• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Normal battles are never that difficult since you can see (and dodge) enemies on the field and gain the ability teleport back to the leyline.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
wonder if you could use demons for the whole game if you wanted to, since mitama's make that easier. yoshitsune at 45 is cool but i'd like them to be an endgame quality demon too.

Oct 27, 2017
You can keep your eyes on the radar to see if anyone's hiding and with the teleport ability you can easily figure out what kind of line you need to take to get through a crowded area.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about an hour in playing on Normal.

So far this is pretty easy, do normal battles get a bit harder soon? I know bosses rsmp up, but I would like a bit more challenge to basic encounters.

Not far enough yet that starring over would be too bad... if it does get harder then I might stick with it.
You're barely into the game at all

Oct 25, 2017
wonder if you could use demons for the whole game if you wanted to, since mitama's make that easier. yoshitsune at 45 is cool but i'd like them to be an endgame quality demon too.

If it is anything like previous games, the gap in exp per level increases more and more as you get away from the demon's base level. It is one of a handful of mechanics that are key to the planned obsolescence game design, and only the few stuff that does not scale with level (null/reflects, full heals, and buffs/debuffs) combine to drag out a demon's utility.

Daisoujou and Doppelganger were prime examples of breaking the planned obsolescence design.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue early game is probably harder than late game as far as normal encounters go since you don't have a loaded demon squad or any of the good miracles unlocked.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing a town in the form of the Fairy Village was cool. I had wondered if we would get stuff like that other than what's in the "fake" Tokyo and I'm glad we did.
Just wondering how far I'm into the game

just collected the 3 golden apples quest
I just got to starting that quest, and based on what I'm hearing, not even halfway if I understand correctly. Someone that's finished please answer this.

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
Seeing a town in the form of the Fairy Village was cool. I had wondered if we would get stuff like that other than what's in the "fake" Tokyo and I'm glad we did.

I just got to starting that quest, and based on what I'm hearing, not even halfway if I understand correctly. Someone that's finished please answer this.

This is interesting to see I guess lol. I was so sure I was near the end too. Great news tho!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting to see I guess lol. I was so sure I was near the end too. Great news tho!
You're likely maybe in the level 30s at that point, that's where I am (I think my Nahobino is 31 IIRC), you definitely are not close. There's stuff going pretty high if you look at the reverse compendium fusions.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Honestly the level jump from the 3rd area to the 4th is insane. I was like mid 50s coming out of the 3rd area, and then all of a sudden all the bosses are in the 70s and demon mbbs range from 50s to low 70s. Its a huge range, so I assume they want you to grind up a bit. This is on hard mode

DodgeDusk

Oct 25, 2017
Wales, UK
I remember it being asked a while ago in the thread: Andras seems to be a fairly reliable source for farming Chakra Drops. I've noticed I've gotten about 3 or 4 or so in about 7 fights with them? Might just be lucky, mind. My MAG Nahobino is certainly appreciating it though!

rulerk1

Nov 14, 2017
You're likely maybe in the

level 30s at that point, that's where I am (I think my Nahobino is 31 IIRC), you definitely are not close. There's stuff going pretty high if you look at the reverse compendium fusions.

Yeah that's true. I'm actually 37 due to good luck so I was able to fuse that one knight on a horse. I think his name is Elgir or something. I needed to get that high to beat that one demon boss haha

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So how do the stats work? Magic is my dump stat but my Str/Vit/Agi are 20 with Luck remaining at 17.

Edit: Oh motherfucker I totally haven't saved in like an hour and I got thrown into a boss fight fml

As a new player, I'm focusing on Agility, Magic and Strength. I figure Agility is super useful for evading attacks

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Having never played a Shin Megami Tensei game so I'm pretty excited waiting for this to download. As a complete noob is normal the way to go or is hard the sweet spot?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a new player, I'm focusing on Agility, Magic and Strength. I figure Agility is super useful for evading attacks
I'd definitely recommend against both Strength and Magic at the same time. You want to build Nahobino for a role and trying to balance them both will leave you with poor move coverage and lackluster stats in Vitality and Luck.

