ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
He didn't have to just put out one tweet, he could write an article and link it, or write a thread like other people did and has been shared in this topic. He chose which things to mention and how much detail to give.

Astronomically high projections that get revised when the circumstances change to still remain the best year of hardware sales ever is indicative of a strong business not quite booming as much as was hoped previously. It was missed by less than 1% too. Not to mention that for the year, hardware sales did grow strongly.

If you honestly think these are negative results then sorry, that's just not living in reality.

Is your assessment of 18M for FY2024 positive, too? Just curious.

MrYK

May 10, 2022
Context he omitted:
Original forecast was 24 million. It missed the original target by 3 million.

It was 25m, then 21m. They reached 20.8m, missing by just 200k units. This isn't doom and gloom.
They expect a decline in hardware sales for FY2024, which could widen the gap between PS4 and PS5, but then again, they're expecting major releases from PS Studios in FY25/FY26, not to forget GTA6.

Tony72495

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I don't think that's technically possible this time around? I'd have thought that we'd be getting more base storage by now though, increase value a bit but... nothing?

Seemingly it's not possible, that's why they raised the digital model to $449 because at $399 they were barely making anything and the BOM hasn't come down in the last 3 years.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that's technically possible this time around? I'd have thought that we'd be getting more base storage by now though, increase value a bit but... nothing?
They don't sell at a loss though, they've been making money on console units months after launch, and there have been various iterations since then that must have decreased the cost of manufacturing. So i don't see what's standing in the way for the latest model of PS5.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
Target missed by less than 1%. Idk how corporate views these things but I'd assume they aren't necessarily freaking out about that. I mean they were RIGHT there.

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Seemingly it's not possible, that's why they raised the digital model to $449 because at $399 they were barely making anything and the BOM hasn't come down in the last 3 years.
Where are the receipts on this? I know the processor has changed process nodes but what else? And it not being possible because Sony isn't doing it isn't exactly a convincing argument, they might just want to make as much money as long as they can get away with it.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
I mean it says being up was more less solely on the success of Q1 and early Q2. The rest of the year wasn't up. Furthermore, PS5 is now once again behind PS4 by 2million. The gap between PS4 and PS5 grew in Q3/Q4

Except the Q4 revenue and operating income are all up against Q4 the prior year. It's behind by less than 1 million, it would be 2 million next year if the 18 million projection is met exactly though.

Is your assessment of 18M for FY2024 positive, too? Just curious.
Yes, for a console this far into its life cycle that has not had a price cut and even saw price increases. It keeps it on track to comfortably break 100 million. If price reductions are possible down the line and GTA6 has a significant impact, I would think the subsequent decline would be slower than for PS4 too.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
They don't sell at a loss though, they've been making money on console units months after launch, and there have been various iterations since then that must have decreased the cost of manufacturing. So i don't see what's standing in the way for the latest model of PS5.
That might not actually be the case, someone pointed out in their forecast for the next year they cite decrease in hardware loses due to lower unit sales as a positive.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Im sure Sony isnt worried with GTA around the corner. That game will single handedly change the industry

I dont even think there's a relevant platform for GTA besides PS5? The reach across age demographics must be insane for GTA. Modern GTA Online fans to older gamers who played the PS2 games

Im expecting it to change the sales trajectory
I think the same. The release of GTA6 is going to be a worldwide phenomenon. I know quite a few people who just wait for this game to upgrade.

The gen is far from over.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Looked at the Wrong number 900k 59.3 vs 60.2. Still that's almost a million difference and PS5 is projected to decline faster. Last year was the best chance to make up the gap.
PS5 is also projected to go on longer (probably 8 years as the main system vs 7) so don't think they are worried much by that. Biggest issue is the longer they can't cut the price the bigger that gap will grow (GTA 6 will help, but only so much if the console is still 500+), if PS5 is only single digit millions behind PS4 going into 2028 I think it will over take it.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Target missed by less than 1%. Idk how corporate views these things but I'd assume they aren't necessarily freaking out about that. I mean they were RIGHT there.

Well the stock hasn't taken a steep drop yet (like last FY report); its even up right now, so seems their ok with it. Granted its still early in the day.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Looked at the Wrong number 900k 59.3 vs 60.2. Still that's almost a million difference and PS5 is projected to decline faster. Last year was the best chance to make up the gap.

