• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Made some comparison screenshots of Taki in SC4 with screengrabs from SC6 trailer here: https://8wayrun.com/threads/soul-calibur-vi-general-discussion.19804/page-111#post-738869

The only thing which looks directly worse in SC6 compared to SC4 is the hair. That's one thing I hope they'll be able to address before release.

Not sure how they can short of changing engines or learning a new method of doing hair. UE4 Can't do hair very well from what I understand.

Seriously why the fuck are people bitching about the graphics. Boob poly count? Seriously? Y'all are out of your damn minds. Soul Calibur is a fast paced weapons based fighting game with 3 dimensional movement. It's not a fucking slideshow where you have time to wonder about how many polygons are in Taki's hands. So you can go ahead and sit there counting titty polygons while I guard impact the shit out of you and blast your ass with some "Demon be GONE!" type shit.

NEE HEE HEE

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Seriously why the fuck are people bitching about the graphics. Boob poly count? Seriously? Y'all are out of your damn minds. Soul Calibur is a fast paced weapons based fighting game with 3 dimensional movement. It's not a fucking slideshow where you have time to wonder about how many polygons are in Taki's hands. So you can go ahead and sit there counting titty polygons while I guard impact the shit out of you and blast your ass with some "Demon be GONE!" type shit.

Will GI cost meter again? Why the fuck did they even do that in #5?

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
Seriously why the fuck are people bitching about the graphics.
Because the Soul Calibur games often used to be the best looking games at their time at release, and it's sad to see them recycle 10 years old assets for their first game near the end of this console cycle. It reeks of low budget and it's very sad.

I really hope it will at least run at a solid 4k 60 fps on pro/x and that the loadings won't be as dreadful as they are in Tekken 6.

Nov 18, 2017
I was on the fence about getting Soul Calibur 4...then I saw Ivy.

I was on the fence about getting Soul Calibur 6, then I saw Ivy.

I switched off after Soul Calibur II, the series went downhill, which is why they're returning to their roots.
But... That doesn't include silly tits. Taki's original CGI in Soul Blade and low poly ingame model may have had an identical costume - but the emphasis wasn't on "boobs, boobs, boobs" and didn't look this grotesque. Admittedly by Soul Calibur they had taken her in that direction.

People bought Soul Edge/Blade and Soul Calibur because they were "Tekken with weapons" and critically-lauded, with SC being a big Dreamcast lauch window title. Taki appeals because she's a demon-hunter who is quick and nimble, whilst being relatively underpowered in the weapon department. The boobs detract from the character.

If you generally bought SCIV & VI because of scantily clad Ivy and you are over the age of 18, then I'm cringing for you.

Cabbagehead

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the Soul Calibur games often used to be the best looking games at their time at release, and it's sad to see them recycle 10 years old assets for their first game near the end of this console cycle. It reeks of low budget and it's very sad.

I really hope it will at least run at a solid 4k 60 fps on pro/x and that the loadings won't be as dreadful as they are in Tekken 6.
When was this a thing? because Virtual Fighter has held that crown. I don't play SC for amazing graphics but for solid controls, moves-sets, challenges, frames and the like. Not how it looks in this generation, and it looks just fine. In comparison to their last outing that's for sure.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
Not sure how they can short of changing engines or learning a new method of doing hair. UE4 Can't do hair very well from what I understand.
I forget the name, but there's a Korean game using UE4 which modified the graphics code to render hair with alpha in a very similar way as a forward rendering graphics engine. I'm just baffled Namco seemingly used the same meshes and textures and decided they were okay with the way UE4 handles alpha.

When was this a thing? because Virtual Fighter has held that crown. I don't play SC for amazing graphics but for solid controls, moves-sets, challenges, frames and the like. Not how it looks in this generation, and it looks just fine. In comparison to their last outing that's for sure.
I guess I don't know what the popular opinion was but I've always seen SC games as top of the line technically. I've been impressed by every release so far and I can remember reading articles about SC5 on how they accomplished certain effects and optimizations, and I can't think of any fighting game in the previous generation which looked better than SC5.

