• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting some previews for Demon's Soul next week (at least I hope so).

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously though I hope none of them get jacked by Somali pirates or something.
source.gif
or Angie22 our local pirate 🤣

nss

Apr 10, 2018
So do you think there's a container ship(s) filled with PS5's making its way to ports around the world yet or is it still too early and they're piling up in a warehouse in China? What about all the planes that Sony was supposed to have booked?

My sister used to work at the head office of a relatively large retailer in Canada. She worked in the Christmas department (Christmas merchandise, toys, seasonal toys etc). If she was still working there right now, for the most part she would be working on Christmas 2022. 80% of Christmas 2021 would already be set and done. The toys/merchandise for Christmas 2021 are already planned, set and will be on a slow shipping container from China in late July/early August to arrive in time for the season. Everything for Christmas 2020 was effectively set in stone in Jan-March of this year (although I'm sure Covid probably disrupted a bunch so they're probably having to work on current year stuff longer than they traditionally would).

My point is that a lot of times, retail lead times are reallly long. However a console launch will definitely be tighter. But if you're putting consoles on a ship to be ready for November, they've been in the water for many weeks now.

Whittaker

Jun 21, 2018
It's just wonderful to see. I like seeing Sony's devs getting to branch out to new IPs. It worked beautifully for Guerilla, and now with Sucker Punch. I really hope ND does a new IP next and leaves TLoU and Uncharted behind, and I also personally it takes the mature tone down a couple notches from TLoU, though I do fear that that will be their new normal from now on.

ND needs to take a damned break (both labour-wise and tonally.) Take a deep breath, get their house in order, and come back and make something new, wry, fun, and spectacular.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My sister used to work at the head office of a relatively large retailer in Canada. She worked in the Christmas department (Christmas merchandise, toys, seasonal toys etc). If she was still working there right now, for the most part she would be working on Christmas 2022. 80% of Christmas 2021 would already be set and done. The toys/merchandise for Christmas 2021 are already planned, set and will be on a slow shipping container from China in late July/early August to arrive in time for the season. Everything for Christmas 2020 was effectively set in stone in Jan-March of this year (although I'm sure Covid probably disrupted a bunch so they're probably having to work on current year stuff longer than they traditionally would).

My point is that a lot of times, retail lead times are reallly long. However a console launch will definitely be tighter. But if you're putting consoles on a ship to be ready for November, they've been in the water for many weeks now.
I wonder if the shipped containers are for South Korea, Australia and Japan since it's closer to China.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Naughty Dog should do more lighter story for future games.

It doesn't have to be dark & serious again... Even Uncharted have serious moments.

And please, something new for narrative presentation/design.

In my humble opinion, the way the stories presented in Uncharted & TLoU, while good, was predictable pacing wise for each new games; linear/wide linear, go to point A to B, banter/conversation in between, slow walking moments, set-pieces, scripted scenes, etc.

They could craft hundred of new stories, characters, plots, twists, gameplays, etc, but ironically, if they don't change their narrative presentation, the pacing would be predictable & same-old to me... 🙄🤷

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, we had no insider teasing when Sony acquired Insomniac. I know it's different for Squeenix because they're bigger/ a publisher.

Deleted member 15973

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog should do more lighter story for future games.

It doesn't have to be dark & serious again... Even Uncharted have serious moments.

And please, something new for narrative presentation/design.

In my humble opinion, the way the stories presented in Uncharted & TLoU, while good, was predictable pacing wise for each new games; linear/wide linear, go to point A to B, banter/conversation in between, slow walking moments, set-pieces, scripted scenes, etc.

They could craft hundred of new stories, characters, plots, twists, gameplays, etc, but ironically, if they don't change their narrative presentation, the pacing would be predictable & same-old to me... 🙄🤷
They've made 20 light hearted games and only 2 dark games.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the issue with ND making dark games. Most Sony studios make light hearted games, so I'm fine with the GoW's, TLOU's, etc to balance things out.

I think their next game won't be as dark as TLOU though, unless it's TLOU3, then I'd expect it to be darker.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
The design of the boxes is top notch. Way better than that plastic case they had for Dualshock 4.

Is it me or they are using the PS1 style "Playstation" logo? I remember for ps2, they changed the fond slightly. By ps3 generation, it was gone due to new branding. (Spiderman font and refresh)

I actually like it. I liked how they sorta went back to using the "Playstation" soundbite on their trailers for ps4 style trailers.

