• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
With regards to SWIFT, there was an interesting call to LBC this morning with someone explaining why it may not be as important as some think.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
For some added context here I'll repeat from last night that minister of finance Lindner said yesterday evening that he was not convinced that kicking Russia out of SWIFT would hurt them all that much and he thought Russia probably already has something ready to replace it.

(not saying I agree - just elaborating the government's reasoning)
The counter-argument to this rationale would be "well, if kicking Russia out of SWIFT won't hurt them all that much then why the resistance in not going through with it"?

I mean, it won't harm them. They've already got some grand alternative. So where's the harm in doing it anyhow? I mean, clearly, it would be an easy way to get political points. And yet they continue to resist.

And if you're holding it back as something you can implement as further sanctions ramp up in the face of further Russian atrocities... well, you've spent all this time and effort downplaying its utility and importance.

That doesn't add up to me.

Last edited:

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
It's a personal choice they're making. Seems like the only harm it will do is to themselves. I'm sure anyone doing this realizes there's a good chance they can die in the near future but for whatever their reasons are, they feel like it's the best option for them to defend their home/family/way of life.
If they ever needed
What could the Taliban possibly have against Russian imperialism?
Its just a cheap way to show the world "look, we are nice guys".

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Of course. The moment any NATO military unit hits a Russian one (or vice versa), it's Nuclear war.

All this stuff about "we should have been more decisive" - in what way could anyone have been?
Turkey shoot a russian jet down and no nukes were fired. If NATO and Russia fight against each other, nukes are sadly a possibility. But you are fear mogering, if you actually believe the moment a soldier gets shoot, nukes would fly. All the countries capable of firing nukes know, them deciding to fire nukes leads to the opponent firing nukes back immediately.

Putin is a awful person, but what we know from Biden and other NATO countries politician is that Putin wants to recreate the Russian Empire. Risking that russia gets hit by multiple nukes is contradictory to his dumb goal.

Really?
www.bbc.com

Turkey's downing of Russian warplane - what we know

What we know about the Russian warplane shot down by Turkey in the Turkish-Syrian border area on 24 November.
This.

el_barto

Feb 14, 2022
German goverment is getting blasted on german social media and by regular media over their SWIFT veto. Hopefully they backpedal soon

I can relate to the decision.
Diplomatic retaliation/sanctions are the ONLY option we're having since military options are and will be off the table.

So we need to preserve the biggest sanction-guns for further escalation of the war - widespread air assaults and city bombings, all-out urban warfare etc, bringing in the paramiliary units from Chechen.
And as far as I understand SWIFT IS the biggest gun. If we pull that now and Russia lets the war escalate futher we'd have no answers left.

Besides, no option - even SWIFT - would get Putin to rethink right now.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking hell. The absolute fucking delusion… it's really weird that Putin & his cabal are the only ones who seem to notice this genocide… also would love some evidence of this taking place.

Why? Didn't an empty blown up car, on an empty parking place, supposedly belonging to one of the separatist leaders convince you?

FreezerGeezer

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
My heart sank upon hearing about the Kadyrovites potentially moving in. Probably a direct move to terrify the civilian population and unfortunately they are right to be scared. They are fucking monsters.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry if this is a bad place to ask this, but I was wondering how it works when other countries send weapons and such to Ukraine?
How are those items reaching the country? And how are they even able to receive them when everything went to shit so quickly? Wouldn't it be kind of "easy" for Russia to intercept those weapons ?

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sorry if this is a bad place to ask this, but I was wondering how it works when other countries send weapons and such to Ukraine?
How are those items reaching the country? And how are they even able to receive them when everything went to shit so quickly? Wouldn't it be kind of "easy" for Russia to intercept those weapons ?
All reported weapons shipments were done before Russian invasion. If there any shipment still being done, is probably through the border with Poland or Romania.

svacina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Polish, Slovakian and Romanian borders, I would guess. The chain of command has not collapsed yet so you can still organize these things.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

At this point, probably being sent to Poland with Ukrainian military attaches sent to pick them up and carry them back across the border.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Currently through Poland and Romania, by land.