Should Capcom start including guest characters in Street Fighter?

• Yes, & it should be done in Street Fighter V.

Votes: 104 8.9%
  • Yes, but they should save them for Street Fighter VI (&/or beyond).

Votes: 193 16.4%
  • No, Capcom has enough Street Fighter characters to pull from.

Votes: 878 74.7%

• Total voters

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver
I'd say "No" to guest characters as an "outside of the universe/one-off" capacity, but that they could more openly utilize their peripheral characters (Rival Schools, Final Fight, Saturday Night Slam Masters) more often.
I'd rather see a "Capcom vs. Capcom", "Capcom Mega Mix", or "King of Capcom" with characters from all over their history of fighters and side-scrolling beat-em-ups.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
"Final Fight and Street Fighter share the same universe"

No, that's a retcon. Street Fighter has New York, Final Fight has Metro City. So technically Guy and Sodom were guest characters in Street Fighter Alpha.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017

No, that's a retcon. Street Fighter has New York, Final Fight has Metro City. So technically Guy and Sodom were guest characters in Street Fighter Alpha.
Final Fight literally started out as Street Fighter 89. Both cities can exist in that universe also.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Might as well integrate Rival School into Street Fighter completely

The Great Capcom Unification plan:

1. Resident Evil + Dino Crisis + Haunting Grounds
2. Street Fighter + Final Fight + Rival School
3. Devil May Cry + Darkstalkers + Onimusha

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Final Fight was initially named Street Fighter '89. So yeah, Final Fight being in the SF world was definitely part of the original plan.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
2. Street Fighter + Final Fight + Rival School
Sakura went to the school in a Rival schools and Dan's cousin was in the cast.

I think the universe is:
Street Fighter + Final Fight + Rival Schools + Saturday Night Masters
I read that Darkstalkers might occur around the time of the Alpha series too. Rose is involved in the occult and there's Oro, so it's possible.
Zeku is a nod to Strider

I prefer Capcom keep guests to the vs series because it's a better Mashup than just one guest. Look at how fast SFxT came out compared to Namco's version.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I like guest characters in some titles but I just dont think it fits in street fighter.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I need SNK guest characters since we are never going to have another Capcom vs SNk game or remaster or re-release.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I need SNK guest characters since we are never going to have another Capcom vs SNk game or remaster or re-release.
You ever consider the reason why we aren't getting another Capcom Vs SNK is the same reason we won't get a guest character? As in - SNK and Capcom not being on the best terms (allegedly). Likewise those asking for Fighting EX Layer characters are probably out of luck for the same reasons (again, allegedly)

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SF has ton of guest characters. Rolento, Guy, Cody, Hugo, Poison, Sodom, Abigail. For some reason Haggar still hasnt made his debut in the mainline games.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nah ... Guest chars usually don't show up in every iteration and end up being part of the main story.

Street%2BFighter%2B30th%2BAnniversary%2BCollection%2B-%2BStreet%2BFighter%2B89.jpg

Then you have chars like Zeku , who is heavily linked to a Final Fight character. And then goes on to link SF to another franchise.

zeku-sfv-story-artwork3.jpg

Don't really think they are guests at this point.
Akuma was retrofitted into the Tekken main storyline of the franchise. I do understand that Final Fight / Street fighter is a special case

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Nah ... Guest chars usually don't show up in every iteration and end up being part of the main story.

Street%2BFighter%2B30th%2BAnniversary%2BCollection%2B-%2BStreet%2BFighter%2B89.jpg

Then you have chars like Zeku , who is heavily linked to a Final Fight character. And then goes on to link SF to another franchise.

zeku-sfv-story-artwork3.jpg

Don't really think they are guests at this point.
Yup. I love how Capcom pushes closer to this connected universe of theirs that they have. A Slam Masters character or two next would be awesome. Heck, technically since Captain Commando takes place in Final Fights future... can we get someone from that series show up?

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
No because motherfuckers never know when to stop

Mk11 season pass is 3 guest characters and 3 returning characters. That aggravates the piss out of me

Soul caliburs thing has kinda become guest characters I suppose so it's annoying but expected now

I like the split between original and returning characters, not a 3rd split of "some IP that probably won't be viable for a sequel"

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Both Metro City and New York have a statue of liberty? How peculiar.

Metro City could be New York City. SFV's City in Chaos stage location is listed as New York City, but the cop cars say MPD (as in Metro City PD) and Haggar's name is on the buildings.

OR...

Metro City could be a suburb of NYC in New York or New Jersey.

All likelihood is Capcom simply hasn't decided and it's a continuity error. Either way, the existence of the two doesn't mean Final Fight and Street Fighter aren't part of the same franchise and always have been. They are.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
There are already several cities with a Statue of Liberty in the real world so I dont think it's an issue in a fictional one.

Lewpy

Oct 28, 2017
Guest characters are ok but I never invest much time into them. Simply because there inclusion is only relevant to the iteration of the game they are in. They rarely appear in later versions of the franchise.