Edit: as far as xbox acquisition...there was a rumor they were planning something major weeks or months ahead of that announcement. There were rumblings going on but sure Bethesda news came out of left field. At most there were rumors of buying bungie or having some exclusivity on the works with them.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
They've made 20 light hearted games and only 2 dark games.
They should make a new AAA Hollywood cinematic comedy theme story where 90% of the story is comedy.

Then maybe, this time, I'll give Naughty Dog's "narrative presentation" another go.

At least it's not serious again & something new from them. 🤷

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I don't recall insiders teasing the Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition either.
Yeah, I think that came out of no where. There might have been teases that MS was planning to acquire someone, I forget tbh, but no one hinted a Bethesda acquisition.

That's the downside for Sony; the whole Bethesda/Zenimax stuff was privately owned, hence why acquisition talks could remain secret.

Almost every other noteworthy publisher that Sony could acquire are publicly traded, thus open to bidding wars.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Current Marvel Square Enix is far more boring than before it.
Tomb Raider, Deus EX, Just Cause.

But I'm sure the Marvel games bring them more money.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Just Cause and Tomb Raider is still Current Squeenix. We just had a Tomb Raider and Just Cause gmae.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
What ND needs to do is a sci-fi space opera RPG with the quality of story telling and polish only they can do. Day one for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Just Cause and Tomb Raider is still Current Squeenix. We just had a Tomb Raider and Just Cause gmae.
Just Cause 4 was a flop apparently so it's interesting to see if they put the series on hold for now. I've only played Just Cause 3 and the gameplay was very fun but I never finished the game as it got a bit too repetitive (also the performance was terrible with huge explosions).

I still haven't played Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but I did enjoy Rise.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
While I'm of the opinion of letting studios doing whatever they want, it'd be lame to me if ND decided to do an RPG in an age where almost everyone is doing these RPGs and RPG lites.

Skeeter49

Oct 25, 2017
Just Cause 4 was a flop apparently so it's interesting to see if they put the series on hold for now. I've only played Just Cause 3 and the gameplay was very fun but I never finished the game as it got a bit too repetitive (also the performance was terrible with huge explosions).

I still haven't played Shadow of the Tomb Raider, but I did enjoy Rise.
Quality wise both series seem to be taking a dive, from what I've heard, haven't played either, but hopefully the series still continue. Tbh, I didn't expect to get a JC4, since I thought JC3 didn't sell well.

I think Squeenix said that Tomb Raider is still alive? So hopefully they continue Tomb Raider. With potentially no more Uncharted games, even though 5 seems inevitable, Tomb Raider games have a lot more value, especially for PS audiences.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
While I'm of the opinion of letting studios doing whatever they want, it'd be lame to me if ND decided to do an RPG in an age where almost everyone is doing these RPGs and RPG lites.
I would be totally fine with that. 😄

I also consider that would be something new from them, at least it's not AAA cinematic again all the time.

Besides, PS5 99% won't get new Elder Scrolls or Fallout.

Why not take the initiative and make new first-party IP in the genre?

Oct 25, 2017
Quality wise both series seem to be taking a dive, from what I've heard, haven't played either, but hopefully the series still continue. Tbh, I didn't expect to get a JC4, since I thought JC3 didn't sell well.

I think Squeenix said that Tomb Raider is still alive? So hopefully they continue Tomb Raider. With potentially no more Uncharted games, even though 5 seems inevitable, Tomb Raider games have a lot more value, especially for PS audiences.
Yeah they definitely gonna make another Tomb Raider at some point when they're done with Marvel games. The IP is so strong.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
There's something that always stuck out for me on the Guerrilla's/HZD's documentary. It was Hulst talking about how they saw the 1st party portfolio and they hadn't anything like a RPG so Horizon could fill that gap.

I don't think it's bad to wish for a certain genre from those studios, they know damn well the freedom they have but also the responsability with the whole portfolio.

Desodeset

May 31, 2019
Sofia, Bulgaria
That's the downside for Sony; the whole Bethesda/Zenimax stuff was privately owned, hence why acquisition talks could remain secret.

Almost every other noteworthy publisher that Sony could acquire are publicly traded, thus open to bidding wars.

WBIE is not public. Gearbox Software too. And also Epic and Valve :D

Current Marvel Square Enix is far more boring than before it.
Tomb Raider, Deus EX, Just Cause.

But I'm sure the Marvel games bring them more money.

It seems that "Eidos" division is not doing well. Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Deus Ex were not commercial success. Avengers seems like a flop for it's budget and ambitions. May be Square Enix won't sell to Sony, but they might decide to sell their western studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.