• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
The show's ratings are going downhill since it's been going for 29 years and the quality is not the same it used to be.

I have no idea? Right, since you have the absolute truth.
Tell me what Hari's documentary is about

How are you going to act like "oh well I'm not talking about him" when the THREAD IS ABOUT HIM

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, you wanna know what outrage culture really is?

It's the most defenseless, downtrodden, and stepped on people who were denied a representative public voice for hundreds of years in this country until a little thing called the internet came along.

Outrage culture? That's all the POCs, minorities, victims of sexual assault and abuse who never had anywhere to go to be represented and lifted towards into the public eye as a concern for America as a whole.

Black men being gunned down in cold blood by police
Children being shot and killed in their own schools that they are mandated to be at
Women who were shoved aside by the old boys club
Minorities who had to sit and bear racism on television building the average white person perception of them. This perception also being a stereotype written and performed by white people.

Y'all want me to keep going out so you just want to keep willing we're all too outraged over here? Nah, people have a fucking voice now. Deal with it or get run over by time and progress.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I feel like if they completely ignored this, they'd be in a better place. Their responses are dumb.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Just because more people are angry about things does not mean they enjoy it or that their feelings are disingenuous.

You can disagree with them, but unless there's some significant evidence to back your claims up, it's pretty insulting to act like they don't mean what they say.
Okay. Are you offended?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the idea that some people present that stereotypes are essential for comedy somehow is pretty disgusting in its own right.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why discussion of issues means people are outraged? I loved the Simpson's as a kid. Super funny and always had fun playing with expectations. But I can see how problematic some of the characters are in this day and age. It was written in a different era and time. I wouldn't call anyone working on it a racist or out to be destructive. I would just say it is valid that they have this brought to their attention and then hopefully learn and grow from it.

How is this outrage culture? I truly don't get people.

The secret is that any time you don't like people criticizing something, you can call it "outrage culture" and write it off as something you don't have to engage with enough to actually form an informed opinion on either way.

Everything is outrage culture and nothing is.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Not talking about this precise story but in general. Whenever I see a offended post on facebook or twitter, most of the time it's some white middle classe person.

I don't understand what that has to do with Hari Kondabolu and Apu.

Stop using something else to deflect from this situation and Matt Groening's hacky response to something specific.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
I am a bit surprised there aren't any bans on people that keep parroting that people like to pretend to be offended.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Outrage culture is turning into thw genertic version of Soros is behind this

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also to all the people who think that some of the white people who are "offended" by this out just pretending, it's a little thing called having empathy for your fellow human beings.

I don't know if some of you have tried it but it's a good thing to have.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So that makes it a universal truth?
Not to mention that while some white middle class people are absolutely faking it, or at the very least highly hypocritical, the idea that no white person can have empathy for PoC (or other people in situations they aren't personally familiar with in general)is also problematic.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, all the documentary was trying to accomplish was to get us to consider the experiences of Indian Americans.

And it appears half of us failed.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
Yes and no, Yes people love to be offended but the documentary was a thoughtful breakdown of a legitimate problem well documented in the community offended by the character and how it directly effected their lives.
This wasn't a simple knee jerk "I'm offended" situation, this was a complete and thorough presentation.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there's a guy in here tripling down on his klan hood analysis of the situation, even though there's actual KKK out there whose reality you might not want to diminish

Says a lot you pick out the one poster with the most extreme opinion and are focusing completely on that. It sums up this "outraged by those offended" culture pretty well.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, i still don't agree with your points as most of the outrage i've witnessed to this seems to come from the right, people being outraged that someone is "outraged" over something, when really they're misunderstanding outrage for criticism, and a pretty rational and valid argument. Those that are outraged seem to have no understanding of the actual issues.

I mean here's where I stand.

I think the simpsons has been offensive and racist for basically it's entire life. It's not justified in any way. You watch something like south park and when it's racist it's doing it to be offensive it's got a undercurrent of tounge in cheek to it and it knows exactly what it's doing. The Simpsons is show shown in prime time childrens entertainment slots and it's basically mild hate propergander at times. The Documentary highlights it's use of racists sterotypes.

If you have seen people of indian heritage (after the fact of the documentary) complain about this. That's perfect, They are personally affected and if they want to stand up and spread awareness and raise concern that's great.

However what I've seen isn't that it's people latching to a new social justice cause because like it or not the hard left (and I'm as liberal as they come here) have a tendency to use underhanded, brash and pushy tactics because a large portion of that side of the fence just want to raise outrage because it's the done thing. Like the Vegan asshole who has a thread on front page because he started tweeting some other harmless vegan for buying an ice cream. I think it's ignorant to ignore these people that are basically bullies.

