• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It does hurt Disney more because now Disney can't even work on anything Spider-Man related, and Spider-Man is more relevant than any other superhero in the MCU right now. Imagine how that feels, and all you care about is them making billions like you work for them. Of course Disney got Spider-Man to make a billion, but what's it for if they got greedy and lost Spider-Man lol? Does that answer your question? Sony ain't hurting at all.

What do you base this on?

Because given the stable of Marvel characters and how many of their respective films have made a billion or more, it seems like a ludicrous assumption.

You really think Far From Home being the highest grossing Spider-Man film in history has nothing to do with it also being an MCU film?

Really?

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It does hurt Disney more because now Disney can't even work on anything Spider-Man related, and Spider-Man is more relevant than any other superhero in the MCU right now. Imagine how that feels, and all you care about is them making billions like you work for them. Of course Disney got Spider-Man to make a billion, but what's it for if they got greedy and lost Spider-Man lol? Does that answer your question? Sony ain't hurting at all.

"Stop defending Disney like they give you their money."

"I defend Sony for free, that's how good they are!"

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Stop defending Disney like they give you their money."

"I defend Sony for free, that's how good they are!"
I don't really think Sony needs defending. I thought Venom was a garbage movie, which brings me to my point that just because a movie makes a ton of money doesn't mean it's good. Just something I've noticed on this forum that a lot of posters are obsessed with the money Disney makes. Why?

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Into the Spider-Verse is better than all the MCU put together and doesn't involve lionizing a billionaire war criminal.

Spideman is in a better place not being involved with it.

LMAO, "war criminal lionizing". You've gone off the deep end.

And Sony has made bad Spider-Man movies before, like Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2, & Venom.

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People seem to forget that filmic Spider-Man was on the decline after The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Sony was basically getting ready to reboot again when Disney/Marvel approached them about making him a part of the MCU.

Clearly both parties benefitted from this partnership but the notion that Disney needs Spidey more than Sony needs the MCU is absolutely ridiculous.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sony's part to think that they can replicate Kevin's penchant for telling incredible stories and the amazing success he has had over the years. I think it's a big mistake.

oh is that why they split up? sony just woke up one day and decided feige was a punk? interesting

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How often to MCU fans go into spiderverse threads to loudly proclaim how it sucks, and every mcu film, even the incredibly hulk, is infinitely better than spider-verse, the way spider-verse fans are wont to do in EVERY GODDAMN THREAD about spiderman.
Sony and Disney drama draws all crowds of Spider-Man fans. When one side declares Sony screws up because Marvel makes the best Spider-Man films then there is backlash. MCU fans never really did any of that in Spider-Verse OT threads because, well, c'mon, even they cannot deny its quality. FFH still draws in the Spider-Verse crowd because it's a Spider-Man film. When a fandom starts saying the things they fan over are the best, it's going to draw contention. I think this is the hubris of the MCU fandom where everything else isn't as good and that is at odds with the film world in general.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Sony and Disney drama draws all crowds of Spider-Man fans. When one side declares Sony screws up because Marvel makes the best Spider-Man films then there is backlash. MCU fans never really did any of that in Spider-Verse OT threads because, well, c'mon, even they cannot deny its quality. FFH still draws in the Spider-Verse crowd because it's a Spider-Man film. When a fandom starts saying the things they fan over are the best, it's going to draw contention. I think this is the hubris of the MCU fandom where everything else isn't as good and that is at odds with the film world in general.

So, what you're saying is that MCU fans didn't go in to spiderverse threads to scream about how great the MCU films are, while spiderverse fans loudly screech about how great it is in every thread about spiderman. Hmm.....now, why do I think spiderverse fans are insecure. it's a complete mystery....

Dec 12, 2017
People seem to forget that filmic Spider-Man was on the decline after The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Sony was basically getting ready to reboot again when Disney/Marvel approached them about making him a part of the MCU.

