• Sprigatito

Votes: 550 33.2%
  • Fuecoco

Votes: 710 42.8%

• Total voters

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Wow it really is almost everyone now. Hopefully DLC gives us those last few lines and a way to get the Gen 5 and 6 starters, and then Switch only kids will be able to completer their Pokedexes.

Gen 6 starters are all transferrable already when Home compatibility starts. I really hope to see the Gen 5 starters in DLC though.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 6 starters are all transferrable already when Home compatibility starts. I really hope to see the Gen 5 starters in DLC though.
Right, if you already have them you can put them in the game, but I'm coming at this from the angle of if I started collecting today, using only Switch games, could I catch them all. As far as I know, there's no way to obtain the Gen 6 starters in any of the Switch games.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
You get at least one for completing the pokedex on the little battle pass like rewerd system for it. I would assume there's more ways to get them
I'm using the balls you only get one each of to catch Dittos in raids (guaranteed catch) so that I can pass those balls on to Eggs (eggs still take the balls from the parents right?)
Right, if you already have them you can put them in the game, but I'm coming at this from the angle of if I started collecting today, using only Switch games, could I catch them all. As far as I know, there's no way to obtain the Gen 6 starters in any of the Switch games.
They were available in SwSh raids occasionally, I'm sure they will be in SV as well.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just to check for the sake of my sanity: there's no reason I wouldn't be able to hatch a shiny Charmander is there? I'm only halfway through the gyms or so (team level ~36) but have been breeding eggs with an ENG Modest Charmander and a JPN Ditto. Just by stacking 5 in my party and riding Miraidon in circles for awhile, then either releasing or surprise-trading when they're not shiny. Only like 280 Charmanders in and I know the odds are small, just thought I'd be super sure that there's nothing I'm missing lol.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017

Isn't that the case with other starters then?

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that the case with other starters then?
You can catch the gen 1-4 guys in BDSP. Gen 8 and 9 starters are in their own games; and you can get a gen 7 starter in the Isle of Armor DLC by finding 100 Digglets. So it's just the 5 and 6 guys that aren't reliably catchable on Switch. (Except Oshawatt)

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just to check for the sake of my sanity: there's no reason I wouldn't be able to hatch a shiny Charmander is there? I'm only halfway through the gyms or so (team level ~36) but have been breeding eggs with an ENG Modest Charmander and a JPN Ditto. Just by stacking 5 in my party and riding Miraidon in circles for awhile, then either releasing or surprise-trading when they're not shiny. Only like 280 Charmanders in and I know the odds are small, just thought I'd be super sure that there's nothing I'm missing lol.

You should eventually be able to get one. I got a shiny Deino with the same method. But then I bred two boxes worth of Charmanders and got nothing. I hope I am making someone's day by trading them a Charmander.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
You can catch the gen 1-4 guys in BDSP. Gen 8 and 9 starters are in their own games; and you can get a gen 7 starter in the Isle of Armor DLC by finding 100 Digglets. So it's just the 5 and 6 guys that aren't reliably catchable on Switch. (Except Oshawatt)

I forgot they put a bunch of starters in the grand underground.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You should eventually be able to get one. I got a shiny Deino with the same method. But then I bred two boxes worth of Charmanders and got nothing. I hope I am making someone's day by trading them a Charmander.
Haha good to know, thank you. I junk a load of mine because I do like 4 boxes at a time and that's a lot of surprise trading, but I do the last box's worth that way to hopefully help some peeps out there too.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been thinking about how to handle the open world next time...

In my opinion, I think using the Gym Challenge as the "backbone" of the game would be good. But give each Gym Leader a different level team depending on the order. And there Gym Trainers. So, you have truly free order Gyms.

I'd also make the first Gym higher than usual...like starting at Level 25. That encourages the player to explore a bit around and train up for some evolutions and encourage them to not just go for whichever Gym is closest to the starting point. I'd also make all the Gym Towns fairly accessible, so it doesn't feel like any is too far out of reach...nothing like Glaseado's being pretty hard to get to without taking advantage of wonky backwards jump physics, or having to walk through a difficult mini Dungeon.

As for Wild Pokémon, I'd fill all the areas with weak Pokémon, with strong Pokémon appearing based on badges. So you can go to the snow area and catch weak Pokémon early on, and not have to worry about getting bashed. And this encourages you to revisit areas to see what new Pokemon appear.

As for Trainers, eh. I'd say have them at a set level, but have the weaker Trainers near the center where you begin and stronger Trainers around the edges of the map so no matter which route the fights early on are easy if you're just scoping out the world. I'd give each Trainer a decent amount of Pokemon and A.I. to make fighting them fun, and some motive to fight them in the first place. Maybe have a few forced Trainer fights who block secret little areas.

And then as you beat Gym Leaders, new Quests become available to you. I'd have these static levels, but have it so there's some easy way to see when a Quest opens up and what level recommended. So you know when you're ready to approach it, but can also save it for later if you're having trouble. And then some Quests would require both a previous Quest to have been beaten and a certain progression in the Gyms, for a better sense of progress...like the villainous team stuff, so it progresses as a reasonable pace and it wouldn't be weird like being able to clear out the entire Evil Team before Badge 2. Stuff like that.

