• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should Capcom start including guest characters in Street Fighter?

• Yes, & it should be done in Street Fighter V.

Votes: 104 8.9%
  • Yes, but they should save them for Street Fighter VI (&/or beyond).

Votes: 193 16.4%
  • No, Capcom has enough Street Fighter characters to pull from.

Votes: 878 74.7%

• Total voters

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Do people still consider the Final Fight guys as guests?

They have been in so many games, some of which more than actual original Street Fighter only characters that i just don't see them as guests at all, heck, if you ask someone who grew up after Final Fight was a thing and they play Street Fighter, i would be shocked if they didn't think Guy, Cody, Hugo and others weren't Street Fighter characters since they first appeared.

After many appearances, they stop being guests and more part of the regular cast, as for the topic in hand, i actually don't mind crossover fighters at all, i actually love how silly and how non-canonical they are BUT, Capcom has so many characters already they genuinely don't need to go down this route.

Just saying, Rival Schools is a thing, so is Power Stone, and Darkstalkers, and Star Gladiator, not to mention characters from series that aren't fighting games that could be used again, and Street Fighter already has some fighters so insane that a lot of their characters could actually fit in the SF setting, even if some would maybe require some time travel or crazy explanation as to why they are fighting SF characters.

Granted, not all characters can appear, can't see how Tech Romancer characters would appear at all, but a lot of Capcom games could still be in Street Fighter.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
At this point, they're probably gonna just prep for Street Fighter VI in terms of amassing sales. And despite SFV underperforming, Street Fighter as a brand is still going strong (that plus SFV is showing decent legs as it is now).

Sure is going strong, but SF should be one of the biggest fighting franchises of the world.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Honestly, SFV launched in a bad state with not enough content, and it's true that Street Fighter isn't getting as many people as Capcom wants, but despite not minding Guest Characters, they are not the answer, look at MK, Tekken and Soul Calibur among others, they put their guest characters and some people got interested, but i doubt people went ahead and paid for a full price game plus DLC in some cases to buy a game in a genre they usually don't like or that pretty much tends to live on multiplayer.

Smash Bros is really popular, but it's also a much easier game to get into, chock full of content and has all kinds of crazy stuff that most fighting games don't have, and that's the problem, the amount of people willing to buy and invest time into fighting games is the size of a niche audience, and sometimes i feel like a lot of people who try to get into fighting games quit because they are too overwhelmed or get tired of not being able to practice and fight with people that are either complete newbies button mashing or players that kick their asses with one or two combos.

There is a problem regarding how to target and sell fighting games to a major audience, and an even bigger problem making sure that gamers who start, get invested enough to keep playing and buying them...too bad i don't know the answer to this, it just never felt like guest fighters made much of a difference, people here may hate it, but a lot of people really just chuckle and find it awesome to see gaming crossovers, particularly if they make sense...unlike Negan in Tekken or the Star Wars characters in Soul Calibur which were mocked for a reason.

But the people buying the crossover characters they like...are people who already had the game to begin with or were going to buy the game anyways for the most part.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Save it for a game that doesn't suck. They've seemed to nail their rollback with MvCi. SFVI should be good.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't care less for guest characters to be honest. For SFVI just hope the gameplay is more to my taste and that the online works, netcode and functionalities.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I'm thinking that guest characters might help attract new players to the SF fighting game community. I can't see why that would be a bad thing. I mean, it's not like the SF canon is that serious anyways.

Edit: I suppose I am in the minority for this opinion.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
I think they should start with Capcom fighting game franchise guests, like Rival Schools. They kind of already did that with the plathora of Final Fight characters which worked quite well.

In a way they go all out with guest inclusions when it comes to costumes, so they're clearly not totally opposed to bringing in characters from other IPs

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
I would rather have them make a new character and maybe do something we haven't seen before. The new character can at least move on to a sequel or a spinoff without legal issues.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Sure is going strong, but SF should be one of the biggest fighting franchises of the world.
I mean, it is. Isn't it nearly 4 million sold, and that's only with a ps4 and pc release. Those would be good numbers for any game, let alone a fighting game.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it is. Isn't it nearly 4 million sold, and that's only with a ps4 and pc release. Those would be good numbers for any game, let alone a fighting game.