Having never played a Shin Megami Tensei game so I'm pretty excited waiting for this to download. As a complete noob is normal the way to go or is hard the sweet spot?
Hard is the Deliberate Challenge difficulty this go-around; you can only select it at the start and cannot drop down without losing out on it for the rest of the file.

Start with Normal, but if it proves overbearing drop down to Casual.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Normal is good and has a decent challenge on some of the boss fights (I just got wrecked by a few bosses consecutively like 60-70% through the game lol). Hard is actually hard.

You can try whatever sounds right (they're appropriately named) and change it anytime later if it seems off. The only conceit is that you can't use Hard unless you start there, and you can't go back up to it if you turn it down from there (which is dumb, but it's the way it is).

arimanius

Oct 27, 2017
Hard is the Deliberate Challenge difficulty this go-around; you can only select it at the start and cannot drop down without losing out on it for the rest of the file.

Start with Normal, but if it proves overbearing drop down to Casual.

Normal is good and has a decent challenge on some of the boss fights (I just got wrecked by a few bosses consecutively like 60-70% through the game lol). Hard is actually hard.

You can try whatever sounds right (they're appropriately named) and change it anytime later if it seems off. The only conceit is that you can't use Hard unless you start there, and you can't go back up to it if you turn it down from there (which is dumb, but it's the way it is).

No shame playing in Casual! You can switch back and forth between Normal and Casual if you find it too challenging or want more challenge.

Thanks everyone. I'll start with Normal and drop down to Casual if I need too. :)

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I'm trying to get some other work done, but some of the themes and stuff keep popping into my head a bit and I just had an idea that I'm going to be a little sad if not realized lol.

Given the amount of exposition spent on what a Nahobino is and the definition of "godhood" versus "demons," plus the marketing and in-game stuff about ascending to godhood ("apotheosis," etc.), I'm going to be a bit disappointed if I can't literally use the fusion system to permanently and thoroughly affix Aogami and the protagonist together.

Do it, Atlus, let me fuse the protagonist.

Last edited:

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah that's true. I'm actually 37 due to good luck so I was able to fuse that one knight on a horse. I think his name is Elgir or something. I needed to get that high to beat that one demon boss haha
The SMT series is notable to me in that you probably will finish the game in the 70-80s level range, as opposed to RPGs like Final Fantasy where it's usually like 30-50.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
NEO TWEWY should've gotten a spot even if I didn't end up loving it

Watch cyberpunk win despite everything

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'd definitely recommend against both Strength and Magic at the same time. You want to build Nahobino for a role and trying to balance them both will leave you with poor move coverage and lackluster stats in Vitality and Luck.

hm…I wonder if I'm better off going with strength/agility then since I find myself flat out attacking the most

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I love how you can just tap A quickly to get out of battle screens, there's no annoying waiting around after a fight.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about an hour in playing on Normal.

So far this is pretty easy, do normal battles get a bit harder soon? I know bosses rsmp up, but I would like a bit more challenge to basic encounters.

Not far enough yet that starring over would be too bad... if it does get harder then I might stick with it.
Might as well start on hard and see how far you get before switching it to easier as you can't make it harder on your current run.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Daisoujou doesn't come with Prayer anymore

f94daa046eb98a321a05eadc008e13c3.png

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know what the actual definition or etymology of "nahobino" is? It's not something that comes up in a Japanese dictionary, and trying different ways to break the syllables up doesn't bring up anything useful either. The closest I could find was "naobinokami," which are Japanese gods of restoration/purification of sin, but I have no idea if that's it.

OP
OP
SubvertedTrope
Sep 14, 2018
Does anyone know what the actual definition or etymology of "nahobino" is? It's not something that comes up in a Japanese dictionary, and trying different ways to break the syllables up doesn't bring up anything useful either. The closest I could find was "naobinokami," which are Japanese gods of restoration/purification of sin, but I have no idea if that's it.
Probably just a made up word.