• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
Can't hear his response from underneath his Klan hood. The worst generation keeps being the worst generation, but it's all okay because he's white and he made a lot of money propogating racism. Can't have any introspection or anything that might hurt his money train. We all know what this is really about.
This seems a little bit aggressive but what do I know I'm white. His response to this should be better. I can see his point even though I don't agree.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yes POC are just pretending to be outraged (eye roll). Terrible response but it's not like I expected anything better.

Last edited:

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Like, what benefit do you get by pretending to be outraged? Do you get a check? A free meal?

I'm trying to understand that line of thought. 'The criticisms against me are made up. You are enjoying this. You actually love this.' How do you get there?

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ways out of this mess:

- Have Apu killed in a robbery
- Have Apu become mute somehow
- Have Apu go through a language class that gives him a perfect American accent
- Hire an Indian voice actor to retain the accent wihout exaggarating it
- Double down with rude remarks until the issue is forgotten about eventually

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Well he's not wrong. Maybe he's wrong about Apu specifically but people do sure love to be outraged nowadays. We have probably at least a thread per day on the new outrage of the day

You see, this is about Apu specifically, so why are you putting everything under the same umbrella? So you can hand-wave everything away without actually thinking critically about it?

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't hear his response from underneath his Klan hood. The worst generation keeps being the worst generation, but it's all okay because he's white and he made a lot of money propogating racism. Can't have any introspection or anything that might hurt his money train. We all know what this is really about.

Really?

What a horrid fucking post.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I don't think anyone has called Matt a terrible person here, a coward perhaps but this weak response, but he should engage with the issue and try to understand it which he clearly hasn't, something Azaria has, given that Hari Kondabolu cared enough about it all to make a documentary about it.
I agree it's a really weak response and that Apu is a problematic character whose depiction has become pretty untenable in 2018. I think I just hit the point of outrage fatigue with this headline. So much of it just riles people up, it doesn't kick the can any further down the road.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Dismissive towards concerns of racism.
Social media is causing Outrage culture. I agree with the guy 100%.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
You see, this is about Apu specifically, so why are you putting everything under the same umbrella of your own "outrage"?
Because the quote directly says people love to be outraged these days which is correct. However I'd be surprised if Groening has watched the documentary to understand the specific point on why So I is such a problem.

As I said earlier a handwave is not the answer here. Disappointing but expected response.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ways out of this mess:

- Have Apu killed in a robbery
- Have Apu become mute somehow
- Have Apu go through a language class that gives him a perfect American accent
- Hire an Indian voice actor to retain the accent wihout exaggarating it
- Double down with rude remarks until the issue is forgotten about eventually
Watch as he's killed by a caricature of an outraged keyboard warrior who hates freedom of speech. I wish I was joking.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I agree it's a really weak response and that Apu is a problematic character whose depiction has become pretty untenable in 2018. I think I just hit the point of outrage fatigue with this headline. So much of it just riles people up, it doesn't kick the can any further down the road.
I hear you, this is such an odd one too as i think so many people who are outraged over the "outrage" actually have no understanding of what the actually issues are, The Problem with Apu is completely reasonable and raises legitimate concerns. If we don't speak up with problematic issues though, and give support to those that do, things won't change.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You see, this is about Apu specifically, so why are you putting everything under the same umbrella? So you can hand-wave everything away without actually thinking critically about it?
He said "And I think it's a time in our culture where people love to pretend they're offended." this is what I refer to.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Because the quote directly says people love to be outraged these days which is correct. However I'd be surprised if Groening has watched the documentary to understand the specific point on why So I is such a problem.

As I said earlier a handwave is not the answer here. Disappointing but expected response.

Wow, what a useless and not at all salient statement, coming from Groening and anyone else.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I mean he isn't wrong. People do love to pretend they are outraged.

The problem is sifting through what deserves outrage and what doesn't. Who is genuinely offended and who is just trying to make a scene or gather attention.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just sick of this whole conversation. I'm getting sick of all the conversations. It's just arguing, then policing, then arguing about the policing. We're becoming so neurotic. I'm not even saying that people's ideals are the problem, they aren't, I share them - it's the unproductiveness of all this constant drama and 'X is a horrible person'. I'm becoming convinced social media should have never fucking happened.

Matt's probably a flawed but decent person. Like me and you.

For what it's worth, I completely agree. People do this as a sport. It's entertainment. Just look at all the threads on this forum of people going out of their way to argue .

