Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
And it would be good that the issues facing the console market as a whole isn't being handwaved away because Xbox has it worse.
If this is peak year, PS5 will not overtake the PS4 launch aligned, they are already behind.
I don't think GTA6 will have such a massive impact that it will "save" the console sales. Especially if it is delayed any further. It will be big, but people seem to think the 195 million sales accumulated over two decades will all translate into most buyers getting it day 1 on Playstation.

They're 800K consoles behind the PS4 with a much more expensive console. People are just saying don't use Xbox as an indicator of the console market as a whole when they are posting less than 1m consoles in the same quarter as PlayStation does 4.5m.

Witchcraft

"This guy are sick"
Oct 9, 2022
And it would be good that the issues facing the console market as a whole isn't being handwaved away because Xbox has it worse.
If this is peak year, PS5 will not overtake the PS4 launch aligned, they are already behind.
I don't think GTA6 will have such a massive impact that it will "save" the console sales. Especially if it is delayed any further. It will be big, but people seem to think the 195 million sales accumulated over two decades will all translate into most buyers getting it day 1 on Playstation.
They're about 800k behind the PS4 with no real deep discounts or price drops. There's also a Pro on the horizon - what needs "saving" exactly?

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

GTA is a game is so big it's a game that people who don't play games play. It's also only launching on PS5 and Xbox.
In what world will it not have a massive impact lmao?

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still behind ps4? It might not catch up at this point since they lowered next year forecast

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
From an investor's perspective, Sony badly missed their original 25M forecast and have now technically undershot their revised forecast - that's not so good.

In the context of being quite expensive and having initial chip shortages, however, PS5 is doing quite well.

Both of these statements are true. Calling Tom Warren an "idiot" for taking the former position is not a good look.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
User Warned: Metacommentary
It's a little frustrating, though, because there's already this misaligned narrative spreading that Sony's console business is failing in the same way as Microsoft's console business is. Obviously they both have issues, but one is not like the other.

This context-less portrayal of what are, admittedly, facts just further feeds a false narrative, because people won't look beyond the initial headline.

The results look terrible in this thread title, but that's not the actual reality.

Gaming discourse is trying very hard to push this SonyToo narrative. Usual suspects and such…

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
GTA 6 is going to sell an absolute shit load of consoles because there is no guarantee when that is coming to PC. It is the most popular game in history and even if it sells a percentage of what GTA 5 did, it will piss out consoles. I don't think people understand the tidal wave that is coming.

GTA is a game is so big it's a game that people who don't play games play. It's also only launching on PS5 and Xbox.
In what world will it not have a massive impact lmao?

So, what do you think will be the impact of GTA6 on PS5 sales?
Do you think Sony already included it in their 18m forecast, expecting sales to be impacted by the upcoming release?
What impact will it have on the year GTA6 releases?

Also, keep the following in mind,
- GTA5 sales were at 40 million 2 years after console release, when it released on PC
- it sold over 3 console generations, possibly to many double or triple dippers (additionally to getting it on PC), although how much impact double dipping on game sales has, is questionable, while double dipping for a new console generation is more likely.

It's not my argument that it will save the console generation, that is the talking point here on this forum.
I just question the validity of hoping that this one game with 200 million sales over 2 decades will translate this into a gigantic release. With people that don't own consoles suddenly buying consoles in droves.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Funny that games sales are given dollars and hardware is units. I wonder how dollar sales compare for PS4 & 5 at this point.

beebop

May 30, 2023
Can someone help me understand how the facts in that short form tweet should have been presented that wouldn't have gotten people so emotional? Did it need sunshine and rainbow emojis at the end?

NeoZylom

Apr 10, 2019
Q4 2022 was their record breaking quarter for PS HW so being just 29% down from that - and considering the current economy - it's quite a great result imo.

eww9b65.jpeg
Do I read that right? 77% of solg games were digital i. Q4???

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
From an investor's perspective, Sony badly missed their original 25M forecast and have now technically undershot their revised forecast - that's not so good.

In the context of being quite expensive and having initial chip shortages, however, PS5 is doing quite well.

Both of these statements are true. Calling Tom Warren an "idiot" for taking the former position is not a good look.

Wait, hang the fuck on, 2 things can be true at once?!

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
I can't belive people are trying to spin this as bad, it's basically launch aligned with ps4 that's pretty damn good considering all the issues ps5 had with stock and the global market etc. Also ps5 was on sale so much last year in Europe that I imagine they could do a £100-€100 price drop permanently and slot ps5 pro in at the normal price.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
User Banned (Permanent): Platform Warring; Long History of the Same while account in Junior Phase
That's an extremely negative take on what is largely a very, very, very good financial report. Obviously it's all factual, but it's missing some crucial context I think, like the fact that original sales target was incredibly aggressive and PS5 had only just become readily available during the same period last year.
Pretty normal from tom warren, he will not mention 4.5m ps5 sold in this quarter vs 800k xbox series sold in this quarter

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
god! don't really envy the life of "sony too! doomer"
look at the stuff they have to work with

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
These are actually great results…
They are. lol also a slight miss they missed their forecast by a rounding error. It's a miss of -0.00952380952381. Also down from a year of first time availability is just saying they are now meeting demand, sold nearly as many PS5s as PS4 but with a higher avg selling price. So yeah all in all very healthy.

