Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Knowing that you can't move out of your parents house because you could not literally afford to rent an apartment without having 3 other people rent with you.

Seeing your childhood friends GTFO of your home town and move to completely other states.

Post-college depression from how much experiences you no longer will enjoy.

Struggling to save money living paycheck to paycheck.

Trying to learn and just survive in your career without fucking up royally.

Mounting pressure to find stability in life and establish and start a family. Mounting pressure just to find a a half way decent relationship. Mounting pressure to just find some right for you.

Seeing the country literally fall the fuck apart and feeling useless to do anything about it because of the people in positions of power.

Trying to maintain a healthy life both physically and mentally...

Shit sucks man.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You'll either get used to it and learn how to tough out the waves.

Or somehow overcome and have an above average life.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Knowing that you can't move out of your parents house because you could not literally afford to rent an apartment without having 3 other people rent with you.

Seeing your childhood friends GTFO of your home town and move to completely other states.

Post-college depression from how much experiences you no longer will enjoy.

Struggling to save money living paycheck to paycheck.

Trying to learn and just survive in your career without fucking up royally.

Mounting pressure to find stability in life and establish and start a family. Mounting pressure just to find a a half way decent relationship. Mounting pressure to just find some right for you.

Seeing the country literally fall the fuck apart and feeling useless to do anything about it because of the people in positions of power.

Trying to maintain a healthy life both physically and mentally...

Shit sucks man.
I was there too. I promise you, it gets better.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
You should try living with other people. It's not a big deal, honestly. Could be fun, in fact.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not super young anymore, but when trump won it was such a blow to my world view. I thought we might see the world in a good place before I died, and now I see that was just wishful thinking.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I don't know your situation OP, but I sometimes think people could improve their outlook at least a little with a two week sabbatical from the Internet. Like, you can do email and work by necessity, but completely cut yourself off from twitter, social media, all forums, news sites, etc. I'm convinced the near constant drumbeat of negativity that many people subject themselves to since the smartphone revolution cannot be a net positive for their outlook and mental state.

EDIT - Sadly, I think most people would find this difficult or impossible to do. Many are addicted to it, and don't even realize how it is impacting them psychologically.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Shit totally sucks, but if you can thrive of it, You'll be an amazing dudes. Find some positive people to talk about your worries. Even better if you can get a mentor. You don't have to do it all alone.

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, I'm in the same situation OP. I'm just slowly making self improvements while trying to find something so I can move out.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
OP you either adapt, learn, and overcome to get a better life.
Or, you don't and life gets worse.
Got to find the small positives to help you reach something bigger.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
I lived with 2 or 3 people til I was 28 or so until I moved in with my future wife. I had friends living together until their mid 30s. Its definitely tough especially with wages not keeping up and the crazy rents in cities.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
That's when you realize you had the best years of your life and didn't even realize it.

Welcome to adulthood. It's all downhill from here. Learn how to deal with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
blew off an interview for a job today so i could sleep in and I hate myself for it while also knowing if I even got a job I'd still want to kill myself so whats the point of working. I spent a weekend in Austin getting stoned and drunk and I still felt miserable while I was there.

now i'm eating a large pizza by myself and about to watch Its Always Sunny because I'm an adult motherfucker

Oct 27, 2017
Arizona
ROLLS EYES

what a stupid question
I am being completely serious. Even if you have outrageous student loans, how do you not have enough money to put some in savings if you already have a job in your field? Do you have some crazy medical bills?

If you aren't making enough money, get a 2nd job doing anything. Sell your car and get something more affordable. Live within your means.

You are living with your parents, do anything to save up enough to get out of there.

That's when you realize you had the best years of your life and didn't even realize it.

Welcome to adulthood. It's all downhill from here. Learn how to deal with it.
In my case my teenage years were actually among the worst in my life due to health issues. While my young adult life so far has been an improvement to that by comparison many of the struggles the OP mentioned really resonate with me.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am being completely serious. Even if you have outrageous student loans, how do you not have enough money to put some in savings if you already have a job in your field? Do you have some crazy medical bills?