Those are the two biggest player bases, and 4 millions after years selling for less than half the msrp price is not a lot.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Those are the two biggest player bases, and 4 millions after years selling for less than half the msrp price is not a lot.
It was still regularly the most watched fighting game on streams, and with the most entrance in tournaments until this year (which was a pretty slow year for SFV content wise). The costumes were probably very profitable as well considering how many costumes they made.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
They botched the launch, which gave the title quite a bad rep for the remainder of its lifespan, but it's still doing great within the competitive scene and they've been selling costumes for a good while. For a title that royally fucked up when it launched, I'd say it recovered decently. They gotta knock it the fuck outta the park when SF6 comes out, since people will be quick to being up SFV's launch period.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
Smash is my number 0 in my top 5 aka my absolute favorite game(s)/series of all time. And I understand I'm the minority here but I absolutely hate what they're doing with guest characters and spirits in Ultimate. It's one of the reasons it's one of my least favorite smash games. I'm not the biggest fan of SF but personally I think they should keep guest characters out.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
It was still regularly the most watched fighting game on streams, and with the most entrance in tournaments until this year (which was a pretty slow year for SFV content wise). The costumes were probably very profitable as well considering how many costumes they made.

Oh, dont get me wrong, it is a blast to watch. Love the competitive scene of SF, but I mean they really need to get things right and make it more appealing for the next entry.

They botched the launch, which gave the title quite a bad rep for the remainder of its lifespan, but it's still doing great within the competitive scene and they've been selling costumes for a good while. For a title that royally fucked up when it launched, I'd say it recovered decently. They gotta knock it the fuck outta the park when SF6 comes out, since people will be quick to being up SFV's launch period.

I agree. I hope they are hard at work (no crunch pls) to make sure the next game is the best it can be from day one. They know how to support the game, let's hope they learnt from SFV launch debacle.

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Wasn't Street Fighter V released a bit undercooked due to Sony's meddling, anyways? and Capcom was in a difficult position because of Panta Rhei sucking a lot of money to ultimately be unused for anything, now they have recovered and probably learned a lot with SFV and Marvel Infinite, so I really doubt history will repeat itself for their next fighting games.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
With Season 5 announced for SFV & people discussing the possibility of a guest character, I thought now would be a good time to bring this discussion back.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
In the past i would have said no but now... sure bring it.

Edit: Dammit old thread :p

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
With Season 5 announced for SFV & people discussing the possibility of a guest character, I thought now would be a good time to bring this discussion back.
My vote for a guest is just a Fighting EX Layer character

it'd be funny just due to the roundabout nature of things

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
Only from games that are already closely linked to sf. No darkstalkers and resident evil and so on.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think it is great that they are not relying on guest characters yet.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My opinion is the same as before. Capcom has too rich of a history to bother cribbing from some other IP.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda like the purity of the Street Fighter roster but I am figuring Morrigan gets in eventually, like Nakoruru in KoF.

God please, I feel like they haven't had an interesting character since Akuma.

bring in the Bogard brothers and Joe to clean house.

If you want Capcom vs. SNK 3 just play Smash or Tekken, yo.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of good choices in the SF universe left, so no. We don't need crap like Noctis infecting SFV thanks very much. I'd vastly prefer characters like Eagle showing up again, though I'd definitely not say no to characters from other series connected to the SF universe - for example Rival Schools or more Final Fight. That'd be fine.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
My main concern is always that weird licensing issues with guest characters might prevent them rereleasing the game years later if the agreement has expired. Or even updating the existing game.

Street Fighter has plenty of characters in its own universe to make do. And loads of series in Capcom's own related franchises who've gone untouched.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all. Street Fighter has a huge variety of characters to pull from. No reason to introduce guest characters to be honest. I don't think they're a benefit anyways.

I am okay with the idea of the vs. games though, as something separate from Street Fighter.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Every time NRS announces their DLC fighters it includes a couple guest characters and I can't stand it. I know they do really well for them but I legitimately hate guest characters.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Remember Cole from SFxT? Remember Street Fighter the Mouse Generation?

Anyways, I don't really think they need to. And if they did, I'd prefer it to be something that sort of expands their own Capcom universe, sort of like what happened with Final Fight, but with say, Rival Schools. Especially Rival Schools.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Naw, keep that to the spinoffs (MVC, CVS, TVC, SFXT, Pocket/Puzzle Fighter, etc). FF doesn't count either, it and SF are in a shared setting.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Wait... I thought Street Fighter already had guest characters since they included Jackie Chan in Street Fighter II

raw

Only kidding...

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
I actually kinda like that they don't sell out their universe and make it stupidly cheap just for easy marketable cameos.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guest characters feel out of place most of the time and I am never interested playing with them.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I just they fully bring in the RS universe. Not exactly guest characters but I want some playable