That's not how forecasts work though. Every industry you forecast and reforecast and even between the original forecast they were within 15% of the 25 million. And now are a rounding error of the 21 million. So from an investors perspective it's not a cause for any alarm vs missing by 20-30% which would be the case esp after final results.

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
Not great considering this is already marked down almost 20% from their last quarter. I knew they had zero chance of hitting that goal. Channel was absolutely stuff with consoles. PS5 was discounted a lot last quarter, in America there was multiple instances of being able to get a PS5 WITH Spider-Man 2 for 400$ I think this year will come under this forecast as well. It's going to do fine over its lifespan but they will sell less than PS4. I wonder if Xbox ONE users are switching to PC or just dropping out of the market since they aren't seemly migrating to PS5

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
Can someone help me understand how the facts in that short form tweet should have been presented that wouldn't have gotten people so emotional? Did it need sunshine and rainbow emojis at the end?
Well firstly, something like this isn't really suited to a short form tweet, it's very hard to properly explain the results in that format and there's no actual need for it to be done. Probably better to write an article and link it, but that naturally takes longer.

Secondly, the biggest issue is just listing the hardware YoY change with no context and no other information besides it slightly missing the forecast. If you're trying to give a brief summary of the results then it's better to use something that better reflects the overall picture. There was no mention of operating income or how the unit sales are outside of the forecast (I think it's the most sold in a year?). Only stating the aspects that look bad is going to look like a deliberate choice.

If it was one tweet in a thread where everything relevant was being mentioned then it would be one thing, but aside from a separate tweet about Helldivers 2 sales, this is all he has said about it. It's definitely a weird choice at best.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
That's not how forecasts work though. Every industry you forecast and reforecast and even between the original forecast they were within 10% of the 25 million. And now are a rounding error of the 21 million. So from an investors perspective it's not a cause for any alarm vs missing by 20-30% which would be the case esp after final results.

10% of 25M is 2.5M (so 22.5M). So no, Sony was off by more than that.

Also, no, that IS how forecasts work. Investors often buy and sell shares based on whether or not they feel confident that a company will meet/exceed its forecasts. Not meeting them is objectively not good news.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
From a purely shareholder's point of view, you can be sure this is how they will look at things. Now, should you care? Really not.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
10% of 25M is 2.5M (so 22.5M). So no, Sony was off by more than that.

Also, no, that IS how forecasts work. Investors often buy and sell shares based on whether or not they feel confident that a company will meet/exceed its forecasts. Not meeting them is objectively not good news.
I just edited my percentage. Again not anything that a cause for alarm when looking at all factors surrounding it. And the stock is up 1% trading. So not sure what mythical investors are alarmed here.

Additionally people buy and sell if a company is doing better than competitors even in a down market.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
If you notice the situation, the results are pretty good, of course, didnt reach the 21m consoles sold but sold..... 20.8m, incredible result , and the console is down YoY because last year was the PS5 peak quarters, but overall incredible result

The only onws trying to spin this as a negative are the console warriors, and some journalist that clearly are xbox centric

View: https://twitter.com/DomsPlaying/status/1790324729326280880?t=1iAkyRClYak3Z-D8FPr9Tg&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/DomsPlaying/status/1790328335886651693?t=atmVGFZQeTAME7dKTIjKFw&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1790305404213506355?t=unW5FYaDAt1ZVMMimkKCWw&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/Welfare_JBP/status/1790279236973903919?t=l59tHxAY6iWlS7B63ylRFg&s=19

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, what a great result overall! The PS5 has fallen behind the PS4 but not by too much and the price is obviously a huge barrier. We'll see how the Pro and the launch of GTAVI helps. Ultimately though price cuts would definitely help. Still seems very healthy otherwise.

beebop

May 30, 2023
Well firstly, something like this isn't really suited to a short form tweet, it's very hard to properly explain the results in that format and there's no actual need for it to be done. Probably better to write an article and link it, but that naturally takes longer.

Secondly, the biggest issue is just listing the hardware YoY change with no context and no other information besides it slightly missing the forecast. If you're trying to give a brief summary of the results then it's better to use something that better reflects the overall picture. There was no mention of operating income or how the unit sales are outside of the forecast (I think it's the most sold in a year?). Only stating the aspects that look bad is going to look like a deliberate choice.

If it was one tweet in a thread where everything relevant was being mentioned then it would be one thing, but aside from a separate tweet about Helldivers 2 sales, this is all he has said about it. It's definitely a weird choice at best.
Feels way over-thought to me for what is accurate information idk. But then why create a thread using this tweet if some people find it so objectionable?