I have muscle memory of characters from Tekken 3, that are relevant to today's version. IMO it's literally a waste of time dedicating significant effort into guest characters.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
You ever consider the reason why we aren't getting another Capcom Vs SNK is the same reason we won't get a guest character? As in - SNK and Capcom not being on the best terms (allegedly). Likewise those asking for Fighting EX Layer characters are probably out of luck for the same reasons (again, allegedly)

I'm sure Arika came out and said they'd be interested in working with Capcom.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Given the SFV Winter Update having happened & Max's huge gift sub bet regarding a KoF character as the final SFV character still being in play, I thought it would be a good time to bring back this discussion.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I still think its gonna be a Decapre type reveal. I don't think its gonna be anyone special, or at least I'm certainly not getting my hopes up that it'll be one of the few characters I actually want.
For the record, I'd like to see Biff (or another Slam Masters character), Haggar (as either a Final Fight or SM rep) and Captain Commando (he's sorta Capcom's original mascot) as my "out there" choices. That's ignoring more sensible choices like C Viper or Makoto that are possibilities, or left for SFVI...

I doubt its another Rival Schools character, and I really hope its not a character from a non Capcom series (especially as all the FEXL characters I wanted are now present via costumes), but an SNK character (preferably a popular one that's not already used in another fighter already) would be cool - which I guess basically limits it to Kyo or Athena at this point? Ryo I suppose, but... do we need him when we already have Dan this season? Granted he wouldn't play the exact same as Dan but... I just want someone a little more original than another shoto styled character unless they make him really unique.

Sep 7, 2020
I can definitely see a guest character reveal. The fact they haven't shown who it is likely means its gotta be an "oh shit" type of character. I am thinking someone from SNK or Banco.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nooooo.

They have too many great characters across their various SF titles and not enough room as it is.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Guess characters are cool, but they're usually a one and done kinda deal in most fighting games. I spent a good amount of time mastering Kratos in Mortal kombat 9, only for him never to show up again in future titles.
Capcom in general got a boat load of characters that they don't really need guess ones.

SykoTech

Dec 23, 2020
Saw that video from Max too.

I felt since the Akira reveal that the last character would be a guest character. Surely they have to be more of a special addition Akira to keep them secret and not her, so a non-Capcom character makes since. As for it being a SNK character, I guess I can see it. Personally I was leaning more towards a Tekken character, as a nod to Akuma getting in T7. Then again, I guess that's what SFxT was for. And Capcom might want to stay away from anything that reminds people of that, lol.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Saw that video from Max too.

I felt since the Akira reveal that the last character would be a guest character. Surely they have to be more of a special addition Akira to keep them secret and not her, so a non-Capcom character makes since. As for it being a SNK character, I guess I can see it. Personally I was leaning more towards a Tekken character, as a nod to Akuma getting in T7. Then again, I guess that's what SFxT was for. And Capcom might want to stay away from anything that reminds people of that, lol.
Split the difference, make original characters based off the Tekken side of the roster.

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Im thinking why waste a guest character spot in the last spot of the last season? Assuming SF6 is a year away by the time the last character gets released. Unless the same guest is also in SF6.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Im thinking why waste a guest character spot in the last spot of the last season? Assuming SF6 is a year away by the time the last character gets released. Unless the same guest is also in SF6.

Other than being unnecessary with so many SF universe characters Capcom own the rights to at their disposal, I very much agree that introducing a guest at the end of the game's life would be a waste from a promotional standpoint if SFV would be their only appearance.

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
No please. Guest characters suck hard.

Nothing more stupid than Rambo or Jason on MK for instance.

Leave SF out of that crap

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Again, Capcom has a literal embarrassment of riches when it comes to their massive roster of characters throughout their entire history as a video game publisher. They're the last company that needs to look into other people's IPs to crib from.

AND I think it would be a disservice to Street Fighter V and the brand itself to fill the very last spot with some third party character after five years of not doing stuff like that. Honestly it would be very weird.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Again, Capcom has a literal embarrassment of riches when it comes to their massive roster of characters throughout their entire history as a video game publisher. They're the last company that needs to look into other people's IPs to crib from.

AND I think it would be a disservice to Street Fighter V and the brand itself to fill the very last spot with some third party character after five years of not doing stuff like that. Honestly it would be very weird.
To be fair, even pulling from something like Darkstalkers would still be a guest compared to franchises already in the SF universe like Final Fight, Rival Schools, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Captain Commando, & now Strider.

Is Strider part of the universe as well?
Yes, Zeku is the first Strider.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot I voted "no" in this. Honestly, I still stand by it because Capcom has the VS. series, and SF has some of the best character designs out there that their newcomers are sure to deliver, but it wouldn't bother me if SF had a guest character. Terry Bogard is probably the only one I think would be a "good" guest from another company though.

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
To be fair, even pulling from something like Darkstalkers would still be a guest compared to franchises already in the SF universe like Final Fight, Rival Schools, Saturday Night Slam Masters, Captain Commando, & now Strider.

Yes, Zeku is the first Strider.

By this argument, all previous guest characters in SF aren't guests because they're now part of the SF universe.

If they add Arthur, boom medieval SF. Darkstalkers? Same with Arthur. MegaMan? Future SF.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
By this argument, all previous guest characters in SF aren't guests because they're now part of the SF universe.

If they add Arthur, boom medical SF. Darkstalkers? Same with Arthur. MegaMan? Future SF.
The connection was made through an existing SF character, though.

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Both SF and GG have that prestige of being the premiere series of their respective fields.

Would I object? No. But I don't mind if SF just keeps being SF. Besides, that V-Shift mechanic (AND DAN) has been hyping people up anyways.

Oct 26, 2017
SF is one of the last major fighting game IPs to not have any guests, so I'm of the opinion that this final SFV character should not be a guest character.

That said, if it has to be a guest, then someone from another fighting game would be preferable as opposed to someone like Negan or Darth Vader. So, someone from KOF would be fine.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
No thanks. My favorite Street Fighter characters already have a hard enough time making it into their own franchise.