CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix needs Nintendo more than Nintendo needs Netflix, IMO.

Netflix has 118 million subscribers worldwide as of the beginning of the year. Netflix is on tons of devices. How exactly does Netflix need Nintendo?
Having a Netflix app adds value to the Switch for many people around the world who already have a Netflix account.
How many people who don't have a Netflix account but have a Switch are going to subscribe to Netflix just because there's an app on the Switch.

Arimanaguchi

Oct 25, 2017
San Antonio, Texas
Hi Guys, just a reminder that Hulu is on the Switch (with Live Television!)

(Disclosure: I'm a Hulu employee)

That aside, wasn't it already confirmed Netflix and Youtube apps were coming?

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
Thats crazy talk. How does Netflix need Nintendo?
Nintendo is fine with selling Switches without any mention of supporting video players. They don't consider it a value proposition for their product.

Netflix makes watching their content anywhere a major value proposition for their product; not being available for a platform hurts them.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hi Guys, just a reminder that Hulu is on the Switch (with Live Television!)

That aside, wasn't it already confirmed Netflix and Youtube apps were coming?

Is my theory that Disney is strong arming Nintendo into keeping Netflix from the Switch in exchange for exclusive Disneyflix rights?

blink once if it's true, blink twice if it's super true

full

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
Options are good, but after watching it on S9 in HDR I wouldn't waste one of my Netflix sub screens on Switch.

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo is the company too cheap to license codecs like Dolby for their consoles, so it makes sense if they are playing hardball with Netflix.

I would be surprised if Netflix wanted some sort of economic incentive to come to their platform that EVERY other device maker is willing to pay because the Netflix brand is so big.

And Nintendo is shocking them by not wanting to pay it, with Reggie hoping our demands to Netflix will give Nintendo leverage.

The truth is Nintendo needs Netflix if they are going to sell the Switch to parents this Christmas instead of an iPad as a child placation device.

But of course they don't see it that way and are willing to pay a big cost in lost sales to avoid a precedent where they pay for this sort of thing.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why doesn't Nintendo just reach out to Netflix? Send them a devkit? It is in both their interests. The Hulu app on Switch made me get a Hulu subscription.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
I don't believe that Netflix, the company who made apps for the Wii U and Vita, would still be ignoring the Switch almost 18 months after release.

The fact that YouTube, Amazon and most other prominent media apps aren't there either lead me to believe it's a Nintendo problem.
It's why it is so strange, seems like something has poisoned the well.

I wonder if Nintendo's early push for it being "only games" left app devs like Netflix, Amazon, and YouTube out in the cold for a certain time period. It would be extremely stupid but not necessarily surprising.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
I think when Reggie states it like this it means that Nintendo will approach game devs and indie devs to deliver content for Switch....but they wont approach Netflix or Amazon for those video apps. I think Netflix tried to make it happen around launch got shut down for whatever reason....now they arent moving a finger unless Nintendo approaches them. They(Netflix) probably arent used to deal with the Nintendo BS xD
Who knows, but if Nintendo shut them down back then, it means that Nintendo has a saying in the process. It would make sense in the way that there has to be some agreement in bringing the streaming apps to Switch, which i think sounds likely. Not sure how the situation is now though.

Nintendo is fine with selling Switches without any mention of supporting video players. They don't consider it a value proposition for their product.

Netflix makes watching their content anywhere a major value proposition for their product; not being available for a platform hurts them.
You're technically right, but i dont think that this will affect Netflix's userbase much at all. I cant really see someone canceling their subscription because Netflix not being available on the Switch.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
For me, Netflix is one of those features that sounds nice but I'd rarely use it.

But it's still an important feature to have if you want to also establish the console as a competent home media box. Nintendo's statements thus far (we're focusing on gaming, ask Netflix, etc.) just sound like excuses. If the ball was truly in Netflix's court, we'd have more than 1 video streaming service on the Switch by now. This is more than likely a problem with Nintendo rather than a problem with Netflix.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017

Look at Netflix stock, they are doing fine without Switch. Around 400 dollars per share and up over 100 percent year over year. Being on switch would be nice but it's not like the bottom line is being affected not being on the platform.

JJConrad

Nov 3, 2017
I've seen two theories that have some merit, but I tend towards believing the later:

1st) - Nintendo and Netflix can't agree on the terms. Netflix is a radically larger company than they were the last time they released their app on a Nintendo system and they've changed their policies to reflect that. The changes are mostly involving over user data and privacy.

