Should Capcom start including guest characters in Street Fighter?

• Yes, & it should be done in Street Fighter V.

Votes: 104 8.9%
  • Yes, but they should save them for Street Fighter VI (&/or beyond).

Votes: 193 16.4%
  • No, Capcom has enough Street Fighter characters to pull from.

Votes: 878 74.7%

• Total voters

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I said it before and I'll say it until the end.

I'll forever find it whack that Ryu can show up in literally anything but having the reverse is just not allowed for some reason. I feel like there's a good way to balance it. They wouldn't need to go Mortal Kombat crazy with guests.

Slapping in RS characters would be a good move though.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
With Season 5 announced for SFV & people discussing the possibility of a guest character, I thought now would be a good time to bring this discussion back.

It's still a no.

Street Fighter is spoiled with a wealth of great characters and Capcom has proven this gen that they're still capable of introducing great newcomers.

And while SF's base might not be as large as MK , Smash, or Tekken these days, it's thriving, sustainable, and dedicated. The game just doesn't die. It does steady numbers every damn quarter without them doing something risky that could tarnish the brand. SFV is already on its way to 5 million copies sold with potential to reach 6 million now that more content is on the way. It and DBFZ are proof you don't need guests for a fighting game to do well if your characters are already beloved.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Every time NRS announces their DLC fighters it includes a couple guest characters and I can't stand it. I know they do really well for them but I legitimately hate guest characters.
Brings in money and it brings more attention to the game. Something the game needs.

fuck just make a Capcom fighter with darkstalkers and rival schools? Like wtf?

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Capcom has a series dedicated to guest characters, I don't think they need it for the main SF series.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Under Night, King of Fighters are all pure too. Capcom has more fighters themed around guest characters than anyone else, some of which are even Street Fighter spin-offs, I don't see why mainline SF need guest characters.

Last edited:

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should return the favor.
latest

Oct 25, 2017
Guilty Gear, Blaz Blue, Under Night, King of Fighters are all pure too. Capcom has more fighters themed around guest characters than anyone else, some of which are even Street Fighter spin-offs, I don't see why mainline SF need guest characters.
Undernight has Eltnum from melty blood and Akatsuki from Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. I like when MK does it and I liked how the Tekken characters came out in SfvT.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Street Figther has guest characters from Final Fight though (and has had for almost 3 decades)

also while we call them cross over games Street fighter has had Marvel, Xmen, SNK and Telken characters

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

I'll forever find it whack that Ryu can show up in literally anything but having the reverse is just not allowed for some reason. I feel like there's a good way to balance it. They wouldn't need to go Mortal Kombat crazy with guests.

I feel like their approach to introducing new continuities is different from the others. In the case of Final Fight, it was always part of the SF universe since its inception. They even melded franchises like Strider into the SF world via Zeku. But to be honest, I'm not sure if they'll go as far as to introduce I guess character in the same fashion as Tekken or Mortal Kombat. Plus, unlike the other two, Capcom has the Versus series.

tusk

Banned
Apr 25, 2018
Chicago, IL
This is the worst topic title I've seen on this forum. This feels like discussion purely for the sake of discussion.

more on topic: capcom has some of the best character designs in the industry, period - maybe the best of the late 90s/early 00s era

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
For what it's worth; I'm not really a fan of guest characters. Prefer it when it is just the people from the series of games it is.

PaladinCharge

Nov 17, 2017
Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, Under Night, King of Fighters are all pure too. Capcom has more fighters themed around guest characters than anyone else, some of which are even Street Fighter spin-offs, I don't see why mainline SF need guest characters.
The latest "BlazBlue" (BBTag) game was basically a giant crossover game. I guess there's the argument that it's not a pure BlazBlue game, but it's called BlazBlue and they haven't released a "mainline" game since its release. King of Fighters has always been a crossover franchise between all of SNK's fighters, too, so it's kind of a poor example. There's many characters in that game those games that make no sense canonically (Garou characters, SamSho characters).

Also notable is that SFV of course has Poison and Cody (from Final Fight originally) in it, so arguably it already has crossover characters. I wouldn't be opposed to other characters like that that also kind of fit in SFV's world, like Rival Schools, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, or maybe even KoF/Tekken.

