AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
but partner mode is great to me, it feels more fun than party mode itself which is a shame.
Yeah so much this. I just wish there was a way to control your partner's move when they are a CPU :/

Played a 15 turn main mode game last night and we had to quit at 10 after being so disappointed. Circled back to the other modes later on however after one member of our crew left and were surprised we enjoyed Partner, Sound, and Rafting far more than any aspect of the main mode. Which I guess is in line with 9 & 10 since the side modes were the only ones I really liked from those as well. But after last night I likely will want to play Partner and Rafting only with 4 players; having a CPU in there was a drag for teamwork. Oh and the forced "Yeah!" segments can suck it... hate those so much

Additionally, does anyone know if it is possible to lose allies. Or is it that once you have them you keep them for the rest of the game?

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I bought it. I can play it with my wife during the week and with my two brothers over the weekend. That should be enough ;)
How many mini games can you play online (not that I'm much interested in online mode)

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah so much this. I just wish there was a way to control your partner's move when they are a CPU :/

Played a 15 turn main mode game last night and we had to quit at 10 after being so disappointed. Circled back to the other modes later on however after one member of our crew left and were surprised we enjoyed Partner, Sound, and Rafting far more than any aspect of the main mode. Which I guess is in line with 9 & 10 since the side modes were the only ones I really liked from those as well. But after last night I likely will want to play Partner and Rafting only with 4 players; having a CPU in there was a drag for teamwork. Oh and the forced "Yeah!" segments can suck it... hate those so much

Additionally, does anyone know if it is possible to lose allies. Or is it that once you have them you keep them for the rest of the game?

There's a dueling glove item that lets you wager allies, but I've never seen it yet. It was much more common in Star Rush to exchange and lose allies.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I picked up the game yesterday after work, got a chance to play with my GF. She wanted to quit after the first 3 rounds of bad luck.
I went from being first the whole game to 3rd place ... This game will cause many broken joycons for people I'm sure.
Minigames are shorter than I remember.

Kayo Police

Nov 4, 2017
Man, I quickly forgotten how mad people get when playing this lol.

Friends wanted to quit after a couple of games yesterday.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can we expect dlc for this game like more boards? I actually like smaller board but i'll take more

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel the same way. The mini games on this are just boring. The boards are even worse. I feel like MP10 was a far better MP game, even with that car mode.

Most Nintendo titles on Switch have been a miss for me. ARMS, Odyssey, Kirby, Mario Tennis Aces, and now Super Mario Party. I love the hardware, but the software just isn't meeting the level of quality and "magic" I'm use to. I felt Wii U, even with its lackluster library, had much better first party titles.

Yeah, this is exactly! how i feel, i love the console, its brilliant and i love it so much, but most of the first party titles feels very good looking but empty and shallow. The best titel is a port! MK8D, Zelda is very good to.

As you said, the games to Wii U hade more charm, maybe thats why we gets all thoose ports.

I hope the future holds better first party games for us, or else i might end up playing more on my 3ds then Switch.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
In local multiplayer (2 joycons) I'm having some weird input lag on menus/rolling dice blocks that I haven't had in any other game. Even weirder is the fact that it doesn't seem to happen in minigames. Anyone else have this?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
In local multiplayer (2 joycons) I'm having some weird input lag on menus/rolling dice blocks that I haven't had in any other game. Even weirder is the fact that it doesn't seem to happen in minigames. Anyone else have this?

I kind of know what you mean, but considering it doesn't happen in minigames I'm not too concerned about it.

Merton

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely need more boards, in a few sessions my wife and I cleared the 4. Hopefully they're coming down the pipe ;)

ThisIsMyDogKyle

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Played for 8 hours yesterday with friends, had a blast the whole time. The last game in particular was pretty amazing because on the last turn 5 stars were gotten bringing the total number to 4-4-4-2 so we figured it would come down to bonus stars between us 3. But the guy who had been in last the whole game got both of them and he and the previous 1st had the same number of coins so they ended up tying. Just like 2 turns previously it seemed like the current 1st place player had an unstoppable lead. Was also funny when we released the only reason they tied was because we clapped at the end of the last minigame.

Oct 25, 2017
I played yesterday and I've noticed that boards gave a random of team 4-players more frequent than 2v2 and 1v3. I'm not sure if it's a bug or intended on purpose. Does anyone have this same experience?

