Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What would happen if the EU/America made a stand, like shifted some tanks and stuff into Ukraine. I know there is fear of escalation but it goes both ways, Russia isn't responding to anything else. I imagine Russia would probably use it as propaganda that US and Europe are expanding and threatening towards Russia so plays into their hands. Damned if you do, damned if you don't isn't it?
There would be an escalation. The Russians would respond in kind, and start massing tanks, soldiers, and other materials on the border.

We don't want that. Now is the time for intense diplomacy.

Having said that I do believe we should make the Ukraine a member of NATO. I would definitely piss off the Russians. But, to hell with them.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
According to this independent polling firm, 67.
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/arti...putins-approval-ratings-are-declining-sharply
While a US president would salivate for those numbers, considering Putin had a high of fucking 98, that's pretty bad.

I'm genuinely shocked. Explains this whole thing... Literally, every time his approval get's close to 60 he starts international conflict.

Sadsic

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I can't think of the losses of civilian life attributed to the Iraq invasion or that in Afghanistan that compares to an action of Russia.

The first and second wars.in Chechnya are about as close as that gets.

What about the targeting of males of 13 and above under the Obama administration, labelling them combatants to hide the fact they murdered innocent people with a terrorist weapon class.

Israel is current day, Afghanistan and Iraq are still ongoing.
What trump's killing over 100,000 people in an instant with nuclear weapons?

They back the despotic Syrian Regime right now lol

and they had their own Afghan War too

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
There would be an escalation. The Russians would respond in kind, and start massing tanks, soldiers, and other materials on the border.

We don't want that. Now is the time for intense diplomacy.

Having said that I do believe we should make the Ukraine a member of NATO. I would definitely piss off the Russians. But, to hell with them.
US and EU could easily take Russia down with sanctions. That would have high cost (especially to Germany), but in long run EU would be so much safer...

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Ukraine feels like a country that will always be permanently pulled by Russia, because of geography and history. Making them a NATO member would excerbate issues both with Russia, and would make us liable to defend the country and push against Russia in their perpetual and repeated incursions.

Encore

Nov 29, 2017
https://www.foreignaffairs.com/arti...putins-approval-ratings-are-declining-sharply
While a US president would salivate for those numbers, considering Putin had a high of fucking 98, that's pretty bad.

Well, it doesn't really matter. It's not like people in Russia can vote him out, or topple his regime through a protest. And I'm more than sure that this little stunt in Azov Sea will push his approval rating back to the eighties. Russkies like when they have "enemies" they can bully.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure (or at least hope) that Poroshenko sent the ships expecting Russia to react the way the did, to send a message to the EU and US: "hey, you know what? We are still here, trying to defend ourselves from a reincarnated Soviet Union".

God knows, the EU needs to be constantly reminded of that.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I would say that most of Ukrainians gave up on Crimea long time ago. I mean no one really felt strongly about it to begin with. The issue there is that Ukraine needs to pretend like it gives a shit because everyone will literally forget how fucking scary Russia is. (Some would argue that everyone forgot anyway)
There is no pretending, no sovereign country can afford give away parts of its territory to foreign aggression and annexation.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
From the article:

"In a July 2018 Levada poll, 40 percent of Russians said they believed that Russia was heading in the wrong direction, up from 26 percent in April immediately after the presidential election."

That's even crazier. Are Russians finally waking up?

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
I actually listened to the call: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV9J6sxCs5k

A diplomat having private disagreement? Wow, diabolical.

You've got to be kidding me. What were the actions they discussed? Having meetings with the people involved! As diplomats do! They weren't talking about hacking into political opponents or waging social media psyops campaigns, or clandestine military ops. They were talking about doing their jobs as diplomats -- diplomacy.