Matarick

Nov 11, 2017
I wouldn't mind Guest Costumes from non Capcom games appearing in SFV, like an Akira Ono, from High Score Girl, outfit plus mask for Zangief. It would be a good compromise for the no guest character rule for the Street Fighter series.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
Bring on Heihachi. I'm ready for the guest character to come. Guest characters are great, so I say bring them on. Alternatively, they could add Skullomania. He would technically be guest character.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Street Fighter doesn't do petty guest characters. They do full blown crossovers. Capcom vs SNK, XMEN vs Street Fighter, Street Fighter x Tekken etc.

The closest we get to a guest character is Dan which is a joke version of Ryo from SNKs Art of Fighting

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I would love to see Capcom make guest theme packs. Like make an SNK pack, a Streets of Rage pack, a Final Fight pack etc.

They don't really need to though, I'm generally more excited about new Street fighter characters.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
If they are willing to make the versus series live, in a way it is currently NOT, then there's no need. But if the versus series will be something like one game every 10 years then by all means feel free to add Capcom guest characters. I'd be inclined to even accept non-Capcom guests as long as it's gaming related and it makes sense with the universe.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I would rather see another Capcom vs SNK or a Capcom vs Sega.

That would be awesome,
The systems in those games wouldn't change things up drastically though would they? Perhaps doing a full expansion packs that just adds a sega roster, adds tag modes, and adds an SNK roster would be good enough.

I hope they announce a Street Fighter VI more than anything soon though.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
The latest "BlazBlue" (BBTag) game was basically a giant crossover game. I guess there's the argument that it's not a pure BlazBlue game, but it's called BlazBlue and they haven't released a "mainline" game since its release. King of Fighters has always been a crossover franchise between all of SNK's fighters, too, so it's kind of a poor example. There's many characters in that game those games that make no sense canonically (Garou characters, SamSho characters).

Also notable is that SFV of course has Poison and Cody (from Final Fight originally) in it, so arguably it already has crossover characters. I wouldn't be opposed to other characters like that that also kind of fit in SFV's world, like Rival Schools, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, or maybe even KoF/Tekken.
How is BBxTag any different from Street Fighter x Tekken, XMen vs Street Fighter, MSH vs Street Fighter. Also, retrospectively, whole Street Fighter EX series is basically Street Fighter vs Arika now lol.
And OP pointed out that Final Fight is part of SF world, so they don't count, which also exclude KoF having guest characters since they're from games that share the same world.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Also notable is that SFV of course has Poison and Cody (from Final Fight originally) in it, so arguably it already has crossover characters.
And Lucia.

Though Final Fight and Street Fighter take place in the same world so that works. Rival Schools as well. Outside of those, I don't think I want to see anybody.

Oh, and there's Strider since Zeku was the first Strider. So there's that..

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
I would rather see another Capcom vs SNK or a Capcom vs Sega.
And you think that Capcom is going to risk more big failures like Street Fighter vs Tekken or Marvel vs Capcom Infinite?

Guest characters in Street Fighter allows them to have cross over characters and the press that they bring while not risking the entire game.

Look at all the guest characters in Tekken 7 yet Harada is still very apprehensive about a Tekken vs Street Fighter.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If they are willing to make the versus series live, in a way it is currently NOT, then there's no need. But if the versus series will be something like one game every 10 years then by all means feel free to add Capcom guest characters. I'd be inclined to even accept non-Capcom guests as long as it's gaming related and it makes sense with the universe.
I feel like this sort of mentality makes no sense

No games needs guest characters

Guest chaarcters exist to bring eyes to shit, whether it be your game or someone elses thing. There is whole other level of marketing that is often the center point of these decisions. The VS series is just marvel, and that doesn't make sense if say someone wanted to bring eyes to I dunno their new fighter or rpg. Why construct an entire series of games to push one character.

No just throw em street fighters, old heads will get pissy but fuck em they'll live

This
It and DBFZ are proof you don't need guests for a fighting game to do well if your characters are already beloved.
I guess you can think this if you don't understand why guest characters exist

DBZF is the guest characters. The whole thing is the guest characters. DBZ is a guest , too fighting games. It exists to bring eyes to fighting games and DBZ in relation to each other. Street fighter, no fighter NEEDS guest characters. But they help bring eyes to things. The idea that its some " legacy " or some " brand that need not be tarnished " and not a bunch of people trying to make money as a corporation is a weirdly baffling romataization of the descions made that get that point.

