• Biome 3

Votes: 283 15.6%
  • Biome 4

Votes: 53 2.9%
  • Biome 5

Votes: 115 6.3%
  • Biome 6

Votes: 51 2.8%
  • I have beaten the game/Playing on NG+!

Votes: 881 48.6%

• Total voters
Custom suits cause bugs
  • platocplx

2020 Member Elect
    Oct 30, 2017
    I tried both on my runs, settled on the M9. He was trying out both too, don't know on which he settled to be honest. Did not have any issues at all with the default one and none with the M14.
    It also started to happen after unlocking the second biome, for me and for my friend as well.
    As you say that. It just happened to me being stuck in a room after laying on a bed, and I had the M14. So yeah custom suit def is the cause it looks like.

General explanation of the game mechanics, consumables, items ecc.
  • Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
    GENERAL EXPLANATION OF GAME MECHANICS, CONSUMABLES, ITEMS...

I've been seeing lots of micro questions about game mechanics, terms, equipment, etc., and after completing Act 3/"True Ending" I thought I'd try my hand at a one-stop post to explain things. Don't worry: NO SPOILERS (as much as reasonably possible). Ideally I'd feel great if people find this post helpful to share it with people with questions that are answered here. Please reply to this and tell me if I got anything wrong or missed anything - I'll answer you and update this post.

• Malignancy - Chests and some pickups (see below) can be Malignant. This means there is a chance to incur a Malfunction on your suit if you interact with the Malignant thing. The chance for Malfunction is shown before interaction.
    • Integrity - This is your health, represented as your suit's integrity. It reaches zero and you die. You can increase your max Integrity in a number of ways, most commonly through Silphium Resin.
    • Malfunction - Negative traits that can be removed by completing the associated task. If you obtain a Malfunction after already having two active ones it will count as a Critical Malfunction. This is not a persistent trait, but instead an immediate negative penalty. Most frequently a Critical Malfunction will destroy one of your Artifiacts or an Atropian Key.
    • Adrenaline - This is your "kick ass and don't get hit" meter. As your Adrenaline level increases (max of level 5) you gain a number of benefits:
      • 1 blue homing projectile per Adrenaline level.
      • Level 1: Larger Overload window.
      • Level 2: Slight enemy vision through walls/objects (red outline).
      • Level 3: Melee attack cooldown reduced.
      • Level 4: Increased Proficiency Rate by 50%.
      • Level 5: Enemies drop 50% more Obolites.
    • Overload - Might be better understood as "Active Reload." This is a small window to press your Fire button again to reload your weapon faster.
    • Proficiency - Determines level of weapons when they are found/dropped. This weapon level dictates the number of attribute points, and higher levels contain better and more weapon perks. Proficiency is gained by defeating enemies and picking up the various sizes of Calibrators.
    • Parasites - These offer both a benefit and detriment while attached. These cannot be removed unless using specific Consumables or at a Parasite Extractor device. Some Parasites will detach after a criteria is reached (such as shielding three hits). Once a Parasite is detached both the positive and negative traits assocaited with it are lost.
    • Suit Augments - Current-run benefits that offer an increase to stats, such as max Integrity, Weapon Damage, Protection, and more.
    • Obolites - Current-run currency. When dropped by defeated enemies it will disappear quickly, but can be found in a number of other ways. You can spend this to Fabricate Consumables, Artifacts and Suit Augments.
    • Ether - Permanent currency (maxed at 30). This is most frequently obtained through single pickups (colored purple with a distinct waterlogged sound when near) but can also be obtained by defeating bosses (5 Ether) or exchanging at the Obolite Repository. Ether is used for a number of things, more commonly to cleanse Malignant chests and pickups before they are interacted with - doing so cleanses the chest/pickup and opens/obtains it. It can also be spent on Reconstructors.
    • Silphium - can be Malignant - Pickups that repair Integrity. These can be found as small, regular, and large sizes. These are not Consumables and repair your Integrity immediately upon pickup. Obtaining these while at full Integrity will provide Silphium Resin.
    • Silphium Resin - Can be Malignant - Pickups that increase current-run max Integrity once three are obtained (this number can be lowered with and Artifact). Can be found as Small (1) or Large (2).
      • Spoiled Resin - Not to be confused with Malignant Resin - which will always provide Resin with a chance for Malfunction - these will either provide Resin OR inflict a small amount of Integrity damage.
    • Consumables - One-time use items that offer a wide variety of possibilities, such as repairing Integrity, attacking enemies, removing Malfunctions, increasing Adrenaline, and much more.
    • Artifacts - Current-run benefits that last until death. These have a large range of benefits, and a description of each can be found within the in-game Equipment tab. Some benefits include preventing a single death, reducing the amount of Resin needed to increase max Integrity, repairing Integrity based on current Adrenaline level, and many many more.
    • Datacubes - Pickups that must be deposited into a Datacube Processor. Doing so will permanently unlock a new Artifact to the pool of possible Artifacts. You will also be offered one copy of the new Artifact upon depositing a new Datacube. These are commonly found hidden within each biome. Only one Datacube can be carried at a time, until it is deposited to a Datacube Processor.
    • Reconstructors - After spending 6 Ether these machines will re-spawn you upon death at their location as long as your death occurs in the same biome as as the device you have activated. If you activate one in the first biome, continue to the second, and die there (without activating the Reconstructor at that biome) you will re-start at the crash site.
    • Reclaimers - Bed-like device that "can" inflict a large amount of Integrity damage in exchange a benefit (I believe it's always an Artifact). From personal experience I always obtain Integrity damage when using these.
    • Inert Reclaimers - Bed-like device that repairs Integrity or increases it if you are at full Integrity. There is no cost to use this device.
    • Obolite Repository - Device which allows the conversion of Obolites into Ether and vice versa. Conversion rate is spend 300 Obolites to gain 5 Ether, and spend 5 Ether to gain 200 Obolites. If you deposit Obolites to the device (in exchange for Ether) you will also be presented with an Artifact once the community of players contribute a certain threshold of Obolites.
    • Cthonos - An obelisk-like structure near the crash site, covered in eyes. Spending Ether here will permanently add new Artifacts or Consumables to their respective pools. You will also be offered one copy of the newly unlocked Artifact or Consumable to obtain immediately. This process can be performed once per "run."
    Find this post helpful, but are still struggling with some stuff? I also made a Tips and Tricks post that can help! Head over to Post #7,718 to see!

I hope people find this helpful 😭 I love this game

Last edited:
    May 5 Patch countdown
  • shodgson8

Shinra Employee
    Aug 22, 2018
    Reminder - There is a patch due later today (countdown below), you should either disable updates while in rest mode or prepare to restart your run.

May 5, 2021 at 3:00 PM

Last edited: