huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
So quick question since I can't seem to find much info on the local coop. Can 1 copy of the game have 3+ players because my friend seems to be under the impression we need 2 switch and 2 copies of the game and that doesn't sound right to me.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So quick question since I can't seem to find much info on the local coop. Can 1 copy of the game have 3+ players because my friend seems to be under the impression we need 2 switch and 2 copies of the game and that doesn't sound right to me.

1 copy, 4 players. As long as everyone has a joycon.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I am having some of the most fun I've ever had in my life tonight with a video game. Including the old MPs. This game legit fucking rules. Without friends I dunno, but I have 8 people over at my house right now and we have 2 setups going, and it's just fucking absurdly fun. The small boards complaints, whatever. I think I actually prefer it like this. Yes I will agree I wish there were just more boards, but the boards being small is not the problem. The game is balanced very well around that.

Crepuscular

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just played my first match. I liked it a lot overall. Nice to be back to the classic everyone-separate-on-the-board style. Minigames were fun.

I also thought the boards looked insanely small from pictures but it didn't *feel* too small in actual gameplay IMO (I played the first Whomp board). I definitely hope more boards are coming via free DLC though because only 4...is lame.

I don't care for this ally mechanic at all though. It just annoyed me for some reason. I think it's because I actually really DO like the twist of each character having a unique die alongside the normal one, which adds a fun new strategy element to the game...that I think the ally system kind of takes away again afterwards. Like it's not as a fun/stressful playing with a high risk die that might give you a 0 or a 1 if you know you're also getting an ally die (or 2 or 3) on top of it. It was especially annoying that one of the CPUs I was playing against kept hitting the space over and over and ended up with like 4 allies and was just flying around the board. Like I get that the randomness is part of the fun but this particular randomness.....again, annoyed me. I mean once you have an ally you have no control whatsoever over it. I wish I could just turn them off.

But yeah overall I think the actual gameplay is improved over the last few entries. But gimme more boards.

Mar 8, 2018
Just played a 15-turn game with my girlfriend, my brother and his boyfriend on Whomp Ruins. Was actually fantastic fun. Only problem was three players picked Yoshi, Koopa and Hammer Bro, so it was a lot of green on screen for some tipsy players to deal with.

Game was paced perfectly, actually. I'll probably try the other modes once or twice, but I can see us returning to the main mode often.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9100

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How is this game for single player? Any fun?

Or should it only be bought if you're going to play with others?

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This might be the best fun i had in years, we spent 4 hours on it last night and it usually never happen that we prefer staying in playing games

The maps while a bit smaller than usual are filled with stuff, after the first turn there's pretty much almost no downtime, the mini games (we played about 35+) were all damn good, especially some 2v2 wich made for some hilarious shit

This series is the definitive couch party game, last night confirmed it (and it made me happy as fuck to see my bf wich hardly plays any games love it)

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading some impressions here, feels like if this had like 8 boards it would be the GOAT Mario Party. I really want to play it now when I get a chance.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are the mini games of a generally high quality in this game? Cause TBH I'm prob not gonna play the board game with other people much but I dug The Top 100 earlier this year just playing mini games and this game's mini games look fun enough. Is that a good conclusion?

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Man it sucks that this bundle is only available in late November
supermarioparty.900x.jpg

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I finished one game and played around in Sound Stage mode. Took some notes.

- Hidden Blocks are still a thing. I'm cool with that.
- Minigame winner gets coins, but for some reason the losers do too. Not sure I like that.
- The Joy-Con makes a sound when it's your turn and that's amazing.
- Boards do feel a little small for me, and I wish regular dice blocks were still 1-10.
- The way they handle practicing now is good.
- Golden Pipe is basically the Magic Lamp of this game.
- Why is the AI buying items on the last turn?
- Bonus stars are weird. Why no minigame star? Or at least coin star?
- Minigames are overall very good.
- Sound Stage is a great idea.

Overall I'm really liking it. Best Mario Party since 6, probably.