Maybe if you REALLY wanted to check what's going on you would have check who Victoria Nuland is ( and her husband... Just saying... ). But I won't do it for you. You don't wanna know, fine. But don't tell me there is nothing when you haven't taken the time to look deeper.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Well, it doesn't really matter. It's not like people in Russia can vote him out, or topple his regime through a protest. And I'm more than sure that this little stunt in Azov Sea will push his approval rating back to the eighties. Russkies like when they have "enemies" they can bully.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure (or at least hope) that Poroshenko sent the ships expecting Russia to react the way the did, to send a message to the EU and US: "hey, you know what? We are still here, trying to defend ourselves from a reincarnated Soviet Union".

God knows, the EU needs to be constantly reminded of that.
It doesn't matter if you are a sane democratic leader, but for paranoid dictators 67% is getting close to death sentence.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
US and EU could easily take Russia down with sanctions. That would have high cost (especially to Germany), but in long run EU would be so much safer...
You make a great point. I feel if the US, as well as other countries, could supplement what Russia now gives to Germany they would be in a much better position.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Ukraine feels like a country that will always be permanently pulled by Russia, because of geography and history. Making them a NATO member would excerbate issues both with Russia, and would make us liable to defend the country and push against Russia in their perpetual and repeated incursions.
Everything is a goalpost. It used to be Poland in the past. To say the least it's kind of shitty of the EU to sacrifice Ukraine just so they can live peacefully for 20 years or so. Poland will be next.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
I would say that most of Ukrainians gave up on Crimea long time ago. I mean no one really felt strongly about it to begin with. The issue there is that Ukraine needs to pretend like it gives a shit because everyone will literally forget how fucking scary Russia is. (Some would argue that everyone forgot anyway)

Such a sad state of affairs. Other bordering countries such back Ukrainian claims as theirs since Russia could try the same with them.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Everything is a goalpost. It used to be Poland in the past. To say the least it's kind of shitty of the EU to sacrifice Ukraine just so they can live peacefully for 20 years or so. Poland will be next.

I would argue that Ukraine is far more vulnerable than Poland, but your point stands. The reality is that nobody in the U.S. or EU wants to expend blood or treasure for countries that have been in the Russian sphere of influence. We couldn't even manage Syria or the humanitarian crisis in Yemen. I have no confidence regarding a military approach in Ukraine, and any such incursion would be a giant disaster.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
There is no pretending, no sovereign country can afford give away parts of its territory to foreign aggression and annexation.
Economy is still a factor. No matter how much Russia is fucking over Ukraine, the politics within Ukraine will be tough. All this shit is having a huge impact on the income and corruption is not helping.

Russia lost direct influence over Ukraine, no one believes them, but now they have a shitload of proxy politicians and internet trolls that partially govern Ukraine.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I would argue that Ukraine is far more vulnerable than Poland, but your point stands. The reality is that nobody in the U.S. or EU wants to expend blood or treasure for countries that have been in the Russian sphere of influence. We couldn't even manage Syria or the humanitarian crisis in Yemen. I have no confidence regarding a military approach in Ukraine, and any such incursion would be a giant disaster.
I mean even Ukraine is against military approach. But with sanctions Russia can be crippled easily. Russia is very much integrated in EU economy. And Russian economy is relatively small (last time I checked it was the size of Italy's)

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I mean even Ukraine is against military approach. But with sanctions Russia can be crippled easily. Russia is very much integrated in EU economy. And Russian economy is relatively small (last time I checked it was the size of Italy's)

I am not particularly convinced of the argument that sanctions would be "easy," and I think people underestimate how sanctions are limited in changing governments. Also, you are talking about the EU risking a huge percentage of their oil and energy sources, and that isn't going to happen. You can expect Russia to slap retaliatory sanctions, a massive increase of ships and military jet excursions over Europe, and standing on a needle with the risk of further confrontation. The Europeans were limited when Eastern Ukraine was being gobbled by Putin. They will not risk a further entanglement now.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if you REALLY wanted to check what's going on you would have check who Victoria Nuland is ( and her husband... Just saying... ). But I won't do it for you. You don't wanna know, fine. But don't tell me there is nothing when you haven't taken the time to look deeper.
Why don't you tell us who she is then?