Sydle

Oct 27, 2017
They're about 800k behind the PS4 with no real deep discounts or price drops. There's also a Pro on the horizon - what needs "saving" exactly?

For an industry with rising costs that needs more players to monetize for financial growth and health, it's fairly clear that consoles aren't the vehicle to bring in a lot of new players. And there's only so much you can monetize an audience that seemingly isn't growing gen over gen.

Playstation's original PS5 forecast tells you what they believed they needed for their model to work in terms of growth and health. The fact they missed their revised target isn't great, but at least the bottom isn't falling out rapidly.

Big picture, Sony will have to innovate to get more players. And, unless there's some breakthrough on the cost of console components that allows a price drop to give PS5 sales a big shot in the arm (possible I guess?), it's likely going to be similar tactics to what Microsoft is having to explore in leaning in on PC, cloud and/or mobile.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
If you notice the situation, the results are pretty good, of course, didnt reach the 21m consoles sold but sold..... 20.8m, incredible result , and the console is down YoY because last year was the PS5 peak quarters, but overall incredible result

The only onws trying to spin this as a negative are the console warriors, and some journalist that clearly are xbox centric

View: https://twitter.com/DomsPlaying/status/1790324729326280880?t=1iAkyRClYak3Z-D8FPr9Tg&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/DomsPlaying/status/1790328335886651693?t=atmVGFZQeTAME7dKTIjKFw&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/Genki_JPN/status/1790305404213506355?t=unW5FYaDAt1ZVMMimkKCWw&s=19

View: https://twitter.com/Welfare_JBP/status/1790279236973903919?t=l59tHxAY6iWlS7B63ylRFg&s=19

Sony still doing well enough but if it doesn't catch up to and pass PS4, it's the best sign that the console market is slowly but surely shrinking.

Xbox...baby idk what to tell you.

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
Feels way over-thought to me for what is accurate information idk. But then why create a thread using this tweet if some people find it so objectionable?
It's technically accurate but misrepresentative by omission. It's like winning the lottery and only focusing on the money spent on the ticket, albeit much less extreme.

A chain of tweets outlining everything is giving the full picture, someone gave an example of this above. It's inherently different to extracting the information that could be framed in the worst way and absolutely nothing else.

beebop

May 30, 2023
It's technically accurate but misrepresentative by omission. It's like winning the lottery and only focusing on the money spent on the ticket, albeit much less extreme.

A chain of tweets outlining everything is giving the full picture, someone gave an example of this above. It's inherently different to extracting the information that could be framed in the worst way and absolutely nothing else.
You've explained it quite succinctly, and I do get it, but when some people resort to personal insults it's hard to take the objections seriously which is why it looks to me like such an over-reaction.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol

Good overview, thanks!

PS5 sold better than PS4 in US/JP, but worse in europe - for reasons we all know, I guess.

David Matter

Banned
Apr 16, 2024
Console sales aren't surpassing their predecessors

The switch 2 will sell 100 m which is fine but it won't be beating the switch imo

I'm guessing Xbox series top out at 40-50m and Sony PlayStation 5 top at 80-90m, maybe 100m if people really dig the pro and upgrade their base consoles
xbox series doing 40-50m ,i dont know in what dimension that will happen really, they barely did 800k last quarter, less than a 1m, and they are expenting declines for the next quarter, and possibly the next ...... they maybe dont even reah 40m, and the last amount revealed that xbox series sold was 28m

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy smokes. PlayStation's Year to Date Sales is basically equal to Microsoft, Activision Blizzard, and Nintendo put together?!

HitcherFL

Nov 3, 2023
You've explained it quite succinctly, and I do get it, but when some people resort to personal insults it's hard to take the objections seriously which is why it looks to me like such an over-reaction.
I fully agree that insults are not in any way appropriate. I think pointing out that it's a really weird choice to present things like that is plenty without attacking his intelligence.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ignore Tom's tweet he does that on purpose for engagement.

4.9M in Q4 is a great result.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Very solid results. They managed to surpass the best PS4 year.

We'll see if they will manage to finally reduce the price of base PS5 console when Pro arrives, and what will be the impact of GTA6 [without a PC port at launch]. PS4 went through the entire generation without a brand new GTA drop.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Sony still doing well enough but if it doesn't catch up to and pass PS4, it's the best sign that the console market is slowly but surely shrinking.

Xbox...baby idk what to tell you.

The question is, where did those players go (especially the xbox players)?
Did they still on their old gen machines?
Did they move to PC? or went full portable with Switch/Steam Deck?

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Got old, younger gen are not as attached to plastic boxes when their lives are already on a mobile phone
(I am obviously generalizing...test subjects are my kids)

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
All of the above. Plus, YouTube became king time sink. Streaming services have so much to offer. And certain free to play games became the be all end all, and you don't even need new gen hardware to run it. Mobile. Console costs not going down, economy is what it is, the Covid bubble bursting. It's a maelstrom of shit.