• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Just got in within 30 or so minutes of watching a streamer that had 0 viewers but drops enabled. Most the streamers do have drops enabled even if they don't say so in their stream title, so if you're trying to get in I'd recommend doing that.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
As expected I don't like Expeditions. It's just shitty constructed that takes way too long to finish.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Just got in within 30 or so minutes of watching a streamer that had 0 viewers but drops enabled. Most the streamers do have drops enabled even if they don't say so in their stream title, so if you're trying to get in I'd recommend doing that.
I just spent two hours in a stream with 0 viewers and still didn't get it. It had drops enabled too. fml

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
I just spent two hours in a stream with 0 viewers and still didn't get it. It had drops enabled too. fml

Worth mentioning that I didn't get a Twitch notification, I just tried to log into the game and it let me. (Before I watched the stream it said I didn't have permission) However, it might also be that I got a direct invite that conveniently was perfectly timed with me starting to watch that stream because I just checked and saw I had an email saying I got in. So I don't really know, maybe check to see if you got an email or if you can log into the servers now.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Worth mentioning that I didn't get a Twitch notification, I just tried to log into the game and it let me. (Before I watched the stream it said I didn't have permission) However, it might also be that I got a direct invite that conveniently was perfectly timed with me starting to watch that stream because I just checked and saw I had an email saying I got in. So I don't really know, maybe check to see if you got an email or if you can log into the servers now.
Nope still don't have access. This sucks.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
the "two run" and "two consecutive losses" systems are very nice in draft mode.

makes it forgiving, and as you play, it is satisfying to add to your deck to refine it.

i really can't wait to have this on my phone.

Strider

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I was in the last beta but I'm happy to jump back in. Game play wise this is pretty much what I wanted from Artifact (although I had fun with Artifact even in it's current form but yea...).

Idgaf about the League IP though.

----

Expeditions is... alright. The two run, consecutive losses, and adding to your decks as you gp are all nice touches to a draft mode. I don't hate it and will do the occasional (free) run but most of my time will stil be spent in construction. Pretty much every game I prefer constructed though so no surprise there.

Once they are done with all the account wipes I'll be dropping $ on this and long term will be spending a ton of time with it... Can't wait for this on my tablet.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I was in the last beta but I'm happy to jump back in. Game play wise this is pretty much what I wanted from Artifact (although I had fun with Artifact even in it's current form but yea...).

Idgaf about the League IP though.

----

Expeditions is... alright. The two run, consecutive losses, and adding to your decks as you gp are all nice touches to a draft mode. I don't hate it and will do the occasional (free) run but most of my time will stil be spent in construction. Pretty much every game I prefer constructed though so no surprise there.

Once they are done with all the account wipes I'll be dropping $ on this and long term will be spending a ton of time with it... Can't wait for this on my tablet.

I feel the same way about this being what I wanted from Artifact gameplay - bonus for me is that I far prefer this IP and aesthetic.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, I must say I reeeeeaaaaaaaally like it so far.

It's different enough from other games with the not-traditional turns and attacking and blocking that it hooked me. More engaging than Artifact was for sure.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Feels like theres only 3 decks people are using in Draft mode

Fiora Shen (Lux variant sometimes)
Tryndamere Anivia
Hecarim Zed

Played for like 12 hours yesterday and barely encountered anything else

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Having a lot of fun with Jinx/Draven discard deck. Scrambling to level Jinx up and then dealing tons of AoE damage is really satisfying.

jinx-2a-legends-of-runeterra-ign-66-1571190210757.jpg

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
As I was typing a reply to this saying "the same for me", I got the email saying I'd gotten in. I'm sorry :(

Yeah, hoping to get in today. Does anyone know if not having the Twitch tab (in Chrome) as current tab affects things? I mostly just wanna have access once the non-interrupted beta starts next year.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Do we get so much currency because there will be wipe before the launch or is it normal and other people will have as much at start in the future?

I was able to craft soooo many cards.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Have to say this game is a treat. Not sure I like the pick 3 cards at a time in draft but other than that this game rocks. Its like the perfect marriage of all other CCG's with a much better payment model.
Sad for my wife though who has had streams running for about 40 hours by now, between the last and this beta and still no drop :(

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i just want to go home and play. there is a real "brain worm" nature where i can't get it out of my head.

i think the audio/visual polish helps also - it all just FEELS so good to play

Do we get so much currency because there will be wipe before the launch or is it normal and other people will have as much at start in the future?

I was able to craft soooo many cards.

At least 1 Full wipe is coming. You will start from whatever the base free cards are at launch, with a free cosmetic poro (little fuzzy dude) for being in the beta

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Played all the tutorials (there's a bunch of optional ones). They're quite deep and informative. They give clear examples on how certain interactions and sequencing works which is nice.

