Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is a Samsung MZ-V7E1T0BW970-EVO 1TB compatible to the PS5? costs 133€ for 1TB, if compatible i will buy one now, can´t be bothered with this swapping around bullshit.
You won't play with it that is certain, it doesn't reach required specs.

BUT, what we are waiting to know, is if it would be possible to use it to store game, like with an external drive.

Because copying these on (and from) the internal drive should take less tan a minute even with an entry level NVME.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
664. Pretty much what you can expect when the SSD is 825. So, not really surprised.

More would be welcome, but no idea what people were expecting when the SSD is 825.

foamdino

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the in depth explanation.

hopefully they have changed this system like you said so you can install a 60GB title when you have 70GB left for example
No problem - I really hope I got the details correct, but this is what I inferred from the Cerny tech talk and how I understand the process currently. It is infuriating to see more space "free" than the size of the update but not be able to download it.

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
not unexpected. That's what happens when you go for new expensive storage. We'll see the benefit of it in the load times. Prices will go down with time and they'll probably release a PS5 Pro with 1,65 GB in the future.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure why this is not expected. They said how big the HDD was and there would obviously be OS storage needed

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, we were never going to be able to store a lot but when the Series X was down to 800 or whatever I was a bit disappointed and now this (if true which I assume it is) stings even more.

I didn't expect the full 1tb but definitely didn't anticipate a 200gb cut.
PS5's SSD is 825GB, not 1TB. That's why it may seem like a bigger difference.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
And this is why the machine is only 500 bucks.

For a mostly digital era that is not enough.. not even close.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Umm....no, that was like four DIFFERENT people....in the first FEW pages of that thread. Jeez...calm down. A lot of people expected more. Go look at the thread yourself if you want more evidence.
I read that thread. Only 1 individual quoted you.

Majority expected 600GB - 80GB range,
At worst if the PS5 has the same OS allocation as the XSX it will have 630GB free. If it has similar allocation as the PS4, it will have 700GB free.
PS5 gonna be like 600 gigs usable 😭
825 GB = 768 GiB
768-128 = 640 GiB
So, PS5 will likely have ~625GB available for games, give or take 50GB?
Depending upon the footprint of their OS, expect the usable space around ~650GB give or take.
Oh boy, what does that mean for PS5? 600GB usable?
A few people expected around ~500GB
it'd probably be closer to like 550
Few ~700GB - 40,
Also the implications for the 825GB PS5 drive looking like after formatting and OS might be sitting around ~700-740GB is also not that great.
Also damn, even less storage. Gonna be like 700gb left after ps5 OS and 'other files'.

The lone sky high expectation.
It would be HILARIOUS if one of the few times Sony's been transparent about its system were them reporting actual usable space on their storage. Which is why I think that's 825 total.

Overall expectations were normal

Mass One

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I kinda don't understand the issue. We know it'll raise the cost past a point where (assuming R&D and market research has determined) average consumers isn't willing to purchase.

Is this anti-consumer or a pro-consumer move?

If a consumer wanted the additional storage they have to option to just buy one. Instead of an forced 500 or up inital cost.

cmdrshepard

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

Majority expect 600GB to 680GB rage,

Few ~700GB - 40,

Personally I said 700-740 because I thought Sony was really going to have trimmed down UI to maximise the space they have left after going in on a 825GB SSD compared to MS's 1TB. Boy was I wrong.

Oct 30, 2017
I kinda don't understand the issue. We know it'll raise the cost past a point where (assuming R&D and market research has determined) average consumers isn't willing to purchase.

Is this anti-consumer or a pro-consumer move?

If a consumer wanted the additional storage they have to option to just buy one. Instead of an forced 500 or up inital cost.
hah yeah definitely neither pro or anti-consumer.