If you aren't making enough money, get a 2nd job doing anything. Sell your car and get something more affordable. Live within your means.

You are living with your parents, do anything to save up enough to get out of there.
Anime figures don't pay for themselves

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Can we like...not project our own feelings onto OP's situation and not bring more unwarranted negativity into the world or this forum? For once?
No.

The things OP is going through resonate with a lot of people. Couldn't leave my parents house until I had a steady paying job (I'm outside the US, spare me the "I live alone since high school", things are very different where I live), things won't be better in the job and money fields. I drag myself out of bed every morning to work a job I hate but somehow I gotta keep on doing this shit because I have a bit of hope that I can turn things around.

That's what I mean with " learn how to deal with it", otherwise I would have fucking hung myself already by this point. But turns out dying is kinda costly and that would make a dent on my already retired parents economy, so I guess that's not an option.

Grug

Oct 26, 2017
Spoiler alert: as you age, it doesn't get any better.

This is not necessarily true at all, and is a potentially harmful and dangerous thing to say to people who are going through a patch of depression. It comes across as projection and wanting to drag people into your comfortable pit of sadness and apathy. Reminds me of incels posting "suifuel" on their revolting little forums.

In my experience your mindset and worldview constantly evolves and you come to peace with a lot of things that would have caused you existential despair in earlier phases of your life. There's a reason you don't see swathes of 60 year olds crying and wailing in the streets that there is nothing worth living for and that their inevitable mortality is a constant source of terror.

There was a time in my late 20s, early 30s where I was utterly consumed by the overwhelming feeling that I was a mere drone trapped in meaningless and perpetual wage slavery until the point where my mind and body would inevitably decline beyond the point of usefulness. I was a depressed and anxious mess and thought that that was just a normal part of growing up and that I would be locked in that state forever.

Now I'm pushing 40, have a kid, a lower paying but more meaningful job, have come out the other side of a cancer battle and am way, way more at peace with the world, my mortality, the circle of life, the ability to embrace the moments of happiness amongst the stress and pressures of modern life.

The poets, writers and songwriters don't just write about the "seasons" of our lives for nothing. It's real. Keep trucking along and see where it takes you.

Last edited:

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
The reason the older gens don't give a shit is because they are in it deep too. They just fail to realize that they were conned, yet for some reason, decide to push hate at younger people and make fun of them.

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think most people want to grow up ASAP when they are young and then realize when they are grown up that it has only gotten worse.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019

It's easier said than done. Shit sucks. I've been working full time and saving money for five years and I barely have enough for a down payment on a house near greater Toronto area, no way you can buy or afford anything without sharing the cost with a few other people.

Cost of living is particularly high around here, you can do what you can to minimize your spending and maximize your savings but it's still hard as fuck.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It seems that a huge part of your struggle is doing things alone, so you have weight of the world on your shoulders. Get help. Build our support systems.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
Share houses in your 20s can be huge fun if you get decent house mates & are able to have accomodation stability for a few years. Shit, I spent 8 years between 28-36 until my now wife & I moved in together and it was great.

The relationship stuff tho - where is this pressure coming from? Family? The media? Because your peer group are doing it?

Life pressures come in different flavours - there's survival pressures like rent, bills etc that you have to find a solution for. These then lead to employment pressures - can I get work, do I like the work, what might I do otherwise?

Unless you're really lucky, or are going into s long-term profession like law, teaching or medicine, you'll probably have to shop around until you find a niche you're happy with, and that leads on to the point about leaving home - you may well need to do that in order to find a job/company you can find that niche in.

But relationship stuff, you can leave that by the roadside until you choose to address it. I get you'll have internal pressure about it, but try ignoring family etc giving you grief about it.

*written from the comfortable perspective of being 46*

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
uKeByjz.gif

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
go out to the store, spend 5 dollars on some chocolate ice cream.
also slowly work to improve your situation while minimizing your losses as much as possible.