Status
Not open for further replies.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
There is no way a competing console is getting that big of a leap one year later for $100 more lol. It's pretty ludicris.

The more interesting question I think is, what are the chances MS or Sony switch gears to an Intel/Nvidia setup for next gen rather than Zen/AMD?

I know it's pretty far fetched, but if one of them made the switch and they had similar priced hardware it could make for some veeery interesting tech discussions.

Would love if one of them went with something wild. Feels like we know pretty much what they're going to go with.

The discussions alone would be amazing.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
You may hear about one other difference between Dolby Vision and HDR10. Some people will point out that TV manufacturers pay to have Dolby Vision in their displays, while HDR10 is free. While that's true, the difference isn't significant. The royalty cost to add Dolby Vision ranges from less than $3 per TV to lower than $2 per TV.

Now, this is from 2016 and I admit that I cannot vouch for the credibility of the source but I'm certain that the royalties Sony would have to pay aren't just 1-2 Cents. Even if Sony had to pay just 50 Cents for each PS5 sold this would be a big deal due to the 100.000.000 multiplier.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dolby-vision-hdr10-what-format-war-giles-baker

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Now, this is from 2016 and I admit that I cannot vouch for the credibility of the source but I'm certain that the royalties Sony would have to pay aren't just 1-2 Cents. Even if Sony had to pay just 50 Cents for each PS5 sold this would be a big deal due to the 100.000.000 multiplier.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/dolby-vision-hdr10-what-format-war-giles-baker

They would add to it the cost of the device when making those decisions. No reason to extrapolate the total cost out.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Since Apple are willing to pay the royalty cost for DV on iPhone then I won't rule out Sony with PS5. (I know Apple's profit margin is drastically higher).

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Since Apple are willing to pay the royalty cost for DV on iPhone then I won't rule out Sony with PS5. (I know Apple's profit margin is drastically higher).

If you know that then it should be obvious to you why iPhone (a $800+ device with ridiculous profit margins) is different from a loss-leading console device.

That Apple can pay, implies nothing about Sony's willingness with the PS5. The cost/price structure of the two devices is completely different.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
If you know that then it should be obvious to you why iPhone (a $800+ device with ridiculous profit margins) is different from a loss-leading console device.

That Apple can pay, implies nothing about Sony's willingness with the PS5. The cost/price structure of the two devices is completely different.

Yeah, iPhone was a bad example, but more and more mainstream devices are adopting DV lately. I guess it really depends on how aggressive Dolby will be to get DV in more homes. They don't want something like HDR10+ leapfrogging them in the HDR format war.

OnPorpoise

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IIRC such posts were made in a bygone era.

Gotcha...

I do remember Matt mentioning things like how both next consoles would be significantly more powerful than One X, and that next-gen cpu's will allow some cool features. Regardless of when these consoles release, it seems there is plenty to be excited for.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Yeah, iPhone was a bad example, but more and more mainstream devices are adopting DV lately. I guess it really depends on how aggressive Dolby will be to get DV in more homes. They don't want something like HDR10+ leapfrogging them in the HDR format war.

Admittedly, I know nothing about the technology. Is it something that even requires paid licence support on the console end, or is it only relevant with the display device?

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Just a random thought: OG Playstation launched in:

The console was released on 3 December 1994 in Japan, 9 September 1995 in North America, 29 September 1995 in Europe, and for 15 November 1995 in Australia.

Maybe they want to launch PS5 '25 years later'. So, that could be late 2019.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Sounds like a 2019 release is nailed on. Expecting a PlayStation Meeting in NYC for Feb 2019. Hardware final form factor reveal at E3 and release in November. They'll play it by the book that House followed.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like a 2019 release is nailed on. Expecting a PlayStation Meeting in NYC for Feb 2019. Hardware final form factor reveal at E3 and release in November. They'll play it by the book that House followed.

House was talking about a quick reveal -> release model like Apple so I'm hoping Kodera ignores that part. I would prefer a repeat of 2013.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/licensing.html

I can see Dolby cutting a deal with Sony since PS5 will be in a lot of homes. Samsung will no doubt attempt to push HDR10+ as much as it can so Dolby really has to be aggressive here.

What am I supposed to be seeing in that link? It's just instructions for applying for a licence for Dolby Technologies in general. It doesn't answer my question about Dolby Vision.

I looked into it a bit anyway, and given that BR media playback devices license DV, I would imagine a console would need to in order to include DV for UHD media playback.

I imagine DV is only relevant to UHD media playback and not for games specifically?

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
What am I supposed to be seeing in that link? It's just instructions for applying for a licence for Dolby Technologies in general. It doesn't answer my question about Dolby Vision.

I looked into it a bit anyway, and given that BR media playback devices license DV, I would imagine a console would need to in order to include DV for UHD media playback.

