• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
This is the thing that's keeping me from getting excited for this game. It seems like garbage writing all around.

The stubbornness from the studio to accept any criticism is off putting as well. Fuck 'em.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
That's the argument though. Lots of people are saying that social issues don't matter as long as the gameplay / story is good.

But we were talking about Witcher 3 and if it's a good game or not and I was reffering to the fact that everyone can have his own opinion about game's quality but of course when it comes to social issues, like racism, you should be having one opinion.. you can have different opinion(s) - everyone has his right for that - but then you know what you are and you need to face the consenquences

Jul 10, 2018
Fair enough, fair enough. Gunplay is definitely one of those things that's really up to individuals. They should just ape the gunplay from binary domain, all these years later and there's not much that's as similarly as satisfying.

I hear ya. Oddly enough the finest I ever felt was the pistol in Half-Life 2, still looking for something to feel as clean.

Yet its major hing an should be something thats more of a concern then how it plays.

It's important. Not just now but in the future too, that shit doesn't age well, like how scooters in GTA games are still called a 'Faggio' some 17 years after Vice City's introduction of them.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Yeah, it is hard to parse this I agree, like this post makes a really good point:

but also I feel it's still quite hard to judge this kind of thing when we have barely seen anything from the game yet and have yet to see if it consistently shitty or if the shittiness serves an actual purpose, tone and style wise. This is like a 50 hour plus game, you have to judge it holistically.
I agree with that, we can't fully assess it yet. The way the dialogue has been presented thus far hasn't really given me much hope for a nuanced perspective, but again, I'm open to seeing the final product to find out.

Jar0d

Banned
Jun 11, 2019
So, everything is fine outside of the gameplay and progressive matters ? Yeah, it's a CD Projekt game and of course, no buy from me.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Making a cyberpunk game with tired racial stereotypes is some next level of dumb shit.

Yeah. This seems like a very unfortunate mix. I want a sophisticated treatment and good characterisations and dialogue. I don't want to feel embarrassed every time a character opens their mouth. It would be a shame for videogames' 'flagship' cyberpunk entry to fall so short on these things, vs examples of the genre in other media.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
So you are happy the way they use asian language and imagery in the game? My english langauge isn't good enough to explain it but reading this it sounds again, stereotypical.

Seems inherent to the genre?
This isn't unlike the problematic issues found in the Cyberpunk genre as a whole. Ridley Scott's classic 1982 film Blade Runner is the most obvious example here since it falls into the very same trappings. Chinese and Japanese language is strewn about casually without any mention of diaspora, and the only East Asian characters – in a film filled with East Asian aesthetics and iconography – are the noodle salesman and eyeball maker. Hell, these Orientalist issues were present from the beginning of the genre with the seminal novel Neuromancer. It is set in a futuristic Chiba, Japan but does not have any Japanese characters, let alone protagonists, which shows that this problematic Orientalist view has been apparent in cyberpunk since the beginning.
Read more at https://www.gamerevolution.com/feat...ulture-as-window-dressing#OBA1hrpWQ17ZpqAg.99

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk is supposed to be dystopian, it is supposed to be full of awful things. Did y'all get mad at the movie Dredd because it had a black man as a drug dealer that didn't speak the queens English? y'all upset 24/7 smmfh
But how you show these awful things matters. Is it nuanced, is it stereotypical, is it biased, is it neutral,... If it's biased, how is it biased? Critical? Favourable? You can tell a story about racism that paints a highly critical picture of it or you can tell a story about racism that makes light of it or glamourises it (and everything in between).

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I think CDPR, given their track record, ought to release a set short stories that give context to the representation, idolization, cultural appropriation and fetishization within the game world.

As things are in vacuum and given their aforementioned track record it is not a good look given how certain aspects of representation in Cyberpunk 2020, which were once largely palatable within the non-diagetic culture where bigotry was an innate part of every day life for the majority, have rightfully been recognized as anathemas in retrospect. If the game is running with non-diagetic culture that shaped C2020 and re-imagining it onto 2077 whilst stripping it of the real world cultural progress made since the 80s, then they ought to clarify that.