Last edited:

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Alt/beardless costume it is! But it's fun seeing them embrace the original aesthetic so faithfully. My Dreamcast and PS2 nostalgia is in overdrive. Really loved the first three games. I need Maxi, Cervantes, Seung Mina, and Astaroth for all to be right with the world. Really curious to see the art direction for the latter, and I'll be interested to see what they do with Voldo this time, too. I'm not expecting it, but I'd love to see Harley Quinn Tira return in her original Peter Pan costume.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I forget the name, but there's a Korean game using UE4 which modified the graphics code to render hair with alpha in a very similar way as a forward rendering graphics engine. I'm just baffled Namco seemingly used the same meshes and textures and decided they were okay with the way UE4 handles alpha.

That's pretty cool. I love it when devs go under the hood with an engine to get what they really need out of it.

But yeah, Bamco seems to have lost their edge in the graphics department. I still remember when Harada was talking about Tekken 7's graphics being something like "50% complete". We all bought it at the time, thinking they'd touch up rough stuff like hair and skin textures.

Turns out the other 50% consisted of some new outfits and a boatload of cheap post processing effects. Folks sure lapped it up though.

FluffyQuack

Nov 27, 2017
That's pretty cool. I love it when devs go under the hood with an engine to get what they really need out of it.

But yeah, Bamco seems to have lost their edge in the graphics department. I still remember when Harada was talking about Tekken 7's graphics being something like "50% complete". We all bought it at the time, thinking they'd touch up rough stuff like hair and skin textures.

Turns out the other 50% consisted of some new outfits and a boatload of cheap post processing effects. Folks sure lapped it up though.
Many programmers (including the lead programmer) who worked on SC4 and SC5 were assigned to the Pokken games. I wonder if that meant they didn't end up working on SC6 at all. That might explain SC6's lack of focus on tech.

Will GI cost meter again? Why the fuck did they even do that in #5?

I don't really know I thought it was stupid. I really enjoyed the post GI meta games and they completely removed that aspect. I don't think it's metered this time but prepare yourself for SOME kind of gimmick.

Well my point is that when the game is in motion there isn't anything to complain about. It looks incredible. I play SC for the rush I get not to count titty polygons. I guess if still frame images of high boob polygons give people that same rush then it's not the game for them? Nothing against you, I'm just speaking in general about the silly complaints in this thread.

Q_Pippin

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's with female characters in this series.
What's wrong with them ?
they're strong, memorable and also really attractive
like most of the human male chars.
yunsc4art1-jpg.4515

Raphael-Sorel-Soul-Calibur.jpg

2103180-algol_scv.jpg

z-w-e-i4.jpg

2e8f3f197d6f79b0489faa4dab50811e--game-legend-fighting-games.jpg

rocsc4art1-jpg.4099

maxresdefault.jpg

39895350941_cc3da19757_z-555x328.jpg

latest

+Voldo's outfit is just as revealing as Ivy,Takis
+Several men wearing little to no protection in a battle (Oh yeah I forgot it's a fantasy video game)
There are pretty much no average looking to ugly characters in the series (out of shape/ugly face combination) - like Bridie

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
I don't really know I thought it was stupid. I really enjoyed the post GI meta games and they completely removed that aspect. I don't think it's metered this time but prepare yourself for SOME kind of gimmick.

They over nerfed GI meta after it had become way too spammy. It was always spammy but post SC2&3 problems it clear namco wanted to address the issue but missed the mark. I don't mind GI meta games at all but some of the mechanism in early games allowed super high end players to have way too much Reward for little risk.

GI's in the eras I mentioned had little downfall considering what certain bugs allowed for in canceling the effect or taking advantage of it. Some characters had their GI counters heavily nerfed from SC1 as cervy, mitsu, and kilik are amazing differently in each SC game when these factors are considered.