Indy_Rex

Banned
Sep 20, 2020

Few ~700GB - 40,

Even mine wasn't even an expectation either. I believed it'd be that, based on the awkward amount they mentioned (b/c who the fuck says "it's this random-ass number."?) but I wasn't hedging my bets on it being that.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I wouldn't expect a price drop for compatible NVME storage any time soon. Especially as the tech becomes more popular and sought-after.
Whether you are buying the Microsoft proprietary storage option or Sony's "non-proprietary-but-still-very-specific" 3rd party options its probably going to be costly for the foreseeable future.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Few ~700GB - 40,

Lmao. I even looked back at my comments. and even I said it would be at most closer to 7 than closer to 600 and I was right. 664 is right in line with most people's expectations. And someone called it at close to 670. People really love to play the telephone game in here.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
IDk something feel off the act Sony not going around saying 1TB says this is fake to me

and really want know how easy it be to swap out

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
You know what´s cringe? 664 GB.
I agree. It is what it is so folk are going to have to work around it, but it's comical to see people trying to justify a 664gb hdd as more than enough while implying people who may want more as these crazy outliers. If you can convince yourself, it's more than enough, cool, but give that "what did you expect?" shit a rest. It's certainly not the end of the world but that doesn't make it an more optimal for those that may prefer more.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
As soon as those 2tb SSD's are available I'm putting one in.

I agree. It is what it is so folk are going to have to work around it, but it's comical to see people trying to justify a 664gb hdd as more than enough while implying people who may want more as these crazy outliers. If you can convince yourself, it's more than enough, cool, but give that "what did you expect?" shit a rest.
It's not a hdd. It's an ssd. It would've made these consoles more expensive costing you more money regardless. So now you can just upgrade when you feel like it.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing my PS4 Pro games off a 250gb SSD, using the internal HDD as cold storage, so to me this is tripling my usable storage space! Win!

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Personally I said 700-740 because I thought Sony was really going to have trimmed down UI to maximise the space they have left after going in on a 825GB SSD compared to MS's 1TB. Boy was I wrong.
I wouldn't think too much of it. I was just making a point that expectation were kept in check for the most part. You were close enough to the 700GB mark if the information in the OP is correct.
Even mine wasn't even an expectation either. I believed it'd be that, based on the awkward amount they mentioned (b/c who the fuck says "it's this random-ass number."?) but I wasn't hedging my bets on it being that.
Don't sweat it. I did get a chuckle out of your optimism though. And yea that is a very unusual storage size but it makes sense if you think about out.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Not sure why this is not expected. They said how big the HDD was and there would obviously be OS storage needed

It's expected if you go by another thread where people almost predicted the amount of free space to the exact number.

And yeah it's a bit small, but we knew this. It's just another zero sum game for peeps. It's not like the Series S or X are brimming with space, this is the result of the decision to go with a high speed drive.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as those 2tb SSD's are available I'm putting one in.

It's not a hdd. It's an ssd. It would've made these consoles more expensive costing you more money regardless. So now you can just upgrade when you feel like it.
Was a mistype out of habit. That's all. And I think your explanation sounds like the corporate bullshit I tell customers from time to time (we don't give you this feature so you have options!"). As I said before, if you're cool with the space fine, but I think it's not optimal by any means. I don't need to be convinced otherwise that spending more money down the road is a great bet.

Kris1977

Nov 25, 2017
Don't have a massive issue with the amount of free space, so long as transferring games from external to internal is relatively quick it's plenty enough to have half a dozen games if not more on rotation. Then just swap in and out whatever else you want to play. And this is coming from someone with 2tb internal this gen and an 8tb external drive.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America

Majority expected 600GB - 80GB range,

Few ~700GB - 40,

Thank you for putting in the work. The number was completely unsurprising as you just showed.

Alexious

Executive Editor for Games at Wccftech
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Remember that Sony said a long time ago it'll be possible to install single player and multiplayer separately in many PS5 games.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
User Banned (2 Weeks): Platform warring and hostility
Was a mistype out of habit. That's all. And I think your explanation sounds like the corporate bullshit I tell customers from time to time. As I said before, if you're cool with the space fine, but I think it's not optimal by any means. I don't need to be convinced otherwise that spending more money down the road is a great bet.
Wtf? If you're in retail and still can't figure out that these SSD's cost more than hdd no matter what the situation is. You need a new job. It's not about convincing you about anything. I couldn't care less about your purchasing decision, but you're here bitching about something none of us can control
Except to spend more money on storage. lol