More from Eurogamer

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What the FUCK is all this racial insensitivity in their writing???
`I'm also increasingly concerned about Cyberpunk's handling of non-white cultures. Last year's Gamescom demo drew criticism for its clumsy and inauthentic presentation of a Latino character, and I'm not convinced the Voodoo Boys are a step in the right direction. At one point V, the player character, mockingly says "and who are dem" in response to Placide's pronunciation. I asked Tomaskiewicz if he was concerned they weren't treating certain cultures with enough respect.`

`Then – because again, we're very strong – we rip the turret off its base and turn it on the Animals. At this point, I feel increasingly uncomfortable that we're shooting at predominantly black people labelled as animals.`

From Eurogamer:
`The population is now largely black, and the major language is largely Haitian Creole. We're here to meet a man called Placide, of the Voodoo Boys gang, for a mission. We search for him in a nearby church, and an NPC, named as "Poor Man", comes up to us. There is some questionable dialogue - or rather, questionable subtitling - where the man's thick Creole accent is also written out in the subtitles, "they" as "dey" and "the" as "da" or "de". This is the same for nearly all of the Voodoo Boys and people of this area, and actully after you unlock a chip in-game that translates launguage for you, your software presents it as such - "la" in a foreign language still "da" in English. Later on, Placide mentions "they are coming", or something of that ilk, and our white male character asks "who is "dey"?".`

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
CDPR needs to get ahold of bungie for some tips about how to make gunplay feel amazing.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
it is crystal clear that there is something with this game, two E3s and all we got was a pre recorded gameplay demo on a monster PC. this decision was made on purpose. no one knows how this looks or runs on current consoles and this will affect how the game will feel. i expect this game to have problems in either graphical look or performance on the current consoles. could also be that the story itself is hamfisted.

i don´t trust the hype at all, especially not after the Witcher 3 downgrades and the fact that the game released really rough( small inventory icons, stuttering in some areas, bugs galore.)

they knew exactly why they got Keanu Reeves, to drive those pre order numbers even higher but last E3 before release and no console gameplay is a big red flag for me.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Correct me If I am wrong.
Shouldn't dystopian cyberpunk be full of racism,slurs and offensive stuff? This is downfall of social relationships, not sure why it should be pretty.
Cyberpunk should be about the interaction of corporative, hypercapitalist superpowers playing gods while countercultures appear and the often semi-criminal protagonist moves between worlds.
It should be about weird stuff, a bunch of college kids dressing in optic camouflage summer dresses that spout neo-Marxist dribble one week then dye themselves gray and speaking somberly the next.
Cyberpunk doesn't even need to feel too dystopian, most of Neuromancer for example isn't dystopian even if it's very dark at times. So racism, slurs and offensive stuff absolutely isn't necessary. And not from this company.

BenRoderick

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think CDPR, given their track record, ought to release a set short stories that give context to the representation, idolization, cultural appropriation and fetishization within the game world.

As things are in vacuum and given their aforementioned track record it is not a good look given how certain aspects of representation in Cyberpunk 2020, which were once largely palatable within the non-diagetic culture where bigotry was an innate part of every day life for the majority, have rightfully been recognized as anathemas in retrospect. If the game is running with non-diagetic culture that shaped C2020 and re-imagining it onto 2077 whilst stripping it of the real world cultural progress made since the 80s, then they ought to clarify that.
This.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Correct me If I am wrong.
Shouldn't dystopian cyberpunk be full of racism,slurs and offensive stuff? This is downfall of social relationships, not sure why it should be pretty.
Cyberpunk is supposed to be dystopian, it is supposed to be full of awful things. Did y'all get mad at the movie Dredd because it had a black man as a drug dealer that didn't speak the queens English? y'all upset 24/7 smmfh
Or Maybe, simplier, in a multicultural society where only Money, Power and Fire Power really counts, people can mock each other the way they want, 'cause real surviving problems are fuckingly others than feeling bad for the way someone think about or depict you. Sorry but in 2019 this kind of debate, in a Cyberpunk setting, is awkard as trying to write something on the phone and getting the T9 continuosly judging what you should really write. And getting wrong 99% time.

It's funny how minorities and people of color are always the ones getting shit on in "accurate" and "realistic" settings.

giphy.gif

No Idea

Mar 18, 2019
Somewhat random question but do the people previewing this game not know that V doesn't have to be white? Or does the main problem with the "who is dey/dem" line stem from the voice actor being white?

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much more of this shit do we have to see before certain people realize that maybe the company's problems aren't limited to a single community manager?

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mediocre combat won't stop this from being a hit. Witcher 3, RDR 2, and Fallout 3 are proof enough of that. Just have a huge immersive world.