There has to be a gimmick cause I don't see how this game will grow if SC2/SC3 level fanatics are dominating everyone through tech and their understanding of it. All we can do is call namco out and hope they balance but being brutally honest based on my own personal history of knowing people invovled don't expect this. SC1 balance was a result of them having a lot of time to take it from arcade and then getting SC DC version. SC2 balance comes from them having a ton of time to refine the title and giving a fuck about how players were being broke.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
What's wrong with them ?
yunsc4art1-jpg.4515

2103180-algol_scv.jpg

z-w-e-i4.jpg

rocsc4art1-jpg.4099

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

+Several men wearing little to no protection in a battle (Oh yeah I forgot it's a fantasy video game)
There are pretty much no average looking to ugly characters in the series (out of shape/ugly face combination) - like Bridie

Damn, Groh looks like such a weeb dork next to everyone else. ZWEI ain't much better, but more on the edgemaster lord side of things.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017

Whiffed GI results in damage to your guard gage or whatever it's called - it makes you easier to guard break. Other than that, it's unlimited. Which is awesome!

They over nerfed GI meta after it had become way too spammy. It was always spammy but post SC2&3 problems it clear namco wanted to address the issue but missed the mark. I don't mind GI meta games at all but some of the mechanism in early games allowed super high end players to have way too much Reward for little risk.

GI's in the eras I mentioned had little downfall considering what certain bugs allowed for in canceling the effect or taking advantage of it. Some characters had their GI counters heavily nerfed from SC1 as cervy, mitsu, and kilik are amazing differently in each SC game when these factors are considered.

Wait, if I'm reading this right, you're saying GI was too strong in SC2 and SC3? You're right that there are bugs, but the bugs make GI much worse, not much better. 2G recovery benefitted the player who got GI-ed, since it let them recover without facing the 50/50 they're supposed to. It made the risk reward for GI unfavorable to the point that it was almost not worth using.

GI has certainly never been overpowered in SC2 - SC5. I don't know about SC1, didn't play it. It's about time for GI to get its moment to shine - I hope it's super strong.

There has to be a gimmick cause I don't see how this game will grow if SC2/SC3 level fanatics are dominating everyone through tech and their understanding of it. All we can do is call namco out and hope they balance but being brutally honest based on my own personal history of knowing people invovled don't expect this. SC1 balance was a result of them having a lot of time to take it from arcade and then getting SC DC version. SC2 balance comes from them having a ton of time to refine the title and giving a fuck about how players were being broke.

They just need to make a solid game, and provide a lot of content, and it'll do fine. There's no way some gimmick will equalize the gap in player skill/knowledge, and usually when they try to do that, it ends up making the game worse. RE's actually the only thing in SC6 that worries me, and it's that kind of gimmick. Hopefully the game is just good, and that will draw the player base.

Last edited:

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Umm... plate armor that exists for accentuating her upper body form factor, skin tight clothing, makeup + hair stylized to look as attractive as possible, among other things.

This is an example of a female Shinobi from For Honor with no sexualization:

s50fo8cwfwyy.png
The problem is that this is literally "a female shinobi". Nobody would recognize Taki like this. This isn't a fighting game character that existed for over two decades with a recognizable design, sexualized or not.
It's gotten worse with each iteration and now it's like some stubborn principle with Japanese fighting game devs.

They treat their female characters like it's a Carry On film. Balloon tits everywhere. It's just utterly shite design. Immature games for teenage boys.
But Taki doesn't have "balloon tits"? In fact they appear to have gotten smaller, as well as all that huggling being toned down? At least that's what I have read so far.
I don't see how anything with this design has gotten worse than before.

Last edited:

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Cammy, Menat, Laura, Mika and Chun's costumes in SFV, I find it silly for SF fans to try to take any sort of the high ground.

Jan 11, 2018

Not really a good comparison when he's about as attractive as Ooze Rachel.

There have certainly been moments throughout the series when male characters have been showing some skin, but if we're gonna talk specifically about SCVI then pretty much all of them except Kilik are wearing heavy armour or are completely covered up in some way (all the more to break off, but that's not their default designs) whereas most female characters are already showing quite a bit of skin (some more than others) before any armour break damage. We've got plenty of character reveals left, but I really hope things will start balance themselves out soon.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
What's wrong with them ?
yunsc4art1-jpg.4515

2103180-algol_scv.jpg

z-w-e-i4.jpg

rocsc4art1-jpg.4099

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

This post reminds me how studly Soul Calibur's male cast is. Namco, announce more dudes!

