Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, why man. It would have been perfect to ship it out with Stadia already on it. Thanks for the heads up though, now I can just watch the 90 second video instead of sitting through the whole presentation haha.
I ordered one because I have a flaky firestick to replace but it is insane that Stadia is not ready yet to launch on it

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
I ordered one because I have a flaky firestick to replace but it is insane that Stadia is not ready yet to launch on it
I'm going to end up ordering one too, mostly for the control for my wife, but it really is baffling. At least this pro month is good and here's hoping it's early Q1 when stadia support comes.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to end up ordering one too, mostly for the control for my wife, but it really is baffling. At least this pro month is good and here's hoping it's early Q1 when stadia support comes.
I just cannot wrap my head around how disinterested Google is in promoting Stadia, it is bizarre

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I will also order one as soon as I can get. The new Android TV looks great, but it is not available in my country 🤷‍♂️

But yeah, it not launching with Stadia is a bummer. Even more when The Verge was able to make it work: https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/29/21494161/google-chromecast-stadia-cloud-gaming-streaming-support

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I will also order one as soon as I can get. The new Android TV looks great, but it is not available in my country 🤷‍♂️

But yeah, it not launching with Stadia is a bummer. Even more when The Verge was able to make it work: https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/29/21494161/google-chromecast-stadia-cloud-gaming-streaming-support
It's kind of funny as I wanted the Chromecast for another location to easily use Stadia but with Luna launching replacing my Firestick became questionable, same issue though as Luna not launching in Canada yet. As long as I can sideload everything it's all good
It would be funny if the @madebygoogle account blocked the @googlestadia account for that. Just to really show Stadia where they stand on the Google totem pole, hah.
Just noticed it says first half of 2021...so they are committing to an AndroidTV version in the next 9 months?!?!Back to my theory that it is a team of like 4 people

xmonkeyofevil

Jun 9, 2019
No wonder it's hard for this service to grow. It works great, but if everyone on the outside looking in looks at this as a half-assed side project from Google, and Google does nothing to change that perception, why would anyone hop in? Maybe I'm being too pessimistic about this new Chromecast support, but it's so frustrating to see the potential here squandered.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
No wonder it's hard for this service to grow. It works great, but if everyone on the outside looking in looks at this as a half-assed side project from Google, and Google does nothing to change that perception, why would anyone hop in? Maybe I'm being too pessimistic about this new Chromecast support, but it's so frustrating to see the potential here squandered.
The problem is that Google treats everything like a side project, even when its best in class (pours one out for Google Reader and Google Music). Google is such a bizarre company when it comes to putting their best foot forward and standing behind their products.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Soooo I want the new Google TV (when it's out in Canada), but I would need to keep my Chromecast Ultra hooked up to use Stadia???? da fuq?

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
It can't be that hard to have Stadia work on that new Android TV device, what is Google thinking lol
I think the suggestion that Google only have a small number of people working on Stadia platform development is likely to be correct. If someone were to try to argue otherwise, I really don't know what they'd point to as evidence for that.

Soooo I want the new Google TV (when it's out in Canada), but I would need to keep my Chromecast Ultra hooked up to use Stadia???? da fuq?
You could sideload. The Verge did that and it mostly works, though with some really noticeable issues (like crashing when trying to buy a game - a serious issue on a technical level, but also one that's really easy to work around).

On the downside, though, this new Chromecast also doesn't have an ethernet port so unless you're happy playing over wireless you might want a USB hub with ethernet.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I think the suggestion that Google only have a small number of people working on Stadia platform development is likely to be correct. If someone were to try to argue otherwise, I really don't know what they'd point to as evidence for that.

You could sideload. The Verge did that and it mostly works, though with some really noticeable issues (like crashing when trying to buy a game - a serious issue on a technical level, but also one that's really easy to work around).