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I am not particularly convinced of the argument that sanctions would be "easy," and I think people underestimate how sanctions are limited in changing governments. Also, you are talking about the EU risking a huge percentage of their oil and energy sources, and that isn't going to happen. You can expect Russia to slap retaliatory sanctions, a massive increase of ships and military jet excursions over Europe, and standing on a needle with the risk of further confrontation. The Europeans were limited when Eastern Ukraine was being gobbled by Putin. They will not risk a further entanglement now.
Ever heard of Gazprom? As much as Russia wants to be Soviet Union, its not. It's easy to see where Putin gets his money from. Sure there will be cost (especially for Germany), but in long run EU will be much safer. Plus it's one of those cases where technically opposition in Russia does exist and it's not populist opposition. Sure, Putin has them under control now, but I don't think he is insane enough to start executing them en masses when shit hits the fan.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Check here : https://www.google.es/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBREA1601G20140207

Just an example. This made big news and both Americans and Europeans were embarrassed. Could you imagine a US Assistant Secretary discussing who should be in the Ukraine government ? I think it speaks volume on what the Americans do behind the scenes...
I don't know where you are from, but it should be telling that this is the WORST Russia was able to dig up. Don't you find it telling? I mean there are tapes from yesterday that are more telling than this (recordings of FSB capturing Ukrainian soldiers).

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Why don't you tell us who she is then?

I've already posted a link with an article detailing who is she and the incident. But here is who is she in a nutshell.

She was the assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian Affairs back in 2014. And she was caught up in notorious incident, a conversation where she was dismissing a candidate to the Ukrainian government - Vitaly Klitshko ( ex boxing heavyweight world champion ) - and the European Union. That incident gave ammunitions to people suspecting the US being behind the Ukrainian opposition.

By the way, Victoria Nuland husband, Robert Kagan, one of the architect of the Project for the New American Century, a neocon Think Tank that preaches american Interventionism.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I've already posted a link with an article detailing who is she and the incident. But here is who is she in a nutshell.

She was the assistant secretary of state for European and Eurasian Affairs back in 2014. And she was caught up in notorious incident, a conversation where she was dismissing a candidate to the Ukrainian government - Vitaly Klitshko ( ex boxing heavyweight world champion ) - and the European Union. That incident gave ammunitions to people suspecting the US being behind the Ukrainian opposition.

By the way, Victoria Nuland husband, Robert Kagan, one of the architect of the Project for the New American Century, a neocon Think Tank that preaches american Interventionism.

Really? Because you made it sound like it's far more than that in your post. Because I did google her and didn't really see anything all that crazy, outside of conspiracy theory stuff. Frankly, she doesn't seem like much of a boogeyman. Just a state department staffer whose phone call got tapped.

EDIT: Wait, she dismissed him? As in fired him?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
There's no "backing of Ukrainian claims", the only countries that have recognized the results of the 2014 referendum in Crimea are Afghanistan, Cuba, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Kyrgyzstan, Nicaragua, Sudan, Syria, and Zimbabwe. Everyone else recognizes Ukraine's pre-2014 borders.

Yep you are correct. I meant to always be supportive of Ukraine and they have right now.
Such a sad state of affairs that Nicaragua is involved with that. Such a beautiful country under the rule of an complete idiot.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Not one word from Trump on this. Not surprising. The Russians have at least 2 years to annex the Ukraine.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018

Do you speak English? I mean I see how Russia is using this propaganda by mistranslating it, but you can hear what is on the tape and you still choose to be ignorant? I mean even IF it's true and US picked Ukrainian government (who did they pick again?) they still managed NOT to INVADE THE NEIGHBOR AND KILL THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE! How freaking forgiving can you be?!

If you choose to believe in conspiracy theories, why stop here? Maybe the whole things is staged? Maybe there's a world government that picked both Putin and Trump. If you choose to believe insane shit like that you can't pick and choose what you believe.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Really? Because you made it sound like it's far more than that in your post. Frankly, she doesn't seem like much of a boogeyman. Just a state department staffer whose phone call got tapped.