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, if I'm reading this right, you're saying GI was too strong in SC2 and SC3? You're right that there are bugs, but the bugs make GI much worse, not much better. 2G recovery benefitted the player who got GI-ed, since it let them recover without facing the 50/50 they're supposed to. It made the risk reward for GI unfavorable to the point that it was almost not worth using.

GI has certainly never been overpowered in SC2 - SC5. I don't know about SC1, didn't play it.

Little risk for high reward doesn't mean a move is OP as that imlpies there is little to do to stop which is not true one bit. These terms can be mutually exclusive.

Not only that just reread your words in your 3 senetence and realize namco never wanted a 50/50 when you got GI'ed The person being GI'ed is suppose to have a slight disadvantage for a moment and saying 50/50 isn't true considering that a player isn't suppose to be able to block or literally make move whiffs through being GI'ed using a glitch to do so thus totally negating what namco wanted. You're literally highlighting the reason they made the change. My situation isn't merely for a Post GI but the tons of spamming a player could do in long distance situation to discourage moves. The entire of meter GI in 5 was to prevent those situations. Namco has no issue with you doing a few GI's if you start using them with no thought it just needlessly slows down the game imo.

SC4 and SC5 are perfect examples of namco's dumb thinking going wrong. Seriously they nerfed the command list even more in SC4 because even with what SC2 did they felt that was too much. Just think about the stupidity of that design decision vs just making the game more accessible or how it works.

We both know SC6 has a different implementation so I'm already a million times happier we don't get the flaws of a SC5 or SC2 GI system.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that this is literally "a female shinobi". Nobody would recognize Taki like this. This isn't a fighting game character that existed for over two decades with a recognizable design, sexualized or not.

But Taki doesn't have "balloon tits"? In fact they appear to have gotten smaller, as well as all that huggling being toned down? At least that's what I have read so far.
I don't see how anything with this design has gotten worse than before.

First of all, I never said Taki should have that For Honor outfit, I was just giving an example of what a non sexualized female ninja looks like to the poster I was replying to.

Second, no a "recognizable" design does not excuse blatant objectification. If NRS can redesign their misogynistic female character designs from MK9 to what we got in MKX then so can Namco.

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
They just need to make a solid game, and provide a lot of content, and it'll do fine. There's no way some gimmick will equalize the gap in player skill/knowledge, and usually when they try to do that, it ends up making the game worse. RE's actually the only thing in SC6 that worries me, and it's that kind of gimmick. Hopefully the game is just good, and that will draw the player base.
Anything that'd actually equalize veterans and newcomers would mean that every game would be a coin flip every match. There would be no reason to ever play it if it came to that.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Little risk for high reward doesn't mean a move is OP as that imlpies there is little to do to stop which is not true one bit. These terms can be mutually exclusive.

Not only that just reread your words in your 3 senetence and realize namco never wanted a 50/50 when you got GI'ed The person being GI'ed is suppose to have a slight disadvantage for a moment and saying 50/50 isn't true considering that a player isn't suppose to be able to block or literally make move whiffs through being GI'ed using a glitch to do so thus totally negating what namco wanted. You're literally highlighting the reason they made the change. My situation isn't merely for a Post GI but the tons of spamming a player could do in long distance situation to discourage moves. The entire of meter GI in 5 was to prevent those situations. Namco has no issue with you doing a few GI's if you start using them with no thought it just needlessly slows down the game imo.

SC4 and SC5 are perfect examples of namco's dumb thinking going wrong. Seriously they nerfed the command list even more in SC4 because even with what SC2 did they felt that was too much. Just think about the stupidity of that design decision vs just making the game more accessible or how it works.

We both know SC6 has a different implementation so I'm already a million times happier we don't get the flaws of a SC5 or SC2 GI system.

Yeah I just disagree with your whole premise that GI was ever low risk or spammable. Whiffed GI means you eat a launcher - that means it's high risk. It's also why I'm not worried about SC6 GI being OP. Yeah, it GIs all levels, but you still risk eating a launcher for just advantage, not even guaranteed damage.

Anyway, we're agreed that SC6 GI looks awesome.

Anything that'd actually equalize veterans and newcomers would mean that every game would be a coin flip every match. There would be no reason to ever play it if it came to that.