I think because of COVID and how this gen started, the trajectory of the standard console is going to be a bit wonky. The supply issues made the start slower and then it got an explosion last year due to supply relief. There is going to be declines that will slow down the pace of PS5 compared to PS4, but it may catch up when actual price cuts start to happen or other software hits (GTA6, more exclusives from studios like Naughty Dog). Plus the PS5 successor potentially arriving a year later may also make up the remaining gap. Which isn't to say great, but just to say there's a lot of different factors out there, it's not a simple mirror of the PS4.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
I think the same. The release of GTA6 is going to be a worldwide phenomenon. I know quite a few people who just wait for this game to upgrade.

The gen is far from over.

It's not going to change the trajectory of console sales. Sony will know better than anyone how a GTA launch with co marketing will affect sales and they are still predicting a YoY decrease in units to 18 million

This is just the natural console cycle, peakiing in year 4 isn't unusual

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
It's not going to change the trajectory of console sales. Sony will know better than anyone how a GTA launch with co marketing will affect sales and they are still predicting a YoY decrease in units to 18 million

tbf GTA 6 isn't releasing by March 2025.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
But by all means release a more expensive PS5 pro, when price is the issue

The mid gen consoles are aimed more at enthusiasts where price is typically less of an issue. Plenty of people on here are getting a PS5 pro and cost (unless it is just outrageous) won't keep them from doing so.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023

That is only on the basis that GTA6 is out before 31 March 2025, and all we have officially is that it's planned for 2025. I doubt Sony know when it's coming with any degree of certainty, I'd be very surprised if that's been factored in for the forecast.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I think because of COVID and how this gen started, the trajectory of the standard console is going to be a bit wonky. The supply issues made the start slower and then it got an explosion last year due to supply relief. There is going to be declines that will slow down the pace of PS5 compared to PS4, but it may catch up when actual price cuts start to happen or other software hits (GTA6, more exclusives from studios like Naughty Dog). Plus the PS5 successor potentially arriving a year later may also make up the remaining gap. Which isn't to say great, but just to say there's a lot of different factors out there, it's not a simple mirror of the PS4.
I mean if they hit their projections. The gap grows to 2mil by end of the fiscal year. Further, I'm not sure GTA6 will be a massive boost as I imagine most GTA gamers have moved over at this point in the console life.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

No guarantee GTA 6 actually releasing this FY, marketing will for sure ramp up though, which could have a decent impact for the people still just playing the CoDs, FIFAs and Fortnites on PS4/XB1.

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017

It's that the longtime model of Sony's primary division is hitting a ceiling gen over gen in terms of its ability to grow in number of users to monetize.

The fact that it has staying power amidst all the challenges and external factors is a strength and a testament to the brand, but it's not a significant growth vehicle to attract more players to monetize. Something has to change and I believe Sony has options to explore in terms of expanding their reach beyond their console.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if they hit their projections. The gap grows to 2mil by end of the fiscal year. Further, I'm not sure GTA6 will be a massive boost as I imagine most GTA gamers have moved over at this point in the console life.

Sure, that's a possibility too though I think GTA is truly big enough that there's still a number of people out there who'd get caught up in the zeitgeist but don't have a console yet. But the point is a number of factors are different and some may soften the declines and others may accelerate them.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
He didn't have to just put out one tweet, he could write an article and link it, or write a thread like other people did and has been shared in this topic. He chose which things to mention and how much detail to give.

Astronomically high projections that get revised when the circumstances change to still remain the best year of hardware sales ever is indicative of a strong business not quite booming as much as was hoped previously. It was missed by less than 1% too. Not to mention that for the year, hardware sales did grow strongly.

If you honestly think these are negative results then sorry, that's just not living in reality.

Agreed, no one is being forced to boil a complex thing down to only 150 characters or whatever.

Its almost as if the details are too complex to get across in a single tweet and image. Or indeed in a thread based purely off a single tweet.
Almost like you need a lot more data to understand the numbers in context to come to an educated understanding.

After all if it were enough to understand then that would be all investors need, they wouldn't need a call explaining it in detail.