Weird that you can't arrange your board in terms of attacking, because it definitely matters. You have to put your cards on the board one at a time and if you get something wrong you can't just change the position, you have to put it back on the bench. Maybe they meant it as a streamlining thing to speed things up - as you can sweep cards to select multiple at once - but it can be frustrating.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, after couple of tries I've build a deck focusing on Barrier and it's awesome.

I just hate fighting mushroom decks :P

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Tweaked the Vlad/Braum deck a bit. I haven't been tracking the winrate, but it's extremely high. This thing is explosive as hell once you get scarmothers down, and copying them with blood for blood is incredible. voOsh was right about culling strike, this thing is clutch for sniping pesky champions like heimer, teemo, ezrael, draven, zed, etc and even kills thresh which is a huge tempo swing.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Shadow Isles and Demacia is a really fun combo, someone beat me with it earlier and i took some of their ideas and i'm enjoying it a lot

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Okay, after couple of tries I've build a deck focusing on Barrier and it's awesome.

I just hate fighting mushroom decks :P

i love fighting mushroom deck - a ticking time bomb i need to beat adds so much tension

Shadow Isles and Demacia is a really fun combo, someone beat me with it earlier and i took some of their ideas and i'm enjoying it a lot

is it a Lux deck? still trying to crack that egg and figure out where to use her

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
Played all the tutorials (there's a bunch of optional ones). They're quite deep and informative. They give clear examples on how certain interactions and sequencing works which is nice.

Weird that you can't arrange your board in terms of attacking, because it definitely matters. You have to put your cards on the board one at a time and if you get something wrong you can't just change the position, you have to put it back on the bench. Maybe they meant it as a streamlining thing to speed things up - as you can sweep cards to select multiple at once - but it can be frustrating.

One weird thing I noticed in the tutorials is that the cards are unchanged. I had the AI cast Avalanche and it still does 2 to everything (the card says this). I guess it's still a beta but make sure some of those interactions are still true.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
This game is very high quality. Been playing it quite alot over the past couple of days. I mainly play draft modes in ccgs, and I've got to say, this is the most well done draft mode I've played in any F2P game so far. I think drafting could maybe use a few tweaks, but overall, it's really solid, and really fun right now.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Tweaked the Vlad/Braum deck a bit. I haven't been tracking the winrate, but it's extremely high. This thing is explosive as hell once you get scarmothers down, and copying them with blood for blood is incredible. voOsh was right about culling strike, this thing is clutch for sniping pesky champions like heimer, teemo, ezrael, draven, zed, etc and even kills thresh which is a huge tempo swing.

It says deck doesn't exist for me, could you fix I'm interested? :)

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Expedition seems like a pretty neat middle ground between constructed and traditional drafting, but... I also like traditional drafting.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Really conflicted on expeditions, don't know the game well enough to make a call yet.

My problem with drafting in digital card games is it's almost always closer to sealed than drafting.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really conflicted on expeditions, don't know the game well enough to make a call yet.

My problem with drafting in digital card games is it's almost always closer to sealed than drafting.
Yeah. It's definitely better than Hearthstone, but it's certainly not Magic. Not even Arena magic.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah. It's definitely better than Hearthstone, but it's certainly not Magic. Not even Arena magic.
Constructed Magic = whatever
Sealed Magic = ugh
Draft Magic = 10/10 now you're fucking talking

Artifact was so close to great drafting, tournament mode just needed a shared card pool in a pod. And for the game to not be dead.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Got through my first expedition with 6 wins using a pretty straightforward Noxus aggro deck, and I'm really not feeling the format. The deck building phase just isn't all that fun, and there's so much consistency with the decks you can build it basically feels like constructed-lite. It's such a shame no other game is willing to copy Eternal's limited modes. Especially since given how chests and reward upgrade chances work here, the devs are definitely aware of the game.

That's fine though, because with the pricing it's not like I'll get to play the mode very often. And the card pool + hero based gameplay in general doesn't seem to be built with limited in mind anyway.

Apart from that, I seem to be having a really weird technical issue. Measuring with Afterburner, the game seems locked to 30fps, except when mousing over my cards, when it goes to 60fps. Just the framerate lock itself is super terrible and makes the game feel super choppy (and why would you lock a card game of all things), but the framerate changing every time I go to play a card just makes the game feel terrible to play. Just locking the game to 30 would be preferable to this. This behavior seems specific enough to be by design (and would make sense on phones to save battery, but not on PC). But it's also so illogical that it feels like a bug. Does anyone else get this?