Clearly both parties benefitted from this partnership but the notion that Disney needs Spidey more than Sony needs the MCU is absolutely ridiculous.
Calling it now: Eternals and Shang Chi will both hit a billion and make more than FFH.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, what you're saying is that MCU fans didn't go in to spiderverse threads to scream about how great the MCU films are, while spiderverse fans loudly screech about how great it is in every thread about spiderman. Hmm.....now, why do I think spiderverse fans are insecure. it's a complete mystery....
I don't think even the MCU fandom can create an argument for why Spiderverse is bad Spider-Man movie or a bad movie in general. See, this is where you're blinded: you think the MCU fandom does zero wrong in how their approach voicing their supporting / critical reviews of the MCU films. Imagine if a professional reviewer said, hmm, that Aliens 3 is actually the best of the series. Do you think there would be zero contention with that? Probably not. The point is how you vocalize your impression of a film can be a point of contention especially if you declare it as the best. First look Twitter impressions, IMO, have fueled this a lot.

OP
OP
BringBackSonics
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
final_5d7d92a150069300149396a3_733394.jpg

That's good

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy seeing people hold up Into the Spider-verse as proof that Sony won't fuck up the Spider-Man franchise when shit like Venom literally came out in the same time frame.

I don't quite get the tribalism, myself, but I also don't get why people are so eager to see a return to Sony-produced Spiderman movies. There's been six, eight if you include Into the Spiderverse and Venom, and not even half of them are even any good.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The tragic mistake was Disneys greed.

Nobody in their right mind would agree to 50% if you have ownership.

Firstly, they don't own the character. They own the film rights.

Secondly, Disney was going to split production and advertising costs with them AND keep the character in the MCU, which is the most profitable film franchise in history. Even if Sony had lost some of the profits on Spider-Man, they could and should have pushed to make the rest of their Marvel films MCU cannon, which would have been a lucrative proposition.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
oh is that why they split up? sony just woke up one day and decided feige was a punk? interesting
There was an article from one of the major news sites iirc that claimed Rothman felt they'd learned everything they could on how to make good movies from Feige and the MCU, so in a sense yeah, that seemed to partially be the reason. Especially after Venom's box office take probably emboldened them.

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Sony will probably fuck it up, but how can you blame them? the terms disney wanted were ludicrous

Oct 27, 2017
Again, Sony fucked up here because they assumed – erroneously – that they can replicate MCU Spider-Man's success, which is highly unlikely. The MCU is a powerful brand and now that they are no longer working in tandem, Disney/Marvel has every reason to make certain the public knows that the next Sony Spider-Man isn't part of their stable.

Also, people conveniently forget that Disney didn't just ask for 50% of the profits, they also offered to front 50% of the production budget, which means a healthier bottom line for Sony. Even if this deal means they make less on Spider-Man, there was the potential to bring their other Marvel films into the MCU.

There's a long-game here that Sony continues to suck at. (FYI, books have been written at just how bad Sony is at this game)

This isn't about which franchise you like more, this is about the reality of the film industry as it exists today and Disney's grip on that market, which makes the MCU something they can and rightfully should tax a studio for latching onto. Far From Home is Sony's biggest hit of all time and that has everything to do with it's proximity to the MCU and realistically, even films like Venom and Into the Spider-Verse have enjoyed their success in part because of the comic book film zeitgeist perpetuated by the MCU.

Sony had the enviable opportunity of being a part of the most profitable film franchise in history and they blew it.
Another blind and stupid take. Monopoly is never good for the end consumer.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony should have said, "Give 50% of the merchandise too considering the films will boost sales."

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Did you forget how Spider Man: Far From Home, was about how Peter had to inherit the legacy of Billionaire War Criminal and his Drone Strike Glasses and how that's totally a good thing he needed to have.
You're not entirely wrong, it's kinda strange how the whole commentary of Winter Solider is how wrong it was to have the technology to eliminate anyone from anywhere on earth decided by the few, by the point of FFH though? Fuck all of that! A teenager deserves the responsibility!

Still love the movie, but it's a legitimate concern given how preachy Cap america was about it.

Dec 12, 2017
It honestly wouldn't surprise me at this point.

The MCU is the brand and people are flocking to it, even when the characters are relative unknowns.
On further thought, seeing as Black Widow is a prequel happening after the events of Civil War, it would not surprise me to see Captain America in that film in a small supporting role...that one could get close to $1B too.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There was an article from one of the major news sites iirc that claimed Rothman felt they'd learned everything they could on how to make good movies from Feige and the MCU, so in a sense yeah, that seemed to partially be the reason. Especially after Venom's box office take probably emboldened them.

oh lmao, welp

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought Venom was a garbage movie, which brings me to my point that just because a movie makes a ton a money doesn't mean it's good
But some people like it. Probably was good to them. Or at least that amazing Eminem chorus :v
I mean, you can also do the "But Transformers" example, but that showed that there is a diminishing returns effect when audiences aren't happy with a series progression. MCU has already proved itself beyond that. It's not hate-watching or morbid curiosity what got Black Panther and Captain Marvel, a bunch of nobodies some months ago, a +1B start at the BO. There is something that keeps attracting people to see those films.