I work in a medical company in second level support, and we have monthly calls that need to go into so much detail to explain why (for example) a particular device may see even a small increase in service calls, since simply a picture of a graph and saying "Service calls for device x up 25% versus prior month" tell us nothing.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sony stock is surging. Investors seemed pleased with these results (plus getting past the Paramount acquisition rumours). I mean the whole results, not the cherry picked ones.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

Can always count on Matt and others with some added context.

Sony stock is surging. Investors seemed pleased with these results (plus getting past the Paramount acquisition rumours). I mean the whole results, not the cherry picked ones.
Damn, you ain't lying.....literally surging from a few hours ago.

I mean.....overall it isn't as bad as some are trying to make it.

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
No guarantee GTA 6 actually releasing this FY, marketing will for sure ramp up though, which could have a decent impact for the people still just playing the CoDs, FIFAs and Fortnites on PS4/XB1.

Ah ok. Holiday 2025 would probably be better for Sony - maybe they can get the hardware price down by then to tempt in the more casual crowd

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
And it would be good that the issues facing the console market as a whole isn't being handwaved away because Xbox has it worse.
If this is peak year, PS5 will not overtake the PS4 launch aligned, they are already behind.
I don't think GTA6 will have such a massive impact that it will "save" the console sales. Especially if it is delayed any further. It will be big, but people seem to think the 195 million sales accumulated over two decades will all translate into most buyers getting it day 1 on Playstation.

So, what do you think will be the impact of GTA6 on PS5 sales?
Do you think Sony already included it in their 18m forecast, expecting sales to be impacted by the upcoming release?
What impact will it have on the year GTA6 releases?

Also, keep the following in mind,
- GTA5 sales were at 40 million 2 years after console release, when it released on PC
- it sold over 3 console generations, possibly to many double or triple dippers (additionally to getting it on PC), although how much impact double dipping on game sales has, is questionable, while double dipping for a new console generation is more likely.

It's not my argument that it will save the console generation, that is the talking point here on this forum.
I just question the validity of hoping that this one game with 200 million sales over 2 decades will translate this into a gigantic release. With people that don't own consoles suddenly buying consoles in droves.
Ah, but you have to be able to follow the basic conversation if you want to start making accusations. You're creating talking points then arguing against them. I never said GTA6 would sell the majority of it's sales on day 1 for PS5.

What I said, was that the ceiling of 90m for PS5 is a ridiculous number, especially if you factor in that particular release. Even if GTA6 didn't exist, PS5 would still surpass that number. So I don't really see a need to respond to the narrative you created and started arguing against. No one handwaved the issues the console market faces as a whole.

I will make one comment on your GTA6 narrative though, GTA5 was coming off of a game that sold like 20-30m, GTA6 will have a much bigger start coming off of 5. Again, this is something I'm willing to bet a lot of money on. Still not really relevant to what I said though.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ah ok. Holiday 2025 would probably be better for Sony - maybe they can get the hardware price down by then to tempt in the more casual crowd
Yeah, also sounds like 2025-26 will be when their big 1st party studios really start dropping consistently too, so getting the PS5 set up for a decent price drop could give it a good second wind on the back of GTA 6 carrying it through 2025 (with hype + release).

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Can always count on Matt and others with some added context.

Damn, you ain't lying.....literally surging from a few hours ago.

I mean.....overall it isn't as bad as some are trying to make it.
No the report isn't bad, but the surge probably has to do with the announced stock split and share buy back. Technical, but it makes the stock move.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
there goes peoples shareholders are upset they missed their forecast for PS narrative lol. Sony as a whole beat EPS. Which is prob why it's positive. Last quarter was a miss.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I think it's pretty damn impressive to have sold 60 million units of a $500 console in just a little over 3 years.

Sony isn't focused on having PS5 sell more than PS4 due to tight margins, but they aren't really behind by much despite everything going on.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
there goes peoples shareholders are upset they missed their forecast for PS narrative lol. Sony as a whole beat EPS. Which is prob why it's positive. Last quarter was a miss.
See comment above for the main reason, but another ironic reason of a better profit outlook is because they expect to sell less PS5's. Hardware losses are that big of a drag still:

"But profits are forecast to rise 7% as the lower sales will mean smaller hardware losses and as it expects higher revenue from its PlayStation Plus subscription service."

