tier, whereas 80+ for a game is just pretty good. Even if everybody suddenly stopped reviewing bad films, that would remain the case. It's not just a function of bad games not being reviewed.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
I mean, 3 million is a drop for what a Hypothetical MK could sell in a month. And three million for Metroid would be life time not in its first quarter.
Yes. They discussed that but agreed that if it doesn't reach 3 mil in the first quarter or get very close it prolly won't make it. Guess they're not expecting it to have a tail.
My guess is that it will do 2.5-3 million WW.

I would have said 3 million+ but I'm just not positive in Japan supporting Metroid to give it that push. The only way I see it pushing past 3 million is if the West pulls its weight which I would love to see. Also people bring up Pikmin Deluxe having strong sales but they forget that a lot of it's sales came from Japan.

Still, selling more than 2 million will be a respectable number for 2D Metroid and I wouldn't be surprised if that's Nintendo's expectation. Prime 4 will definitely be the big test for Metroid imo.
Yeah I'm not positive it'll cross 3 million either. Honestly I have no idea how well it will do, the hype and interest seem to be there, but is that just the die hards?
Only 3 million?

that's pretty achievable. Switch is a beast with software, well actually nowadays most software selling better then ever . If dread reviews well and good word of mouth it could pay off quickly.

Don't know, I've got a good feeling for Dread. Even if Japan isn't that big on the series. Tho I recall 2D doesn't do too bad.
Generally yes... But I feel like nobody remembers what happened to SMT#FE. Bombed on Wii U, got a second shot at life on Switch... And seems to have bombed again. Only info I could find seems to imply it did worse then the Wii U version.

Now that's an extreme example, just pointing out that being on the Switch doesn't guarantee 5 million copies.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
... how was that your takeaway from my post? My point was that 80+ for a film means it's top tier, whereas 80+ for a game is just pretty good. Even if everybody suddenly stopped reviewing bad films, that would remain the case. It's not just a function of bad games not being reviewed.
If you remove different versions of the same game (there are 4 RE Village), ports and remasters, there are a similar number of movies from 2021 with 80+ than video games with 80+.

Unless we have an exceptionally good year for movies and bad for video games, it is not that different.

There are more than 40 films with 80+, top tier as you said. There is even a 97 film.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, 3 million is a drop for what a Hypothetical MK could sell in a month. And three million for Metroid would be life time not in its first quarter.
That's the point. 3 million is a drop in the bucket. The point is Botw 2 was used as another big game that could come by March. We're discussing 10+ million games. We have a few coming + Nintendo's evergreen + some third party. Is that enough or do we need another huge seller for Nintendo to reach their very high software goal.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
That's the point. 3 million is a drop in the bucket. The point is Botw 2 was used as another big game that could come by March. We're discussing 10+ million games. We have a few coming + Nintendo's evergreen + some third party. Is that enough or do we need another huge seller for Nintendo to reach their very high software goal.
Could Splatoon be Q4 of the current FY?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be sure to tell Miyamoto next time I see him.
Look, ultimately I care less about whether the games are in a subscription or purchased individually, and more about them being available in the first place, and the amount of Nintendo's back catalog playable on Switch is absolutely appalling for a console that's 4.5 years old. Whatever their plan is, it's not working very well.

Magic-Man

Feb 5, 2019
Epic Universe

I was really surprised that we didn't hear anything about that datamined MK8D crossover with Tour at this E3. If it's still coming, what's the hold up?

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Even on a slow FY, they had two big games in their Q4 in the last one. Mario 3D World and MHR passed the 10 million milestone combined. Maybe in the Sept Direct or whatever they do will announce the Feb in March.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Damn, MH Stories is apparently mostly native resolution in handheld mode (dynamic) and looks absolutely gorgeous. Although the frame rate is uncapped, 60-20 fps lol.
Wow, yeah watching a video now and the uncapped frame rate seems like a weird choice when it very rarely goes above 40 and usually hovers around 30. I think I might pick it up on Steam or hope the revision helps it hit the 60fps mark.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah that would fit. Splatoon is the best fit for a March game.
I agree, especially since we have good word that it was once planned to be a 2021 title. Nintendo is willing to delay games but delaying games out of the FY is something all publishers try to avoid if possible (see: AC:NH releasing at the very end of the FY).

If you asked me to put money on a date for Splatoon 3 right now, it'd be 3/25/2021. With maybe those Zelda remasters or Triangle Strategy in February.

Deleted member 63122

Banned
Jan 16, 2020
I agree, especially since we have good word that it was once planned to be a 2021 title. Nintendo is willing to delay games but delaying games out of the FY is something all publishers try to avoid if possible (see: AC:NH releasing at the very end of the FY).

If you asked me to put money on a date for Splatoon 3 right now, it'd be 3/25/2021. With maybe those Zelda remasters or Triangle Strategy in February.
That would be perfect for that month.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
I'm wondering what order you guys think I should play the 2D Metroid games in now that I am done with Zero Mission. Should I go in timeline order or release order from now on? I can easily play Super since it's on the Switch, but I would have to go out of my way to buy Samus Returns. Would it make sense to play Super, Fusion, then Samus Returns?
I'm an advocate for timeline order, but if its too much of a chore to get your hands on SR in a timely fashion I wholeheartedly recommend AM2R.
Playing Super after gives you more time to get used to the design language so the more obtuse moments will be less of a roadblock.
Still worth playing SR in the end, if only to get a brief feel of Mercury Steam's style

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo fans so spoiled these days that Pokemon D/P, Pokemon Legends, and Mario Party All-Starts, all likely 10+ million sellers are not considered "big" enough games anymore. Meanwhile, Microsoft is out there praying Infinite it as big as Halo 3.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

dynamic resolution and uncapped framerate? Sounds like Capcom is primed for a revision bump

Edit: oh sh just realized the demo is out. coolcool

Last edited:

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

It IS a better idea, which is what makes it all the more disappointing. That's the problem. I'd rather spend money buying the games I want to play on systems we had in the past. That's one of the better parts of the VC idea is that they had such huge amount of games available that there was a ton of stuff that we just don't have now.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Nintendo fans so spoiled these days that Pokemon D/P, Pokemon Legends, and Mario Party All-Starts, all likely 10+ million sellers are not considered "big" enough games anymore. Meanwhile, Microsoft is out there praying Infinite it as big as Halo 3.
I've said this before. This is a gaming enthusiasts forum. It doesn't matter how much a game sells or what it does for Nintendo's bottom line, of course people here want to see Nintendo release stuff they care about.

I'd love an F Zero, for example. It wouldn't make much financial sense to do one. But I would be enthusiastic about it. Much more enthusiastic then I would be if Nintendo announced New Super Mario Bros Switch, even if the later would sell 1000x more.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Why should a Nintendo fan care that a budget remake of D/P can probably handily outsell Halo?

Halo Infinite is a far far more ambitious production than all of the games you've mentioned, and it also looks incredibly fun. I'm not here on the edge of my seat waiting to dig into holiday game sales discussions - I want to play games. A Nintendo fan wanting a more ambitious or AAA title for the holiday is not spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.