So going back to Venom. Honestly, Tom Hardy made that film enjoyable. So now the questions are, can they sustain a movie franchise based on that charisma alone when now they need to move forward the story? A sequel even? How is Sony going to translate the same lighting-in-a-bottle for the other Spidey's supporting characters going solo? How long is Hardy gonna stick around for Sony? Are they be able to lose Venom as a character someday or instead Bond'ed it? Then, audiences are gonna stick around for the change or not? Can they keep the level of interest and profits from the first one, or even raise them? Etc., etc.
And for fans of the character is: Is the type of film Venom was the kind we want Spider-Man to be in?

It's a big loss for Sony for the unknown factor of how much (and how well) they can keep the franchise running.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
And yet, both Black Panther and Captain Marvel have made more money than the "most relevant superhero". What are you even saying here?
Yeah, this hurts Sony more in the long Run. Sony have shown they're incapable of making a hit like Marvel. Marvels future lineup is filled with new characters for this very specific reason as well anyone who thinks it's a lineup full of nobodies therefore Disney is in a worse position is just ignoring reality when they're in a far comfortable position not being reliant on a single character to produce a hit. Spider-verse was a great film but couldn't even beat Ant-man and wasp in the box office so Sony are stuck in a position where they produce bad live actions or high quality animated films that don't perform well in box office.

I mean, without spider-man it also means MCU can focus their attention on other characters and universe as well. Remember films that got delayed because of Spider-man's new entrance as well so now, that resources are now diverted to films they 100% control.

But again, There's absolutely no reason why MCU spider-man and Spider-verse couldn't co-exist either so this mention of quality of one over the other doesn't even make sense because the deals aren't even about their animated film but live-action.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Disney tried to change the deal, not Sony. I don't understand why they're being blamed

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Over the course of three movies (Spiderman 3, ASM1, and ASM2), Sony burned up all of the goodwill Sam Raimi had built up for them.

Kevin Feige apparently made the first Sony deal very one-sided in Sony's favor in order to make the deal happen, to show what Marvel Studios could do for Sony. Feige used Sony's money to make two MCU Spidey movies for Sony and gave Sony all the profits (in exchange for cameo appearances, which didn't have much value for Disney but really helped to sell the illusion), and put Spiderman back on top.

AND Sony was still able to do their own thing and make movies like Into the Spiderverse (which is great), while loaning Tom Holland to the MCU.

And then Disney asked to be made an equal partner on the MCU Spiderman films, instead of just handing Sony $1 billion movies (aka the largest movie Sony has ever seen) for free. 50% risk, 50% reward. Yeah, Sony's only getting half the profits, but they're only putting up half the money. And Disney supposedly offered to increase the flow of movies to make up the difference. That's diversification, and it means good business.

Sony could have countered by asking for a piece of the boosted merchandise sales (since Disney seems to be winning more than Sony in a straight 50/50 deal), or asked for a percentage of the box office from the MCU movies that include Spiderman cameos, but something like the "50% merch sales" that people tossed around is groundless and ridiculous. Unless Sony has something they can offer Disney on the merch side of things (Sony clearly doesn't).

Sony made a bad move by letting this deal die, and it doesn't really affect Disney, because Disney doesn't need Spiderman (it's just the fans and Kevin Feige who want him). But this is the second time Sony has killed a good thing they had going with Spiderman, so it's not surprising. The real surprise is Sony fans insisting that there's no way Sony will fuck Spiderman up a third time.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, at the end the new deal would screw Sony, anyone that would have taken that deal is an idiot

Last edited:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well with a degree in Economics and Finance, I think I know what I'm talking about when it come to a Monopoly, not sure about you though.

Disney having control over an IP that was originally part of the Marvel franchise doesn't constitute a monopoly, nor does anything else in regards to what's going on over at Disney currently.