Deleted member 283

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
^Bonus stars are randomized, similar to the later Gamecube Mario Party games. Not sure how many potential options for Bonus Stars there are, but you seem to be rewarded two bonus stars at the end of each match, with these stars drawn from a pool of potential options. And I don't know about Coin Star, but I'm pretty sure one of the options is something equivalent to the Minigame Star (the person who won the most coins from Minigames in the match) at least. I know I saw something like that pop up at least once.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
^Bonus stars are randomized, similar to the later Gamecube Mario Party games. Not sure how many potential options for Bonus Stars there are, but you seem to be rewarded two bonus stars at the end of each match, with these stars drawn from a pool of potential options. And I don't know about Coin Star, but I'm pretty sure one of the options is something equivalent to the Minigame Star (the person who won the most coins from Minigames in the match) at least. I know I saw something like that pop up at least once.
I see, thanks for clarifying! I did consider the possibility of them being randomized, and I'm happy that's the case, even if I do prefer the original way of doing it.

leverpastej

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I dont like this at all, DONT buy if youre planning on playing by yourself, i love playing Star Rush solo, but this sucks solo, and i dont like the minigames so much.

Its probably a good game, but for me; i feel that the "Nintendo Magic" is gone, just like in Oddysey; a good game but lacks the magic of Nintendo :(

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I finished one game and played around in Sound Stage mode. Took some notes.

- Hidden Blocks are still a thing. I'm cool with that.
- Minigame winner gets coins, but for some reason the losers do too. Not sure I like that.
- The Joy-Con makes a sound when it's your turn and that's amazing.
- Boards do feel a little small for me, and I wish regular dice blocks were still 1-10.
- The way they handle practicing now is good.
- Golden Pipe is basically the Magic Lamp of this game.
- Why is the AI buying items on the last turn?
- Bonus stars are weird. Why no minigame star? Or at least coin star?
- Minigames are overall very good.
- Sound Stage is a great idea.

Overall I'm really liking it. Best Mario Party since 6, probably.

How does the online mode work? Is it 5 mini-games per day like they said in a previous thread, or just 5 different games everytime you play?

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I dont like this at all, DONT buy if youre planning on playing by yourself, i love playing Star Rush solo, but this sucks solo, and i dont like the minigames so much.

Its probably a good game, but for me; i feel that the "Nintendo Magic" is gone, just like in Oddysey; a good game but lacks the magic of Nintendo :(

Sorry you feel his way. I had the same feeling in some of Nintendo other games (Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Mario Tenis) but if I had to pick one game that encapsulates Nintendo Magic it would be Mario Odyssey.

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
Had a fantastic time with this and three friends last night. Can't wait to tuck into it again tonight.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I was hating on the Kamek board for being so incredibly tiny, but I must say I do like how they mix up the concept by keeping the star in the same place and shitting you back to start every time you get one. I still wish the map was a lot bigger and more varied, but at least the unique features allow you to mix up the gameplay a bit.

Uubumaster

May 9, 2018
We played the partner mode against bots last night. We were three and had only two joy cons we had to pass around, and we had an amazing time nonetheless.
So yeah, definitely fun for two players.

marc^o^

Oct 26, 2017
Paris, France

100% disagree, this is a signature Nintendo title, with a Wario flavor in lots of mini games.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
Is there a consensus best among the GameCube Mario party titles? I only played 4 way back in middle school, but now I'm interested in picking up an old game to revisit classic MP.

MP6 is the one you want to play. Has the most consistent boards, minigames, items and gimmick of the series. Its widley agreed to be the best of the GC entries.

7 isnt a slouch either since each board plays radically different.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is there a consensus best among the GameCube Mario party titles? I only played 4 way back in middle school, but now I'm interested in picking up an old game to revisit classic MP.

They increase subtly in quality until MP6, and then MP7 is a bit more divisive but isn't a total letdown or anything. Just has some subtle tweaks for the worst, but also some other interesting features like an 8-player mode.

Mario Party 6 has boards that change between day and night every 3 turns which is an especially interesting gimmick.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
I was hating on the Kamek board for being so incredibly tiny, but I must say I do like how they mix up the concept by keeping the star in the same place and shitting you back to start every time you get one. I still wish the map was a lot bigger and more varied, but at least the unique features allow you to mix up the gameplay a bit.