Street fighter can have a guest character, it will be fine. It will bring eyes to things, you will live. Your imaginary brand tarnishing or whatever the hell wont exist.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
The Street Fighter universe has already incorporated Final Fight and, indirectly Strider. They could also dip into Slam Masters or Rival Schools for more known characters if they want as those are tangentially connected as well. Save characters from other series/companies for the Vs. series.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
They can, if they want. I think that if someone like Kyo Kusanagi was part of the last season of SFV it would get a lot of people to cream their pants just for the fact that SNK is willing to work with Capcom again and the possibilities of a CvS3. At least I know I would, lol.

Dude's acting like a guest character would soil the sanctity of a franchise that already got costumes advertising Red Bull and the awful (thankfully optional) stickers plastered without any care or consideration of the aesthetics of the characters with the explicit purpose of promoting Capcom's tournament.

A guest character may be advertising for other franchises but at least it can provide a lot of fun fan service and even some interesting translations of foreign mechanics from the game they represent.

PaladinCharge

Nov 17, 2017
How is BBxTag any different from Street Fighter x Tekken, XMen vs Street Fighter, MSH vs Street Fighter. Also, retrospectively, whole Street Fighter EX series is basically Street Fighter vs Arika now lol.
And OP pointed out that Final Fight is part of SF world, so they don't count, which also exclude KoF having guest characters since they're from games that share the same world.

Yeah the BB comparison to crossover games is fair. I guess the main difference is that Blazblue is the centerpiece with by far the most characters, and it's not called BlazBlue "versus some other franchise", it's full title is "BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle", which (edit: more or) less matches the naming conventions of previous BlazBlue games. I'm kinda with you, though.

KoF is a very different story from FF being in Street Fighter. Unlike Cody or w/e being in SF, Nakoruru being in KoF makes no sense in the context of those games, and imo can't really be seen as anything other than a guest character. If Capcom says Fokker from Power Stone travels through time to be a dlc character and is now in the SF universe, are we not calling that a guest character?

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The first Dragon Ball fighting games came out like 30 years ago, but you tried, man.
You tried

That game was advertised as the first serious foray into fighting game for dragon ball. While that might not be technically accurate, I have played multiple dbZ fighting games. Its was one of the first attempts with a more formal setting in the sense of its mainly restricted to the constraits of a 3 on 3 vs fighter and foregoing DBZ staples like beam struggles and everyone being able to fly to exist there and its the first one to exist in a our modern post e sports times, which was stated by the devs themselves to be important as to why they are developing it.

DBZ is the guest to modern fighting games, I said what I said and it was accurate. It was sold that way, it was a roster of guest fighters. And most of the guests were named Goku and Vegeta. And odds are Namco will continue to advertise it as such

Thre will be a naruto guest fighter, maybe a one peice guest fighter. The whole game is a guest fighter. This anime is actually indulging this genre seriously and you have the luxury to indulge in it

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
KoF is a very different story from FF being in Street Fighter. Unlike Cody or w/e being in SF, Nakoruru being in KoF makes no sense in the context of those games, and imo can't really be seen as anything other than a guest character. If Capcom says Fokker from Power Stone travels through time to be a dlc character and is now in the SF universe, are we not calling that a guest character?
Comparing KOF to SF doesn't work because KOF is inherently a crossover series to begin with. It existed to pull in multiple SNK franchises to one place.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Yeah the BB comparison to crossover games is fair. I guess the main difference is that Blazblue is the centerpiece with by far the most characters, and it's not called BlazBlue "versus some other franchise", it's full title is "BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle", which (edit: more or) less matches the naming conventions of previous BlazBlue games. I'm kinda with you, though.

Forgot about Nakoruro, I believe KoF XI also had guest characters from other unrelated SNK franchises.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And Lucia.

Though Final Fight and Street Fighter take place in the same world so that works. Rival Schools as well. Outside of those, I don't think I want to see anybody.

