Oct 27, 2017
Just got past that school part and I'm wondering how I ever played Nocturne (not that I beat it)

The first area conditioned me so much to being able to see and initiate every encounter that the few in this section that were "jump scares" stressed me out, then I remember Nocturne had random encounters

Last edited:

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
grinding isn't needed in SMT.
if anything you probably shouldn't be playing on HARD if this is your first SMT.
get used to nulls/resists, and be sure to use items and fuse often.
Yes and no. Levels indeed don't matter so much, but a bit of grinding often is necessary in order to build the right team; recruiting and fusing the demons you want, levelling them up and ensuring they have the right skills and affinities. You won't always have the demons readily available to tackle a bossfight.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Just got past that school part and I'm wondering how I ever played Nocturne (not that I beat it)

The first area conditioned me so much to being able to see and instead every encounter that the few in this section that were "jump scares" stressed me out, then I remember Nocturne had random encounters

As much as I ultimately enjoyed the shift that was definitely the low point of my experience thus far. Encounters that get the drop on you and go first can become a death sentence very easily on Hard and that segment just being full of them made it a chore to go through. I had to warp back to the save and record my progress after pretty much every fight.

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I ultimately enjoyed the shift that was definitely the low point of my experience thus far. Encounters that get the drop on you and go first can become a death sentence very easily on Hard and that segment just being full of them made it a chore to go through. I had to warp back to the save and record my progress after pretty much every fight.
Yeah, that's pretty much how I played it which was annoying. Didn't help that again unlike the first section, the save point had a short loading screen to reach it

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
About 9 hours in and still in the first region. Too fun looking for the Mini Medal demons & other secrets.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Lmao I think I just noticed something

I'm pretty sure Abdiel has exclusively targeted Nahobino with single target attacks. Makes sense story wise, but man is it annoying with Myriad Slashes dealing a fuckload of damage

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I never mind dying in videogames, not even when a game's difficult but getting kicked to the menu screen and having to manually load the save isn't really cool. Just kick me back to the last savepoint because after a dying a couple of times I just call it a day.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly didn't mind that part too much. I think mainly because it wasn't incredibly long and didn't overstay it's welcome.

The whole idea of protecting the students from this active demon attack in this desperate feeling situation was really neat. You just attended this school as a normal student not ten minutes before this happened, which was neat seeing it in a totally different light. There were no random encounters, only the scripted ones by the demons in the hallways. The only real surprises were the students that turned into demons, and the one where you had three fights in a row. There was a Leyline Fount outside, and if you had to warp back every fight or two, no big deal. It's not like you had to dodge enemies coming back. After you save the Jack Frost and he offers you healing, that makes things a lot easier. I played on Hard myself. I didn't really find this to be much of a "dungeon" like you would find in traditional MegaTen games, but I also didn't mind this part, it felt pretty inoffensive to me.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I also preferred IV's approach, if for no other reason than because it was faster. SMT5's story scenes feel outdated because they're slow as hell but also static enough that you'd think they could be formatted so that the player could fast-advance individual lines of dialogue. As it is, I've been sorely tempted to skip 5's cutscenes entirely, even though it's my first playthrough.
I think I agree, the scenes just feel slow and oddly paced. IV's was snappy and felt appropriately paced and better directed overall imo.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That feeling when you gamble on Aramasa getting you a crit, it pays off and your next demon can finish off the boss. So good

Oct 25, 2017
I also preferred IV's approach, if for no other reason than because it was faster. SMT5's story scenes feel outdated because they're slow as hell but also static enough that you'd think they could be formatted so that the player could fast-advance individual lines of dialogue. As it is, I've been sorely tempted to skip 5's cutscenes entirely, even though it's my first playthrough.

I've had to skip a fair number of cutscenes, most when it is two humans talking to each other, and my enjoyment of the game went up considerably. The cutscenes needed dialogue advance. As it is now, that entire aspect of the game feels like a giant step down from Nocturne (skippable dialogue) or DDS (animated scenes that were brief and to the point).

It feels like the game is a return to the general style of those PS2 games, without being helmed by people that were on those teams to make things run faster and flow better. Same with commands popping up for the next turn before the previous animation was fully done. That is one of the main reasons why battles feel so sluggish compared to the previous press turn systems. Instead the player is stuck watching a slow hit reaction animation that didn't lock out menus in previous games.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on it early but Aramasa seems outclassed really quickly. The other STR skill I got that was almighty was fairly useless too. At this point I'm focusing on debuff attacks like fang breaker and relying on beatdown for big hits and they're getting the job done more often than not.

Also is there like, a numerical value for skills like beast eye and bloody glee that boost the chance of hitting or critting? I'm keeping the latter for now but I've always been wary of these skills that don't give the raw data.

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on it early but Aramasa seems outclassed really quickly. The other STR skill I got that was almighty was fairly useless too. At this point I'm focusing on debuff attacks like fang breaker and relying on beatdown for big hits and they're getting the job done more often than not.

Really?