Apr 21, 2018
The four boards and fact that they are tiny is the single biggest turn off for me about this game. I was going to buy it too, but that's just a whole new level of content-lite.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Played the game with my brothers and friends for 4 hours yesterday.

Here's some impressions I've heard from them in regards to the game even though they're pretty casual about gaming but have had played Mario Party before.

- They like the character dice block but didn't like that they couldn't choose some of their favorite character because their dice block sucked.

- They wanted more maps but thought the 4 we had were fun.

- They didn't think the map was too small. There was always something happening every turn.

- Me and my brothers use to play 30-50 turn games in previous Mario Party games, but 10 turns in this game was definitely long enough. I can't imagine playing 30+ turns in SMP at all.

- Allies was a pretty good addition to the game. One of my friends thought it was cute that she had Yoshi, Mario, and Peach in her group.

- They thought it would be unfair if someone had the pro controller while others had to use the joy con.

Overall it's a good party game. I feel that some complaints about the game is heard more in the ResetEra bubble as usual.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

The only way you can lose them is if another player manages to steal them from you.

The four boards and fact that they are tiny is the single biggest turn off for me about this game. I was going to buy it too, but that's just a whole new level of content-lite.
Honestly I think it's just a matter of screenshots not doing the boards justice. Comparing them to old boards, they're really about the same size. 40-50ish spaces as with the average size in most past entries. Plus they feel even larger when you play in Partner mode.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Can we expect dlc for this game like more boards? I actually like smaller board but i'll take more

It's very likely IMO. When you look at all the Switch games Nintendo has released so far, almost every single one that's not a port has gotten some form of post-launch updates or DLC.

Oct 30, 2017
I dont like this at all, DONT buy if youre planning on playing by yourself, i love playing Star Rush solo, but this sucks solo, and i dont like the minigames so much.

Its probably a good game, but for me; i feel that the "Nintendo Magic" is gone, just like in Oddysey; a good game but lacks the magic of Nintendo :(

Nostalgia aside, Odyssey has some of the most "Nintendo magic" I've experienced in my life. Like, it was filled to the brim with the magic, whether it's gameplay, references, characters, enemies, music, details, throwbacks, etc. Not sure what you're basing it on, but I think you somehow want to magically experience the same feelings you did when you were like 6 years old or something, which is impossible.

Try to give the games credit by some measure of objectivity at least.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dont like this at all, DONT buy if youre planning on playing by yourself, i love playing Star Rush solo, but this sucks solo, and i dont like the minigames so much.

Its probably a good game, but for me; i feel that the "Nintendo Magic" is gone, just like in Oddysey; a good game but lacks the magic of Nintendo :(

I feel the exact opposite of this personally. I love playing MP with friends and family, but few of them are as utterly obsessed with the series as I am, so I often end up playing quite a bit by myself. This feels like an upgrades Star Rush to me in its scope and scale. And with the different modes and difficulties each with their own pseudo story with unlocking the different gems, I'm having way more fun than I would usually have playing MP solo. Also helps that the "Very Hard" CPUs are at least competent.

And on the topic of Nintendo magic, I feel that this game oozes that sentiment. It's charming as hell, it has music I would associate with old Mario Party, and the minigames are a combination of new renditions of older games as well as others that feel like instant classics. There's just so much I love about this game personally.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I'm liking what we have so far, but the game just feels like three pacing is off. It feels like walking or doing things on the game board is slow, but then most of the minigames are FAR too short in length, and a vast majority of them are 'everyone wins' style games.

Also if you play the rhythm game mode and one player swings too hard in the baseball game, the ENTIRE SCREEN is covered by an error message for like 20 seconds...

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to use family share to play the mini games that require two Switches? When I try to connect the room my gf created (and viceversa), I always get a communication error message. :/

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Man it sucks that this bundle is only available in late November
supermarioparty.900x.jpg
Does anyone know if this has been announced for a US release?

Edit - Oh my god they're reversed from the Pink/Green set that came out here earlier I neeeeeeed

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Is it not possible to use family share to play the mini games that require two Switches? When I try to connect the room my gf created (and viceversa), I always get a communication error message. :/

I believe it's because when you use local network play it disconnects you from the internet, so the secondary Switch can't do the constant online-check in. I think if you want it to work you'll have to play as a different user on the primary Switch and play as the user that bought the game on the secondary Switch.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Have you guys noticed the joy-con plays a song when it's your turn??? I'm amazed by this.

Put it close to your ears.

Nov 3, 2017
Does anyone know if this has been announced for a US release?