Agreed, it's a bad design ideal. I'm all for looking for ways to ease learning curve by looking at unnecessarily hard execution or removing archaic systems, but forcing in systems to try to equalize results is bad. It never works, and results in terrible ideas like tripping. RE had the potential to be that kind of terrible idea, so I'm happy that early feedback is it's not that bad.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Some of ya'll want to complain about Taki, but then bring up Chun-Li as a counterpoint despite Chun literally having a sleepwear costume. Oh Lordy

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Some of ya'll want to complain about Taki, but then bring up Chun-Li as a counterpoint despite Chun literally having a sleepwear costume. Oh Lordy
I think it's more the point that it's not her "default" design.

It's like saying Samus is a bad counterpoint because she had an alternate bikini outfit once. While true, it's not really the standard look for her.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I just disagree with your whole premise that GI was ever low risk or spammable. Whiffed GI means you eat a launcher - that means it's high risk. It's also why I'm not worried about SC6 GI being OP. Yeah, it GIs all levels, but you still risk eating a launcher for just advantage, not even guaranteed damage.

Whiffed GI doesn't mean anything you can literally whiff one at a mid distance and then just side step you, you're assuming that say someone of a top tier level isn't baiting you. Remember this is early SC where sidestep was so abuseable horizontals sometimes wouldn't even catch your sidestep. I know you remember step gaurd so it's not like you can just come in and hit us. There is a reason the tech I mention in the game doesn't exist to any degree in SC4-6 as it does in SC1-3. If you ever get a shot at some high up and there are older versions laying around just ask them they will have no problem in a match showing it off.

Kageh
Fetz
Floe
Mick

Each could do what I mentioned well and if you ever went in on them thinking a whiff was your advantage each one was so good with taki, ivy, cervy, or sophitia you would get wrecked if your timing for punishing them wasn't perfect.

Anyway, we're agreed that SC6 GI looks awesome.

Straight money so far.

Agreed, it's a bad design ideal. I'm all for looking for ways to ease learning curve by looking at unnecessarily hard execution or removing archaic systems, but forcing in systems to try to equalize results is bad. It never works, and results in terrible ideas like tripping. RE had the potential to be that kind of terrible idea, so I'm happy that early feedback is it's not that bad.

Namco isn't trying any gimmicks in this one so I just hope hits are solid and connect as they should. Hope there are no glitches worthy of 2g/VCC or anything like Hilde or that souped up boss. Don't bug me anything bad will get banned at worthy tourneys.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's more the point that it's not her "default" design.

It's like saying Samus is a bad counterpoint because she had an alternate bikini outfit once. While true, it's not really the standard look for her.

Chun's default costume is already pretty skin tight on its own (and we won't even get into her alternative Battle Costume), and her other costumes comes up only to show a state of mind for Capcom in terms of their intentions.

As for Samus, saying she had it "once" is a bit of an understatement, as suit less Samus was full on bikini for almost a decade, went to gym shorts and top if not Zero Suit for another decade. But Samus is also in one ton power armor for 98% of the time, so she doesn't really apply in this subject.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Whiffed GI doesn't mean anything you can literally whiff one at a mid distance and then just side step you, you're assuming that say someone of a top tier level isn't baiting you. Remember this is early SC where sidestep was so abuseable horizontals sometimes wouldn't even catch your sidestep. I know you remember step gaurd so it's not like you can just come in and hit us. There is a reason the tech I mention in the game doesn't exist to any degree in SC4-6 as it does in SC1-3. If you ever get a shot at some high up and there are older versions laying around just ask them they will have no problem in a match showing it off.

Kageh
Fetz
Floe
Mick

Each could do what I mentioned well and if you ever went in on them thinking a whiff was your advantage each one was so good with taki, ivy, cervy, or sophitia you would get wrecked if your timing for punishing them wasn't perfect.

I'm looking forward to the Soul Calibur OT so I can just argue with you all day and not feel like it's derailing. I do worry it'll hurt my productivity, though!

I'll just say, I could go hard on the name drops as well, and I don't remember anyone ever using whiffed GIs in the neutral game as some sort of deliberate strategy. But I'm old, so maybe it's amnesia, heh.