Oh, and there's Strider since Zeku was the first Strider. So there's that..

Yeah this is how I think I would like it. I'm hoping we get Akira or even Kyosuke . Someone from Rivals Schools this time please.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's already been stated with FF and Rival Schools characters, but they're not the same standard of guest people are talking about. That said, I'm in the "No" camp anyway, generally.

Capcom prove they still bring out fresh, fun characters. Honestly, I'm having a blast with Lucia of all characters. And just like Lucia as the example again, they have a whole host of characters within SF/FF/RS settings that they have yet to tap into + all the existing characters having friends/acquaintances that would make dope additions e.g. some of the other dolls would be DOPE but they went with Decapre, even if some have brief appearances in Story mode. Or Azam. Or Sakura's Friend #106. Or Mel Masters, Datta, etc etc.

SF doesn't need the guests from external IP. Save those for the VS games.

That said, if it was a nostalgia tea or something, I wouldn't say no to Terry, Kyo or another SNK dude. But that's my limit, personally. And even that would just make be beg for a CvS3 instead!

I guess what I like about SF and KOF is they both tap into their own linked, mostly in-universe franchises e.g. SF+Final Fight+Rival Schools, and KOF+Fatal Fury+AOF+others. So much they already have, and plenty of great original stuff they still pump out. Confidence in their own talent, basically. No need to be like namco and SoulCalibur - guest after guest, and yet Hwang is sitting in a field alone. Psh!

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in for characters from Fighting EX Layer

Give me Skullomania and Pullum in the main series

Oct 27, 2017
Heck, I would rather Jessica Haggar learns martial arts and becomes a fighter than to have weird cross overs.

Hell, might as well do it cause it sounds badass.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom has a bunch of Street Fighter-adjacent worlds that they've BARELY incorporated into the series. The only one they've mined repeatedly is Final Fight. Saturday Night Slam Masters and RiVal Schools haven't even been touched yet. I'd assume it's coming. One day.

Capcom actually has talented character designers so they don't need to go the Tekken way.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
You tried

That game was advertised as the first serious foray into fighting game for dragon ball. While that might not be technically accurate, I have played multiple dbZ fighting games. Its was one of the first attempts with a more formal setting in the sense of its mainly restricted to the constraits of a 3 on 3 vs fighter and foregoing DBZ staples like beam struggles and everyone being able to fly to exist there and its the first one to exist in a our modern post e sports times, which was stated by the devs themselves to be important as to why they are developing it.

DBZ is the guest to modern fighting games, I said what I said and it was accurate. It was sold that way, it was a roster of guest fighters. And most of the guests were named Goku and Vegeta. And odds are Namco will continue to advertise it as such

Thre will be a naruto guest fighter, maybe a one peice guest fighter. The whole game is a guest fighter. This anime is actually indulging this genre seriously and you have the luxury to indulge in it

It's not even the first 2D Dragon Ball fighting game. You really reaching. DBFZ is an achievement in that it's the first competitive Dragon Ball fighting game from a celebrated fighting game developer, but to say Dragon Ball is a guest to fighting games...that's difficult to take seriously.

Look, I know talking about "brands" like I did up top is disgusting and lazy. But the fact is establishing continuity matters in all kinds of fiction. Movies, cartoons, comics, and even video games. It's not a hard rule that can never be broken and in fact it's broken all the time (especially in fighting games) but it helps preserve the integrity of the world that's been built. World building is not the most valuable thing in fighting games, but it has some value, and it shouldn't be discarded thoughtlessly.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
but it helps preserve the integrity of the world that's been built.
Yo homie these dudes regualrly throw hands with gods, super heroes , literal real life comedians , the power rangers, and a multitude of other people. A guy showing up from somehere else like " hey ryu imma punch you in the face " isn't going destroy the intregrety of that world. Its not , even if you don't like it, its not. You are holding street fighter a product , up a standard that in reality the people making it probably do not care for. Hence Street fighter characters showing up in a multitude of video games for the past forever.

Jin will be in street fighter 6 and ya'll will live

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Actually I take everything back. Copy and paste Steve Fox and Kazuya from sfxt to SFV. Thank you.