Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
This has to happen. Time to put money in people's pockets rather than corporations and the stock market.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are going to run to the left of a prospective nominee who has a storied history of trying to cut social welfare. You were warned after the last time.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, that makes no sense. Unemployment is about 2x this amount per month, and if they give you this and reduce your unemployment by half then you really cant consider this a stimulus, kinda makes it pointless.
?? unemployment is variable, so $2000 is not for everyone. someone making entry level, $30k/ year would be getting like $300/wk or ~$1200

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
My company has started to wind down non essential operations. My job is pretty essential so I'm sure I'll keep going in, but obviously if I get so much as a cold I'll have to stay home. I'm in a lucky position that my girlfriend makes enough to support us both and can work from home indefinitely, but another $2k would certainly help us continue to put money into the economy that we might not if my income stopped.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He is going to cut a big Trump check and people are going to vote for him.

"Lets give the voter money"

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that makes no sense. Unemployment is about 2x this amount per month, and if they give you this and reduce your unemployment by half then you really cant consider this a stimulus, kinda makes it pointless.

Posts like these make me realize that people have no clue what unemployment is or how it works.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Republicans are going to run to the left of a prospective nominee who has a storied history of trying to cut social welfare. You were warned after the last time.
Dude they were just about to cut SNAP for a bunch of people until a judge put an injunction on it Friday.

www.npr.org

Judge Blocks Rule That Would Have Kicked 700,000 People Off SNAP

The rule, which was to take effect April 1, would have tightened work requirements for some food stamp recipients. But a judge said flexibility in food aid is needed amid a pandemic.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I can't wait until Florida is underwater and then the government will finally do something about Climate Change

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Dude they were just about to cut SNAP for a bunch of people until a judge put an injunction on it Friday.

www.npr.org

Judge Blocks Rule That Would Have Kicked 700,000 People Off SNAP

The rule, which was to take effect April 1, would have tightened work requirements for some food stamp recipients. But a judge said flexibility in food aid is needed amid a pandemic.
You gotta imagine Republican lawmakers are constantly having a laugh at how much they can destroy their own voters' lives yet not lose any votes.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
Cant buy and bankrupt businesses if people arent spending money in them.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
1000 isn't enough but it's a start. So much money wasted already, this should have been the first thing to happen.

data

Oct 25, 2017
It's a start. I would hope this would bring about the first steps for universal basic income

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
This happened under Little Bush. I remember getting like $650. I can see it happening again.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
What're y'all gonna buy with your Tricky Don Fun Bill? Talking tattoo? Bamboo Boogie Boots? 1000 cups of coffee?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know he can't. But he will and many people will believe it. Are you saying rampant disgusting hypocrisy has stopped him before? The soundbites are low hanging fruit.
Yes, there's a difference. People thought Trump was the "moderate option" in 2016. That is not true now.

Also it's basically irrelevant if we're in GWB 05->08 speedrun territory, which we are.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This'll get turned into a loan at 6.8% and will be considered taxable income as well.

opiumtrader

Jun 29, 2018
Everybody wants free money but if they want to instill some confidence in the economy they should give Americans free testing for the Coronavirus.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
People are shitting on this, but $1000 per every 18+ member of my household is rent, power, and water covered for 3 months. That's a major help right now with what's going on.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Everybody wants free money but if they want to instill some confidence in the economy they should give Americans free testing for the Coronavirus.
About that...
www.newsweek.com

Senate May Not Pass Coronavirus Paid Sick Leave Anytime Soon. Here's Why

"We shouldn't be imposing a big, new federal mandate on businesses that are struggling to stay alive in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak," GOP Senator Lamar Alexander said last week.
Although the bill, which includes requiring certain companies to provide paid sick leave and the government to give free virus testing and food aid, was supported by the majority of House Republicans and received the backing of President Donald Trump, hurdles remain with Senate Republicans.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
As some posts here caught on, UBI is the thing we gotta do, and we have to be careful on how we do it, and sadly in the case of American politics, what conservatives argue when they talk for it.

A true UBI is unconditional. This means we do not annex any other service. In this climate nobody is proposing UBI to be permanent - it should be, but we can begin talks about that after this crisis - so anybody saying we do UBI and take the money from X program is being an advantageous shitheel. Expect this from Republicans most of all.

It will have to be over a period of months, not one month, not one payment. The best argument I've heard is from UBI opponent Jason Furman. $2,000 per month for one adult, $1,000 per month per child, on a three month program. We look back at it in three months, to see where we are in relation to the virus and any potential return to a normal economy thereafter.

Our obstacle right now, and I highlighted it more than once by now, is literally the Republican party. That's it. They don't realize how bad this crisis is looming to be, so there's already a sort of time-delay based on responding to it. Then there's the concerns that they'll only cave on this if it comes with conditions. The worst case scenario is they make UBI what the UK made Universal Credit to be, which was a program that replaced all other programs, which meant people were worse off, and it offered less money than those who were already on benefits. If we're seeing how only a quarter of the working population might get paid sick leave through the GOP, we have to consider how they'll be pieces of shit here and neuter this to high hell, too.

The plus side amongst this crisis is it appears to be moving the overton window on policies to the left. UBI and M4A only garner more support in a time like this.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
$1000 would be life changing for me. Even when I do have work $1000 is more then I earn in a month. I'll be out of work for months due to all of this too so even a single $1000 would be lifechanging.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
People are shitting on this, but $1000 per every 18+ member of my household is rent, power, and water covered for 3 months. That's a major help right now with what's going on.

I'm not shitting on it now or when Yang proposed it. 1K a month would be helpful to Americans during this outbreak.

but for a long term UBI, 1k per month ain't cutting it. Start at 2k per month and we can talk. That's where people should be aiming.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About that...
www.newsweek.com

Senate May Not Pass Coronavirus Paid Sick Leave Anytime Soon. Here's Why

"We shouldn't be imposing a big, new federal mandate on businesses that are struggling to stay alive in the midst of the coronavirus outbreak," GOP Senator Lamar Alexander said last week.

There is no point in pretending the Senate GOP has any agency. If Trump wants it passed, it will pass. That said, it is a good display of the naivete people are showing in the other thread where people think that Democrats can force whatever they want through and are to blame for any deficiencies in the bill

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This needs to happen and it needs to happen again next month and again the following month and it should continue until people of all sectors can go back to work normally.

If instead the response is to bail out the industries, there should be riots.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not shitting on it now or when Yang proposed it. 1K a month would be helpful to Americans during this outbreak.

but for a long term UBI, 1k per month ain't cutting it. Start at 2k per month and we can talk. That's where people should be aiming.

romney isn't proposing a monthly stipend. It's a one time check.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Posts like these make me realize that people have no clue what unemployment is or how it works.
I get how it works, was just on it. In my case in NY i earned enough while working to get the maximum when i opened my claim. Yeah some wont make the max.
End of the day my point is if you make the max or somewhere in between whats the benefit of taking the $1000 stimulus away from someones unemployment.