• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Draft mode preview video was posted. First impressions are its insanely forgiving, which I like. Your goal is 7 wins. You go until you lose twice in a row, so a loss here or there doesn't hurt you. You only have 1 shot when going for your 7th win. For each expedition, you get 2 trials and it gives you rewards based on your trial with the highest number of wins. If you get enough wins, you can even fund your next expedition completely. It doesn't seem like it will be that hard to go infinite. There's also a free play mode which is great.

If you are paying close enough attention, you can spot some of the card changes. There's a reddit comment tracking changes people spotted:

It definitely seems very forgiving. I also like how it's based on your best try out of 2, so if you get 6 or 7 wins your first go you can go for something experimental next and not care about wins.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Draft mode preview video was posted. First impressions are its insanely forgiving, which I like. Your goal is 7 wins. You go until you lose twice in a row, so a loss here or there doesn't hurt you. You only have 1 shot when going for your 7th win. For each expedition, you get 2 trials and it gives you rewards based on your trial with the highest number of wins. If you get enough wins, you can even fund your next expedition completely. It doesn't seem like it will be that hard to go infinite. There's also a free play mode which is great.

If you are paying close enough attention, you can spot some of the card changes. There's a reddit comment tracking changes people spotted:

damn, that's an excellent ass draft mode

this game is gonna be the GOAT CCG for real

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the look of the new mode but man the entry price is steep.

What was the price is actual money? Yeah, I wouldn't expect the expected value of the draft mode to be radically different from other games. It's nice that it'll be less "feel bad" by requiring 2 losses in a row, and free drafting after 3 runs is welcome.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
What was the price is actual money? Yeah, I wouldn't expect the expected value of the draft mode to be radically different from other games. It's nice that it'll be less "feel bad" by requiring 2 losses in a row, and free drafting after 3 runs is welcome.

4 USD / 1 Champion's worth of shards

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I wish it was balanced for not doing 2 runs per expedition. The thing I liked most about Shadowverse drafts was it was 5 games, no ifs, ands, or buts. Here, the worst case for each expedition would be alternating wins and losses and playing it twice for: 6W+7L (if you had 7W, you wouldn't play the second run) + 7W+6L = 26 games per expedition.

Of course it's an extreme example, but I do wish they didn't have this possibility come up. I'd prefer a full expedition run to go 1-1.5hrs, not potentially 3 tbh.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
So for those that got to play the first beta test, how long did it take on average to get 4000 shards that you'd need to play the new draft mode? Because to me, 4k shards sounds like a lot, since it's the same amount it takes to craft a champion card.

Sure the actual card rewards you get look pretty decently balanced against the entry fee, but as someone who primarily wants to play draft modes in card games, I don't really care about that. I just want to play as much draft as possible, and the price point doesn't really look like it will allow for that.

Hydrophobic

Oct 25, 2017
So for those that got to play the first beta test, how long did it take on average to get 4000 shards that you'd need to play the new draft mode? Because to me, 4k shards sounds like a lot, since it's the same amount it takes to craft a champion card.

Sure the actual card rewards you get look pretty decently balanced against the entry fee, but as someone who primarily wants to play draft modes in card games, I don't really care about that. I just want to play as much draft as possible, and the price point doesn't really look like it will allow for that.
There seems to be a free play draft mode. It sounded kind of like you play paid draft 3 times first, but it wasn't very clear. You may be able to access this free draft from the start even?

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
There seems to be a free play draft mode. It sounded kind of like you play paid draft 3 times first, but it wasn't very clear. You may be able to access this free draft from the start even?

The way I understood the video, you only unlock free draft once you've paid for it three times in a single week. So it's more of a way of timegating rewards rather than a way to draft for free (which is in line with how they limit how many wildcards you can buy per week).

If that's the case, I really doubt I'll ever actually get to use it, since I'm worried about even getting enough currency to draft once per week. But I hope I'm wrong about how it works.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

Rewards are super skewed right now, and you basically have access to unlimited resources in beta

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

4k shards is actually a lot. I think it would be unreasonable to get 4000 shards in 1 week at the current rates. Even if you grind super hard and get level 13 vault on week 1 (25k exp), that's still only 2400 shards. You can get extra shards from region progression or duplicate common/rare cards (25/75 shards). Epics and champions are automatically rerolled to another of the same level if you already have 3 copies. Maxing out a region will give you a total of 2920 shards (52.5k exp) which is way more than you can achieve in 1 week. Chests have a small chance to upgrade a tier, so your expected shard gain is a bit higher than this, but not by much. So yeah, entry fee is very high. I don't think you can play this mode much outside of free-play if you aren't putting money into the game or if you are slamming 6-7 wins every time. I'm not sure how many shards can be purchased per week either. I'm also not sure how you acquire the expedition tokens. Those who are good enough to go infinite are coming out of it with an extra 3 champion cards and some change every week.

Sourced from:

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
I didn't play in the last preview period despite getting access, so I can't say anything about the economy, but I have some thoughts about the draft itself. I waited for this because I prefer limited modes in card games over constructed.

+ Synergy cards being bundled together, and you being able to trade out cards every match, can reduce the moments in these "Pick 1 of 3" type draft modes, where you tried to pick a synergy card with low floor and high ceiling, but you end up just stuck with a dead useless card. I'd probably prefer drafting more cards than you need, then cutting the bad ones, but these methods are more casual-friendly and streamlined, I suppose. Better than Hearthstone Arena at least.

- This is not the type of draft where you pass unwanted cards to other people. A lot of people probably don't mind it, but from my experience, when in limited formats your card picks are unaffected by other people's picks, it tends to cement "X faction/archetype is just plain better than Y" phenomenon. When you're passing cards, you can often have "Mediocre cards of the best archetype" deck go against "best cards of the worst archetype" deck, depending on the drafters' skill levels. Draft meta has better chance of self-correcting, without needing to cross fingers for draft-based buffs/nerfs or manual appearance rate tweaks from the devs.

