tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
This is actually my most wanted feature on the switch.
Screw online and VC, with this I could toss out the tablet we use in the car for the kids :)

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
18heo90x9b1pcjpg.jpg

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
One would assume Nintendo wants to give it's customers the best possible experience on their devices with as many features as possible. But obviously they don't give a fuck.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I know nothing, but I imagine this is a case of Netflix demanding Nintendo to support certain technologies in their OS, without which they would have to develop from scratch to fit the platform. And on Nintendo's side they seem to be having issues evolving and developing for the Switch OS and that is not in their priority list.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
But didn't Netflix say it was in Nintendos court and I'm more inclined to believe them to be honest.

Yes, that was literally the first response we got from either company regarding the issue, Netflix said Nintendo wanted to focus on being a gaming platform. This shit is stupid. Spotify, Netflix and Youtube should be on Switch.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The fact he immediately continues with Switch being a gaming-first platform leads me to believe Reggie is full of shit. Netflix most likely approached Nintendo early on, got the same answer ('We want to focus on gaming first') and hasn't been back since.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
What happened to the Zelda Netflix series rumors ? Lets hope Netflix isnt salty because of it or because Nintendo wasnt moneyhatting or begging for the app in the first couple months of Switchs lifecycle.

The fact he immediately continues with Switch being a gaming-first platform leads me to believe Reggie is full of shit. Netflix most likely approached Nintendo early on, got the same answer ('We want to focus on gaming first') and hasn't been back since.
Kinda weird that something like this would piss off Netflix so much that they are playing hard to get now.
They were probably hoping for some pref. treatment as in early dev-kits and some cross-promo and Nintendo was like " Nah, we good"

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you both.

My guess is that Nintendo wasn't talking to Netflix much near the launch of the system (for the reasons Reggie mentions) but have started to do so recently and are waiting on Netflix to respond, or something to that effect.
That's probably exactly it. We have on the record interviews from Nintendo and developers that illustrated how much gatekeeping Nintendo was doing. I doubt that initial stance applied to games only.

but at this point, holding off on Switch doesn't make sense. The Switch is an established success, and Netflix puts its app on everything. I wonder what the hold up is?
At some point people have to stop asking themselves why so many companies are "holding off on Switch" and start looking at the common denominator. We're talking about a company that to this day is being stingy about licensing codecs needed for voice chat. Adding to their extensive history of penny pinching that has been a part of the company from the start.

Is the Switch so successful that Nintendo can bully Netflix? Nintendo could make it happen if they wanted to. Netflix comes to everything.

yado

Oct 25, 2017
Could be. Why would Nintendo block them?

I don't know. I know Netflix isn't an outlier here, Id'd be more inclined to believe this was all on Netflix if they were they only major streaming platform that didn't have an app on the Switch. It's highly unlikely that all the others don't want their app on the Switch as well.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I don't know. I know Netflix isn't an outlier here, Id'd be more inclined to believe this was all on Netflix if they were they only major streaming platform that didn't have an app on the Switch. It's highly unlikely that all the others don't want their app on the Switch as well.

True, but Hulu is available in the US. Seems weird that Nintendo has a romance with them and "only wants them on Switch".

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
This is clearly on Nintendo, all we got is Hulu and I'm more surprised we for that before Netflix tbh.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netflix is acting like a greedy bastard, I am pretty sure of that. I mean, raising the prices all the time, offering so bad options for people, being generally pretty pants... Fits the pattern.

I mean, it would fit the both ball courts. Nintendo doesn't want to pay Netflix/bend over in other ways, and Netflix wants Nintendo to do their bidding.

Conspiracies about Nintendo blocking Netflix is laughable. Come on now...

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
My guess is that Netflix wants some concession that Nintendo is unwilling to make. If Netflix is asking for something that would cost Nintendo money, I could see why they would refer you back to Netflix.
Makes me wonder what it could be since the app has been on every Nintendo plattform so far. Hell its on the freaking 3DS.

Probably something along the lines of "allowing downloads for offline-play" and Nintendo doesnt want users to fill up their space for potential games/purchases with Breaking Bad episodes lol.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Makes me wonder what it could be since the app has been on every Nintendo plattform so far. Hell its on the freaking 3DS.

Probably something along the lines of "allowing downloads for offline-play" and Nintendo doesnt want users to fill up their space for potential games/purchases with Breaking Bad episodes lol.
This seems possible, I was also thinking maybe Netflix needs a Switch Dev kit to actually make the app and Nintendo won't give them one on the house, hence the "he said, she said" of it all.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
How hard or time consuming is it to make an app for a platform like that? I really have no idea.
Not at all. Netflix is used to doing this and is good at it.
This seems possible, I was also thinking maybe Netflix needs a Switch Dev kit to actually make the app and Nintendo won't give them one on the house, hence the "he said, she said" of it all.
The <500$ for a devkit isn't what's holding this up, come on.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah...def. silly at this point - i still think the app will be on Switch in the next couple months.
The <500$ for a devkit isn't what's holding this up, come on.
Might be more of a principle thing...like " we are providing their Plattform with one of the most used apps on the planet and they arent even going to provide us with everything necessary or make up for the fact that they cockblocked us during launch" xD

Netflix probably isnt used to having to beg multiple times to get on a system...they were probably excited for Switch at launch, but the way Nintendo handled it is leaving a lasting impression.

Oct 30, 2017
"Ask Netflix" doesnt really cut it. I should know better than to rely on Nintendo for basic media functionality, but c'mon.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
Netflix is acting like a greedy bastard, I am pretty sure of that. I mean, raising the prices all the time, offering so bad options for people, being generally pretty pants... Fits the pattern.