Same with walking stereotypes, sadly.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
I am sometimes confused about how we can reconcile the legitimate call for a better and fairer representation of all races, genders, cultures and the artistic representation of a dystopian society (or, if that matter, even a realistic society) which will most likely include a depiction of it's wrongs.

I know I wouldn't stand for anything making the "apology" of racist, homo/trans-phobic or even violence. But on the other hand, I'm quite at ease with having games full of a**holes if this is part of the world. The "dem" is maybe a bit too much here for me as it comes from the protag'. The "ad" with the trans looks more like a satire of excessive marketing deviance from this world though.

I don't know, I don't have a clear answer to that, but I am actually less troubled by that than a lot of the satire pieces in a GTA V for instance.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Yep. And at the time, when I pointed out how awful the dialogue was, I got ripped a new one from some people on Era because the defense force for this game was almost as "hardcore" as the game wants to be. lol
Oh yeah, I tried to fairly criticise CDPR games here, not easy.
Rockstar and CDPR are untouchable.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird to me that Watch Dogs Legion seems to be embracing the anti-corporate dystopia Cyberpunk better than the thing 2077 is name after. It's been a hell of a week.

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
:\ I was hoping they would improve gameplay, but if this feels bad like W3 then it's a pass. Any impressions on the powers you can get?

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk should be about the interaction of corporative, hypercapitalist superpowers playing gods while countercultures appear and the often semi-criminal protagonist moves between worlds.
It should be about weird stuff, a bunch of college kids dressing in optic camouflage summer dresses that spout neo-Marxist dribble one week then dye themselves gray and speaking somberly the next.
Cyberpunk doesn't even need to feel too dystopian, most of Neuromancer for example isn't dystopian even if it's very dark at times. So racism, slurs and offensive stuff absolutely isn't necessary. And not from this company.

The whole point of cyberpunk as a subgenre to traditional early sci-fi, which tended to be hopeful, was to show an alternate dystopian future full of inequality, drug culture, hyper sexuality and cybernetics/tech.

Kilic95

Oct 25, 2017
Chireiden
Prediction: Outer Worlds will have a better open world, better gameplay, better writing and less racist stereotypes than this mess.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I found the combat in Witcher 3 to be serviceable-at-best, and why I think it's a great game but not an amazing one. So I'm not too surprised about the gunplay in CP2077 not being amazing. I don't know how much that will affect me as I'm expecting to have more of a sneaking/hacking play-style and less "guns blazing".

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
Seems like the games writers only glanced over the tabletop game. "Voody Boys - must be all brown people"

Is it far-fetched to imagine an ethnically-centered gang in a dystopia though? Exemples of "exclusives" gangs exists in the real world too, and they are not always known for their subtelty. As long as there are other reprensetations of the same ethnical group in the game than that, I don't see it as something that is, on it's own, an apology of racism. If the game however stands with an approach that this is the only way this ethnic group can possibly be presented, then it's an issue.

I don't think I am qualified to make social comments on all that, I am just wondering myself how I would approach it if I had to adapt a universe like Cyberpunk.

plau

Oct 30, 2017
Sensing some confirmation bias on this thread at least about the gameplay part. Witcher 3 was never known for great gameplay and on resetera it's a bit of a meme at this point. So now that someone says the combat looks bad people are like "who could've guessed lmao" like this article is word of god itself.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I find it less egregious and more just... tiring that this is not a solved problem by now. Prime example of how diversity in the workforce leads to an overall better product.

Lackluster gunplay is the cherry on top, but I can't say I'm surprised. CDPR has never been good at the gameplay.

OP
OP
derFeef

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Is it far-fetched to imagine an ethnically-centered gang in a dystopia though? Exemples of "exclusives" gangs exists in the real world too, and they are not always known for their subtelty. As long as there are other reprensetations of the same ethnical group in the game than that, I don't see it as something that is, on it's own, an apology of racism. If the game however stands with an approach that this is the only way this ethnic group can possibly be presented, then it's an issue.

I don't think I am qualified to make social comments on all that, I am just wondering myself how I would approach it if I had to adapt a universe like Cyberpunk.
I am comparing the game with the tabletop rpg where in the latter the gang is mainly made out of "average white boys". Yet in the game they are all colored people.

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is to be expected. The action in the Witcher series sucks ass and CD Projekt Red gonna CD Projekt Red.