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
See comment above for the main reason, but another ironic reason of a better profit outlook is because they expect to sell less PS5's. Hardware losses are that big of a drag still:

"But profits are forecast to rise 7% as the lower sales will mean smaller hardware losses and as it expects higher revenue from its PlayStation Plus subscription service."

I had a theory about that for something else that's off topic, but it makes sense.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

yeah because component costs are high still, also why the reforecast end lower because they kept prices high to compensate and chose additional revenue over pushing units.I expect they may have a smaller decline in the next 3 years than what the PS4 was as well since it seems like it will be later gen then will have deeper cuts as long as components go down in price. There's a lot of moving parts with this stuff.
the knock on effect is people prob will see games have higher prices, and sales wont be as good as in the past in the near future at least.

also shit a stock split? Yeah this is a good time to buy in before they split.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I think the biggest news is we're likely gonna have a console gen where only Nintendo outsold its predecessor consoles

Absolutely no chance the PS5 doesn't outsell the PS4. The PS4 had its legs cut out from under it because Sony needed to focus on producing PS5s during the pandemic

Edit: not to mention the Xbox S/X is MUCH weaker competition than the XBO and One X were.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely no chance the PS5 doesn't outsell the PS4. The PS4 had its legs cut out from under it because Sony needed to focus on producing PS5s during the pandemic.
There is absolutely a chance, it is already behind for one and there is most likely no price cut coming for the PS5 anytime soon, if ever (outside promotions). That is very different from how the PS4's life cycle went.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Ah, but you have to be able to follow the basic conversation if you want to start making accusations. You're creating talking points then arguing against them. I never said GTA6 would sell the majority of it's sales on day 1 for PS5.

What I said, was that the ceiling of 90m for PS5 is a ridiculous number, especially if you factor in that particular release. Even if GTA6 didn't exist, PS5 would still surpass that number. So I don't really see a need to respond to the narrative you created and started arguing against. No one handwaved the issues the console market faces as a whole.

Are you misremembering me for someone else? I never said anything about 90 million PS5's. I did say, that they will stay behind PS4 launch aligned if this was their peak year. (And implying, that GTA6 won't change that.)

I will make one comment on your GTA6 narrative though, GTA5 was coming off of a game that sold like 20-30m, GTA6 will have a much bigger start coming off of 5. Again, this is something I'm willing to bet a lot of money on. Still not really relevant to what I said though.

It will still sell to the same console audience that is stagnating. An audience, that is launch aligned way below its previous userbase (because of the box decline, Nintendo has no bearing on GTA6)
An Audience that was spread out over 3 generations and PC.

What do you think GTA6 will sell on Playstation in its first year, and what would be the impact to the console sales? Is Sony already predicting the impact of the release in its next forecast?

For me, I will think it will sell better than the GTA5 launch, but nothing that would impact console sales in any meaningful way because many people who will buy GTA6 already have the console.
GTA5 is basically a GaaS at this point, and was for the majority of its lifetime. The majority of people who want to play it for the story will be there day 1. But people who play it for the GaaS aspect (this includes double and triple dippers who upgraded to a new generation every time) will be harder to convince to buy it day 1 for 80 bucks.
And no, I also don't believe the game will (finally?) convince PC players to get a PS5.

At least not at 500 bucks for the then-inferior base console. Not even 400.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For me, I will think it will sell better than the GTA5 launch, but nothing that would impact console sales in any meaningful way because many people who will buy GTA6 already have the console.
Big doubt. GTAV is one of those evergreen and wide reaching games. Its the type of game that some will play exclusively and not upgrade their respective console/computer until the next one comes out. Couple that with the fact that its been a decade (or more) since V, and how hype will be exploding come release, I cant imagine that console sales will not be impacted at all... this'll be the most hyped game of the gen, of the decade, and probably be the biggest selling game ever (well, pretty much). Lets not pretend it'll have no impact, that seems incredibly naive.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
There is absolutely a chance, it is already behind for one and there is most likely no price cut coming for the PS5 anytime soon, if ever (outside promotions). That is very different from how the PS4's life cycle went.

It's barely behind to the extent that the number isn't statistically significant- and that's with the PS5 having years long supply problems that prevented Sony from selling to market demand.