On the downside, though, this new Chromecast also doesn't have an ethernet port so unless you're happy playing over wireless you might want a USB hub with ethernet.

ahh side load. ok nice.

Isnt the ethernet port on the power brick for the ultra? couldnt I use that power brick with the new Google TV?

James

Oct 25, 2017
US
>:(

Seriously, I hate Google. I love their shit, but they are run by incompetent boobs.

I get that sentiment in a general sense, but I really don't think it applies here. The standard has moved on in the years since CCU was released, and they have moved with it. Google are very good about using industry-standard non-proprietary connectors in their devices as much as possible.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played in a while, it is broken on edge for me and looks quite terrible in Chrome..what happened lol

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
I get that sentiment in a general sense, but I really don't think it applies here. The standard has moved on in the years since CCU was released, and they have moved with it. Google are very good about using industry-standard non-proprietary connectors in their devices as much as possible.

Sure, my issue isn't that it switched to usb C, that's awesome...my issue is that it doesn't come with the ethernet port like the ultra does, and it doesn't natively run Stadia till next year.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just played Stadia for the first time. I bought Super Bomberman as like a trial run.

It worked really well. I didn't notice any lag at all in my inputs, though obviously there must be some there. But I'm not a pro enough gamer to notice.

I'm hoping to switch from PC to Stadia as my main gaming platform. It'll save me a ton of money, and I won't have to sit around through stupid installs anymore.

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Well, at least we have some good news today with the new experimental Tandem Mode. With this mode you can use other controllers in the wireless mode, giving as well an option to use Xbox Adaptative Controller.

Basically, you connect your controller to the Stadia controller while it is connected via the wireless mode. Now your controller can play in that way too.

That's good for both accessibility and giving more options to play wirelessly on Chromecast.

The link has a good FAQ, but two things to notice is that you can only plug on controller per stadia controller, and your plugged and stadia controller act as one.

D_Reynholm

Mar 18, 2020
Stadia worked great for me last night, Destiny 2 and PUBG ran fine for the most part. I tend to play a small number of games (ESO has caught my eye for one) so the smaller library isn't a huge issue. My question / concern is: what are the odds' Google will drop this and the library we paid for is gone? It's the only issue for me, they have a track record for this type of thing and gaming is not their core (unlike Nvidia say).

coughlanio

Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
Stadia worked great for me last night, Destiny 2 and PUBG ran fine for the most part. I tend to play a small number of games (ESO has caught my eye for one) so the smaller library isn't a huge issue. My question / concern is: what are the odds' Google will drop this and the library we paid for is gone? It's the only issue for me, they have a track record for this type of thing and gaming is not their core (unlike Nvidia say).

I've divested myself of Stadia (and largely Google) due to personal reasons, but I don't believe Google have removed access to content directly sold to consumers before. That's not to say it wouldn't happen, but I think it'd be unlikely for them to just remove the ability to play purchased titles without some sort of reimbursement.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
I think the pricing model was a deliberate decision by someone in Google (maybe even Phil Harrison or Jade Raymond*), to make it so the service couldn't just be shuttered on a whim like one of their messaging apps. Whoever decided on that pricing model did so with the intention of Stadia sticking around, and making it as hard as possible for Google to terminate without taking a massive PR hit.
They have said several times in marketing videos that "You pay once, and its yours to own forever" (I think they used 'forever', or a word very much like it), so they have doubled-down on this promise a few times.

If Stadia really is a massive flop, it may get re-branded down the line and re-launched first. It wouldn't be the first time, and Google tends to merge and consolidate its apps more than it actually 'kills' them.

At the very very worst, I'd expect a full years notice (maybe longer) of them shuttering the service, to give gamers time to finish everything off, and possibly some compensation added on top.

*Pure wild speculation backed up by zero facts

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Stadia support won't be coming to the new Chromecast until H1 2021. That's not good.