2nd) - Netflix simply doesn't care. In March 2018, a Netflix executive gave the excuse for their absence on Switch being that Nintendo wanted to focus on games and hadn't provided the support the necessary tools to bring over the app. This information was confirmed to be true by Julian Eggebrecht (Factor 5, Hulu) at launch... AND that it was no longer an issue as of October 2017. Netflix likely was once interested but never looked back to the Switch... which would explain the exec using such an outdated excuse like he had.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix probably assumed, like many others, that Switch would flop, and were caught with their pants down. Sooner or later, they'll have to admit their mistake by releasing an app for it. I'd be shocked if this year ends without it launching.
That makes no sense, why should netflix care if nintendo sell 20 consoles or 20 million, haha, they dont lose anything based off nintendo console market share.
I think they just lazy and dont want to program for the switch at this time. Or nin is being a dick to netflix.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Nintendo is the company too cheap to license codecs like Dolby for their consoles, so it makes sense if they are playing hardball with Netflix.

I would be surprised if Netflix wanted some sort of economic incentive to come to their platform that EVERY other device maker is willing to pay because the Netflix brand is so big.

And Nintendo is shocking them by not wanting to pay it, with Reggie hoping our demands to Netflix will give Nintendo leverage.

The truth is Nintendo needs Netflix if they are going to sell the Switch to parents this Christmas instead of an iPad as a child placation device.

But of course they don't see it that way and are willing to pay a big cost in lost sales to avoid a precedent where they pay for this sort of thing.
Switch is much cheaper than an iPad to be fair

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
I don't see any way this isn't the result of something Nintendo messed up on. Netflix has never shied away from any platform with a screen and a modicum of success.

I got stranded in another town for a night with just my Switch and mini dock. It was nice being able to still watch what I wanted on the hotel TV. A lot of people only have Netflix though.

Last edited:

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Gold star for one of the funniest posts of the day.
I mean, it's not like Nintendo needs Netflix either lol
So if I needed to choose "does Nintendo needs Netflix more or does Netflix needs Nintendo more", then Netflix sure needs Nintendo more.
No one will buy a Switch just in order to watch Netflix. But if Netflix is on Switch ? Then some people may want to subscribe to Netflix if that help them understand what is really Netflix.
But Netflix does not need Nintendo, that's for sure.
Still, not the "funniest" comment of the day, that's for sure. Not on resetera lmao

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
Which ones? It's literally just Netflix and Vudu in terms of big ones, and Vudu hasn't ever supported Nintendo AFAIK.
Netflix, Vudu, HBO, YouTube (not even YouTube gaming), Twitch, Amazon.

The list goes on. These companies put their shit on literally every device imaginable. That alone makes it seem like Nintendo is the one holding out here

Oct 28, 2017
Thats on sale though correct, there's been times you could get a Switch on eBay or Newegg for like $264.99. I'm talking retail price here.

Ok in that case you can get a 10 inch iPad from Apple for only $30 more than the Switch. They are pretty comparable from the perspective of a parent who doesn't know much about technology but just wants their kids to behave in the doctor's waiting room.

Oct 27, 2017
So many dumb theories in this thread. Netflix was on the 3DS and Wii U. It's not any nonsense with strong arming, or codecs, or whatever bizarre secret dealings you think may be involved. In all likelihood, Nintendo wasn't offering their SDK to non developers to create apps, they opened it up/made a deal for Hulu and NicoNico, and the Netflix app is probably still being assessed by them/developed

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Netflix is on Wii, 3ds and Wii U so there goes that theory. This is on Netflix and thats that

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
On a personal level, I much prefer Hulu (and Amazon and FilmStruck) over Netflix, but its absence is clearly baffling -- it's far more important to the average consumer. Nintendo's "we wanted to offer a gaming-centric platform first" rhetoric makes no god damned sense when Hulu is right there. I think the Switch's messaging has been plenty clear in the past year-and-half; apps aren't going to muddle things up, they're only going to offer more value. There's really no reason to hold back on basic apps like YouTube or a web browser (already part of the OS), either.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm inclined to believe Reggie. If Netflix won't even commit to an app at this point, they probably have some potentially dubious demands.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I used to think Reggie was kind of a fun, funny guy

I have a strong dislike for his stoogery now, I don't trust a thing that comes out of his mouth.

There is no reason to have to click on "profiles" when you click on the little head at the top of the screen, it's totally redundant. You're trying to get to profiles, profiles is the only option, why does it have to be clicked?

Please ask them why this is a thing at the next employee barbeque

Smiles

Oct 27, 2017
Reggie flames hate and frustrations for no good reason or at least NCL does, they are so secretive about EVERYTHING, I could almost understand the games, I've gotten use to that but Netflix and other minor things that do not relate to their core business they should just be open about it.

there has to be a reason Hulu jumped in but no Netflix, no Amazon, no Youtube. Even if something is a month away from release Nintendo still straight out lies about it. NCL seem to love Reggie this is more their style this is how they play it. I doubt Reggie could be more open without them saying so. You guys have to remember that Nintendo TVii thing on the WiiU was like his baby and it crashed and burned maybe they have another try coming.