Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I'm Happy, I'd rather delete a game now and again rather than pay $599 or have a massively limited OS.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf? If you're in retail and still can't figure out that these SSD's cost more than hdd no matter what the situation is. You need a new job. It's not about convincing you about anything. I couldn't care less about your purchasing decision, but you're here bitching about something none of us can control
Except to spend more money on storage. lol

Going to be rude here because this kind of shit annoys me to high hell.

I'm not in retail. That said, I didn't ask for you passive slights toward my job, life or anything else you fucking goofball. And I'm sorry for getting pissy, but some of you get a stick up your ass where you get way too personal with others over some bullshit. You don't fucking know me, my history, or my knowledge. I find the console less of a value than you because of the storage. I've owned PlayStations since the original, so it's not like I hate sony. I'm allowed to feel how I like regarding value. That's all. If you don't care about my purchase habits, stop pretending you know something about me after reading a couple posts and move the hell on. Less shocked rather than simply thinking it's poor. I assume I'm allowed to say how I feel about storage capabilities of consoles going forward without further bullshit?

Last edited:

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad I guess. I can work with that. Think I'll be going big external HDD for old ps4 games that don't benefit from the nvme speed.

Games like Monster Hunter World will be on the internal for sure.

Edit: also have a spare SSD so that will also be used as external.

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Bummer, curious to see if the extra SSD speed is worth the ~150gb difference between the XSX

Should be enough for me though, unless stuff like Forbidden West is 200gb...

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Going to be rude here because this kind of shit annoys me to high hell.

I'm not in retail. That said, I didn't ask for you passive slights toward my job, life or anything else you fucking goofball. And I'm sorry for getting pissy, but some of you get a stick up your ass where you get way too personal with others over some bullshit. You don't fucking know me, my history, or my knowledge. I find the console less of a value than you because of the storage. I've owned PlayStations since the original, so it's not like I hate sony. I'm allowed to feel how I like regarding value. That's all. If you don't care about my purchase habits, stop pretending you know something about me after reading a couple posts and move the hell on.
You were rude to me first after you admitted to a mistake. And was glad to tell me about how you spew corporate BS "to your customers", you invited that. You're right, I don't know and don't wanna know you.

Ignored

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
The disappointments keep coming from both consoles. Goodness gracious. On top of the expensive potential SSD options in the future, I'm definitely getting these consoles later down the line.

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pathetic! And I say this as someone who is still getting the digital version and went full digital 2 gens ago.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I dont get it. Whats that surprising in here? Did you expect 10gb For OS or what? Especially after MS os size? You people are just laughable.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Do we have a thread on this, at least for Ps5? It doesn't do proprietary shit right? You just have to ensure the SSD you buy is fast enough?
I dunno the last I heard was Cerny saying it'll be available later this year. I think it was the same type that's used in the ps5.

but I think I'm going for an external SSd if I can't get what's needed. Hopefully someone else here knows more.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know how anyone is upset about this news. We've known the drive was 825GB for months now. Did you expect 825GB or something?

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I find the console less of a value than you because of the storage. I've owned PlayStations since the original, so it's not like I hate sony.
I think this only really became an issue when mandatory installs became a thing. To think, memory cards were sort of an inconvenience to purchase if you didn't have much extra money as a kid, but they were at least within reach of most people, and the PS1 memory cards only held 128 kilobytes of data. Those were, what, $20 or so? They obviously allowed for a comfortable mark-up, but it's worth putting this into perspective to consider why there are compromises with respect to storage on these new systems. To give us another terabyte, we'd be looking at $100-150 more per console if Microsoft and Sony didn't want to take significantly more losses. But it's not as though no longer having to install games would solve problems, as we'd need faster, more expensive media at that point, and you wouldn't be anywhere close to the speeds of these SSDs in those cases. Rather than spending more money on games because of "rising development costs" or whatever, we'd instead be spending more money because of media costs again (just as we did with cartridges) AND the rising development costs.

NaudiRajah

Jun 8, 2018
Wll thats like double what launch PS4 had right? Atleast they are going in the right direction lol but totally worth it for that SSD goodness. Cant wait!

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Having both a PS5 and XSX is going to be expensive, buying these compatible expansion drives. Here in Canada, the XSX one is $300 CAD and I think the Samsung 980 Pro will likely be around that price, too.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
I only play one game at a time so this doesn't bother me. I also have a 4tb HDD for storage so I can easily transfer between the two.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
That's about as much as I could have expected based on the 825GB spec. About 140GB less than Series X, which is better than the 175GB difference in pure rated space.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
will be upgrading the ps5 with the 980 pro or sabrent rocket 4 plus (probably not compatible due to onboard heat sink unless it's optional) as soon as Sony gives us the thumbs up

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I think this only really became an issue when mandatory installs became a thing. To think, memory cards were sort of an inconvenience to purchase if you didn't have much extra money as a kid, but they were at least within reach of most people, and the PS1 memory cards only held 128 kilobytes of data. Those were, what, $20 or so? They obviously allowed for a comfortable mark-up, but it's worth putting this into perspective to consider why there are compromises with respect to storage on these new systems. To give us another terabyte, we'd be looking at $100-150 more per console if Microsoft and Sony didn't want to take significantly more losses. But it's not as though no longer having to install games would solve problems, as we'd need faster, more expensive media at that point, and you wouldn't be anywhere close to the speeds of these SSDs in those cases. Rather than spending more money on games because of "rising development costs" or whatever, we'd instead be spending more money because of media costs again (just as we did with cartridges) AND the rising development costs.
Preaching to the choir honestly. Not asking for 2tb, not trying to convince anyone space is free. I fully get that there are compromises despite what folks keep assuming, but I'm ultimately unhappy with the compromises made regarding space. For me, that makes the system less attractive. Probably my first time even mentioning it on the forum tbh. I didn't think it'd be a wild opinion. Not mad at them, I'm just going to wait for storage prices to drop in the future. If game sizes are actually lower come release, my opinion could change at that time. Not giving anyone who feels it's enough any static as these opinions obviously vary from person to person.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I assumed the PS5 had 1TB and Sony was marketing the available SSD space. I cant believe how little space it has.

When do companies market the usable space and not the overall size? I'm with you in that they should, like how prices for American products should include tax, but that's not what happens.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I read that thread. Only 1 individual quoted you.

Majority expected 600GB - 80GB range,

A few people expected around ~500GB

Few ~700GB - 40,

The lone sky high expectation.

Overall expectations were normal
Maybe one person quoted me, but a lot were expecting over 700, so I can understand how some people are disappointed. I initially expected about the amount we're getting but I was swayed by all these other folks saying higher amounts. It's fine though. Expandable storage will become a necessity for all next gen consoles

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a 2TB expansion drive will suffice for the PS5. But I am not paying $200 for that type of space (looking at you MS)