But by all means, if I'm wrong educate me and explain how any of this constitutes a monopoly on Disney's end.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I don't really think Sony needs defending. I thought Venom was a garbage movie, which brings me to my point that just because a movie makes a ton of money doesn't mean it's good. Just something I've noticed on this forum that a lot of posters are obsessed with the money Disney makes. Why?

You are making this up in your head. No one said, "they make money so they are good!"

A business decision is what took him out the MCU. Two companies refused to compromise on the financial side of things, so yes, it makes sense for money to be discussed.

What's funny is that I don't think I know many MCU fans that hate Spider-Verse. It's literally people who hate the MCU who use it as some kind of crutch in every discussion regarding this. They tend to leave out the fact that Spider-Verse 2 would not be affected by this, like, at all. They also leave out that it was an animated film that Sony BARELY advertised outside of a Post Malone and Swae Lee music video, while they pumped a ton of money trying to push Venom and treated it like a blockbuster.

If someone doesn't like MCU movies feeling homogenous and want a different Spider-Man, cool, state that. But what is the point of coming at people using Spider-Verse in bad faith? It doesn't fool anyone. Just say you don't want the MCU to have Spider-Man.

If I had to add one thing. It is pretty foolish of Disney to ask for 20% or 50% (not even sure what it really was) of the cut when THEY KNOW Sony could easily just make a Spidey film of any quality and make more than that. Even if they put money towards the production Sony is still going to do what benefits them financially and Spider-Man is all they have when it comes to a guaranteed money maker.

Although, there was a chance that the pie would've gotten bigger with whatever plans they may have had for the Wallcrawler in the MCU. Sony did what is best to them financially speaking, as a business. So yeah, the money FFH made is gonna be talked about.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Into the Spider-Verse is better than all the MCU put together and doesn't involve lionizing a billionaire war criminal.

Spideman is in a better place not being involved with it.

One of the most nonsensical takes on this yet.

Into the Spider-Verse existed alongside the MCU and Spidey in the MCU. The last four live action Spider-Man movies from just Sony were either mediocre (ASM) or complete garbage fires (SM3, ASM2, Venom).

Saying he is now in a "better place" has no basis in reality other than bitterness toward the MCU.

Oct 31, 2017
This was a fun thread to read. More Spider-man threads please.

Disney could buy the rights back. It's not like they can't afford it.

The rights are worth a lot more to Sony (the seller) than to Disney (the buyer). If the situations were reversed and the rights were worth more to Disney they would have bought it already.

Yeah, everybody knows that part. But there's got to be some kind of "what if" clause in there somewhere that prevents Marvel from just tearing up the contract and paying some kind of fine or something. Whatever that part is, it's got to be an incredible penalty for Disney to not just say "fuck it" and pull the trigger.

https://wikileaks.org/sony/docs/07/junderwood/1 Corp Dev/Spiderman/Executive Summary of All Deal Points/Executive Summary %28Creative%29.pdf

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Disney tried to change the deal, not Sony. I don't understand why they're being blamed

People like Spidey in the MCU. People don't really care which multi-billion dollar company is in the wrong, they want something they enjoyed to continue.

Sony is in a tough spot. They reboot spider-man again, and some fans will be annoyed that they're losing out on Tom Holland in the MCU. Sony has also had a rocky history with live-action Spider-Man, and the MCU has given us two enjoyable films. I think Disney knew that they would win the court of public opinion, and know that Sony is going to have a tough time trying to put Spider-Man back in the bottle now that he's played in the MCU.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Disney greedy af. If they wanted Spider-Man to continue into the MCU then they would've brought a better deal to the table. Sony made the right choice.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a half-and-half situation business-wise.
They had to negotiate a new deal either way, the old one was up.

Ok, so the deal expired but this still means that it was Disney who made new demands. To frame it as "Sony chose to take Spiderman out of the mcu" feels kind of wrong.
Because it's Sony who didn't push further for a better deal (for them). They went full Tom Rothman with what they got right now, and it's gonna be a loss for them in the long run.

Disney wanted a bigger cut and didn't get it, but they don't have reason to bargain more for a character that is a money and resources drain for them.

Spider-Man with Marvel Studios gave Sony great dividends. That's undeniable. I really doubt they will reach the same heights now by themselves. They were the ones that should have kept the discussions alive.

They really "chose to take Spiderman out of the MCU" without a second thought because they are literally betting on a Venom crossover.