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never even realised he is a stereotype. Growing up in UK nearly every first gen Indian immigrant spoke like Apu or very similar with heavy accent, and every cornershop or qwik-e mart type shops were owned by Indians (or Packistani).

Was US different? 30 years ago too.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
I'll add this to the list: anyone using the term outage culture to hand wave concerns is probably closet racist, too.
This is bullshit too. Dunno if it might be different in the US but here in the UK we have a culture of people complaining to our tv regulator because of a show they dont watch which was reported in the daily mail doing something they are told not to like.

Outrage culture is a real thing and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with race. Groening was off point here though. Very tone def response from him.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Whatever respect I had for the Simpsons and Matt Groening is gone.

Just cancel the show already.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I hear you, this is such an odd one too as i think so many people who are outraged over the "outrage" actually have no understanding of what the actually issues are, The Problem with Apu is completely reasonable and raises legitimate concerns. If we don't speak up with problematic issues though, and give support to those that do, things won't change.
I just hope people weigh it against their mental health when they participate in it regularly. I know I need to take a break, I really haven't since Trump was elected. As a society I'm worried in terms of our collective mental health that this is just the thing we do now. And again, I'm not saying it's bad or proposing a better alternative.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Apu is an offence caricature that plays more on racial heritage than on personal traits than caricatures are known for.

But the public outcry here isn't from people of Indian heritage it's from people who

1.Want to be offeded
2.Want to have the moral high ground
3.Push overtly PC agendas for the sake of belittlement

It's hard left twitter in a nutshell.

Deleted member 15326

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have any of you guys who think people "love to be outraged these days" ever considered that some things have always been issues and you're just hearing about them now because it's easier for people you'd never otherwise hear from to speak up

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Being offended seems to be the worst thing in our society now. So are we going to ban all stereotypes in comedy because we are worried of offending?
Honestly, take a bit of time and go watch the documentary. At the very least it should help you understand why your way of framing the conversation is an unhelpful non sequitur.

Oct 25, 2017
From the little I have read and heard the whole problem comes from a whole generation of indian-americans being bullied by being called Apu and things connected to the character while in school right?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God the response from The Simpsons team has been utterly pathetic.

Hari Kondabolu made a really well made film that really digs deep into the issues that Apu has caused Indian people.

Meanwhile the Simpsons team response has been: "HUR DUR EVERYONE IS PRETENDING!!! FAKE OUTRAGE!!! WE'RE RIGHT YOUR WRONG!!!"

Mido

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Dismissing concerns of racism.
Completely agree, fuck outrage culture and this cherry picking of Apu when you could consider almost all Simpsons characters offensive is completely ridiculous.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair Apu is an offence caricature that plays more on racial heritage than on personal traits than caricatures are known for.

But the public outcry here isn't from people of Indian heritage it's from people who

1.Want to be offeded
2.Want to have the moral high ground
3.Push overtly PC agendas for the sake of belittlement

It's hard left twitter in a nutshell.
...the documentary was made by Hari Kondabolu.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he isn't wrong. People do love to pretend they are outraged.

The problem is sifting through what deserves outrage and what doesn't. Who is genuinely offended and who is just trying to make a scene or gather attention.

It's in direct response to the Apu situation, which is more than a legitimate thing, which he clearly has no interest engaging with like an empathetic adult. So, he's definitely wrong.

These post talking about "loving to be outraged" is not applicable here. It just makes you sound like a dick.

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i do think there is a lot of 'pretend outrage' that gets a lot of attention these days. i don't think this situation is one

but something like that thread about a teenager wearing an asian dress to prom certainly is

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
People are mad at the idea of the documentry, but i dont think many of them have watched it. Cause it is pretty sobering, it's minorities talking about the grim acceptence of being seen as a trope.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope people weigh it against their mental health when they participate in it regularly. I know I need to take a break, I really haven't since Trump was elected. As a society I'm worried in terms of our collective mental health that this is just the thing we do now. And again, I'm not saying it's bad or proposing a better alternative.
Man, i take breaks for sure, i ditch OT here and there on Era and just stick to gaming and the hangouts, shut off my news/current affairs feeds and just take it easy without thinking about the world for awhile - it is definitely needed for my mental health, and i hope others do the same if and when they need it too. Though we've got a provincial election coming up thats not looking good thats going to weigh on me a lot and be difficult to ignore, i'm not looking forward to it.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Can I take both sides on this one? Apu is a stereotypical character that should have been left behind long ago...but it also definitely feels like folks tend to get more easily offended these days as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.