• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely brilliant response. There is no middle ground as the responses on this thread have shown. You think it's a brilliant response or you think it's awful

How is "lol outrage culture" a brilliant response? Have some standards, man.

Groening just sounds like an asshole who lacks any and all nuance about an issue Hari Kondabolu highlighted. He's lazy.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
The only unjustified outrage i can thing of is against Michele wolf. Who is racist, and it's obvious he has not watched the documentary as it refutes the obvious defences people like him Would use

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
For those agreeing with him, are you actually familiar with Hari Kondabolu issues and "The Problem with Apu", or are you just making assumptions on what the criticisms are?

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
I mean I get the show is outdated because it's a billion years old and all, but saying Hari's documentary is just him "pretending to get offended" is messed up. The guy put in his time and made a well thought out doc, it's not right to push it aside that easily. Same thing with the show's "what can you do" response a few weeks back. Just shows that you/they don't care.

Especially since Matt and the show itself was very progressive in their younger years.

Wololo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 20, 2017
User Warned: Dismissal of racial concerns.
Good on him. I stopped watching the show years ago but glad hes standing his ground.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like many people in this thread are pretending to be offended about the offense taken.

Is this how 12-dimensional-chess works?

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really in a position to judge, but I never saw Apu as an offensive caricature. He was just another character on the show to me, but I kind of stopped watching 15 years ago, so maybe that changed in the years since. Either way, the Simpsons took the crown for longest running television program already. It's high time they bowed out.

SegFault

Oct 25, 2017
his entire response could be reduced to:

"old out of touch comedian thinks criticism of their work is fake outrage"

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just started downloading "The Problem with Apu" to my DVR. Let's see what we have here...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing like telling people of color their experiences aren't worthy, or even real!

Yep.

Like, even if he's not exactly wrong, that's not the response you give. Maybe you should just take a second and reexamine things in a new light based on new perspectives. Plus, Matt really has nothing to do with day-to-day Simpsons, so he should just stfu and let the showrunning staff handle it.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
This is a fine reply when it's something silly, but not when it's about a racist stereotype.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's, uh, not a great answer. A guy makes a documentary to articulate and illustrate why what was an afterthought to Groening was an actual issue in his life, and the only answer he can muster is this limp deflection?

Edit for all the "yeah, you show them" one liners. If you believe there's a rampant "outrage culture", you should at least acknowledge you're part of it when you're complaining online about other opinions. That cuts both ways.

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
I'm just sick of this whole conversation. I'm getting sick of all the conversations. It's just arguing, then policing, then arguing about the policing. We're becoming so neurotic. I'm not even saying that people's ideals are the problem, they aren't, I share them - it's the unproductiveness of all this constant drama and 'X is a horrible person'. I'm becoming convinced social media should have never fucking happened.

Matt's probably a flawed but decent person. Like me and you.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Days): Inflammatory Derailment
Can't hear his response from underneath his Klan hood. The worst generation keeps being the worst generation, but it's all okay because he's white and he made a lot of money propogating racism. Can't have any introspection or anything that might hurt his money train. We all know what this is really about.

mango.

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's like people in the 90's who would share Sea Shepherd's VHS and peer pressure you into internationally mailing 10 bucks to them while they wore mink.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the Simpsons was intentionally calling out the status quo family values ideology where possible?

Now they've become what used to want to have them cancelled.

What a spineless response.

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't hear his response from underneath his Klan hood. The worst generation keeps being the worst generation, but it's all okay because he's white and he made a lot of money propogating racism. Can't have any introspection or anything that might hurt his money train. We all know what this is really about.
lord

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm honestly surprised at all the posts here applauding this response. Perhaps dumb to say, but I expected better from Era.

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Incredible.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just sick of this whole conversation. I'm getting sick of all the conversations. It's just arguing, then policing, then arguing about the policing. We're becoming so neurotic. I'm not even saying that people's ideals are the problem, they aren't, I share them - it's the unproductiveness of all this constant drama and 'X is a horrible person'. I'm becoming convinced social media should have never fucking happened.

I don't think anyone has called Matt a terrible person here, a coward perhaps for this weak response, and he should engage with the issue and try to understand it which he clearly hasn't, something Azaria has, especially given that Hari Kondabolu cared enough about it all to make a documentary about it.

EDIT: Ok, i take it back, this is a terrible reply:
Klan hood? Seriously? Matt its certainly wrong with how hes handling this issue, and engaging with it poorly, but he still partly responsible for creating a progressive and forward thinking show that pushed many, many boundaries in its time.

Kappa

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ayyyyy rich white people telling non whites to shut up and stay oppressed

Disappointing

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
When you want to pretend to be better than others, is ageism a good idea?
I thought Simpsons told me it was okay to do that

E6TOtND.jpg

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
20 page thread incoming.

I mean Groening isn't wrong but that was a weak response and will only fan the flames Hank Azaria has been trying to diffuse these past weeks and helps no one.

S-Wind

Nov 4, 2017
So Hari and others of Indian descent are just pretending?

Way to Whitesplain, Matt!

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well he's not wrong. Maybe he's wrong about Apu specifically but people do sure love to be outraged nowadays. We have probably at least a thread per day on the new outrage of the day

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

It's just a shitty response to a criticism. If this is enough to wear you down take a break from readimg this stuff. I dom't see how anyone reads that response and is like "what a well thought out rebuttle"

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
As people of color, we are all truly sorry you are inconvenienced by our desire to reduce the use of uncomfortable racial stereotypes that came at our expense for your entertainment.

We hope you guys find the Time Stone and go back to "the good old days" when men were men, women were women, and people of color knew their places.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017

Drama? If people are silent, how do you expect things to change? If we were to rely on people like Greoning to make changes then everything would remain the same.
Minstrel shows didn't just disappear, people had issue with them and things changed. Black actors didn't just stop being relegated to the "three Ps" pimps, pushers, and prostitutes. People had issue with it and it changed.
What do you expect people to do here?

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I'm honestly surprised at all the posts here applauding this response. Perhaps dumb to say, but I expected better from Era.

People love to be offended by those who are offended, and then rally around some prominent hack (for at least a decade now, probably longer) who agrees with them. "brilliant response". The fuck outta here.

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I really don't know why the Simpsons higher ups are trying to pass this issue off as so Black and White, there's very little nuance to their replies on the topic.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People love to say shit like this when they don't have an argument, it's much easier to say "my free speech" or "you are easily offended" than it is to engage with your opponents point. That documentary was super reasonable, yet I'm willing to bet 99% of the people outraged over it didn't watch it

Status
Not open for further replies.