And it looks like it will have to be wireless only as they have dropped the ethernet. It better be wifi 6.
Nope, just checked and its not HDMI 2.1 and Wifi 5 only. I get this is mainly for streaming media (movies/ music), but google is also trying to push gaming on the big screen, this is not the device for it. Hopefully they open official android tv support soon for other devices

Last edited:

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
I mean, they mostly replace things than kill them. Going by the "killed by Google" site, the things they recently killed:
- AngularJS was replaced by Angular, and it was a thing with more than 2 years for developers to transition;
- AppMaker was replaced by AppSheet, company acquisition that had a better solution;
- Google Play Music was replaced by YouTube Music;
- Google Cloud Print was really killed, but, allegedly, they said many of its features are on Chrome OS;
- Hire by Google was replaced by Google Careers;
- Password Checkup extension is done by the Chrome browser;

I say that because, if something in the same veins will happen to Stadia, it is probably a business model change, rather than they killing it. Like they making it available to download some games that don't take advantage of the cloud, or with those cloud features locked. Or add a similar subscription model as Amazon or Xbox.

Edit: TL;DR: I don't believe they will drop it, because gaming is a billion dollar market and even with a piece of it, it is still big money. And their history is more of replacing/adapting than truly killing something.

D_Reynholm

Mar 18, 2020
I think the pricing model was a deliberate decision by someone in Google (maybe even Phil Harrison or Jade Raymond*), to make it so the service couldn't just be shuttered on a whim like one of their messaging apps. Whoever decided on that pricing model did so with the intention of Stadia sticking around, and making it as hard as possible for Google to terminate without taking a massive PR hit.
They have said several times in marketing videos that "You pay once, and its yours to own forever" (I think they used 'forever', or a word very much like it), so they have doubled-down on this promise a few times.

If Stadia really is a massive flop, it may get re-branded down the line and re-launched first. It wouldn't be the first time, and Google tends to merge and consolidate its apps more than it actually 'kills' them.

At the very very worst, I'd expect a full years notice (maybe longer) of them shuttering the service, to give gamers time to finish everything off, and possibly some compensation added on top.

*Pure wild speculation backed up by zero facts

All reasoned assumptions, the above being particularly reassuring. It just works better for me than Geoforce Now did, but it feels like "the loser" when compared to the other services. Last question: does the ESO on Stadia use existing accounts (Steam) or logins or do you have to start over?

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
I just played Stadia for the first time. I bought Super Bomberman as like a trial run.

It worked really well. I didn't notice any lag at all in my inputs, though obviously there must be some there. But I'm not a pro enough gamer to notice.

I'm hoping to switch from PC to Stadia as my main gaming platform. It'll save me a ton of money, and I won't have to sit around through stupid installs anymore.

Welcome! Honestly Stadia has been my most played platform recently. It's super convenient to be able to come home from work, sit down, and jump into a game.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to the club compo.
There are dozens of us now. Dozens!
Welcome! Honestly Stadia has been my most played platform recently. It's super convenient to be able to come home from work, sit down, and jump into a game.

Thanks! Yeah, I like it a lot so far. The outlook is looking good that I'll stay with this service.

Back to addressing the whole thread though, I wish EA would give a release date for FIFA 21. I have a hankering to play a sports game, and I'm fighting off the urge to buy NBA 2K21 right now, just because I'm more of a soccer guy than a basketball guy. If FIFA's still a ways out, then I'd have no qualms about buying NBA to hold me over. But I don't want to buy NBA just to find out that FIFA's coming out in like 2 weeks.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019

Welcome! I do recommend the membership if you enjoy the experience stadia has to offer. It's well worth the $10 bucks a month to me.

Edit: also wanted to point out that Bomberman is one of the pro games on offer so if you've played less than a couple hours you can refund it if you get the pro membership. Do note that you can't play your pro games if you let your membership lapse so it might be worth just keeping Bomberman if youre really into it.