I mean, it would fit the both ball courts. Nintendo doesn't want to pay Netflix/bend over in other ways, and Netflix wants Nintendo to do their bidding.

Conspiracies about Nintendo blocking Netflix is laughable. Come on now...
How much is Netflix today compared to before? Any history on their prices? Just curious since you say that they raise the prices all the time.

Big_Erk

Oct 27, 2017
Chief's Kingdom

Yeah, that could be. It doesn't really make sense for it not to be there at this time. I tend to believe Reggie when he says the ball is in Netflix's court. Nintendo has never been one to flat out lie about something. They will keep silent and withhold info but tend to shy away from blatant misinformation.

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
They're going to shadow drop this like Hollow Knight.

Sometimes I appreciate Nintendo "surprises," other times I wish they just announced things that are ready.

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
True, but Hulu is available in the US. Seems weird that Nintendo has a romance with them and "only wants them on Switch".
Julian Eggebrecht (Hulu executive) is practically a Nintendo insider.
He was supplying software and hardware for N64, GameCube and Wii and was instrumental in getting Hulu onto the switch.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/11/...app-wasnt-available-when-the-switch-launched/
In this article he even says that Nintendo didn't want it initially due to "political reasons". Helps to be an insider to overcome such problems.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
Then what is? There are other streaming apps on the switch and as you say yourself "Netflix can do it". What's stopping this from happening besides some rediculous stipulation from either side?
Some reasonable but unusual stipulation, probably. I've already given my best guess.

My best guess is that probably Nintendo wants usage data from the app (either aggregate or individual level) and that Netflix isn't willing to give it up.

Nintendo could benefit a lot from knowing precisely what people are watching on the Switch, and use that info to either inform their own dev teams or to court third-parties, and obviously that data is one of Netflix's most precious commodities.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Julian Eggebrecht (Hulu executive) is practically a Nintendo insider.
He was supplying software and hardware for N64, GameCube and Wii and was instrumental in getting Hulu onto the switch.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/11/...app-wasnt-available-when-the-switch-launched/
In this article he even says that Nintendo didn't want it initially due to "political reasons". Helps to be an insider to overcome such problems.

I saw the NVC interview with him where he talked about the Hulu and other things. Apparently the 4.0 Switch OS update was when the required stuff for Hulu/Netflix was added. I believe that OS update was in October 2017.

Nov 1, 2017
It would be nice to see someone write an article comparing both Nintendo's and Netflix' statements and getting down to the bottom of what's causing the delay.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
I don't believe that Netflix, the company who made apps for the Wii U and Vita, would still be ignoring the Switch almost 18 months after release.

The fact that YouTube, Amazon and most other prominent media apps aren't there either lead me to believe it's a Nintendo problem.

test_account

Oct 25, 2017
In the same inteview, Reggie points out that Nintendo wanted to focus on making it a gaming platform first and foremost. If Netflix, or any other streaming company for that matter, can just release anything on the system, why would it matter if Nintendo wanted to focus on it being a gaming system first and foremost? Why does Nintendo have to do anything in regards to Netflix?

The whole thing doesnt really make sense to me, on both ends. EDIT: Thinking more about it, i think that there has to be some kinda agreement/contract in place first. I have no idea what the terms are, but that would make sense to me at least, otherwise i dont see why more streaming services wouldnt just simply port their client over to the Switch.

Reggie also says that "we enabled Hulu on the platform", although "enabled" can simply mean that its now available, i guess.

Last edited:

haimon

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
I'm not certain of anything beyond that it would be illogical and bordering on lunacy to believe that Nintendo is arbitrarily blocking off some streaming services but not Hulu.

And yes, I guess no one but me and my friends knows what Vudu is or uses it a lot. News to me, actually. I know more people who use Vudu than Prime, Hulu, or Crunchyroll.
You have seen Nintendo's voice chat app solution, right?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
In the same inteview, Reggie points out that Nintendo wanted to focus on making it a gaming platform first and foremost. If Netflix, or any other streaming company for that matter, can just release anything on the system, why would it matter if Nintendo wanted to focus on it being a gaming system first and foremost? Why does Nintendo have to do anything in regards to Netflix?

The whole thing doesnt really make sense to me, on both ends. EDIT: Thinking more about it, i think that there has to be some kinda agreement/contract in place first. I have no idea what the terms are, but that would make sense to me at least, otherwise i dont see why more streaming services wouldnt just simply port their client over to the Switch.

Reggie also says that "we enabled Hulu on the platform", although "enabled" can simply mean that its now available, i guess.

I think when Reggie states it like this it means that Nintendo will approach game devs and indie devs to deliver content for Switch....but they wont approach Netflix or Amazon for those video apps. I think Netflix tried to make it happen around launch got shut down for whatever reason....now they arent moving a finger unless Nintendo approaches them. They(Netflix) probably arent used to deal with the Nintendo BS xD

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking around my room right now and out of ~dozen electronic devices only the Air Conditioner and the Switch don't have Netflix. So its hard for me to believe that Netflix is singling out the Switch when a big part of their strategy seems to be focused on making sure they're on everything.

Plum

May 31, 2018
It is looking like, alongside Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Madden, Need for Speed, and more, Netflix will be another thing that was released on both the Vita and Wii U but not on the Switch.

I'm more interested in a Youtube app right now, but I really don't see that happening either.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt we will go another year without Netflix on Switch. Then again, I was shocked it wasn't on the system sooner so who knows. Such a weird situation.