There is just cause here but there's also and element of leftist rage for the sake of it.

Oct 28, 2017
There might be something with white people getting upset about an issue and said marginalized group is not upset, but considering it's Hari talking about this issue, I'm willing to listen.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That makes it my truth, my experience.

Sorry but when most of the time I see some angry white middle class jerk trying to act offended for black people, asians, poor people etc.. I dont buy it.
White people can have empathy too. Not to mention you'll see more white people saying stuff like this because there are more white people in America (and other places in the world that commonly post in English on the internet for that matter) than PoC, especially if we're limiting it to a specific group

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what that has to do with Hari Kondabolu and Apu.

Stop using something else to deflect from this situation and Matt Groening's hacky response to something specific.
Well since people started to change the thread into this outrage culture subject.

You can go argue with the ones who started it, as well.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Not to mention that while some white middle class people are absolutely faking it, or at the very least highly hypocritical, the idea that no white person can have empathy for PoC (or other people in situations they aren't personally familiar with in general)is also problematic.
It's really is

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much admitting he didn't saw a single second of the documentary, making the episode joke even worse. What a dumbass.

Jan 10, 2018
Besides the obvious issue that most of the white guys being triggered here by criticism, while having not watched said criticism(nor will they watch), I do find it remarkable how much right wingers have successfully turned rightful anger into something to be frowned upon. You are not allowed to be angry anymore, except when it goes against blacks, asians, muslims, women, jews, mexicans etc etc.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
ITT: white dudes telling minorities their feelings don't count
Nailed it. As someone of Indian descent I'm frankly done with assholes telling me all my life that I shouldn't be offended by their caricatures, calling me terrorist and making stupid remarks about cows. "It was just jokes, lighten up!" yeah fuck that. The Simpsons is so ingrained in American culture that any criticism of it is seen as a personal insult by so many - including those on the left.

Baka Sempai

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely agree with Matt's response.
If people find Apu stereotype offensive, then by all means please remove Bumblebee Man.
And while you're at it, please also remove the whole "typical american family" stereotype because that's also offensive.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe people do love to be offended because any time minority issues are discussed a lot of people don't like it

feyder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Groening was asked about Apu, not outrage culture. I don't understand why people are stripping out the context of the interview. As it stands, it's a big fuck you to Indians and Indian Americans.
Yup.

Funny how even when this whole issue is about and raised by Indians/South Asians, people just want to talk about white people and their role in "outrage culture."

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really see anyone "outraged" to begin with so this whole "ooooh people are so outrage about Apu now" line is horseshit. I see people who listened to Kondabolu argument and agree with him and feel there should be a conversation about it. That's it. He gave his side of things and it had people look at Apu differently than before and awaited a response from the show and the producers/writers.

The only thing that's come to being "outraged" came after the Simpson's creators response. They could have had that conversation too but instead they shit on it thus escalating people to the point of actual outrage because of how shitty they come across as.

BoosterDuck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I definitely agree with Matt's response.
If people find Apu stereotype offensive, then by all means please remove Bumblebee Man.
And while you're at it, please also remove the whole "typical american family" stereotype because that's also offensive.
Bumblebee Man isn't even offensive because hardly anyone goes AYE DIOS MIOS when they see Mexicans

stop being a Nazi plz, Gestapo man

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Okay, you wanna know what outrage culture really is?

It's the most defenseless, downtrodden, and stepped on people who were denied a representative public voice for hundreds of years in this country until a little thing called the internet came along.

Outrage culture? That's all the POCs, minorities, victims of sexual assault and abuse who never had anywhere to go to be represented and lifted towards into the public eye as a concern for America as a whole.

Black men being gunned down in cold blood by police
Children being shot and killed in their own schools that they are mandated to be at
Women who were shoved aside by the old boys club
Minorities who had to sit and bear racism on television building the average white person perception of them. This perception also being a stereotype written and performed by white people.

Y'all want me to keep going out so you just want to keep willing we're all too outraged over here? Nah, people have a fucking voice now. Deal with it or get run over by time and progress.
I like the cut of your jib.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Old, rich, white man attributes legitimate concerns made by minority to "outrage culture".

Certain people in this thread applaud that.

Not a great look.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you are saying "Groening is right about this, but obviously not about the Apu thing" you are picking and choosing were to apply this faulty argument so it can fit your established worldview, which would make you an inconsistent hipocrite.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Well since people started to change the thread into this outrage culture subject.

You can go argue with the ones who started it, as well.

My responses cover them as well.

They're fairly monolithic in their attempts to dismiss everything under the umbrella of "outrage culture rum amok". It's so transparent. They're lazy and boring.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how many people saying "I agree with him" or "he's right" are Indian or South Asian.

Status
Not open for further replies.