Edit - Oh my god they're reversed from the Pink/Green set that came out here earlier I neeeeeeed

No idea about a US release but it looks like they are the same as previously offered with Green Left and Pink Right on both the SMP box and the original Green/Pink Joycon box from pictures on Amazon.

I'll try to remember to have a look at mine later when i can dig them out.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Those times when you steal a star from Wario...then 7 turns later...he steals it back.

Turn 12/20 of me and 3 Very Hard CPU and we all still around the same 1/2 stars.

All to play for!

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Have to say that the online Mariothon is way more fun than I thought it would be. Fits right with the ARMS and Splatoon type of online gaming and it really is the only viable option with random players around the world if there wasn't some serious punishment for ragequitting.

I hope they rotate the cups often though.

Other than that, my 4- and 2-year old are loving the game. We play about twenty minutes a day with them and try just to learn how to play video games in general. So far it's been definitely worth the money. Still haven't unlocked the challenge mode and I really would love to try Toads Rec room, but alas not any of my few friends or siblings with Switch own this.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
DLC Pack 1 | Dec 2018
Torpedo Ted's Sub Cavern
Snowflake Lake (MP6)
Hyrule Castle Gardens
Peach's Birthday Cake (MP1)

New Characters: Link, Zelda, Shiverian Elder, Desert Wanderer

DLC Pack 2 | Feb 2019
Urchin Overpass
DK's Treetop Temple (MP8)
Boom Boom's Airship Strip
Rainbow Dream (MP6)

New Characters: Pearl, Marina, Dixie Kong, Funky Kong

Make it happen Ninty.

spidye

Oct 28, 2017
This fucking game nearly ended my marriage lol

Next week I am going to destroy some friendships. Pretty fun

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
No idea about a US release but it looks like they are the same as previously offered with Green Left and Pink Right on both the SMP box and the original Green/Pink Joycon box from pictures on Amazon.

I'll try to remember to have a look at mine later when i can dig them out.
I looked on Amazon after I posted (hence my edit), the JoyCons that came with the Splatoon 2 Switch and later released on their own were Neon Green Joy-Con R and Neon Pink Joy-Con L, so the Super Mario Party bundle has the opposite colors, meaning you could now have a fully Neon Pink or Neon Green Switch hnnnnnn

Nov 3, 2017
I looked on Amazon after I posted (hence my edit), the JoyCons that came with the Splatoon 2 Switch and later released on their own were Neon Green Joy-Con R and Neon Pink Joy-Con L, so the Super Mario Party bundle has the opposite colors, meaning you could now have a fully Neon Pink or Neon Green Switch hnnnnnn

Odd, i just checked my standalone joy-cons and they are definitely Green Left and Pink Right. I'm in the UK so maybe they are different in the US?

edit: I just checked Amazon.com and yes, they are different. Amazon UK has Green Left/Pink Right and the US is opposite.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Played some 2 v 2 with the SO she barely plays games and has never played a Mario party before, she actually enjoyed herself and liked being able to play together as a team and compete together which is great! Needing another set of Joycons is disappointing and im worried about letting friends use my own two incase..things get heated as they do in mario party haha. The minigames themselves while some are really short I found myself enjoying them to my suprise, using a single joycon for me at least can get cramped during long play sessions and makes you wish they had a option to play with a more traditional controler and some of the previous mini games from other Mario Party games, A *Best Of* collection would have really given the game more content and some fan favourites. Smallish Boards and some of the content is disappointing one can only HOPE they support this game with free updates.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017

Partner mode is great. I think I already was one of the few proponents of Star Allies which introduced that play style. It's a clever and fun way of extending the board game formula; it opens up new possibilities without becoming *too* complex. From what I've played so far, Super Mario Party's version also seems to put less emphasis on collecting allies, which was pretty much my biggest gripe with Star Allies (having many allies means being able to traverse the board faster, which in turn makes it easier to collect even more allies... if you end up having a bad start, you'd inevitably be left behind for the remainder of the game).

Generally speaking, we're definitely having a good time so far. I just wish there were more and bigger boards. A mere four is definitely not enough. The small board size does have its appeal, but instead of limiting the game to only small boards, I wish they'd have included some bigger ones as well.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Is this game any fun with just 2 players? Used to love the N64 one with my wife
I was having fun with just my brother and me yesterday. We agreed it was probably the best MP since the good run of 2, 3 and 4. Only real complaint I'd have is the lack of maps. Need to play it more to see if it stands the test of replayability.