• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
To me, any budget model is way less atractive in real market scenarios than what it might look like on paper: spending that amount of money (which is not cheap by any means) for an underpowered/restricted system when for an extra 100 € you could get a much stronger hardware (pad included) is the choice that ultimately few people do.

If you want an Xbox on release, chances are you're an enthusiast aiming to get the most complete, regarded as best model; if you're really interested in other brands or platforms, no system for 300 € plus additional subscriptions is going to sway the masses.

In the end, whatever they did wasn't of much relevance; it's mostly the perception of price/value versus people's expectations for your own product, not what others do. The right price, even if it is more expensive (it's also better hardware), should put the Digital Edition in a convenient spot.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
With a 299,- price tag on Series S (lower spec, no disc), a 399,- Digital Edition and 499,- regular seems absolutely likely now.

jman1954goat

Linked the Fire
May 9, 2020
To me, any budget model is way less atractive in real market scenarios than what it might look like on paper: spending that amount of money (which is not cheap by any means) for an underpowered/restricted system when for an extra 100 € you could get a much stronger hardware (pad included) is the choice that ultimately few people do.

If you want an Xbox on release, chances are you're an enthusiast aiming to get the most complete, regarded as best model; if you're really interested in other brands or platforms, no system for 300 € plus additional subscriptions is going to sway the masses.

In the end, whatever they did wasn't of much relevance; it's mostly the perception of price/value versus people's expectations for your own product, not what others do. The right price, even if it is more expensive (it's also better hardware), should put the Digital Edition in a convenient spot.
I mean i went from ps5 at launch xbox 2021+

now I'm getting both a ps5 at launch and a series S at launch that price is insane.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You asked, I moved some connections, and now it is official. You can thank me later!
yeah...c8jq3.png

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Well at least we know the prizes for Series X and Series S now, which makes it more likely that the PS5 will be around 499 as well or somewhere between 449 and 549, though I guess they won't go 50+ above the Series X. I expect 499 for the PS5 and 399-449 for the discless option, depending on how hard they want to push this version and how much "loss" they are willing to take for selling the system. Undercutting the Series X by 50-100 would be great, but let's wait and see, what other choice do we have any way with Sony? ;)

To be honest, I don't even care if it will be 50 Euro more or less in the end for the PS5, 100+ on the other hand is another thing. Less is always appreciated, but as long as the cooling system for the PS5 will be heavily improved compared to the PS4 Pro, I'm totally willing to spend some more money on it (not that there will be options). But from the looks of it, it could be that the Series S might use a cheaper cooling solution? at least it's a lot smaller than the Series X, so just a guess from my side.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So it'S exactly happening as many predicted. MS blinked first due to Series S.

Sony got exactly what they hoped for imo.

299 for the S and 499 for the X means Sony can sell their consoles for 399 and 499 (or cheaper if they so desire (i don't think so).

The S is a nice device with a good price but Sony now has the sweet spot between 299 and 499. A hundred dollars more for a 4k console.

This plus their 3rd-party deals and exclusive games (hello Spider-Man at launch) is a great position for the entire gen.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

299 for the S and 499 for the X means Sony can sell their consoles for 399 and 499 (or cheaper if they so desire (i don't think so).

The S is a nice device with a good price but Sony now has the sweet spot between 299 and 499. A hundred dollars more for a 4k console.

This plus their 3rd-party deals and exclusive games (hello Spider-Man at launch) is a great position for the entire gen.

yeah, the final "desperate wish" of ps5 being more expensive than xsx will evaporate this month.....

my guess is cheaper. (3 6 c u s)

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Really nice write up about why I love both DG and Gravity Rush.

Days Gone 2 is going to be amazing with the PS5 and DS. I can just imagine the immersion you will get. Here is hoping GR3 does happen as well because the potential for that is even greater if designed for the PS5.

Definitely going to be a massive sequel if the first is any indication. And fingers crossed we get a Gravity Rush 3. Man, I can dream. The series deserves at least 1 more entry before bowing out. Two just feels like such a mean tease!

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think we're all feeling the high of finally having news after so long, but honestly as fantastic as both Xbox's are priced it doesn't change anything for me personally.

There will absolutely be a surge of posts saying things like "maybe Sony are scared to reveal the price now!" or "I can see PS5 being $599, fo realz tho"

But it's fine, just harmless banter.
Brand performances and their products are more independent each others than with TV/smartphone/computers where the content is identical. The videogame market is a racetrack, not a stadium, and cars are fuelled by an applauding'o'meter explaining how Nintendo can compete with a soapbox.

Here the biggest difference isn't on the consumer side (the price ratio betweem the two SKUs and services linked to it are same for more than three years now) but on studios and publishers. For now all advocates of Lockhart have dismissed every objections about how it would impact the publishing and the creation with "scaling". Now let's see how (all) professionals will respond.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Good, pressure is on Sony now to reveal. Better for them to actually do a hyped up event with games, than have it leak like this. MS has done well in revealing their hardware though, just poor on the games content side (which is the biggest deal for me). Sony needs to show something that makes gamers excited for what they can play on the console, alongside revealing price and date. But yeah, this confirms we will get price and date for Sony soon.

Nov 18, 2018
I guess 499 has to be the absolute ceiling for the PS5 price because I highly doubt they'll come in more expensive than series X, and I'm happy with that. 399 is my guess for the DE.