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Got through my first expedition with 6 wins using a pretty straightforward Noxus aggro deck, and I'm really not feeling the format. The deck building phase just isn't all that fun, and there's so much consistency with the decks you can build it basically feels like constructed-lite. It's such a shame no other game is willing to copy Eternal's limited modes. Especially since given how chests and reward upgrade chances work here, the devs are definitely aware of the game.

That's fine though, because with the pricing it's not like I'll get to play the mode very often. And the card pool + hero based gameplay in general doesn't seem to be built with limited in mind anyway.
Right, these have been my feelings as well.

It's basically like everyone's jamming MtG Challenger decks against each other; the expected constructed play patterns are included all the way up to the rare bomb cards, just a lot less consistent. The context for evaluating how good a card is does not drastically change, and you can force the critical mass of synergy, like this:
(lost my Summoner name forever ago, haven't played League in nearly a decade)

Like, it is totally cool that you can try out constructed synergies here, but yeah, when card pool and draft picks are made to support the Champion themes first and foremost, you can't avoid it feeling a bit samey at times.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I'm not the only one not feeling Expeditions. Thought I was an outlier. But I wanted to wait a couple days before really putting it into thoughts. I agree with what you've all said so far. It's a bit too on the rails with the themes constrained by the heroes and choices offered. I loved Eternals Draft and Leagues. But ultimately moved on as the mana system drove me mad. Same with Magic Arena.

It's weird in that you consistently draft themed picks. Though, every decision that isn't a swap afterward is forcing you to dilute your deck which raises drawing inconsistency.

If it becomes the more efficient way to build a collection I'll go through the motions of Expeditions cause right now Constructed actually seems fun. I only got in the last couple day of the previous beta after watching streams all week. But... I'm concerned that Expeditions is sort of an omen to the narrow design space the devs are presenting. With them already mentioning adding a new faction, it's hard to judge now without a Ranked mode where people optimize Constructed.

I'm still getting used to the passing system. There's a great back and forth in general but it feels clunky. Especially in regards to combat tricks. I think an additional phase where only burst spells need to be added just before combat commences. It's weird having to declare blockers or attackers, and playing burst spells like or at the same time as fast spells because of the passing system. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong...

Last edited:

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm with everyone else - I won't play Draft beyond any free tokens we get.

Constructed feels too damn good to skip, and Draft neither captures the feel of sealed nor draft the way I like.

Slash Ess

Nov 5, 2017
IMO 40 cards is too many to think about and gathering the ones you need to build a deck seems like it takes a long af time

Draft >>

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Draft is okay, but doesn't hold a candle to Artifact's. I very much liked picking way more cards than you could use, then building the strongest deck you can out of those picks. My only other draft mode that I liked was Hearthstone, but that was when I was a new card game player and after I got a taste of high level constructed, draft just seemed boring to me. Same case here

Won

Oct 27, 2017
After giving it another go, I think I straight up hate expeditions.

Which sucks, because without some decent modes I'm not all that interested spending my time with a card game these days.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's kind of baffling really. The core gameplay in this is very good, it's so close to being the best magic ripoff that isn't just Magic. But the drafting mode is just absolute pants. The point of draft is to construct something from nothing. to adapt to what is coming your way. Obviously it works BEST with an actual pod of drafters, ala actual paper magic, but even arena magic gets you most of the way there, but this? You just easily have legitimate synergy and it makes it feel like you're just playing a form of constructed.

Hearthstone arena sucks huge dicks, but it DOES at least marginally better capture the notion of taking what your'e given to make something, though it leans too far the other way where you can't reliably draft an archetype at all in my experience and rely on RNG. Like...Riot, just make it a regular fucking magic draft. Yeah it's more complex but it's not THAT complex.

At the end of the day, Draft modes SHOULD feel different from just playing the game. It should require a different skillset than deck building, and it appeals to a different audience - lean into that. People that want to play standard will play standard. People shouldn't just be playing a draft because 'well I get a free one anyway' or 'it's an efficient way to get cards', you want them playing draft because they love the limited format. I haven't tried Eternal, but no other card game I've played besides Magic has ever gotten it right imo. Don't give me 3 choices of cards, give me a huge choice that whittles down, so my deck starts with 0 focus, no commitment, and I'm slowly focusing in on what my deck is going to become. I don't know how you'd do it in this, but it's not my job to figure it out. The notion that you pick your class in HS or your regions in this early on, really limit things. Just don't even limit shit by region, fuck it. If that's too broken, figure out another way to limit me from playing every region, because I think my first choice shoehorning my deck into one of maybe 2 archetypes is just going to be really boring in general.

Sep 14, 2018
I signed up the last time and yesterday I got the mail, lucky me I didn't even remember.

What's the control faction? And is it good?