I think a Assistant Secratary of State is more than a staffer... And I never said she was a boogeyman. I said the US are involved in the background in the Ukrainian affairs. It's hardly a surprise when her husband is at the origin of a doctrin pushing for more Americain interventionism in the World.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I think a Assistant Secratary of State is more than a staffer... And I never said she was a boogeyman. I said the US are involved in the background in the Ukrainian affairs. It's hardly a surprise when her husband is at the origin of a doctrin pushing for more Americain interventionism in the World.
You are really trying to play all sides here. "US are involved in the background in the Ukrainian affairs" doesn't really sound that bad. You can literally replace US and Ukraine in that sentence with anything and it could possibly be true. "Spain is involved in the background in the Portuguese affairs". That said, you seem to be implying something much worse without providing any proof whatsoever.

So which one is it? Did US rig Ukrainian elections? If you go into conspiracy shit, could you at least be open about it?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Ever heard of Gazprom? As much as Russia wants to be Soviet Union, its not. It's easy to see where Putin gets his money from. Sure there will be cost (especially for Germany), but in long run EU will be much safer. Plus it's one of those cases where technically opposition in Russia does exist and it's not populist opposition. Sure, Putin has them under control now, but I don't think he is insane enough to start executing them en masses when shit hits the fan.

I am more than aware of Gazprom, and the entire existence of crony companies that rose up in the rubble of the Soviet Union from the 90s onward. You are making a sweeping statement about how "easy" it will be to sanction Russia, assuming a happy ending for all. Had that ever been the case, the EU might have considered it ages ago. As it stands, there are substantial risks for the long-term stability of the EU. People have been underestimating Putin for decades, and continually get bitten in the asses for it. Putin has established a political system and economic base largely surrounded by himself and his associates both inside and outside of the Kremlin. You think Russia will just transition to a peaceful nation if Putin is removed from office? I find that to be as naive as those who wanted Assad removed from Syria without a plan for after, or those to thought removing Gadaffi would lead to a more stable Libya. Sanctions are not going to fix an entranced leader who has a large support base amongst the Russian populace, a large and formidable military, and nuclear weapons. You also are woefully mistaken if you think all of Europe is going to be united against Russia if a potential economic tit-for-tat expands to a simmering military confrontation. Nobody in Europe will be safer with a Vladimir Putin pushed against a wall, potentially making incursions toward the Baltic states and testing the very foundations of NATO as an alliance. Not Obama, not Merkel, not Macron or any other leader is going to risk exploding the current political establishment over Ukraine. No one is going to gamble on a possible Russian implosion. Hell, I am a bit cynical but I even doubt NATO would immediately respond to incursions toward more eastern members of NATO. I want nothing but a free and independent Ukraine, but our current political climate has taxed the willingness of any major nation to blow up the status quo.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are really trying to play all sides here. "US are involved in the background in the Ukrainian affairs" doesn't really sound that bad. You can literally replace US and Ukraine in that sentence with anything and it could possibly be true. "Spain is involved in the background in the Portuguese affairs". That said, you seem to be implying something much worse without providing any proof whatsoever.