Deleted member 11985

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Welcome! I do recommend the membership if you enjoy the experience stadia has to offer. It's well worth the $10 bucks a month to me.

Edit: also wanted to point out that Bomberman is one of the pro games on offer so if you've played less than a couple hours you can refund it if you get the pro membership. Do note that you can't play your pro games if you let your membership lapse so it might be worth just keeping Bomberman if youre really into it.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm actually in the minority on the Pro subscription opinion, in that I prefer to just buy the few games that I know for sure I'm going to play. Like right now I'm pretty much just waiting for FIFA.

easter

Nov 15, 2017
No joke hitting up my laptop to play stadia and I don't have to worry about anything other than hitting that play button is kind of nice. Also playing in the kitchen while my wife is cooking etc is pure gold. I doubt ill leave my consoles anytime soon but stadia has been pretty awesome for me.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
So I bought Risk of Rain 2 over the weekend. I wasn't sure if I should, because it looked so basic from screenshots and videos.
Hooooo boy is it addictive! I've already spent 6 hours on it. I've not made it past level 4 because clearly I suck, but I have unlocked some robot-dude and the Huntress, whom I think is gonna be my main for a bit.

So now I'm hopping between that, AC: Odyssey (because that game DOES. NOT. END!) and Relicta.

Oh and I played through Jotun, which was ok-ish, but I'm glad I got it for 'free'.

I only wish Stadia wasn't firewalled at my workplace. My lunch break would have been perfect for another run at RoR2. Ahh well.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I have iOS devices and a Chromecast Ultra on the TV.

From what I can tell IOS is still not supported and the Chromecast doesn't work without a stadia controller?

Linik

Sep 18, 2020

From what I can tell IOS is still not supported and the Chromecast doesn't work without a stadia controller?

You need the Stadium Browser from the App Store (google for the set-up) and a supported Controller to run Stadia on iOS.

Curwen

Aug 19, 2020

Not sure about chrome support for stadia controller, but since few days ago there is an app that runs the browser version of stadia on iOS. The app is called stadium, if you google a bit you should find the post on stadia Reddit describing how it works.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
GmbgtXB.jpg
Just finished my first playthrough on Stadia. Had an absolute blast. I didn't rush my way through but I think I hit most of the side objectives and definitely spent a little time exploring. There's a ton of secrets I missed though. Overall this is a great Serious Sam game and I think the player reception has been pretty positive. Google currently has it at a 4.1 user rating, Metacritic has it at a 72 user rating, and Steam has it "Very Positive" in user reviews. Reading all the critic reviews many seemed disappointed that SS4 just didn't advance enough, had technical shortcomings, and featured a story that was nonsensical. I don't think people buy Serious Sam games for the amazing story, cutting edge graphics, nor game changing gameplay mechanics.

What it does though is have a tremendous enemy count, awesome gunplay, and a whimsical story that did make me chuckle at times. Croteam did however introduce certain things that add to the experience without messing with the core Serious Sam formula too much. The side objectives, alternate firing modes, skill tree, dual wielding, equipment, and vehicle segments all add to the gameplay without changing what a Serious Sam game is...killing alot of enemies using alot of cool weapons.

Yes it does have some technical shortcomings and it's not going to win any awards in the graphics or story department. The gunplay, music, and gameplay elements are the best it's ever been though and if you're fine with spending 40 dollars on a sizeable campaign then definitely go for it!

Last edited:

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Finally some better marketing.

Is this actually "marketing", though, in the sense that Google are actively trying to put it in front of as many eyes as possible?

It's not getting much traction on YouTube. I presume that at that length, it's not on TV (though it seems relatively edit-friendly so many they can cut smaller ads out of it and put those on TV). I haven't seen it on the internet outside of this topic. It has ~23K views and that means its probably not popping up in people's recommendations.

It's pretty much the best thing Google have made for selling Stadia, but unless I am missing something, they're not doing anything with it (at least, not yet).