I don't have the game yet but the Kamek board seems so painfully boring. Small, not many events, few branching paths, only 1 ally space.

Partner party mode seems way more fun to me.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

There's no consensus, but I would personally agree with Yukinari that MP6 is the best one of the 4 of them. Everything about it (except maybe the solo mode) is solid. Great boards, minigames, and items. If you can get a copy with a mic the mic minigames are also fun. The Day/Night cycle is awesome too,

Oct 27, 2017
Local play with 4 humans:

3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > 8 (Traditional)
6 > 7 > 5 (Orbs/Capsules)
10 > 9 (car)

My opinion changes time to time but this is how I feel right now.

6 > 3 > 7 > 2 > 5 > 1 > 4 > 8 > 10 > 9

The only reason I put 10 above 9 is because it at least gives you Bowser Party and Amiibo Party options. But note that 9 and 10 does not let down in either the quality or quantity of mini games and is worth a pick up for this reason alone. Wii Party and Wii Party U are also worth a buy and I recommend them over Mario Party 8,9 and 10.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Played two boards with my wife last night. She won both even though she was in last place the entirety of one.

I love playing as Goomba. He's got so much attitude lol.

I'm sure eventually the lack of variety in boards will get old but we're gonna see how our 4 year old does with it today and if she's into it lack of boards doesn't really matter.

Haven't had a dud mini game yet. Lots of cool Joycon use - like the magnifying glass one where you have to move the Joycon until the character is in focus.

Are the other modes turn based too?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Played two boards with my wife last night. She won both even though she was in last place the entirety of one.

I love playing as Goomba. He's got so much attitude lol.

I'm sure eventually the lack of variety in boards will get old but we're gonna see how our 4 year old does with it today and if she's into it lack of boards doesn't really matter.

Haven't had a dud mini game yet. Lots of cool Joycon use - like the magnifying glass one where you have to move the Joycon until the character is in focus.

Are the other modes turn based too?

Partner Party mode is turn based and essentially equivalent in depth. It remixes all the boards as well.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I feel the same way. The mini games on this are just boring. The boards are even worse. I feel like MP10 was a far better MP game, even with that car mode.

Most Nintendo titles on Switch have been a miss for me. ARMS, Odyssey, Kirby, Mario Tennis Aces, and now Super Mario Party. I love the hardware, but the software just isn't meeting the level of quality and "magic" I'm use to. I felt Wii U, even with its lackluster library, had much better first party titles.

Last edited:

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
Reading some impressions here, feels like if this had like 8 boards it would be the GOAT Mario Party. I really want to play it now when I get a chance.

Not to me, unfortunately. i was very very excited, but I'm really disappointed in a lot of things:

- Mini-games are shorter this time, up to MP9 they used to be 60 seconds i think, but now they are only 30 seconds like MP10. they are over way too fast.
- having too much coins... means you don't feel like you actually accomplished something when you beat others, and i never passed a star without having more than enough coins to buy it.
- there is not really much tension, and nothing can change the course of the game as dramatically as past titles.
- the boards are maybe the weakest in the series ~__~

but partner mode is great to me, it feels more fun than party mode itself which is a shame.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I feel the same way. The mini games on this are just boring. The boards are even worse. I feel like MP10 was a far better MP game, even with that car mode.

Most Nintendo titles on Switch have been a miss for me. ARMS, Odyssey, Kirby, Mario Tennis Aces, and now Super Mario Party. I love the hardware, but the software just isn't meeting the level of quality and "magic" I'm use to. I felt Wii U, even with its lack lusterlibrary, had much better first party titles.
I know what you're saying but with the exception of Odyssey those are all "B" tier (IMO) Nintendo franchises. They're still solid but I wouldn't expect them to have the shimmer and shine of Odyssey or BOTW if you know what I mean. Even though Mario Kart is a port it has that shine. Odyssey does too

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
Bless the bonus stars. Just like the older mario party games I stayed at 3rd and 2nd place because toadette just never floated near me for stars. What I did do was dominate in coins and minigames. Bought the most items too. Got all the bonus stars because of that and finished in 1st place. Just like old times.