I don't see price cuts as being critical for sales, honestly. Competition from Xbox has completely collapsed outside the US and even within the states its on life support. There IS no "pro level" console coming from Xbox either, so Sony has that market to themselves where they were splitting it with the One X last generation. Somewhere between 20 to 25% of PS4s sold were "pro" units and this number will be higher this time around.

And again- this generation is expected to go on longer than last before a replacement arrives and when one does, Sony does not have an incentive to immediately stop selling the PS5 when the PS6 shows up due to component shortages.

There is simply no realistic possibility this sells under the PS4.

Last edited:

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Are you misremembering me for someone else? I never said anything about 90 million PS5's. I did say, that they will stay behind PS4 launch aligned if this was their peak year. (And implying, that GTA6 won't change that.)
You...quoted me claiming I was handwaving the industry issues facing PS5. I was responding to someone claiming that said issues would prevent PS5 from topping 90m in total sales.

My point was that the issues that are preventing Xbox Series from hitting 50m aren't impacting Sony in the same way, and that 90m is a ridiculous number to cap PS5 sales at based on that.

Like I said, you have to follow the conversation and look at what I was responding to before you accuse me of handwaving anything.

What do you think GTA6 will sell on Playstation in its first year, and what would be the impact to the console sales? Is Sony already predicting the impact of the release in its next forecast?

GTA5 is basically a GaaS at this point, and was for the majority of its lifetime. The majority of people who want to play it for the story will be there day 1. But people who play it for the GaaS aspect (this includes double and triple dippers who upgraded to a new generation every time) will be harder to convince to buy it day 1 for 80 bucks.
And no, I also don't believe the game will (finally?) convince PC players to get a PS5.

At least not at 500 bucks for the then-inferior base console. Not even 400.
I would guess GTA6 would sell over 25m in the first year for PS5, and move an extra 2-3m consoles at least.

But again, I only mentioned GTA in relation to the post I replied to, stating that PS5 would cap out at 90m. That aint happening even without GTA6, it's definitely not happening with it.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
It's barely behind to the extent that the number isn't statistically significant- and that's with the PS5 having years long supply problems that prevented Sony from selling to market demand.

I don't see price cuts as being critical for sales, honestly. Competition from Xbox has completely collapsed outside the US and even within the states its on life support. There IS no "pro level" console coming from Xbox either, so Sony has that market to themselves where they were splitting it with the One X last generation.

And again- this generation is expected to go on longer than last before a replacement arrives and when one does, Sony does not have an incentive to immediately stop selling the PS5 when the PS6 shows up due to component shortages.

If Sony meets its forecast, it will grow from being 900k behind to 2m behind this year.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017

I don't see price cuts as being critical for sales, honestly. Competition from Xbox has completely collapsed outside the US and even within the states its on life support. There IS no "pro level" console coming from Xbox either, so Sony has that market to themselves where they were splitting it with the One X last generation.

Think you have the incorrect read on concentrating on competition vs the market. Has nothing to do with Xbox right now. It has everything to do with the market stagnating heavily. Even Sony is forecasting it to fall significantly behind (and that includes with the Pro being released...)

Broseph

Mar 2, 2021

I don't see price cuts as being critical for sales, honestly. Competition from Xbox has completely collapsed outside the US and even within the states its on life support. There IS no "pro level" console coming from Xbox either, so Sony has that market to themselves where they were splitting it with the One X last generation. Somewhere between 20 to 25% of PS4s sold were "pro" units and this number will be higher this time around.

Yeah honestly being one million under the PS4 when the PS4 starting to be discounted to $200 occasionally at this time while the PS5 is holding at $500 with discounts only going to $400 is a fantastic performance. Seeing as the console will have an extra year on the market compared to the PS4 and I doubt Sony will shut it down as fast as they did with the PS4 makes me confident it'll beat it

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

It will still sell to the same console audience that is stagnating. An audience, that is launch aligned way below its previous userbase (because of the box decline, Nintendo has no bearing on GTA6)
An Audience that was spread out over 3 generations and PC.

How can you even say this when the game sells literally every month near the top of the charts in almost every region? It's a cultural phenomenon, those still in last gen will have no choice but to move on to the systems that it's on.