So which one is it? Did US rig Ukrainian elections? If you go into conspiracy shit, could you at least be open about it?
They've been open about it since they started posting in the thread. Literally everything that brings up the US is a conspiratorial derail designed to muddy the waters and get people to ignore that Russia's a predatory aggressor.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I am more than aware of Gazprom, and the entire existence of crony companies that rose up in the rubble of the Soviet Union from the 90s onward. You are making a sweeping statement about how "easy" it will be to sanction Russia, assuming a happy ending for all. Had that ever been the case, the EU might have considered it ages ago. As it stands, there are substantial risks for the long-term stability of the EU. People have been underestimating Putin for decades, and continually get bitten in the asses for it. Putin has established a political system and economic base largely surrounded by himself and his associates both inside and outside of the Kremlin. You think Russia will just transition to a peaceful nation if Putin is removed from office? I find that to be as naive as those who wanted Assad removed from Syria without a plan for after, or those to thought removing Gadaffi would lead to a more stable Libya. Sanctions are not going to fix an entranced leader who has a large support base amongst the Russian populace, a large and formidable military, and nuclear weapons. You also are woefully mistaken if you think all of Europe is going to be united against Russia if a potential economic tit-for-tat expands to a simmering military confrontation. Nobody in Europe will be safer with a Vladimir Putin pushed against a wall, potentially making incursions toward the Baltic states and testing the very foundations of NATO as an alliance. Not Obama, not Merkel, not Macron or any other leader is going to risk exploding the current political establishment over Ukraine. No one is going to gamble on a possible Russian implosion. Hell, I am a bit cynical but I even doubt NATO would immediately respond to incursions toward more eastern members of NATO. I want nothing but a free and independent Ukraine, but our current political climate has taxed the willingness of any major nation to blow up the status quo.
I think one mistake you are making there is assuming that Russian population is isolated now. Big cities in Russia are no different than what you have in Europe. They play video games, they go to the restaurants, they watch sports. I think that's the major difference vs what Soviet Union was. Simple shit, like making it difficult to access Steam in Russia would have a huge impact on young people. Right now they are enjoying all the benefits of being part of European economy and they HATE Europe at the same time because of propaganda.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Do you speak English? I mean I see how Russia is using this propaganda by mistranslating it, but you can hear what is on the tape and you still choose to be ignorant? I mean even IF it's true and US picked Ukrainian government (who did they pick again?) they still managed NOT to INVADE THE NEIGHBOR AND KILL THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE! How freaking forgiving can you be?!

If you choose to believe in conspiracy theories, why stop here? Maybe the whole things is staged? Maybe there's a world government that picked both Putin and Trump. If you choose to believe insane shit like that you can't pick and choose what you believe.

Did you read my posts ? How many times should I say that I do not support Russia for god sake ! Putin doesn't care about human rights, something I strongly believe in.

I guess you Ukrainian by your name. Look, I'm not in your shoes with a superpower on my door step who could threathen your country sovereignty even further. I do not wish that situation or feeling to ANYBODY.

I'm just talking geopolitics here. And the nefarious games the US and Russia are engaged in, not only in Ukraine, but in Syria. Unfortunately this is like a new kind war. It's not a Cold War, it's different. I guess historians will find a name.

And about propaganda, yes Russia is doing propangada. No question about it, but the links I posted were for example for Foreign Affairs. And I mentionned the Post or the New Yorker, hardly mediums of russian propangada... And keep in mind all sides are engaged in propaganda ( or Spin as it nicely called in the west ). So you need to dig to find your own info. So I always use various news sources.

JustinP

Oct 25, 2017
She also met with Russian, Romanian, and Greek officials (I'm sure plenty more) about Ukraine. And countless other issues. Because she's a diplomat and does diplomacy.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Did you read my posts ? How many times should I say that I do not support Russia for god sake ! Putin doesn't care about human rights, something I strongly believe in.

I guess you Ukrainian by your name. Look, I'm not in your shoes with a superpower on my door step who could threathen your country sovereignty even further. I do not wish that situation or feeling to ANYBODY.

I'm just talking geopolitics here. And the nefarious games the US and Russia are engaged in, not only in Ukraine, but in Syria. Unfortunately this is like a new kind war. It's not a Cold War, it's different. I guess historians will find a name.

And about propaganda, yes Russia is doing propangada. No question about it, but the links I posted were for example for Foreign Affairs. And I mentionned the Post or the New Yorker, hardly mediums of russian propangada... And keep in mind all sides are engaged in propaganda. So you need to dig to find your own info. So I always use various news sources.
But you can't pick an choose. Putin is openly giving out medals to soldiers for capturing Crimea while that phone call discussing politics is the worst thing you can find for the US.

So, sure, maybe there's some shit happening in a background. But as of now it's a conspiracy theory while Putin is literally acknowledging the shit he has done. It's not the same.