I imagine DV is only relevant to UHD media playback and not for games specifically?

If you go into the Apply for a Professional, there are forms that show all the market segments, kind of product and technologies that can be applied for. Game consoles would probably fall under Other, Software-based Encoder. There is a general Dolby Vision license and one specifically for UHD Blu-ray authoring, it seems.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Well I don't think the architecture will be completely different, we're getting an evolution of what we have now. It's sounding like it's going to be much more balanced this time around with a relatively stronger cpu. At the start of the gen we heard "gpu compute" will help with the under powered jaguar. So either the new more powerful cpu will take some of those tasks back on leaving a higher % of the GPU to normal GPU tasks or all that GPU compute talk was rubbish.
CPU won't be able to take on GPU compute tasks as such tasks tend to run orders of magnitude faster on a GPU than on any CPU, even the most powerful. So yes, this talk was basically rubbish. It's also highly likely that next gen console h/w will use GPU compute for most of graphical tasks too (like the recently announced raytracing tech which is pure GPU compute) so it's really really unlikely that a faster CPU will result in less GPU compute being used in next gen.

What do you mean by overblown? What are examples of peoples unrealistic expectations for the CPUs in next gen consoles?
Well, I'm reading these statements that next gen must use Zen for CPU otherwise it won't be next gen for quite some time now. And I'm pretty sure that they aren't true as with pretty much every gen since PS2/Xbox the main h/w part of a gaming machine is the GPU and its performance and capabilities. Couple a 20TF GPU with an overclocked 8C Jaguar and such machine will likely be a lot better for gaming workloads than a 10TF GPU + 8C Zen one. CPU isn't this important for your typical gaming scenario.

I do believe that a much stronger CPU will open up gameplay opportunities and higher simulation complexity that would have just been impossible this gen
Simulation is something which usually lands very well on GPU compute and isn't something that you want to run on CPU anyway. CPU is running game logic which is mostly what you'd call "scripted" and isn't very expensive to calculate even though you can always use more power for it if it's available of course. With the rise of new APIs and GPU driven models even the requirement to have CPU feed commands into GPU might go away on the next gen.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Well, I'm reading these statements that next gen must use Zen for CPU otherwise it won't be next gen for quite some time now. And I'm pretty sure that they aren't true as with pretty much every gen since PS2/Xbox the main h/w part of a gaming machine is the GPU and its performance and capabilities. Couple a 20TF GPU with an overclocked 8C Jaguar and such machine will likely be a lot better for gaming workloads than a 10TF GPU + 8C Zen one. CPU isn't this important for your typical gaming scenario.

Simulation is something which usually lands very well on GPU compute and isn't something that you want to run on CPU anyway. CPU is running game logic which is mostly what you'd call "scripted" and isn't very expensive to calculate even though you can always use more power for it if it's available of course. With the rise of new APIs and GPU driven models even the requirement to have CPU feed commands into GPU might go away on the next gen.

When I say the game simulation, I'm talking about everything from the scripted game logic to animation, to audio, to player input, to interactive-physics (not all physics is or can be moved over to the GPU—generally non-interactive game physics like particle effects), to collisions, to AI logic and pathfinding, to network code etc etc.. as well as building the command lists to tell the GPU what to render.

The CPU doesn't just run the game's game's main logic and that's it. It sounds like you're understating somewhat how much of a game's processing workload the CPU has to take on, and overstating how much of that workload can be feasibly ported over to the GPU.

GPUs in general excel in highly parallelizable, non-branchy workloads with very little data dependency. Yes over the last couple of gens more and more traditional gaming CPU workloads that fit this description have been ported over to the GPU, but don't forget that game worlds themselves have become larger, along with gamer expectations for higher and higher levels of interactivity within these larger gameworlds, which invariably will demand a stronger and stronger CPU—alongside a bigger GPU—in order to cope with these types of tasks. As game worlds, rendering resolutions and more performance intensive rendering techniques get employed, higher demands are placed on the GPU, meaning less availability on the GPU for CPU tasks that might be more efficiently placed there; in which case a stronger CPU in addition to the GPU will always benefit games.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
E3 2019.

*Dark Stage*

Single light slowly illuminates Shu as he casually sits on a plush chair with his back to us. The screen comes up, and he appears to be navigating through the console menu in real-time, reminiscient of PS4 UI reveal.

The UI looks majorly overhauled - a significant update for the PS4. Shu flicks to the settings, and heads down to profile. He deletes characters from a text box 'xXxKratosGod420xXx.' He is seen entering new characters into the box.

Confirm PSN name change?

Yes.

He exits back to the main menu and launches Death Stranding. The title screen launches and he heads into settings.

Set boost mode
Performance - prioritize frame-rate
Visuals - 4K resolution, enhanced effects.

He exits back to the main menu and navigates to media.