Fingers crossed for an event next week or the week after, there's not much point in them waiting much longer than that. I've been pretty chill about the waiting but I'm really eager to lock down a preorder now.

KOHIPEET

Oct 29, 2017
That series S price got me thinkig about a potential PS5s. Theoretically what would Sony need to do to come up with a similarly priced option? (Not that there's anything pointig to them needing to.)

Keep the same APU but drop the clock for the GPU and use a simpler cooling solution while also shrinking RAM size. Would that be enough?

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Now Sony can finally have their second PS5 presentation including price reveal that they probably have been sitting on for a couple of months now, lol.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good, pressure is on Sony now to reveal. Better for them to actually do a hyped up event with games, than have it leak like this. MS has done well in revealing their hardware though, just poor on the games content side (which is the biggest deal for me). Sony needs to show something that makes gamers excited for what they can play on the console, alongside revealing price and date. But yeah, this confirms we will get price and date for Sony soon.
Now Sony can finally have their second PS5 presentation including price reveal that they probably have been sitting on for a couple of months now, lol.
MS didn't reveal/confirm the XSX price yet. So Sony will keep waiting.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

100% this!

MS is doing fantastic on the hardware side but that's nothing new. The X was a great console already.

Their games situation is getting better and better but they're still years if not a whole generation behind Sony and Nintendo in terms of a well oiled 1st-party. I really hope they'll keep getting better. We need that competition.

Games, games, games is sonys big ace up their sleeve. The console seems to be great, the new controller is something fresh and classic at the same time and their services are getting better (slowly).

MS sadly has nothing so far to compete against sonys onslaught of games in their first year. 100$ cheaper doesn't help imo when you're up against Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, etc. And every important 3rd-party game will be on PS5 day 1.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get the feeling we won't know that until we know the price of the PS5. The Series S was always a non factor imo. The Series X has to be competitive with the PS5 DE.
I guess they will reveal the XSX price in the presentation/video they made for the XSS (a part of it already got leaked).

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Wait, there are still doubts the $499 is true? If the "leak" was able to show us the Series S in detail and state the price correctly, why should the Series X price be doubted?

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
I mean i went from ps5 at launch xbox 2021+ now I'm getting both a ps5 at launch and a series S at launch that price is insane.
It was a broad comment meant for the general public. We're enthusiasts, a niche of the market, who own multiple systems (with the cost that implies) or discuss/read about video games on the Internet. As you already said, it was in your mind to buy both systems sooner or later. A cheaper model has only accelerated your earlier decision (in the process, perhaps cutting MS' gains a few hundred dollars short, in case before you were thinking on buying the more expensive model).

For the regular customer, the people who only cares about its particular brand, or all the kids and families who buy based on different metrics, I'm convinced (though it's only an opinion) that this is an small factor. These holidays, the best-selling system will be the one released three years ago. This generation, Xbox had a cheaper alternative for years. It's been sold on clearance almost for a similar time. People bought it, of course, gamers or not. Yet it was mostly ignored compared to other Xbox systems, unless the price plummeted like a rock.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
yeah the stupid 599 dream is dead. thank you MS.

I'm locking in 399/499$

let's get talking Sony.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, there are still doubts the $499 is true? If the "leak" was able to show us the Series S in detail and state the price correctly, why should the Series X price be doubted?
MS only confirmed the XSS price a few minutes ago. Not the XSX price. So leaks are nice, but it's not official.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
MS only confirmed the XSS price a few minutes ago. Not the XSX price. So leaks are nice, but it's not official.

but since the leak was spot on, I doubt anything is gonna be different now. I think all that WC leaks are true. the fact that they announced it soon after the leak made it out is the biggest confirmation we can get for it

score01

Oct 27, 2017

To be fair, they were basically forced into it by the leaks of the Series S pics. I dont imagine that announcing it via a twitter post was how they planned for the announcement but at least we have broken the dead lock.

Lets see how hungry Sony is now.

499full / 449de would be arrogant Sony (doing the bare minimum)
499full / 399de would be attentive Sony (minimising potential impact of Series S)
449full / 399de would be violent Sony (taking no prisoners)

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but since the leak was spot on, I doubt anything is gonna be different now. I think all that WC leaks are true. the fact that they announced it soon after the leak made it out is the biggest confirmation we can get for it
Them only confirming the XSS price should tell you what's going on. They want to wait for the PS5 price. And Sony will kepp waiting for the XSX price.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

That doesn't matter. It means that the XSX has to be $499 on more, since otherwise it wouldn't make the XSS a particularly good value proposition by comparison. They are going for a stratified model, so it will be $499 or quite possibly $599. I doubt the latter now though, particularly with Nvidia bringing out the 3070 at 499 and being a fair bit more powerful.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
Jesus fucking christ that thing is ugly.

If I had to guess I'd say MS goes this week with 299/499 and Sony next week with 399/449

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Them only confirming the XSS price should tell you what's going on. They want to wait for the PS5 price. And Sony will kepp waiting for the XSX price.

I think there is an event happening for MS next week which was gonna be the place where they reveal all this news that got leaked. that I think I still on the schedule. the fact that people at MS are also pointing out that news is coming soon on social media is pretty all I need to know tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.