Syria seems to be even more complex so I'm not even going to get into that issue. But on Ukraine everything is quite simple. If US is doing something notorious in Ukraine they are REALLY good at hiding it.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

And about propaganda, yes Russia is doing propangada. No question about it, but the links I posted were for example for Foreign Affairs. And I mentionned the Post or the New Yorker, hardly mediums of russian propangada... And keep in mind all sides are engaged in propaganda ( or Spin as it nicely called in the west ). So you need to dig to find your own info. So I always use various news sources.
So why don't you link to whatever the US is doing over there, using one of those sources you like to say we should use? Because this is what I found, and it seems like there isn't much, if any, real interference. https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...7626c5ef5fb_story.html?utm_term=.bbf94ca2d453

She gave a couple of suggestions, then nothing came of any of it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"US: Ukraine is a sovereign nation" vs "Russia: lol no they're ours"

is not a "nefarious game" the US is secretly involved in.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I think one mistake you are making there is assuming that Russian population is isolated now. Big cities in Russia are no different than what you have in Europe. They play video games, they go to the restaurants, they watch sports. I think that's the major difference vs what Soviet Union was. Simple shit, like making it difficult to access Steam in Russia would have a huge impact on young people. Right now they are enjoying all the benefits of being part of European economy and they HATE Europe at the same time because of propaganda.

I don't doubt that Russians engage in many of the same activities as we do in the West. What I am doubting is the cultural closeness you and a lot of people are assuming about everyday Russians. Simply taking your example, you mentioned video games and Steam. All of which are associated with young people, who do not have the political capital and influence of middle-age Russians, pensioners and seniors. There is a cultural divide in Russia between those born in the Soviet Union, and those who born either in the early stages of the Russian Federation chaos or long after. Vladimir Putin has managed to be handsomely elected time and time again. Does that sound like a leader who is being rejected by the majority of his populace? No. Perhaps younger people, but they are unreliable as consistent voters and don't have the political capital that Putin grabs from the large swath of Russia. The problem is that everyone assumes that Russia is just waiting for some to bring democracy and "freedom" to their nation, ignoring the complicated cultural and political attitudes that makes Russia different from the rest of Europe. An authoritarian and strongman like Putin could get elected in Russia in a way he could never get elected in Western Europe because he is in Russia. Even among those who dislike Putin, there has never been a credible alternative that can convince people to turn away and abandon Putin. Alexei Navalny had his appeal die substantially, and people like him rise and fail every election cycle. On top of his problematic issues on numerous issues like Ukraine. The West assumed he was the "savior" needed, ignoring that he is a Russian first and foremost. He will serve his country's interest long before looking at the West, and Putin will use that idea of "togetherness" to maintain his position of power. Putin will use the "victim complex" to rally his support against an overt move against his government, and "Russia" as a whole. Could he do that indefinitely if sanctioned and pressured? Not likely, but as I have stated before, nobody is going to risk going down that road. The EU and U.S. will maintain that fragile peace for as long as it can.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I don't doubt that Russians engage in many of the same activities as we do in the West. What I am doubting is the cultural closeness you and a lot of people are assuming about everyday Russians. Simply taking your example, you mentioned video games and Steam. All of which are associated with young people, who do not have the political capital and influence of middle-age Russians, pensioners and seniors. There is a cultural divide in Russia between those born in the Soviet Union, and those who born either in the early stages of the Russian Federation chaos or long after. Vladimir Putin has managed to be handsomely elected time and time again. Does that sound like a leader who is being rejected by the majority of his populace? No. Perhaps younger people, but they are unreliable as consistent voters and don't have the political capital that Putin grabs from the large swath of Russia. The problem is that everyone assumes that Russia is just waiting for some to bring democracy and "freedom" to their nation, ignoring the complicated cultural and political attitudes that makes Russia different from the rest of Europe. An authoritarian and strongman like Putin could get elected in Russia in a way he could never get elected in Western Europe because he is in Russia. Even among those who dislike Putin, there has never been a credible alternative that can convince people to turn away and abandon Putin. Alexei Navalny had his appeal die substantially, and people like him rise and fail every election cycle. On top of his problematic issues on numerous issues like Ukraine. The West assumed he was the "savior" needed, ignoring that he is a Russian first and foremost. He will serve his country's interest long before looking at the West, and Putin will use that idea of "togetherness" to maintain his position of power. Putin will use the "victim complex" to rally his support against an overt move against his government, and "Russia" as a whole. Could he do that indefinitely if sanctioned and pressured? Not likely, but as I have stated before, nobody is going to risk going down that road. The EU and U.S. will maintain that fragile peace for as long as it can.
The crazy part is that even young people keep saying that Soviet Union was great... Propaganda is hell of a drug! So if EU even slightly showed those young people what Soviet Union was like, they would immediately pick video games over Putin.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
But you can't pick an choose. Putin is openly giving out medals to soldiers for capturing Crimea while that phone call discussing politics is the worst thing you can find for the US.