But that's just some ideas.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm using the balls you only get one each of to catch Dittos in raids (guaranteed catch) so that I can pass those balls on to Eggs (eggs still take the balls from the parents right?)

Looks like Ditto's ball doesn't matter.

osYwZ.jpg

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone free to host me in their coop game for just a minute to evolve my dolphin at like 9pm EST/6pm PST (in approximately 3 hours)?

My last mon to complete the 'dex!

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
I've just finished up 38 5-star raids and three 6-star... two spicy herba mysticas altogether, zero of any other type.

Really feels like a waste of time. I started trying to find pokemon about halfway through that I see on websites with "higher" odds of dropping them and nothing.

Any tips?

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
I've just finished up 38 5-star raids and three 6-star... two spicy herba mysticas altogether, zero of any other type.

Really feels like a waste of time. I started trying to find pokemon about halfway through that I see on websites with "higher" odds of dropping them and nothing.

Any tips?
Same experience from me today. I've done a similar number and only have 4 Herba Mystica to show for it. Very frustrating.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
Maushold is an absolute God in ranked battles. Those little fuckers have carried me all the way to Ultra Ball tier with a ragtag group of Pokemon.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017

For what it's worth, it's relatively easy to find and catch pretty much any starter Pokemon you want in Pokemon Go and very easy to transfer to Home from there.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have some links to public rental teams? Im not the best at crafting my own team but I'd love to get a feeling using them for the groove of battle.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah now that my dex is complete I guess I can start making some competitive mons. Guess it's time to start researching that.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if my raid luck is good or bad, but I've picked up only a couple herba mystica despite aiming for the right raids, yet I've been through 3 ability patches and have 5 more in my inventory. Like thanks game they're great and all, but I wanna go shiny hunting and you ain't making it easy.

Feels like the games telling me to go try ranked Instead

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Is there a trick to outbreak picnic resetting that I'm missing? Whenever I reset with a picnic only a small handful of Pokémon respawn, unless I drive around for a minute. I feel like it would be faster just to clean out the outbreak and reset if no shiny, unless there's a way to spawn in 20 Pokémon at a time with a picnic.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a trick to outbreak picnic resetting that I'm missing? Whenever I reset with a picnic only a small handful of Pokémon respawn, unless I drive around for a minute. I feel like it would be faster just to clean out the outbreak and reset if no shiny, unless there's a way to spawn in 20 Pokémon at a time with a picnic.

Depends on the Pokemon for whatever reason. Marill barely spawned when I did that outbreak, but Skiploom spawned like crazy. Most of the time though I just walk through the area until a bunch have spawned and then picnic to reset. I don't think finishing the outbreak would be faster considering you need the 60 to hit the best odds.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jumped into a random online Singles...first pvp match for me since XY?

Was pretty fun. Opponent was probably using a somewhat trained for online team as he had Meowscarada, Skellidirge, Flutter Mane,, Mimikyu, Ting Lu, and...uh I forgot his sixth. I just used my in-game team but got him down to just Ting Lu and Meowscarada.

I feel I would've won perhaps had Garganacl not missed a Hammer Arm that would have killed Meowscarada.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So the Voltorbs will actually Self Destruct in the field to get away from you........

That's a little much. I can take a hint; you could've just rolled away instead.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Anyone cool with hosting me in coop for just a minute to evolve my dolphin? I'm available for the next couple of hours!

EDIT: I'm all good to go! Got my last Pokémon for the base 'dex of this game!!!

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So as I'm not end-game (and thus am nowhere close to the shiny charm) the masuda method will be something around 1 in 2,000 chance for this shiny Charmander? I want one before I continue with the game because sunk cost fallacy has me bad I would love to level up and use that 'Zard through the remainder of the story. I love getting myself into these situations.

1424-thisisfinefire-r4ri6i.png

Edit: Nevermind! Peeps below confirmed that's wrong.
Egg's back on the menu boys 🌟

Last edited:

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I used those codes to Link Trade an Eiscue for Stonjourner...it worked but I'm kind of confused how?

Also I noticed some of my Pokémon in my box glowed? I noticed some of them were Version Exclusives, but also stuff like Seviper or the Deerling forms. What does that mean?

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So I used those codes to Link Trade an Eiscue for Stonjourner...it worked but I'm kind of confused how?

Also I noticed some of my Pokémon in my box glowed? I noticed some of them were Version Exclusives, but also stuff like Seviper or the Deerling forms. What does that mean?

It's stuff your trade partner doesn't have registered in their pokedex I believe.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
So as I'm not end-game (and thus am nowhere close to the shiny charm) the masuda method will be something around 1 in 2,000 chance for this shiny Charmander? I want one before I continue with the game because sunk cost fallacy has me bad I would love to level up and use that 'Zard through the remainder of the story. I love getting myself into these situations.

Odds without charm should be 1:683 I think.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017

Masuda Method is 1/683 odds without charm

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
I was struggling in online matches against the usual busted crap: Roaring Moon, Brute Bonnet, Flutter Mane, Gholdengo...

Luckily I found the mon that nobody expects and counters them all.
Lokix.png

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
And immediately after that I got my first Ditto in a raid.

Got Ditto and my Skellidirge and Meowscarada in a picnic. Wonder how it decides what eggs to give me?