GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Edit - My mistake, I put a month in the thread title. It is not $1,000 a month.

twitter.com

Phil Mattingly on Twitter

“Among @MittRomney’s Coronavirus response proposals: “immediately send $1,000 checks to each American” adult”

Original OP:

twitter.com

Jonathan Martin on Twitter

“NEW from @MittRomney: “Every American adult should immediately receive $1,000 to help ensure families and workers can meet their short-term obligations and increase spending in the economy.””

twitter.com

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter

“GOP & Democrats are both coming to the same conclusion: Universal Basic Income is going to have to play a role in helping Americans weather this crisis. @RoKhanna & @TimRyan’s proposal goes up to $6,000/mo depending on need. Mitt Romney just came out for a flat $1,000 universal...

twitter.com

Thomas Burr on Twitter

“.@SenatorRomney proposes giving every adult American $1,000 a month during the coronavirus outbreak”

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is definitely a good idea, but it's weird that a Republican would ever advocate for UBI, even if only temporarily in this type of crisis

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I Hope about this outbreak is that it enrages Americans to increase support for paid sick and family leave, UBI, and M4A. It's exactly the kind of crisis that forces people to get upset: it's terrifying and inconveniences the hell out of people.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean this is definitely a good idea, but it's weird that a Republican would ever advocate for UBI, even if only temporarily in this type of crisis
We literally did that during '01 and '08 under Bush. It's become a normal stimulus response during a recession.

The difference is that this is an abnormal recession and is going to require an abnormally large stimulus relative to the last times.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I somehow doubt this is feasible. Unless I misunderstood something, that's hundreds of billions of dollars handed out each month?

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The one thing I Hope about this outbreak is that it enrages Americans to increase support for paid sick and family leave, UBI, and M4A. It's exactly the kind of crisis that forces people to get upset: it's terrifying and inconveniences the hell out of people.
yeah it sucks this whole thing is happening, but hopefully if it's going to happen anyways we as a society can learn from it and improve for the future

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017

I think that's why the GOP pushed back so hard against it. Like the ACA they know once people get it they won't want to give it up.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Also I assume there would be realistic limits to this - like someone making millions of dollars shouldn't be receiving a check in the mail for this.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
This is something that's a nice thing to say knowing full well it will go nowhere.

HazySaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
West Yorkshire, UK
giphy.gif

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
*Andrew Yang has entered the chat*

i'm starting to suspect mitt is playing for the wrong side

The world we live in is that any somewhat moderate Republican (Romney, Weld) or true fiscal conservative (Amash) looks like a Democrat.

That it took the current crises for half of America to finally start seriously discussing socialized medicine and financial safety nets is a blessing and a curse. Our current system system simply isn't built to handle this without massive layoffs, evictions, foreclosures, and bankruptcies.

Deleted member 179

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this actually happens I feel like it'll be difficult for them to strip it away once the outbreak is over. This may be our way to UBI.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Make it permanent so we don't have to worry about crises like these.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
How did the Bush stimulus checks work? Could you get it if you had a job already? Were there multiple checks?

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think Mitt just says whatever leftist thing he thinks has no chance of actually happening.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What about me?!

I live in America and work at a Nashville hospital but am not a citizen....

I need money for toilet paper and hand sanitizer dammit!

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People in favor of this baby UBI:

Andrew Yang
Tulsi Gabbard
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Mitt Romney

2020 is wild

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
fiscal stimulus is the only tool the government has left to soften the blow. this is a good move and should be celebrated

edit:
actually no, people are just gonna save it. if the intention is to soften the fall then government needs to spend spend spend

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Romney's not proposing $1K/month flat, he's proposing $1K followed by playing it by ear (which isn't unreasonable.)

This is again, cash stimulus, not UBI. We've done it before.

Deleted member 171

Oct 25, 2017
It's a targeted tax rebate for Mitt. If you keep fighting the logic, then maybe.....

Deleted member 2254

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is supposed to go back into the economy when we spend. Although, most of it will likely just go straight to Wal Mart.

Yeah, that's true. It just sounds a bit too good to be true, especially from the Republicans. And it especially sounds somewhat egregious considering that here in Italy some of the workers (those who are forced to stay in as opposed to being able to stay at home) are about to get a 100 Euros bonus per month. That's quite a lot less than 1000 dollars even adjusting for taxes, wage medians, life costs and whatnot, and the proposition says every adult American, which is a huge percentage of the population.

Very happy for you US folks if it happens but as it stands it sounds a bit too much to believe.