Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
This is actually HUGE news in what it means lol

Poor meghan is gonna be destroyed by the UK press...feel bad for her

I guess as william has so many children this wasnt a hard decision as no way would harry ever take the throne
They never liked her anyway, whats a few more articles lowkey calling her everything but a child of god?

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Good, royalty is outdated and has no place in the modern world.

I wonder how the pro royalists in the UK will react though. I'm guessing a lot of them will turn hard on Meghan

Considering how inbred a lot of the European royal families are you would think those folks would welcome new blood, but nope racists will continue to be intolerable assholes.

Financially independent? After years of allowances and inheritances? The prince is probably sitting on hundreds of millions.
Harry's allowance wasn't anywhere near that much. He does (reportedly) have some inheritances, mainly through his mother, but the Royal Family's assets (those that aren't "Crown property" and thus effectively owned by the government) are vested in the Queen (and also in the Duchy of Lancaster) and the Prince of Wales (as Duke of Cornwall).

Maybe a step towards the end of the Monarchy in the UK.
It doesn't have anything to do with that.

Even aside from this particular couple's unhappy relationship with the UK press, all modern constitutional monarchies have struggled somewhat with the role of ancillary members of the royal family who aren't directly in the line of succession. In ye olden days, these lines were especially useful to have around because with medical care being what it was, most of them would either die or be needed to accede to the throne at some point (there's a reason there are no extant legitimate male lines of descent from a British sovereign that date to before the 18th century). But these days, there's no reason whatsoever to expect that Harry or Archie will ever be needed to take the throne. So increasingly you're seeing the satellite royals want to strike out on their own and pursue opportunities (business or otherwise) that are incompatible with active involvement in royal duties.

Harry and Meghan just spent six weeks in Canada, so with the talk of dividing time between the UK and "North America", I wonder if they envision returning to Toronto? She lived there for years, and as part of the Commonwealth it's different from the US (and also wouldn't be like moving to Los Angeles in terms of media attention).

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Stop receiving... but will they keep what they've received? Frogmore and it's recent renovation? Keep being paid from the Queen's purse, like the Kent's?

Good for them if they can keep it going but it sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it. I could easily see conflicts of interest arising in time.

Secondspace

Dec 12, 2017
I pay 0 attention to the British monarchy except when it's right in my face and have heard this mentioned before. Any examples of what people have been doing?

Glad to hear they are voluntarily stopping taxpayers funding their lives. Would be nice if the whole family did that.
The papers have been critical of her since the wedding for some mysterious reason that no one can work out.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Seriously, I respect the sentiment but this is a joke.

If they transitioned to private life and took legitimate jobs which produced actual value to society...that would be one thing. But does anyone think that is gonna happen?
She was a talented and successful actress, graduate of one of the top colleges in the nation (Northwestern).

He was in the British Forces for 10 years and served two tours in Afghanistan.

But they didn't have legitimate jobs, I guess. Somehow.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If she's thinking of dipping her toe back into acting, I wouldn't be surprised to see them head to Vancouver.
Seriously, I respect the sentiment but this is a joke.

If they transitioned to private life and took legitimate jobs which produced actual value to society...that would be one thing. But does anyone think that is gonna happen?
Ashton Kutcher founded an anti-trafficking NGO and is still heavily involved with it, so stranger things have indeed happened.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I mean, shit on Harry all you like, but Meghan lived financially independent for some time before she met him. She'd be doing fine with or without the tax money.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
She was a talented and successful actress, graduate of one of the top colleges in the nation (Northwestern).

The pure hate for the royals outshines everything I guess...

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Financially independent? After years of allowances and inheritances? The prince is probably sitting on hundreds of millions.
Yeah, what a joke.
They are already rich beyond words and they could make bucketload of money based on the fact that they are royals.
The deal is that they get super rich but they get to play as this tourist attraction that people in the UK seem to really like, I think they're overpaid for what they do, but whatever, not my tax money. But saying "yeah, I just want the rich and famous part" is not something I'm gonna applaud.

Oct 26, 2017

Harry didn't become a helicopter pilot off the back of his own hard work. He wouldn't have even got into the RAF with his grades had he not been royalty. His privilege took him everywhere, so not sure why you're using that as some justification of him working for his millions.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
The financial independent shit is a joke unless they are gonna charge an arm and leg for speaking engagements (wouldn't surprise me). I imagine they'll still get an allowance from the Queen, it's not like he disgraced the family or anything

Also not sure why anyone thinks this is a megaton about the future of the monarchy...the guy's nieces and nephews are in line before him at this point, no?

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
Janina Gavankar is friends with Giant Bomb and the Meghan and Harry. There is an open position at the Giant Bomb New York office, so I hope they realize the obvious answer to becoming financially independent.

OP
OP
chadskin

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
believe 'megxit' is agreed upon
Yes, the Daily Mail has already adopted the Megxit moniker.

"It's Megxit!' Stunned social media react to Harry and Meghan's announcement they are quitting as royals - with some accusing Markle of dragging Harry away while others praise couple"

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Yes, the Daily Mail has already adopted the Megxit moniker.

"It's Megxit!' Stunned social media react to Harry and Meghan's announcement they are quitting as royals - with some accusing Markle of dragging Harry away while others praise couple"

Dragging him away, wtf, as if Harry isn't a grown man that chose to marry her and didn't agree to this. That is straight up misogyny and it needs to be called out.