• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
If you simply dislike Steve as a pick then this thread isn't about you

If you want to willfully conflate that then sure maybe the thread's about you after all

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The absolute best part of this thread, not the wall of shame, not the doubling down, but the reversal of narrative that somehow Mama is the badguy, not the posters who put their foot in their mouths.

Mama is such a fucking bully though, right guys???
Not denying this but tbf I can understand people coming in going "It was just a dumb knee jerk reaction" or "I was just mildly disappointed, I don't think I belong on the wall."

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as a 40 year old, there is nothing that makes me feel older than people my age or younger needlessly shitting on younger generations. Despite having been needlessly shit on by older generations when they were kids.

Minecraft isn't for me. A game with 80 fucking characters can stand to have a character from a game I don't like. It can stand to have characters from franchises old and new that appeal to all different age ranges.

But yeah. Maybe don't hate something because you can't connect to it and don't understand what younger people see in it.

yeah I kinda thought the millenial generation was gonna break the cycle of shitting on the kids.

I'm an oldish millennial and I love zoomers even if I don't share their taste when it comes to some things.

but it's disappointing to see us becoming like boomers already.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
bQQUhtF.jpg
By this standard I'm an eldritch god

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
It's clear that many people are not able to see past their own experiences to recognize that people exist outside themselves that like other things.

Pac-Man doesn't mean anything to teens today, but I'm pretty sure Minecraft is as big a deal as Mario.

I see this kind of attitude with Kingdom Hearts and how dismissive people get with the franchise. Teenage me thought it was such a big deal that I saved money and bought a PS2 for it. If Sora was revealed we would have a similar negative wave here.

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guess it depends on what you think Smash should be. It used to be a celebration of Nintendo properties and characters old and new. Some people grew with those games the same way people grew or are growing with Minecraft now. Extreme responses aside, it makes sense to me that one group would collide with the other.

On a personal note, the wall of shame is fun and all but maybe not the best way to have a constructive discussion moving forward.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The only actual reason you could be possibly against Steve's inclusion is because he was created by Notch.

Apart from that, the character looks great and they've done a great job with what his move set looks like.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only actual reason you could be possibly against Steve's inclusion is because he was created by Notch.

Apart from that, the character looks great and they've done a great job with what his move set looks like.

I just wish he animated better. He doesn't look visually interesting.

raeaburame

May 9, 2019
The funniest part to me is comparing these reactions to the reveal of Banjo, who hasn't been relevant since dial-up and vcr player. Generally the gaming side has had trouble accepting the industry's catering to a new cohort of consumers who didn't have the same childhood, and don't care about the same things they do. Hence the vitriol at a hugely popular character from a game that's a decade old at this point.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm indifferent to Steve. Tbh I'm just sad that I am yet again let down and Sephiroth hadn't made it to Smash.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
Is OP allowed to publicly commit mass murder without consequences?!

I'm not a huge fan of Steve, but honestly I'm not creative enough to propose a good DLC character.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
I see this kind of attitude with Kingdom Hearts and how dismissive people get with the franchise. Teenage me thought it was such a big deal that I saved money and bought a PS2 for it. If Sora was revealed we would have a similar negative wave here.
This reminds me of when Tron was revealed in KH2. It wasn't negative, people were mostly confused because they hadn't heard of Tron before. Lots of happy fans though.

Marie

Oct 25, 2017
Era is definitely in a gaming bubble.

Among Us has been blowing up for over a month and only like in the last 2 week was there a thread about the game and only 6 pages lol.

I don't get the hate for Minecraft dude. Smash has 70+ characters, ranging from decades ago to recent. So whats wrong with 1 inclusion of one of the best known games in recent time?

Oct 25, 2017
What is the point of the thread?
To show that there is an issue with discourse on era. People are posting offensive reactions and are just making an embarrassment of the forum. Posts like yours.

and if you don't like it, elevate yourself above gamefaqs level posting. Elaborate on why Steve is only iconic to pre-teen so we can maybe understand the garbage in your head.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I mean, this is nothing new... Resetera has always been an overreaction/hyperbole forum to the point where you just have to shake your head sometimes. It was the same(still is? haven't been there in forever) back with the old forum.

Oct 29, 2017
This. I find this OP and Mama Robotnik embarrassing for even making this thread to begin with. Trying to wall of shame people because their opinion doesn't match with yours? Who is acting childish now?
This is Trump level spin. The entire premise of this thread is not to show people who disagree or not like a decision, but to show how over the top the reactions were to something that, at the end of the day, doesn't fucking matter because its a god damn videogame.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Era is definitely in a gaming bubble.

Among Us has been blowing up for over a month and only like in the last 2 week was there a thread about the game and only 6 pages lol.

I don't get the hate for Minecraft dude. Smash has 70+ characters, ranging from decades ago to recent. So whats wrong with 1 inclusion of one of the best known games in recent time?
Does Era have an Among Us game going, beteedubs?

This is Trump level spin. The entire premise of this thread is not to show people who disagree or not like a decision, but to show how over the top the reactions were to something that, at the end of the day, doesn't fucking matter because its a god damn videogame.

Not only that, but a popular video game and that this inclusion is actually a huge deal and positive to literally tens to hundreds of millions of people.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know who the fuck "Steve" is. But I didn't know who the fuck "Joker" was either, cause it sure as shit wasn't the Batman guy.

Sep 17, 2020
I understand the "point" but i still don't see Minecraft players fans getting into Smash because of this. At best some might buy, play an hour or two and never come back.

If you could replace Link with a Steve skin in BOTW what do you think Minecraft players would do with the game?

Comet

Oct 27, 2017
Can we please pin that wall of salt at the top of this board? Cmon guys, grow up. It's a game. Shows the insane levels of entitlement in the gaming community. One thing is being disappointed, totally valid, but to call it trash and other things like that? Go outside.

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
I understand the "point" but i still don't see Minecraft players fans getting into Smash because of this. At best some might buy, play an hour or two and never come back.

If you could replace Link with a Steve skin in BOTW what do you think Minecraft players would do with the game?
It doesn't matter how long they play it as long as they buy the game and the DLC. That's all that matters for this inclusion. The core base will still play same as always just with a new character in the roster (that is sadly likely to be banned)

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real thing here is people need to take a step back and get some perspective in their lives.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
It's not as trendy as it once was, but gamers especially older ones still look down on mobile and casual games with disgust. A certain flavour of elitism and gatekeeping drives this extreme reaction to the announcement.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
The absolute best part of this thread, not the wall of shame, not the doubling down, but the reversal of narrative that somehow Mama is the badguy, not the posters who put their foot in their mouths.

Mama is such a fucking bully though, right guys???

people on the Wall of Shame coming together in solidarity to push back against the bully known as Mama Robotnik has been quite something to behold

think those people would do well to take this less in a "I was included on this post, I'm being painted as terrible, the injustice!!!!" way and more in a "I was included in this post, wow, so this is what it looks like to be part of a massive collective overreaction, even if somewhat inadvertently..... huh" way

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
We don't need a wall of shame thread, especially one where all of the people involved are named, quoted, and tagged. That's asking for an argument to break out.

Status
Not open for further replies.