What's this? A trailer! We're treated to a breath-taking cinematic trailer of Aloy navigating through battles and terrain.

*All game footage generated real-time on PS5*

Shu slowly stands up and turns around, revealing the DS5 in his hands.

PS5 lanchhing 2019. Horizon ZD2 launching 2020.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
E3 2019.

*Dark Stage*

Single light slowly illuminates Shu as he casually sits on a plush chair with his back to us. The screen comes up, and he appears to be navigating through the console menu in real-time, reminiscient of PS4 UI reveal.

The UI looks majorly overhauled - a significant update for the PS4. Shu flicks to the settings, and heads down to profile. He is seen entering characters into a name screen.

Confirm PSN name change?

He exits back to the main menu and launches Death Stranding. The title screen launches and he heads into settings.

Set boost mode

What's this? A trailer! We're treated to a breath-taking cinematic trailer of Aloy navigating through battles and terrain.

Wondering what would happen if he logs into PSN and it gets hacked live on stage?

Adookah

Nov 1, 2017
Sarajevo
E3 2019.

*Dark Stage*

The UI looks majorly overhauled - a significant update for the PS4. Shu flicks to the settings, and heads down to profile. He deletes characters from a text box 'xXxKratosGod420xXx.' He is seen entering new characters into the box.

Confirm PSN name change?

Yes.

Set boost mode

Seems legit.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
At the start of the gen we heard "gpu compute" will help with the under powered jaguar. So either the new more powerful cpu will take some of those tasks back on leaving a higher % of the GPU to normal GPU tasks or all that GPU compute talk was rubbish.

GPU compute does indeed help with some tasks. It's a great solution for some kinds of problems, and those will stay on the GPU. It was never a solution for every kind of task, nor was it presented as such. Where code had to continue to run on the CPU the Ryzen cores will make a big difference. There isn't a narrowly defined "normal GPU task" in the world of the GPGPU. Anything that can be highly parallelized is fair game.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
GPU compute does indeed help with some tasks. It's a great solution for some kinds of problems, and those will stay on the GPU. It was never a solution for every kind of task, nor was it presented as such. Where code had to continue to run on the CPU the Ryzen cores will make a big difference. There isn't a narrowly defined "normal GPU task" in the world of the GPGPU. Anything that can be highly parallelized is fair game.

Thanks.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Venturing back to the topic of MCMs and chiplets, Intel can do massive bandwidth with threat EMIB that doesn't require interposers. Shame there's not a competitive option from others. They're going for full 3D packaging within a few years too. And they're gunning for Nvidia in perf/watt under 60W: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...raja-wants-to-enter-dgpu-with-a-bang.2542652/

This gen may be more boring APUs, but next gen could be damn near the whole system in a package.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Hey guys, figured this would be a relevant thread to post this.

I'm honestly going crazy trying to figure out if I should upgrade to the Pro or not.

I already have the X, but everytime I think of playing a ps4 exclusive (especially the upcoming ones) and I know that the game could just play <i>better</i>, I get this urge to get the pro.

I have a 4K tv, and the only reason I'm even considering it is because if I play my cards right (sell my 1tb ps4s for a decent amount and shoppers drug mart points) I can get the pro for like a 100 dollar or so price increase.

I suppose basically what I'm asking is if there's a general consensus that Sony is releasing a new system (upgrade or not) in 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere South
It will land either late 2019 or 2020, and probably will have BC, but we can't really be certain of anything at this point. If you're not bothered by taking a loss, you can get a Pro now and just flip it when the PS5 lands.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Hey guys, figured this would be a relevant thread to post this.

I'm honestly going crazy trying to figure out if I should upgrade to the Pro or not.

I already have the X, but everytime I think of playing a ps4 exclusive (especially the upcoming ones) and I know that the game could just play <i>better</i>, I get this urge to get the pro.

I have a 4K tv, and the only reason I'm even considering it is because if I play my cards right (sell my 1tb ps4s for a decent amount and shoppers drug mart points) I can get the pro for like a 100 dollar or so price increase.

I suppose basically what I'm asking is if there's a general consensus that Sony is releasing a new system (upgrade or not) in 2019.

Nope, don't believe next gen enthusiasts. Look at sales and momentum, there is no reason to believe that a PS5 is coming in 2019 especially when Days Gone, Ghost of Tsushima, Death Stranding, and The Last of Us: Part II will be coming next year (with maybe one of them slipping into 2020). The PS4 isn't slowing down anytime soon

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It will land either late 2019 or 2020, and probably will have BC, but we can't really be certain of anything at this point. If you're not bothered by taking a loss, you can get a Pro now and just flip it when the PS5 lands.
The Pro/X may take more of a hit in value if there is full BC at launch. Could be an interesting dynamic. I'm debating with myself whether to hold onto them if there is full BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.