• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
There has been discussion of rolling it into a flu shot, which I'd be fine with. Once we're over the hump it won't be nearly as daunting.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There has been discussion of rolling it into a flu shot, which I'd be fine with. Once we're over the hump it won't be nearly as daunting.
I'd prefer if they could roll it into a shot to protect against all coronaviruses. A good universal flu vaccine to mix that with is far away, but they should take this chance to eliminate those four pesky common cold coronaviruses.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who had COVID, I'm quite happy to get a new dose each year in the hopes I don't have to go through that again.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Anecdotal but I volunteered at a vaccine POD and was stationed at the actual injection tent with 2 nurses who asked every person if they'd had any other vaccinations in the prior 2 weeks. I'd imagine you might have to spread them out but I'm obviously not a medical professional.
Also not a medical professional but when my kids got their shots as babies / toddlers IIRC they combined some of them into a single shot containing multiple vaccines.

brotherbean

Oct 26, 2017
Oh jeez. I'd obviously rather get the shot than get COVID, but that 2nd dose dropped me like a sack of dirt. Not looking forward to reliving that.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have nothing against wearing a mask right now, when we're in a pandemic. I sincerely hope that this shit doesn't remain the same beyond this year... In 2022 or 2023 I don't want mask wearing to be the norm.

And I sincerely hope COVID-19 vaccinations don't require annual booster shots. I just want everything to go back to normal (eventually). No masks, 20,000 fans in a hockey arena, freely sitting inside a restaurant, etc.

That has to be the goal (eventually). Whether it's 2022 or 2023. I will not be happy if we have to wear masks forever.

Man, it's going to be a long time before I feel comfortable not wearing a mask in public. Like... maybe 2-3 years.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Good thing is that since the virus is just the virus at that point, it shouldn't matter who makes the vaccine itself that far out.I'll be cool with it just being part of my yearly round of shots.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's going to require the same company for the rest of your life, or you can switch. Or if they like... work together to standardize it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if it's going to require the same company for the rest of your life, or you can switch. Or if they like... work together to standardize it.
Moderna and Pfizer are virtually the same, and there have already been experiments with mixing and matching. Some of the existing vaccines are even already based on that approach. It is just that we'll have to see which companies will be trusted by the USA, the EU and so on. Like the EU has already decided to focus on Pfizer/Moderna for the booster order.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks they can't make a single-dose lifetime vaccine.

But, once a year seems simple enough. Wonder how effective it might be? A full 12 month immunity?

I wish I understood vaccines more. Why some last forever and others are just temporary.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Hook it to the back of my head:

Corrupt

Shinra Employee
Oct 31, 2017
They're already researching putting future covid vaccinations into pill form, if they managed that it would help the uptake and distribution, the nasal inhalers also look promising providing their own benefits. Not to mention they will get better at treating the illness, they've already had some treatments that seem to reduce the length of the illness by a couple of days. Things will get better.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
I wish I understood vaccines more. Why some last forever and others are just temporary.
There is probably two vaccines that you think of that need renewal once you are an adult:
  • tetanus: studies showed antibody effectiveness waning so boosters are required. But some studies imply it might last longer than we think.
  • flu: the vaccine offers forever protection against the viruses included, but the flu virus itself changes really fast.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I'm coming up on my 6 month vaccination mark and all I can do is hope the shot is still effective. It's going to suck if the protection has waned.

Oct 25, 2017
Hull, England
This thread has made me realise I've not had a single injection of any kind since 2001. I will be getting the vaccine for covid as soon as I am offered it here in the UK but it will be my first shot of any kind for 20 years.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to be wary of this until we have actual evidence to back it up, because of course the people making the vaccine would like to be able to continue selling it year after year even if it's no longer necessary. We don't currently have any real evidence that this is necessary (in part because it's still too early for such evidence to even appear). It might be correct, but let's not jump to conclusions because of what a ceo with a vested interest in selling more of the product is saying

It's like you think nobody is going to check him on this and just backup up dump truck with $300 million to his house.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
No surprise. Flu shot every year, COVID shot every year now, too.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
Was just saying this to someone, until we get most of the planet vaccinated I don't see how the annual booster isn't a thing.

It's no where near over but if people could calm down for 5 mins we might get there

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Might as well post this here with so many people think it's just the pharma talking. We still have to wait and see how often but consider how long it's going to take to get the glob vaccinated we need to plan ahead.

www.cnbc.com

Dr. Fauci: 'We very well may need to get booster shots' for Covid — here's when

Booster shots may be necessary for lasting protection from Covid vaccines. Here's when Dr. Anthony Fauci says that could happen.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I assumed a booster would be required at some point, I just didn't know if they'd decide on an annual shot or a 5/10 year booster.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
This is known and should have been clear to everyone. You're not taking a "cure" anymore than you take a "cure" for the common flu when you go to the pharmacist. We will be getting shots annually to protect you for a period of time.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I figured as much as I heard the protection wanes with time, and also need to add any boosters for variants.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Damn that's not good. People won't want to go through getting another covid shot again, especially if they had a bad reaction to it. That will ensure covid will never go away and people will continue to die. Hopefully enough people stay vaccinated to keep the numbers down.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
I mean if it's needed, I will absolutely take it. The second dose just hit me for like four days though. Especially hard the first two days. Made working the third and fourth day miserable as hell though.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
Is there any way you can find out if your still protected personally?

I'm not sure as a trial participant the only medical information provided to me was that I got the actual vaccine instead of the placebo. I go back for follow up blood work next month but o don't think they will be sharing that data with participants. I wonder if they offer boosters if it will be blinded again?

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
Doesn't bother me much considering that both the 1st and 2nd jabs (pfizer) only gave me a sore arm, but for those who got wrecked for a day or two after I definitely sympathize. My family generally did not have fun after jab 2 (moderna).

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I figured it would probably be an annual thing like flu shots, so I'm fine with it. Obviously it lasting longer would be better, but I won't complain.

x3sphere

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of people that aren't going to bother. Hopefully Covid still isn't as easy to get after the 12 months are up, otherwise I don't see it ever going away to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting here with a splitting headache five hours after my first Phizer dose and I'll happily do it every year if it keeps Covid at bay.