So, sure, maybe there's some shit happening in a background. But as of now it's a conspiracy theory while Putin is literally acknowledging the shit he has done. It's not the same.

Syria seems to be even more complex so I'm not even going to get into that issue. But on Ukraine everything is quite simple. If US is doing something notorious in Ukraine they are REALLY good at hiding it.

It's no conspiracy theory that Project for a New American Century is a real thing. Nuland husband is also part of the Brooking Institute and the CFR. Those organizations are real. And you can check for yourself what they stands for.

This is really complex bro. That's the thing ! Those thing happening in the background are crazy. You're scratching your head because of the many ramifications.

So for example, one day Afghans are allies because they were fighting against USSR in the 80s. But then they're the enemy after September 11. One day, Al Qeida is public enemy number 1 in 2001 ; but they become - kind of - an ally in Syria ( Al Nusra ) because they're fighting ISIS, the new Public enemy number 1. But again this is just politics. It's always ugly. That's why I prefer to stay very far from it...

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Where is Trump on this? He has repeatedly said he would be very tough on Russia.

Oh wait, I just checked, he was talking about Russia today on his twitter. Never mind, he was just complaining that the Mueller investigation isn't more focused on people in his circle who weren't speaking to Russians. Nothing about Ukraine.

B-Dubs

General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
It's no conspiracy theory that Project for a New American Century is a real thing. Nuland husband is also part of the Brooking Institute and the CFR. Those organizations are real. And you can check for yourself what they stands for.

This is really complex bro. That's the thing ! Those thing happening in the background are crazy. You're scratching your head because of the many ramifications.

So for example, one day Afghans are allies because they were fighting against USSR in the 80s. But then they're the enemy after September 11. One day, Al Qeida is public enemy number 1 in 2001 ; but they become - kind of - an ally in Syria ( Al Nusra ) because they're fighting ISIS, the new Public enemy number 1. But again this is just politics. It's always ugly. That's why I prefer to stay very far from it...
Al-Qaeda were an enemy long before 9/11.

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
It's no conspiracy theory that Project for a New American Century is a real thing.
It literally has NOTHING to do with Crimea! Why you keep talking about it? It's just a shitload of unrelated nonsense.

Just think about this for a second. Why are you compelled to post this shit in a thread that is literally about Russia breaking international law. Like did anyone force Russia to capture Ukrainian ships? Did US send them there?

Ukraine

Banned
Jun 1, 2018
Back on topic. Ukrainian parliament did pass 30 day martial law on territories that are bordering Russia/Sea. Couldn't even do it without confirming presidential elections at the end of March. It's one of those days that shows that fighting dictatorship with democratic government is almost impossible.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Back on topic. Ukrainian parliament did pass 30 day martial law on territories that are bordering Russia/Sea. Couldn't even do it without confirming presidential elections at the end of March. It's one of those days that shows that fighting dictatorship with democratic government is almost impossible.
Apparently also along the border with the Moldovan region Transnistria.