• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mark H

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Nintendo forgot to actually tell Netflix that they can now get on board, and this is the first time they're hearing it.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
While I think it's technically on Netflix (they're probably like "oh Nintendo isn't focusing on streaming apps yet, let's just take this one off the table for now and focus on other devices), it should seem like initiative is on Nintendo to get Netflix on the device. I think almost every gaming console since the last gen EXCEPT the Switch has, in some way, aimed to partly be a media device and aggressively get popular apps on there.

chronomac

Oct 25, 2017
Mobile, AL
Thank you both.

My guess is that Nintendo wasn't talking to Netflix much near the launch of the system (for the reasons Reggie mentions) but have started to do so recently and are waiting on Netflix to respond, or something to that effect.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Company that is an absolute shitshow regarding online services blames media empire for lack of app.

Yeah, that reads as believable.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I can happily do without online media service Netflix on my portable gaming device.

At any point I have about 3 things which can play Netflix, it is just clutter on a system to put it on Switch.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Netflix would be nice. YouTube would be nice too. But do you know what I want more than both of those combined? PLEX. Let me stream my existing media library to the device! That would bring the Switch to "neat media device" to "my favourite media device."
You know, I need to get into Plex. I have a bunch of Blu-rays laying around that I rather not look at anymore. I should invest in a Blu-ray drive.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Company that is an absolute shitshow regarding online services blames media empire for lack of app.

Yeah, that reads as believable.
Netflix was on Wii, WiiU and 3DS.
Hulu, NicoNico are on Switch....if Reggie says they are open to Netflix on Switch, Netflix has to deliver.

Reggie isnt crazy enough for such a statement if they were the ones blocking Netflix from releasing the app at this point. Doesnt make any sense.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't an uncommon attitude for Nintendo to have. They have been noted in the past as not being proactive when it comes to pulling 3rd party games and apps, particularly outside of Japan. Usually because they expect developers to just show up because they have a successful platform. I get the impression that this is in part due to most of the decision making and support being centralized in NoJ. The fact that Netflix is on everything would make one assume that Nintendo did something to sour the relationship, or has not pursued it at all. Particularly considering it has been over a year since launch.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
They have a Hulu app, though, so there's clearly more to it than that
My best guess is that probably Nintendo wants usage data from the app (either aggregate or individual level) and that Netflix isn't willing to give it up.

Nintendo could benefit a lot from knowing precisely what people are watching on the Switch, and use that info to either inform their own dev teams or to court third-parties, and obviously that data is one of Netflix's most precious commodities.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Netflix was on Wii, WiiU and 3DS.
Hulu, NicoNico are on Switch....if Reggie says they are open to Netflix on Switch, Netflix has to deliver.

Reggie isnt crazy enough for such a statement if they were the ones blocking Netflix from releasing the app at this point. Doesnt make any sense.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees how absurd this "Nintendo's fault" narrative seems.

Storminormin

Jan 14, 2018
I'm almost thinking Netflix wants Nintendo to pay some kind of compensation (or even just resources/assistance) for creating the app, or Nintendo wanting something from Netflix.

If one company is demanding something from the other, and the other refuses to acknowledge that demand, in my eyes it might explain why Netflix is stating "Ask Nintendo", and Nintendo is stating "Ask Netflix".

Trying to make the other side look bad to pressure them into meeting some kind of demand.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
it is on netflix best interest to have the app on switch. they might get more subscriptions, since some gamers might sign up just for the switch. I guess it is problem with both, nintendo is being picky, and netflix does not want to do the extra steps that nintendo requires

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah agreed. This is probably the weirdest thing about the Switch overall... why is Nintendo being so cagey about simple things like streaming apps?
It's because they will have people defending Nintendo regarding no streaming apps even if it would make the Switch better. They should have more streaming apps on the Switch, I feel it is something that Nintendo doesn't want at the moment.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees how absurd this "Nintendo's fault" narrative seems.
What's absurd is the Nintendo is blameless mentality.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
What's absurd is the Nintendo is blameless mentality.
"Blameless", no. As I said, it's clear that they had a games-only stance early on, and they're to blame for that, but things have changed. It's possible they never reached out to Netflix, but I doubt they've turned Netflix down.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
"Blameless", no. As I said, it's clear that they had a games-only stance early on, and they're to blame for that, but things have changed. It's possible they never reached out to Netflix, but I doubt they've turned Netflix down.

Or Netflix is asking too much money for supporting their platform?

May 5, 2018
I think Netflix wants Nintendo to do the work of making it or at least help. The app on Wii U said it was published by Nintendo. I assumed that meant they had a hand in making it, especially since it was built around the gamepad features. And Nintendo wants Netflix to do it so they don't have to put their resources into it.

I'd be interested to know if Sony and Microsoft helped with their respective apps.

Oct 27, 2017
It's really dumb to not have Netflix on it considering how many devices it is made for that sell far less than what the switch sells in one quarter, let alone yearly or lifetime

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
aPvxyeG_700b.jpg

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
The big reason why I cant recommend the switch right now to people who doesnt really play games is the lack of media apps. I know they have their phones and such for everything else but a decently powered device you can take anywhere not being able to have youtube or netflix will turn away the non hardcore.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Maybe they realized it was a mistake.

Whether it was a mistake or not would be based on how many people were using it, not the screen quality. From a business perspective, as long as the audience is there, shitty screen quality is irrelevant. So even if they decided 3DS was a mistake due to no one using it, Switch would be worth taking a look since it selling so much quicker out the gate.

Also 720p isn't that bad realistically. There are still people out there watching Netflix on 720p TVs. It's a lot more suitable for watching movies on than 3DS's fuck ugly dot matrix anyway.

TLDR: Screen quality doesn't matter, how many people they think will use it does

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I know they have their phones and such for everything else but a decently powered device you can take anywhere not being able to have youtube or netflix will turn away the non hardcore.

This doesn't make sense.

They have phones which has everything they need on it and are portable, but you won't recommend a Switch because it won't double up on things they can already have.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to take the sides as I don't have insights to either company's decision making. All I know is that I can use Netflix on just about any electronic entertainment device I bought this decade, be those gaming consoles, mobile phones, computers, tablets, TVs. I could understand the 3DS not having it (those screens are ass), but the Switch has no excuse. I'm pretty sure they could have created an app (or made one already) in the past 15 months or so, the Switch's success has been evident for a while. There are also other video apps on it already, plus there are f2p games now. I don't think Netflix is unable to make the app for Switch because of a lack of technical skills or that they are intentionally ignoring a console that is selling very well. I'm much more inclined to believe there is something wrong on Nintendo's side, but who am I to judge. This August I'm going on holiday and I hope I'll have it by then.

Oct 27, 2017
My best guess is that probably Nintendo wants usage data from the app (either aggregate or individual level) and that Netflix isn't willing to give it up.

Nintendo could benefit a lot from knowing precisely what people are watching on the Switch, and use that info to either inform their own dev teams or to court third-parties, and obviously that data is one of Netflix's most precious commodities.

I doubt Nintendo even remotely cares about that stuff

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Just do it already. Switch is a good Netflix console, because it's so easy to move it around and dock it into a TV. I've been wanting this since day 1.