Slightly bummed out, but that's just me being a crazy person that loves Eternal Card Game's draft mode. I might still end up pleased overall if the evolving nature of the decks, potential high synergy ceiling, the leniency of the mode, and potential free drafts manage to charm me.

Last edited:

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
I'd really like to give this game a shot, but getting selected into the beta seems really difficult. I idled in twitch streams for a few days straight and got nothing.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd really like to give this game a shot, but getting selected into the beta seems really difficult. I idled in twitch streams for a few days straight and got nothing.
Were you in high viewer streams or more moderate ones? the whole "500% DROP RATE" nonsense that started spreading and was, almost surely, bullshit didn't help. Even if it was true for disguised toast, his viewer count made it incredibly unlikely regardless. I idled in...amaz maybe? someone with like 1k viewers and got it overnight

Nordicus

Oct 29, 2017
Finland
Were you in high viewer streams or more moderate ones? the whole "500% DROP RATE" nonsense that started spreading and was, almost surely, bullshit didn't help. Even if it was true for disguised toast, his viewer count made it incredibly unlikely regardless. I idled in...amaz maybe? someone with like 1k viewers and got it overnight
Yeah, I got mine from a sub-100 viewer stream within few hours

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
How do you know what streams have drops?

It should say under the stream title when watching the stream that drops are enabled. Although note that according to reddit, drops won't be active at all until phase 2 actually starts and any stream that currently says otherwise is just lying to you. The same reddit post also shows an example of what the "drops enabled" message looks like.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
It should say under the stream title when watching the stream that drops are enabled. Although note that according to reddit, drops won't be active at all until phase 2 actually starts and any stream that currently says otherwise is just lying to you. The same reddit post also shows an example of what the "drops enabled" message looks like.
Ah good to know, thank you. I rarely use Twitch and find it confusing, I tend to just watch archived stuff on YouTube.

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

That feeling when nothing gets nerfed from your 90% winrate deck from the last beta period.

giphy.gif

Koz

Sep 5, 2018
Ugh they absolutely gutted Kalista. I think she needed a bit of a tweak to make her less unkillable, but that change feels like she's going to be straight garbage now.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Well I guess I can't get the list without access to the client for now. But it is a Vlad/Braum self-damage deck with all the minions that proc off of taking damage. You drop 1 and 2 cost units that turn into larger units which makes it very mana efficient.

So many streamers said that deck wasn't weak/beat it the few times they played it. My boy vlad not getting any respect

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Well I guess I can't get the list without access to the client for now. But it is a Vlad/Braum self-damage deck with all the minions that proc off of taking damage. You drop 1 and 2 cost units that turn into larger units which makes it very mana efficient.
How close is this? I haven't gotten a chance to test it at all, just from theorycrafting after the beta period ended:
Ugh they absolutely gutted Kalista. I think she needed a bit of a tweak to make her less unkillable, but that change feels like she's going to be straight garbage now.
Agreed. also I hate their reasoning of too many complex interactions... Like that's what made the card really cool. If it was too strong, find another way to nerf it. Now it's just boring.

Last edited:

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
How close is this? I haven't gotten a chance to test it at all, just from theorycrafting after the beta period ended:

The deck had all of those except I don't recall Crimson Curator, Tarkaz, Death Lotus, or Blood for Blood. The differences I remember were full set of Legion Veterans, 3x Culling Strike (I think this is a must in every Noxus deck), and some number of Whirling Death (really powerful 3 mana removal when you routinely have a 10+ power creature).

Some of your choices might be better though -- test it out! That's the beauty of pre-meta card games. Death Lotus in particular seems like something I want to try and fit in.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
The deck had all of those except I don't recall Crimson Curator, Tarkaz, Death Lotus, or Blood for Blood. The differences I remember were full set of Legion Veterans, 3x Culling Strike (I think this is a must in every Noxus deck), and some number of Whirling Death (really powerful 3 mana removal when you routinely have a 10+ power creature).

Some of your choices might be better though -- test it out! That's the beauty of pre-meta card games. Death Lotus in particular seems like something I want to try and fit in.
Yep, hope we get a nice set of wildcards and what not so we can go wild with testing again. I think I'll throw in some more legion veterans for sure to smooth out the curve. This is the deck I have been most excited to try for the next beta, glad to hear it can work!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Not a fan of simplifying Thresh's The Box and Kalista. And this is someone who HORRIBLY, DISASTEREDLY misplayed The Box AND misplayed into The Box. Just changing the wording would have been fine to reduce confusion rather than outright removing mechanics. I could see both of these as part of their new "do not summon minions at burst speed" mantra, but I also fundamentally disagree with that direction. It was confusing, but only because the tutorials for turn flow and burst speed were not sufficient imo.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Not a fan of simplifying Thresh's The Box and Kalista. And this is someone who HORRIBLY, DISASTEREDLY misplayed The Box AND misplayed into The Box. Just changing the wording would have been fine to reduce confusion rather than outright removing mechanics. I could see both of these as part of their new "do not summon minions at burst speed" mantra, but I also fundamentally disagree with that direction. It was confusing, but only because the tutorials for turn flow and burst speed were not sufficient imo.

Agreed honestly. Kalista isnt even recognizable as her league incarnation anymore either.

Also how the fuck was Freljord not hit with more nerfs

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Yay just got an email inviting me to an expedition tomorrow 😊.
Going to try the champs I didn't try from las beta. My favorite was Karma and Lux.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Excited to play again. Both happy and sad they basically obliterated my control deck from last time, at least they're keeping things interesting.