Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
The disappointments keep coming from both consoles. Goodness gracious. On top of the expensive potential SSD options in the future, I'm definitely getting these consoles later down the line.
If you are getting them down the line, then even if they gave you the desired room you'd be waiting because you'd have to pay an even prettier peny due to the increase to the BOM that expensive storage would add.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Hoping Sony doesn't do proprietary stuff here. I'm willing to live with this storage until the cost of more of it comes down, but I don't want to pay half the price of the console to increase it.

We already know theyre not. Aftermarket pc nvme drives will work, just waiting on them to detail which ones will be officially compatible at release (the samsung 980pro and equivalents)

They'll probably be expensive for the first year but this time next year you'll prob be able to get a 1tb expansion nvme for like $120-150

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
If you are getting them down the line, then even if they gave you the desired room you'd be waiting because you'd have to pay an even prettier peny due to the increase to the BOM that expensive storage would add.

That would actually be alright with me. I'm more disappointed because Microsoft has been relatively clear about their console features, while Sony has had this patchwork about sometimes mixed and confusing messages, and sometimes absolute silence on others. When you look at the Xbox Series S and the PlayStation 5, the compromises are a harder pill to swallow given the price of the disc version and the feature set. With the rather embarrassing BC situation, the SSD storage space, graphical power spec comparison, and others look like more compromises from Sony. The fact that Sony has given little about what their "quick resume" equivalent is tells me they have little in way of comparison.

monketron

Oct 27, 2017
What did people expect? We've moved from some of the slowest cheapest laptop grade HDDs to the absolute state of the art SSD tech. The idea that storage space would go from 500gb in the PS4/XB1 to 2TB in the PS5/XSX without the cost of the console going over £600 is a fantasy. I'm happy with this over these consoles having slow 2TB HDDs instead, I would hope most people would be too...

It's just the price we gotta pay, give it 18-24 months and the expansion SSDs should be a more reasonable price. We all just gotta suffer a little bit till then.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Storage as expected is the biggest problem to next gen, 4TB wasn't enough to me this gen, imagine > 1TB

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Delete your games people.

I'll be upgrading the SSD as soon as I can. Will keep an eye on the Sony approved SSD's list

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
So XSX can have 1 or 2 more games installed. Maybe 3. Not bad for the PS5.

Remember you can also swap games in/out from an external drive.

Internal NVME drives will drop in price as well.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Do we even know if this is real? I mean everyone expected there to be less available space to store games than 825gb. I feel we are beyond the point of thinking 825 gb would be available, but everything else around the UI and even the available space could have been a guess.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
That would be a bit more than expected, thought more like 620-630GB.
More than enough, I just hope this time the space will be really what is there and not like on PS4 where the system sometimes randomly decides that I don't have space for a 20GB game when there is still like 80GB free.

Oh god... I totally forgot about that...

I REALLY hope they fixed that because that is THE MOST annoying shit. I can redownload pretty quick since I have 1GB internet, but imagine not having good internet and constantly dealing with that. Oooof.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to choose between 802GB and 667GB with 2-4x the performance, I'm totally cool with losing out on the slight extra space. Also, I'm imagining by Fall 2021 compatible M2 nVME drives will be cheaper too, so I'll just slot one in.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
If you buy a compatible internal drive, does it replace the original storage? Or is it additive, as in, the original storage doesn't need to be removed to add a secondary m.2 drive?

Nov 21, 2017
I have an external 4TB HDD for my ps4. Will this work for PS5 for my PS4 games? I know it won't give me fast load times like an SSD.

Rourkey

Nov 14, 2017
Wouldn't bet against the OS getting smaller on both. Consoles by launch, still got to be optimised surely

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you buy a compatible internal drive, does it replace the original storage? Or is it additive, as in, the original storage doesn't need to be removed to add a secondary m.2 drive?
No, you add another. You can't replace the original storage.

I have an external 4TB HDD for my ps4. Will this work for PS5 for my PS4 games? I know it won't give me fast load times like an SSD.
Yes, you can store PS5 games. And you can also store and play PS4 games directly from it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Can we expect them to release 2-4 TB SSDs, even if they will be more expensive? Or will 1 TB alone be the standard until they do more internal memory?

Yeah around this time next year when Samsung updates this new line of NVMEs there will probably be 2-3 or 4tb options available on the higher end

I'm gonna wait until a 2tb hits for $200-250

What the fuck? I thought it was 1 TB
That's stupid
Fuck that

Sony never advertised a 1tb SSD for PS5. It's always been 825gb

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't have expected the OS to use less than 100GB so this isn't really surprising at all. There'll be reservations for recordings, virtual memory allocation, etc.

Can we expect them to release 2-4 TB SSDs, even if they will be more expensive? Or will 1 TB alone be the standard until they do more internal memory?

Non-proprietary storage is (thankfully) supported, so there'll be lots of options on the open market over time, depending on how much you want to spend.

McFly

Nov 26, 2017
Ps4 has rest mode, why wouldnt 5 have something similar
I think Sony is going for super fast boot into game rather than suspending games. That is why they are talking about exposing game menu directly in the OS UI so you can launch directly into specific parts of a game quickly. I don't think PS5 will have quick resume for multiple games, at least at launch. They could add it later.

What you're seeing in the diagram is a game that's been selected from the main menu. This brings up a ribbon of icons, some of which are personalised and tailored to your individual progress. The first panel boots a quick menu, which allows you to do rudimentary things like restart the game or create a party to play with friends.

It's the other panels that are interesting, though: these can be contextual, so if you've just beaten Mission 4 in a particular game, it'll show you a panel for Mission 5 – allowing you to learn more about it and jump directly to it. You'll also be able to view which of your friends have played that part of the game, and any other additional information pertaining to their progress.
ps5-playstation-5-user-interface-1.original.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
It's not great but I will not complain about getting an SSD of those sizes in a console for a good price at this moment in time. Yeah, the Playstation ultra fast custom option is a little less than the Series X, that's unfortunate but if it does new cool things, I can accept the modest capacity in 2020.

If neither console is up to your storage level, just wait and get 2TB versions down the line at some point or look at other storage options as a crutch on a bargain for the time being. We are getting super fast SSD in consoles people!

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
So the biggest games we've seen so far are coming around 50gb? Seems better then I expected honestly

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck I am so glad I have gigabit internet now. It seems essential for next gen with the cost of storage and limitations like this..

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
So the biggest games we've seen so far are coming around 50gb? Seems better then I expected honestly

Spider-Man Remastered is arouns 65gb, Destruction All-Stars is around 25gb. So it varies a lot depending on the type of game. Maybe a super detailed open world game like the next GTA could push 100gb but wouldn't expect much more than 50-60gb for typical big games. Who the eff knows about Call of Duty though.

AndyMc1888

Jul 16, 2019
No, you will be able to use off the shelf 3rd party SSDs, so long as they're faster than what the PS5 has.
there isn't a set standard for sizes of SSD's is there - also some come with there own cooling and other variables. That would be my major advice before buying anything as it all depends on what Sony offer as a slot what will be compatible.