I've got 120str at level 74 and i still can't find anything better than aramasa and wrath tempest, 8 hits means more chance of something critting which is so good. Also Aramasa's damage is equal to that of two Heavy attacks basically. Once I start getting Severe phys damage abilities is when ill ditch it. But I've been flying through everything in the fourth daat.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Any suggestions? I'm having a hell of a time deciding how to build this guy. No one else will have Recarm so that's a lock, I guess.

Demons with high luck and agility are better for status ailments, which means they can be set up to prioritize non-damage stuff like stat buffs/debuffs. I highly suggest giving him hama tho because no matter how powerful you are, when an enemy is weak to light they will be dropped like a bad habit if a Hama spell hits them just right, haha.

If you can, I'd personally replace Poisma with tarunda or rakunda (atk down or def down) using an essence if possible, it would help you out in a boss fight in a bit, as both those things are very helpful.

Speaking of which, a buff/debuff will flash when it will run out the next turn, and you can recast a buff/debuff to reset the timer on it. Plus, before you fight, you can adjust your party to maximize efficiency in a boss fight or encounter by manuvering your characters around to make sure you have someone hitting weakness at the first and second/third slots, so you'll always have the full eight actions as you keep the damage pressure up, and can use some of them for healing or stat stuff or physical moves.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Really?

I've got 120str at level 74 and i still can't find anything better than aramasa and wrath tempest, 8 hits means more chance of something critting which is so good. Also Aramasa's damage is equal to that of two Heavy attacks basically. Once I start getting Severe phys damage abilities is when ill ditch it. But I've been flying through everything in the fourth daat.

Oh no

Ah well. Maybe I'll find a way to get it back. Early on it was just not that great comparatively

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FUCK!!!
Would Tao live if I didn't prioritize saving her friend and chose the other option?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
What are you're opinion on Makajama? Has it been useful? Like on magic-based bosses?

I hate relying on chance skills, so I was going to discard it. But since it came from an Aogami essence, who knows, maybe it becomes OP? I'm guessing it doesn't.

I've had some moderate success with it, but I also have it on some other demons, too. Though sometimes I get lucky and it sticks the first time, and then can't reapply it for the rest of the fight.

It has saved me a few times on Hard for physical-based minibosses/bosses, actually, since it means they can't use their skills that will destroy/crit my entire party with one move. Less worried about magic due to the dampeners/resistances.

Personally I find I don't utilize the status ailments nearly enough, it's worth having a few dangerous ones on a demon with high stats for it, because Accursed Poison, the Raptor/Avian Magatsuhi skill (debilitate effect [-1 to everything for three turns] and guaranteed status ailment), has shown me that the most brutal status ailments can really pack a whallop, especially seal. It can all depend on what the enemy resists of course but it's helpful nonetheless. I'd keep Makajama on a demon just in case it helps, just make sure they have the luck for it, haha.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Wow the scenes after the end of Area 3 are great, probably my favorite section so far(honestly I really like the entirety of area 3, but post area 3 is probably my favorite story-wise)

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
Man, the miracle allowing your demons to use items is the biggest fucking game changer. I'm burning so many of those element gems now, something I usually leave sitting wasted in previous games. So damn good.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the Fiends can give you essences? I anticipate unlocking a miracle that lets me transfer unique skills to Nohobino at some point and Andalusia might be a good one to have

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I'm loving the first Nahobino exclusive magic attack, it's got me glad I went into magic this time around with how it deals roughly 200 damage without any buffs/debuffs present, haha.

Now I just need to level enough to get one of those skills that lets an ally put concentration on someone else and my Nahobino is gonna be in damage city.

Also shoutouts to Chironnupu (or Chironup as it is now?) for basically being the earliest example of Luster Candy, I wanna keep them relevant for a long time cause they are hambonin' me to not dying on Hard for a long time : D

9b572bf3884d58f32b6b263c64ba13798194210e.gifv

Immaculate

Oct 27, 2017
Question about the last boss/cutscene in the 2nd area
During the choice before you start the Lahmu fight I chose to try and save Tao's friend. After I beat the boss though the girl was still possessed by Lahmu and Tao died/vanished after resurrecting me. It's probably not the case but if I chose the other option would that cutscene have played out differently?

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I'm loving the first Nahobino exclusive magic attack, it's got me glad I went into magic this time around with how it deals roughly 200 damage without any buffs/debuffs present, haha.

Now I just need to level enough to get one of those skills that lets an ally put concentration on someone else and my Nahobino is gonna be in damage city.

Also shoutouts to Chironnupu (or Chironup as it is now?) for basically being the earliest example of Luster Candy, I wanna keep them relevant for a long time cause they are hambonin' me to not dying on Hard for a long time : D

9b572bf3884d58f32b6b263c64ba13798194210e.gifv
Yeah he's great, I kept him into the mid-late thirties because of how good his unique skill is

cdudeachyut

Jun 4, 2021
Brave Blade with Murderous Glee and High Restore is killing it on my Str + Luck build while barely using any MP. Murakumo is also insane with the critical Magatsuhi skill.

The toughest boss in this game yet is the abscess boss team of level 99 Onmoraki, Preta, Slime and Pixie lmao. Took me three tries at level 62 and some Sleep and Seal gems.

Trigger